Otay Mountain Ride (San Diego) <40 miles

FlyboyEUC

Meeting at 9:45 am at the Pio Pico Country store. 14615 Otay Lakes Rd, Jamul, CA 91935

Date: Feb 29th

Miles: Minimum of 12 miles (including a 3000 ft climb in 4.5 miles)and a max of 30 miles (8,000 ft elevation climb). The nature of this allows riders of different weights and batteries determine their path. We will stay together until we get to the top of the mountain 6 miles in, then after that depending on batteries, people can either head back down the mountain or continue on for the full 30 miles. 1600wh wheels are required to do the full ride but again any wheel is welcome to come to the top of the mountain.

https://goo.gl/maps/bkbkRw78GXffoH396 

Description: The dirt road is very nice but steep at the beginning, it overheated two MSX's. As this is a mountain ride, there are steep shoulders with no railing (although if you stay away from the edge you'll be fine). This entire road is accessible via car so if you want to join in your non-compact car, feel free (could be nice for anyone with a smaller wheel). Since I could not make a loop of this ride we are going to go up the mountain and ride around until we can't go any further. Battery management is going to be important here because the only way out is to climb a 3,000 ft mountain. I do not wish to scare anyone with this information but I want people to know what to expect. See the video below for current road conditions. Any wheel can join us but you might have to head back early if you are running low (or hop in a car if someone brings one). We will eat lunch at Coyote Cafe at the end of the ride. No charging available during the ride. Please charge to 100% a couple times if you want to do the whole ride and there will be no hot-dogging allowed on the way up the mountain ;)

@Marty Backe is coming so any riders in LA might be able to carpool down. @Freewheeler Feel free to do your invite everyone thing. 

Update: The final route is 29 miles and we can ride along the border wall. The XL made the return trip up the mountain at 40% battery with a 190 lb. rider and the 100v 1860wh MSX had 35% battery at the top. At the bottom and end of the ride we both had roughly 45% battery.   

Edited by Flyboy10
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Update: I just did this ride and it is amazing! Please bring water, sunscreen, a full battery, sunglasses, and a snack. See my instagram post for pics and the video I posted above. The road gets steep at times so be cautious if you bring a monster. I hope you guys are excited.

Edited by Flyboy10
  • Like 2