OC, CA ~ SUNDAY Beach Cities Trail Ride ~ August 4th, 2019 10 a.m.

20 hours ago, Dave U said:

NOTE: My son and I walked inside a restaurant with our wheels and right away we were told to go outside. The reason I'm bring this up is that we have to go inside in order to access the upstairs outside patio. Just a thought?

Wow! That sucks!

You can't even put them next to you then? That defies the purpose of portability.

I wonder if you had them in a backpack, would they tell you the same?

EDIT: adding a link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/universal-electric-unicycle-backpack-for-16inch-single-wheel-backpack/254199836568?hash=item3b2f7daf98:m:mWE-ppLCpZTy57r0waTKkQw

Edited by Yellowman
Adding a link
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Kens said:

+ @Marty Backe  @M22 Brandon & Donut and any other rider that would like to join this easy roll through the beach that FreeWheeler is Hosting.

On 7/25/2019 at 12:18 AM, Freewheeler said:

If free, "safe"parking is an attraction the city of Newport has a free shuttle from Avon Lot 2. One of the shuttle's first stops is Newport's Ocean Front W beachwalk. The shuttle driver provides a code that makes parking in that lot free. :)

Screenshot_20190725-001035.thumb.png.4fa99657bd93340e9fbc879d1bf85f7d.png

Right off of Pacific Coast Highway, #1 & P circled in white (FREE TROLLEY PARKING) on this Balboa Peninsula Trolley Map above

• Upvote 1

On 7/26/2019 at 9:21 PM, Yellowman said:

I decided not to engage in a group ride until I have 1500 miles under my belt.

I will stay solo for now. Good luck guys. 

:blink1: I started conducting group rides after I only had a few hundred miles. 1500? That's really conservative. Yikes.

Thanks @Kens for tagging SoCal riders.

Hey @Marty Backe. Good to see you. :efee6b18f3:@Yellowman and I took a recon ride last Sunday and he's gonna be just fine. Thanks for your advice on my V10F... I'm lovin' it. And thanks for suggesting that I form a ride down here. Cheers! :cheers:

@TedTheAtheist. Oops. Good catch. Avon Lot 2 is Googleable but here's the address: 

208 Tustin Ave, Newport Beach, CA 92663

@Everyone... I called Harry's Grill and while they don't have outlets upstairs they do have them in the restaurant at ground level. So, if you need a charge it's probably best to do it while grabbing a bite to eat. 

In fact, I'd like to get a feel for how many people will need to charge up. Please chime in... because if it ends up being a lot of us then I may have to rethink the lunch spot.

Edited by Freewheeler
  • Upvote 1

I'm a high energy guy after getting ACM2 :efefa6edcf:

This wheel seems run forever for me. If I lose more weight it probably getting charged while riding :laughbounce2:

@Dave U will your high energy Nikola arrived before this Sunday? :efef2e0fff:

33 minutes ago, Freewheeler said:

Thanks @Kens for tagging SoCal riders.

Hey @Marty Backe. Good to see you. :efee6b18f3:@Yellowman and I took a recon ride last Sunday and he's gonna be just fine. Thanks for your advice on my V10F... I'm lovin' it. And thanks for suggesting that I form a ride down here. Cheers! :cheers:

@TedTheAtheist. Oops. Good catch. Avon Lot 2 is Googleable but here's the address: 

208 Tustin Ave, Newport Beach, CA 92663

@Everyone... I called Harry's Grill and while they don't have outlets upstairs they do have them in the restaurant at ground level. So, if you need a charge it's probably best to do it while grabbing a bite to eat. 

In fact, I'd like to get a feel for how many people will need to charge up. Please chime in... because if it ends up being a lot of us then I may have to rethink the lunch spot.

One more thing FreeWheeler forgot to mention is RSVP here so he could have a head count for attending the lunch in:popcorn::eff00eab1e: we'll be having when we reach Sunset Beach.

Meet up time @ 9:30 am, Rolling @ 10:00 am

Beach Weather:  79 degrees

At these lower speeds I should be OK reaching 32 miles (KS18L) round trip but just to be on the safe side :efefc8626c: I myself would like to charge just for that extra mile. I'm getting tired of pushing it in these 80 degrees + :shock2: by the way

RSVP: My son and I will be attending

25 minutes ago, Kens said:

I'm a high energy guy after getting ACM2 :efefa6edcf:

This wheel seems run forever for me. If I lose more weight it probably getting charged while riding :laughbounce2:

@Dave U will your high energy Nikola arrived before this Sunday? :efef2e0fff:

Sad to say NO! :( but i got an email the other day that its on the Boat. It won't be here until after Aug 16 :eff006f726:

Edited by Dave U
  • Like 1

Well, count me in.   It's 57 miles from my house in the morning on my day off but I'll make it.   

I might have close to 1500 miles on my wheel by then so I should be good B)

• Like 2

On 7/30/2019 at 12:00 PM, Dave U said:

Brandon & Donut and any other rider that would like to join this easy roll through the beach that FreeWheeler is Hosting.

Brandon and I (and possibly Donut) are in but we have to leave early so Brandon and I are going to start in Bolsa Chica or Sunset Beach and ride to meet you all at Balboa Pier. Hopefully we will be there on time. If not, we will just see you guys when we pass on the trail. Hopefully, I'm not following the wrong group of unicyclers. 

We actually did a portion of this ride from Bolsa Chica about 3 miles up last month when we arrive at the beach early to meet people. It's a very nice beach ride. I love the fact that wheels are so portable that I can just toss it in JUST IN CASE we need it.

btw, we should be good on power. If I run low, I'll just switch wheels with Brandon. 

• Like 3

On 7/20/2019 at 3:33 PM, Freewheeler said:

Calling all wheelers: How about a Sunday ride along some O.C. beach cities August 4th?

I've been grounded since mid May due to a downed wheel. I'm getting a brand spanking new wheel this week so I need the get out there. I thought a nice, long, beachside ride would be nice.

Post your interest anywhere in here.

PLEASE RSVP here for lunch in Sunset Beach.

Arrive earlier if you want to get the free parking. Here's the link to my post on how to get free parking. It requires some advance preparation and even a few minutes more on the day of the ride. Please do as much of the app work ahead of time so that we can all take the first available shuttle.

Meet up: Avon Lot 2 at 10:00 a.m.

Address: 208 Tustin Ave, Newport Beach, CA

Route: We'll take the shuttle from Avon Lot 2 to Balboa Peninsula. Then take the beach side bike path up through Newport Beach. Then the beach side bike path up through Huntington Beach. There'll be a short side trip up Main Street for the more adventurous types. We'll continue on up the beach side bike path to Sunset Beach for lunch, refreshments :cheers: and recharging (for the mere mortals) :P and then back to Newport. We'll jump back on the shuttle at any number of stops (in other words, we don't have to go all the way back to Balboa Peninsula).

Total miles: Approx 30-/+

Skill: Moderate (pedestrians, bikes). We'll be on hard, flat, level ground for most of the ride. There are a couple of short distances we'll cover on side, residential streets and a short distance on the sidewalk along PCH to cross the bridge.

Photo opps: Yup

Recharge opps: Yup

Food opps: Yup

Drinking opps: Duh! 

Good times: Oh yeah.

All comments are welcome.

Please RSVP.

So far I have..

Ride and lunch: @Freewheeler  @Marty Backe @Kens @Dave U +1  @n2eus + 1 and  @UpDownGo

Ride only:

@John Wood+1 @maltocs+1 & Donut

Possible: 

@TedTheAtheist

If anything's incorrect let me know. 

Edited by Dave U

35 minutes ago, maltocs said:

Brandon and I (and possibly Donut) are in but we have to leave early so Brandon and I are going to start in Bolsa Chica or Sunset Beach and ride to meet you all at Balboa Pier. Hopefully we will be there on time. If not, we will just see you guys when we pass on the trail. Hopefully, I'm not following the wrong group of unicyclers. 

If you see their pedals moving in alternating circular motion then run away! :lol:

If they recycling one bottle at a time then you are also following the wrong group (Uni = one, cycler = recycler got it?:efefa6edcf:

You know you following the right group when they are wearing full motorcycle armor in hot summer day and zipping around while standing motionless like bunch of Buckingham palace guard in the morning. :efee8319ab:

Ok I'll go away now... :eff02518bb:

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Kens said:

If you see their pedals moving in alternating circular motion then run away! :lol:

If they recycling one bottle at a time then you are also following the wrong group (Uni = one, cycler = recycler got it?:efefa6edcf:

You know you following the right group when they are wearing full motorcycle armor in hot summer day and zipping around while standing motionless like bunch of Buckingham palace guard in the morning. :efee8319ab:

Ok I'll go away now... :eff02518bb:

I like to think of us like Medieval Knights as in addition to the full armor, half of us are carrying jousting (selfie) sticks. 

55 minutes ago, maltocs said:

ride to meet you all at Balboa Pier. Hopefully we will be there on time.

We will be rolling at 10:00 am from the parking lot. Its a 3.6 mile ride down to Balboa Pier so we should be there soon after/around 10:20 +/- 5 min.

4 minutes ago, Dave U said:

We will be rolling at 10:00 am from the parking lot. Its a 3.6 mile ride down to Balboa Pier so we should be there soon after/around 10:20 +/- 5 min.

I figure if we are rolling at 9a, we should get there at 10a and just explore until the tram arrives. Google maps shows 13.8m and 67 mins. 

image.png.0f4d8b8681d4621994a90be48afb6396.png

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, maltocs said:

I like to think of us like Medieval Knights as in addition to the full armor, half of us are carrying jousting (selfie) sticks. 

Hmm I can see that..

jby1Wka.png

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, maltocs said:

I figure if we are rolling at 9a, we should get there at 10a and just explore until the tram arrives. Google maps shows 13.8m and 67 mins. 

Scot will you and Brandon be eating lunch with us, or just the ride up? We are going to call in and reserve the second floor Outside Patio at Harry's

8 hours ago, Dave U said:

I think it took Yellowman and I a bit longer than that because of slowdowns.

We'lldo a quick three minute briefing at 10 before we board the shuttle so stick around for that if you would. Then.... we'll meet up at the pier. See next section for rallying point 

8 hours ago, maltocs said:

Sure thing. There's a park near the pier that has walkways and a pavilion. Maybe that would be a good rallying point?