OC, CA ~ SUNDAY Beach Cities Trail Ride ~ August 4th, 2019 10 a.m.

Only 25 miles round trip? That's how far @Marty Backe goes when throwing his trash at night :lol:

But seriously I think it's a good length so those with 800Wh+ wheel can join while also going slower to enjoy the breeze!

I see there's a lot of photo opportunities along the way which is great but.. have you ever going from NPB to Laguna Beach? There are some point where we can't go across without going to the PCH. Unless you want to go down to the beach itself? :blink:

Edited by Kens
  • Like 1

On 7/20/2019 at 3:33 PM, Freewheeler said:

I'm thinking about a lunch stop in either Laguna Beach or at Dana Point Harbor.

Will we be able to do a fast charge at either lunch stop? so we could include Dana Point Harbor for an additional 16 miles round trip, longer rides are way better.

On 7/20/2019 at 3:33 PM, Freewheeler said:

I'm getting a brand spanking new wheel this week so I need the get out there.

Wheel of choice?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kens said:

Only 25 miles round trip? That's how far @Marty Backe goes when throwing his trash at night :lol:

But seriously I think it's a good length so those with 800Wh+ wheel can join while also going slower to enjoy the breeze!

I see there's a lot of photo opportunities along the way which is great but.. have you ever going from NPB to Laguna Beach? There are some point where we can't go across without going to the PCH. Unless you want to go down to the beach itself? :blink:

I thought the same thing. So many of the popular LA rides are epic but the distances are out of reach for some. And this is my first time organizing a ride so I don't want to bite off more than I can chew.

I'd like to scout a route this weekend. I'll start PCH and head toward Superior. Then take Balboa Blvd to Ocean Front W.

See and be seen at Newport Pier and then on down the Balboa Peninsula (a few opps there too). Cross the pedestrian ferry ($2?) to Balboa Island and take Bayside through Corona Del Mar to roughly parallel PCH.

0.75 mi down PCH to Crystal Cove Trail. There is a 1.5 mi stretch where'd I'd be on PCH however the Northbound bike lane is really wide so I'll go against the grain there.

Once in Laguna I'm in my old stomping grounds so Baycrest and Cliff Drive can keep me mostly off PCH. From there it's on to downtown for a recharge, drink and eats. 

If need be I'll route it including Dana Point Harbor but I'm hoping we can be good without it. 

51 minutes ago, Dave U said:

Will we be able to do a fast charge at either lunch stop? so we could include Dana Point Harbor for an additional 16 miles round trip, longer rides are way better.

Wheel of choice?

I'm up for anything but would prefer NB to Laguna and back. I've not organized a ride yet so I'd like to officially keep it modest. Even so, I'm still up for anything; lunch, drinks, recharge, girl watching etc. 

I'll be on a V10F.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Freewheeler said:

I thought the same thing. So many of the popular LA rides are epic but the distances are out of reach for some. And this is my first time organizing a ride so I don't want to bite off more than I can chew.

I'd like to scout a route this weekend. I'll start PCH and head toward Superior. Then take Balboa Blvd to Ocean Front W.

See and be seen at Newport Pier and then on down the Balboa Peninsula (a few opps there too). Cross the pedestrian ferry ($2?) to Balboa Island and take Bayside through Corona Del Mar to roughly parallel PCH.

0.75 mi down PCH to Crystal Cove Trail. There is a 1.5 mi stretch where'd I'd be on PCH however the Northbound bike lane is really wide so I'll go against the grain there.

Once in Laguna I'm in my old stomping grounds so Baycrest and Cliff Drive can keep me mostly off PCH. From there it's on to downtown for a recharge, drink and eats. 

If need be I'll route it including Dana Point Harbor but I'm hoping we can be good without it. 

I'm up for anything but would prefer NB to Laguna and back. I've not organized a ride yet so I'd like to officially keep it modest. Even so, I'm still up for anything; lunch, drinks, recharge, girl watching etc. 

I'll be on a V10F.

Ok few feed backs:

1. It is safe to park at the starting point?
  2. I think your route from NPB to Laguna Beach is great! :thumbup:
  3. Will your V10F make it without recharge?
  4. If not our lunch place must have outdoor seating, open outlets, and permission to use it.
  5. I see a lot of Mediterranean food there :efefd0f676:
  6. Trips to Dana Point might not worth it because we will be mostly on PCH no?
  7. If the consensus here want longer ride how about starting from Huntington Beach or even from Sunset Beach? :efefa6edcf:

Oh yeah congrats for your brand spankin' new wheel! Wooohooo!! :clap3:

It is safe to park at the starting point?

Safe as in crime? Sure. At least as much as one can hope. Safe as in it won't get hit or scratched? Again, no more or less than nearly anywhere else. As in legal? Yup. I've parked along PCH before for free and there's also nearby paid, off street parking in Avon Lot #2. I

Will your V10F make it without recharge?

I'll be getting my actual range this weekend, taking into account my kitted weight and the route. I'm hoping to make but there's a possibility I might have to recharge. Watch this space.

Trips to Dana Point might not worth it because we will be mostly on PCH no? If the consensus here want longer ride how about starting from Huntington Beach or even from Sunset Beach? 

That's a great idea. I'll pre-game that into the mix and see what shakes loose.

Oh yeah congrats for your brand spankin' new wheel! Wooohooo!! 

Thank you! I put 2000km on my used IPS Zero over 6 months and I've been in withdrawls :w00t2: since my it crapped out about two months ago. But it held up surprisingly well considering I bartered to get it with a $50 Amazon gift card. :roflmao:

Even the V10F might be a waypoint toward a larger cap wheel. I'll see. But what an improvement over what I was riding.

Thanks for the great feedback guys! Watch this space for updates. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Kens said:
  • Trips to Dana Point might not worth it because we will be mostly on PCH no?
  • If the consensus here want longer ride how about starting from Huntington Beach or even from Sunset Beach? 

Looking at a map of this ride looks like it will be mostly on streets and PCH instead of beach bike trails.

4 hours ago, Freewheeler said:

That's a great idea. I'll pre-game that into the mix and see what shakes loose.

I have a suggestion:

Starting at Le Bard Park (Huntington Beach City) with plenty of free parking adjacent to the Santa Ana River, head south on the Santa Ana River Bike Trail towards Huntington Beach (2 miles). Once on the beach bike trail head north to Bolsa Chica State Beach and return from here back to Santa Ana River meets the beach, but this time we will ride north on Banning Channel Bike Way (2 miles) on the opposite side of the river up to Fair View Park where we can explore some mild dirt trails/roads (no rocks / sand pits) to add a mix into the ride. Riders will then cross the Bike Bridge adjacent to the park into the final destination. Total of around 20 miles of sight seeing! all on bike trails. For additional length (approximately 7 miles each way) the ride could be extended to pass the river staying on the beach trails to Newport Balboa bike trail until it ends and return.Total of around 34 miles but some riders might need a fast charge?

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Dave U said:

Looking at a map of this ride looks like it will be mostly on streets and PCH instead of beach bike trails.

I have a suggestion:

Starting at Le Bard Park (Huntington Beach City) with plenty of free parking adjacent to the Santa Ana River, head south on the Santa Ana River Bike Trail towards Huntington Beach (2 miles). Once on the beach bike trail head north to Bolsa Chica State Beach and return from here back to Santa Ana River meets the beach, but this time we will ride north on Banning Channel Bike Way (2 miles) on the opposite side of the river up to Fair View Park where we can explore some mild dirt trails/roads (no rocks / sand pits) to add a mix into the ride. Riders will then cross the Bike Bridge adjacent to the park into the final destination. Total of around 20 miles of sight seeing! all on bike trails. For additional length (approximately 7 miles each way) the ride could be extended to pass the river staying on the beach trails to Newport Balboa bike trail until it ends and return.Total of around 34 miles but some riders might need a fast charge?

Le Bard Park seems have a lot of parking. A good starting point!

So your suggestion route will be like this?

MviMvtr.png

No Laguna Beach?

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Kens said:

Le Bard Park seems have a lot of parking. A good starting point!

So your suggestion route will be like this?

MviMvtr.png

No Laguna Beach?

Damn why didn't i think of this :facepalm:. I was off by 1.4 miles.

Its a great ride, Brian and I went on this ride last summer.

No Laguna beach cause looks like it might all be streets or PCH riding.

Thanks for the map Kenny :cheers:

• Like 1

I'm up for anything. Especially if anyone else wants to run it :D.

The route to Laguna does have some residential and some on PCH but I just love that town (I really regret moving from there). Here's a link to a preview of a new route with free parking and a ride along Back Bay in Newport. It doesn't include HB only because the maps can only do so many steps. It even ends before downtown Laguna but you can clearly see the path from there that we could take along the bluff with that magnificent view. And look at the part from Corona Del Mar and you'll see Crystal Cove trail along the coast with a view.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/uXjTMBF28PgZpjua6

We could return, do the ferry, go up Balboa and on to HB and back up Back Bay. But, like I said I'm up for anything. I just need to wheeeeeeeeeeeeeel! :roflmao:

48 minutes ago, Freewheeler said:

I'm up for anything. Especially if anyone else wants to run it :D.

"(interest poll)",  "All comments are welcome". Remember? Its your ride, we are simple suggesting options for you to take the lead.. let us know? mean while I'll be reading other Threads :popcorn:

It's just performance anxiety. Don't worry about it. I'm fine... organizing a ride for the first time... on a route I've never taken.  :efee96588e:

Seriously though, I think the ride is shaping up nicely. I'm ordering a fast charger from Jason (can't believe I didn't get one when I ordered the wheel). :facepalm: I'll scout the route Saturday, see how my wheel handles me as cargo and report back.

But hey, isn't it an EUC infraction to be that close to a Hooters and not stop in?  :laughbounce2:

FedEx said my wheel will be here before 8 p.m. and every minute that passes the more I think it won't show up. Ughhh. This addiction has always been awesome, but it'll suck until I get my fix. Less than 60 minutes.. tick............ tock............ tick........... tock..........

What day sounds good? The third? The tenth? And where would be a good pitstop in HB? BJs Brewhouse? Sharkeez? HBBC? 

:cheers:

6 minutes ago, Freewheeler said:

It's just performance anxiety. Don't worry about it. I'm fine... organizing a ride for the first time... on a route I've never taken.  :efee96588e:

Seriously though, I think the ride is shaping up nicely. I'm ordering a fast charger from Jason (can't believe I didn't get one when I ordered the wheel). :facepalm: I'll scout the route Saturday, see how my wheel handles me as cargo and report back.

But hey, isn't it an EUC infraction to be that close to a Hooters and not stop in?  :laughbounce2:

FedEx said my wheel will be here before 8 p.m. and every minute that passes the more I think it won't show up. Ughhh. This addiction has always been awesome, but it'll suck until I get my fix. Less than 60 minutes.. tick............ tock............ tick........... tock..........

What day sounds good? The third? The tenth? And where would be a good pitstop in HB? BJs Brewhouse? Sharkeez? HBBC? 

:cheers:

Its all good. Most riders like to stay off the streets and Highways cause of all the traffic involved. Most group rides are on Saturdays so August 3rd sounds good. If you distant the timing too long everything tends to change and you start losing riders cause of different engagements that come along. To be honest with you, you should do a group ride that stays on beach trails so we don't have to keep looking back to see how close cars are and all the stop signs and red lights? Its just more relaxing on bike trails that are off streets, it just keeps on going :roflmao: until we do a lunch break.

Hooters sounds good, other group rides always stop at the Long Beach Hooters to eat drink and juice up (fast charge) of course with permission, they are super cool with it!. During your scouting for the lunch break, try to pick a place that has outside dining with plugs/outlets and of course let them know you will have a group ride and if its cool to use their outside outlets to charge while we are feasting? if they ask how many? simply say around 3 through 4 wheels would need to be charged. :whistling: don't scare them :facepalm: but will be around 6 + riders eating and drinking :cheers:

Fed Ex won't be there until 9pm :eff006f726: :laughbounce2: or send you a text to reschedule for tomorrow :shock2:

Don't forget to ask Jason for your discount on your fast charger since you are his customer.

But seriously more riders will attend if you keep it off the streets.

10 minutes ago, Freewheeler said:

Ahhh....  

IMG_20190723_210657762_HDR.jpg

You got it, Nice! Give her a full charge and pump up the tire air pressure. what wheel did yo have before? IPS , got it.

Edited by Dave U

Already aired up, first thing I did. And it came with full bars!

I had the IPS Zero before so I essentially quadrupled my range if not more. I'm not much of a speed demon since I never could go too fast so I'll have to work on that to keep up with you guys.

Got my helmet and wristguards but I gotta order some knee protection. I never did like wearing headphones so I love having speakers. Now I can listen AND hear. Caught up on NPR radio while wheeling out there.

Good tips about the ride. Will do. Aug 3rd it is.

I wasn't fully kitted out but I ran her for a good hour to get used to handling her, blow some wind up her chute, cool off, etc. and it still says 40 mi left. So, about what I expected. Saturday I'll shake it loose for real and see what mileage I get.

Now I just gotta put some kms behind me to bust her outta speed limiter jail.

Edited by Freewheeler

12 minutes ago, Freewheeler said:

Got my helmet and wristguards but I gotta order some knee protection

Full face helmet hopefully plus you still need knee pads and elbow pads? Sound like you need to log into Amazon and start ordering. Don't forget to slime your wheel before a potential flat, it really works. I learned the hard way but had good company to help me out and keep riding.

Edited by Dave U
  • Like 1

Just now, Dave U said:

...you need to log into Amazon and start ordering.

Oh yeah. My favorite pastime. I know we aren't supposed to like shopping but it's more like Xmas than anything else really.. just playing on my phone and opening presents. I'm really good to me too, so there's that.

Gotta rise waaaaay to early for work, so I'm off.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSE724w8_hHxEDy2aDwNcj

• Like 1

On 7/23/2019 at 10:56 AM, Dave U said:

...Total of around 20 miles of sight seeing! all on bike trails. For additional length (approximately 7 miles each way) the ride could be extended to pass the river staying on the beach trails to Newport Balboa bike trail until it ends and return.Total of around 34 miles....

@Dave  

I mapped it out and Google Maps calls it 22 miles. Can that be right? Here's a link to the route I made:

1 hr 48 min (22 mi)

Choose "edit stops" and it will give you the mileage.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/kCLfdVi9qQC1PYwh

Screenshot_20190724-170142.png

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Freewheeler said:

@Dave  

I mapped it out and Google Maps calls it 22 miles. Can that be right? Here's a link to the route I made:

1 hr 48 min (22 mi)

Choose "edit stops" and it will give you the mileage.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/kCLfdVi9qQC1PYwh

Screenshot_20190724-170142.png

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/33.6632356,-117.9402999/33.631812,-117.9591537/33.7115721,-118.0645543/33.6159464,-117.9354801/33.5955091,-117.8820023/BJ's+Restaurant+%26+Brewhouse,+Main+Street,+Newport+Beach,+CA/33.6614609,-117.9395239/@33.6547967,-117.9713814,9733m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m17!4m16!1m0!1m1!4e1!1m0!1m1!4e1!1m1!4e1!1m5!1m1!1s0x80dce06b132ba04f:0x85ac5cab7eb1e7cc!2m2!1d-117.8994856!2d33.601518!1m0!3e1

Here you go , you missed a few miles.  @Kens has the correct map route up above from yesterdays post.

On 7/23/2019 at 9:42 PM, Dave U said:

Don't forget to slime your wheel before a potential flat, it really works

What do you mean please?

I am a newbie with my first wheel ever and can make use of a good advise. 

I came home today after a nice ride and started charging my wheel. I dozed off around 6 but I was jolted awake by the smoke detector a few hours later.

Trying to peer into the darkness I ran over to it, half asleep, thoroughly rattled. I started jumping at the damn thing like an idiot, went and got a step stool, knocked it down and skillfully killed it.

No one was cooking, and no one here smokes so I was puzzled at what could have triggered the alarm. Then, in abject terror I thought about my girl! I raced down the hallway, it seemed to stretch out like it does in horror movies. My legs were like jello, I couldnt seem to get up any speed. I turned the corner, flung open the door and that's when a gut wrenching realization washed over me...

..the smoke alarm must be defective. :P

Thanks for pointing out the route error @Dave U I'll blame the fact that I missed that on equal parts of exhaustion, distraction and carelessness. Keep an eye on me guys because this type of incident accounts for nearly all of my charm. :blink:

I'm absolutely loving the hell outta my girl. I've got her stripped down to her birthday suit because I'm already comfortable I'm not gonna dump her. Got my helmet mirror, rapid charger, elbow and knee pads coming. 

I'm moving Saturday so the recon will actually be Sunday.  :blink1: The only song I can think of for Sunday is from U2... and I ain't gonna quote that one for the obvious reason.

7 minutes ago, Yellowman said:

What do you mean please?

Welcome to the forum @Yellowman. And congratulations on getting what I feel is the most entertaining form of personal transport. 

@Dave U is referring to this stuff:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000ENSRS0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_t1_WRtoDbJJ90E8M

Screenshot_20190724-221417.thumb.jpg.ca6e7a7f4984a17d6e37baa6372cf2d1.jpg

Edited by Freewheeler

8 minutes ago, Yellowman said:

What do you mean please?

Its to prevent a potential flat when you are riding in case your tire gets punctured by a small object.

18 minutes ago, Freewheeler said:

Got my helmet mirror, rapid charger, elbow and knee pads coming.

Full face helmet, wrist or helmet mirror, elbow and knee pads style/brand? What about wrist guards?

Edited by Dave U
Ride Safe