OC, CA ~ SUNDAY Beach Cities Trail Ride ~ August 4th, 2019 10 a.m.

3 minutes ago, Yellowman said:

I would love to slime the tire but I am concerned I do it wrong. It seems even if my wheel is not pierced I have to deflate put some liquid then reinflate again huh?!

Read the Thread link i sent you, it'll answer all your question. If you are still needing more info then simply use the search at the upper right corner and type in Slime. Enjoy your new wheel.:cheers:

14 minutes ago, Dave U said:

Full face helmet, wrist or helmet mirror, elbow and knee pads style/brand? What about wrist guards?

Yup. I've had my ff helmet since I've had my Zero. My mirror is for the hemet and wrist guards came with my V10F. I actually received two pair! 

Edited by Freewheeler

Ok so we are officially not going to Laguna Beach?

If so then why not starting from Sunset Beach? I see a lot of parking (looks like free from street view) at this location.

We just ride the beach bike trail all the way to the end and our destination will be a place to eat and recharge halfway in Newport Beach (BJ's? Will they allow to charge?).

After lunch we just ride the beach bike trail back. We can detour to Talbert Park ( @Dave U what's in there? Public BMX park?) during our way back if everybody agree.

Here's my revised suggestion:

wuCSmnV.png

This route is more flexible as we can shorten the ride by choosing closer starting point if you guys does not want to recharge in the middle. Cuz I'm still not sure if BJ's allow us to recharge and if there any open outlets at all.. What is your max range guys?

42 minutes ago, Kens said:

If so then why not starting from Sunset Beach? I see a lot of parking (looks like free from street view) at this location.

We just ride the beach bike trail all the way to the end and our destination will be a place to eat and recharge halfway in Newport Beach (BJ's? Will they allow to charge?).

After lunch we just ride the beach bike trail back. We can detour to Talbert Park ( @Dave U what's in there? Public BMX park?) during our way back if everybody agree.

This route is more flexible as we can shorten the ride by choosing closer starting point if you guys does not want to recharge in the middle. Cuz I'm still not sure if BJ's allow us to recharge and if there any open outlets at all.. What is your max range guys?

In reference to Laguna Beach, I'd say so. I usually just meander and explore when I ride so I feel the time on surface streets is not a deterrence but I can understand riders wanting a better view for the entire ride. So I'll do Laguna Beach another day to explore and visit. It'll be more enjoyable for me, now that I think about it. 

Starting in Sunset is kind of an issue for me. I don't drive at this time and even the revised starting point would have been more difficult (though not prohibitive). 

If we could flip the script and reverse your idea I'd be open to that. Meaning, start in Newport, do the Balboa loop, and then on to Sunset Beach and back. If you can identify potential charging locations along that route that would be great.

If free, "safe"parking is an attraction the city of Newport has a free shuttle from Avon lot 2. One of the shuttle's first stops is Newport's Ocean Front W beachwalk. The shuttle driver provides a code that makes parking in that lot free. :)

Screenshot_20190725-001035.thumb.png.4fa99657bd93340e9fbc879d1bf85f7d.png

Edited by Freewheeler
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Kens said:

wuCSmnV.png

If you start off at Sunset Beach you will be on a residential street for 2.6 miles (round trip). This is range that could be better used riding along the beach or river trail.

2 wheels will be coming along: KS16S 40 miles & KS18L 32 miles.

Suggestion:  We can charge here (RV trailer Park) with permission of course if we are just a few riders in need of some juice. 2 of us charged here last year but it was only 2 wheels. Feasting while our wheels juice up is much more appealing! :cheers::popcorn:

cbk?panoid=7SVswVHZa_vJTKaQiVlqBg&output

You have Sheep Hills BMX

AF1QipPb7dqDB0RJujAxwEdtl8gTqFxJ96UBZBKr

Edited by Dave U
  • Like 1

1. We park on Avon lot 2 (Everyone need to download an app on their smartphone or else you have to pay for parking)
  2. Ride the free shuttle to the beach trail (NPB Pier? Balboa Pier?)
  3. Ride towards Sunset Beach about 10 miles.
  4. Have lunch in Sunset Beach or one of those cafe on the beach trails (Seasalt Beachside Burger or Pacific Kitchen).
  5. Comeback and detour to Sheep Hills BMX if everybody have enough battery left.

How about that? It's about 25 miles overall so we don't even need to recharge :clap3:

@Freewheeler decide where we gonna have lunch. I vote for Golden Olive Mediterranean Restaurant in Sunset beach. They have small spaces though..

Also can we do this Sunday morning instead? :wacko:

I'm up for that. And Sat or Sun is fine with me if everyone else is too. Yellowman is on a V10F like me so we get 40 mi (with a feirce tailwind). I just got off the phone with him and we're likely going to meet up just to check out his progress and hang. Great guy. 

I'm concerned about my speed. Coming off my Zero speed was never a concern because it wasn't possible. Now, I'm hitting sketch town at 18 mph. But who knows, I just got the rest of my gear so maybe the protection will help boost my stupidity... I mean confidence. I'm still recovering from knee surgery and it feels a bit wobbly. More time, more muscle memory, these will help as well. 

Starting at Avon would be great for me. I'd love not having to Uber to Sunset Beach only to Uber back at the end. And a shorter ride will gel nicely with my current stamina. I'd like to have another, long, more intense ride at some point. And I'll definitely birdog a ride from San Clemente to Sunset Beach for some time in the near future. 

Edited by Freewheeler
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Kens said:

Also can we do this Sunday morning instead? :wacko:

1 hour ago, Freewheeler said:

I'm up for that. And Sat or Sun is fine with me if everyone else is too

So what date will this beach ride happen on? Freewheeler you need to change your thread title, you still have august 3rd on it. By the way this Sunday is also cool with me. Time - meet up at 8:30am (to get parking) start rolling @ 9:00am? Who will be attending now that the date is being changed?

• Upvote 1

So, if Sun is good with us three, Yellowman is the only one we haven't heard from. I call him tonight and see. I think I'll change the title, now that we have a concensus. 

I'm a bit new on my wheel still so off roading is a bit outside my wheelhouse. But feel free to take whatever side routes float your boats. It's all about having a good time.

On 7/25/2019 at 11:31 AM, Kens said:
  1. We park on Avon lot 2 (Everyone need to download an app on their smartphone or else you have to pay for parking)
  2. Ride the free shuttle to the beach trail (NPB Pier? Balboa Pier?)
  3. Ride towards Sunset Beach about 10 miles.
  4. Have lunch in Sunset Beach or one of those cafe on the beach trails (Seasalt Beachside Burger or Pacific Kitchen).
  5. Comeback and detour to Sheep Hills BMX if everybody have enough battery left.

How about that? It's about 25 miles overall so we don't even need to recharge :clap3:

@Freewheeler decide where we gonna have lunch. I vote for Golden Olive Mediterranean Restaurant in Sunset beach. They have small spaces though.

I like the route. Park cars at Avon, shuttle to Balboa Peir, up the beachwalk, take Seashore Drive to the bridge on PCH. Just a short time on there to the trail and then on up from there. Good? 

And yes, I'll birddog the restaurants that have been mentioned and check about power policies. 

I'm wiped from work. Moving tomorrow, too so I'll check in here periodically. Definitely will report in after the recon ride Sunday.

Cheers all!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Yellowman said:

I decided not to engage in a group ride until I have 1500 miles under my belt.

I will stay solo for now. Good luck guys. 

These beach rides are not for speed, just relax while enjoying your wheel. There are people, dogs, bikes and other creatures on these bike trails. Its all a good time. My 14 year old son will be coming as well. I've had my wheel for one year now and only have 908 miles on it. I've already been on multiple group rides and its a blast hanging out with other riders. Hopefully you will change your mind and join us.

7 hours ago, Yellowman said:

I decided not to engage in a group ride until I have 1500 miles under my belt.

I will stay solo for now. Good luck guys. 

If you're up for it, @Yellowman why not do the recon ride with me? Like @Dave U said.. beach rides are not about speed. The recon will give you the opportunity to see the route with absolutely zero time pressure, assess it, and hopefully assuage all your concerns.You need to be nudged a little bit. You got all your protection, right?

Plus, if you have any questions or if you want riding tips from a fledgling, old man well, one will be riding right next to you!

And besides... this is ain't a group. It's barely enough for a game of bridge :P. And this is actually a great way to "segue" into a true group ride (did you see what I did there? "Segue" is a... and it also means... ahem.. ok, so it all that funny).

Dude, @Yellowman... pick me up in Irvine Sunday am and we'll do the recon or I can meet you at Avon Lot 2. What do you say? First round is on me when you break your mile record so far. :clap3:

Edited by Freewheeler
  • Upvote 1

@Yellowman hey man, you should totally go. I also have a V10F and am looking forward to see more wheels like mine. My son (15yrs old)  just learned how to ride 2 weeks ago and will be going on a ninebot E+ so we will be going slow and will only do 10 miles of the route. @Dave U really cool you are taking your son as well.. Really excited, this is my first group ride :)

• Like 2

Ahhh... Now I can really quit worrying about how fast I ride. I'm a Sunday driver and welcome the family theme.

I'll try to get faster and faster and set up a ride sometime later for the riders that really want to push. But this ride will just be about getting out there, cruising and making some OC connections.

Cheers! :cheers:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, John Wood said:

@Yellowman hey man, you should totally go. I also have a V10F and am looking forward to see more wheels like mine. My son (15yrs old)  just learned how to ride 2 weeks ago and will be going on a ninebot E+ so we will be going slow and will only do 10 miles of the route. @Dave U really cool you are taking your son as well.. Really excited, this is my first group ride :)

Welcome aboard John and son, looks like it'll be 6 riders now and counting. Yes this will be a relaxing ride on beach bike trails, maximum speed posted on these trails is 10 MPH with plenty of stops along the way to mingle and sight see. See you all soon.

Yup! @Yellowman and I took the route this afternoon and we have some info to report. It's a great ride! :roflmao:

PARKING

Avon Parking is great. Clean, safe, plentiful parking. The city charges a fee to park but if you get the app and enter tn the super secret code :Pthen it's free. 

The only downside is that the app requires a login. And an account requires a credit card. Nothing too difficult, it's just time consuming. 

So, if you're going to do the free parking make sure you arrive 20 minutes before the ride and do it all ahead of time. Everyone needs to hear a quick three minute saftey briefing (hand signals, best practices, etc.). Let's all be ready to take the first shuttle that arrives after 10 a.m  No one wants to be that guy we're all waiting on so do the parking app ahead of time.  

PARKING APP

App info: 

https://www.visitnewportbeach.com/balboa-peninsula-trolley/

You'll enter the lot code (9736), your license plate (or last four of your VIN) and choose the hours you'll be there and then enter the promo code that's clearly displayed on the pay machine. To reiterate.. even though a credit card is needed for an account the parking is absolutely free and CREATE AN ACCOUNT BEFORE SUNDAY! 

SIDE NOTES

Although on the official ride we'll take the shuttle to Balboa Peninsula @Yellowman and I rode the beach side bike trail there. Not busy enough to be annoying also but not deserted enough to be boring. A good mix of open riding and crowded slow downs. 

Then, again off script, we took the car ferry across just to do a side trip. Although we could have come back across the harbor to go up the trail again since we had already scouted that portion of the trail we chose to tour Corona Del Mar for a bit and then took PCH. Balboa Island and CDM are NOT part of the official ride. 

FROM BALBOA PENINSULA

The shuttle will drop us all at Balboa Peir where we'll take the bike path back. The path will end but it's only just over a mile on a small residential street from 36th St to Seashore Lot 4. From Seashore Lot 4 to the Huntington Beach Bike Trail we'll be on a sidewalk alongside PCH for 8/10ths of a mile. We scouted it with safety in mind for new riders and feel good about it. 

HB AND SUNSET

Once we're on the HB bike path it's bike lanes all the way on up to Sunset Beach. Depending on events (like the surf contest today) it could get crowded right near HB Pier. But even so, it's manageable. Numerous drink and pit stop areas along the way. The more experienced riders might want to cruise Main St in HB. That might be the best pit stop for everyone, some will sit and relax and others can go explore. 20 minute layover? We'll figure it out. Sunset Beach is awesome, of course. Harry's Grill has a good mix of food and booze; a winner in my book.

RETURN TRIP

It seems like a lot of us are on wheels with a good range. I failed in my duties to clock the miles exactly but I'll do it in the Google Maps bike route option tomorrow and update the post. 

On the return trip I suggest taking the trolley at one of the earlier stops, especially for kids and tired adults. No need to go all the way back down to Balboa Peninsula (except for bragging rights). 

I am 190lbs (probably 210 kitted out) and @Yellowman  is somewhere in that range too and our V10Fs did all of the route, plus all of our sidetrips, and blasted my music... all with juice to spare. I feel so good about my real world range test that I won't even be bringing my charger on the ride. Does anyone have less range than the V10Fs?

Early morning tomorrow, so I'm signing off. Let me know if I forgot anything. 

Cheers all.

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, Freewheeler said:

Harry's Grill has a good mix of food and booze; a winner in my book.

Looks like a winner! They have a second floor outside Patio.

From Balboa Pier to this restaurant is a 14.5 mile trip (round trip 29 miles), Do they have outside outlets and are they allowing us to bring our wheels inside while we eat ? some riders might want to fast charge at this time as well?

NOTE: My son and I walked inside a restaurant with our wheels and right away we were told to go outside. The reason I'm bring this up is that we have to go inside in order to access the upstairs outside patio. Just a thought?

5 hours ago, Dave U said:

Do they have outside outlets and are they allowing us to bring our wheels inside while we eat? Some riders might want to fast charge at this time as well?

Good tip. I'll call ahead and make sure we're good to go.

• Upvote 2

On 7/28/2019 at 11:12 PM, Freewheeler said:

Yup! @Yellowman and I took the route this afternoon and we have some info to report. It's a great ride! :roflmao:

PARKING

Avon Parking is great. Clean, safe, plentiful parking. The city charges a fee to park but if you get the app and enter tn the super secret code :Pthen it's free. 

The only downside is that the app requires a login. And an account requires a credit card. Nothing too difficult, it's just time consuming. 

So, if you're going to do the free parking make sure you arrive 20 minutes before the ride and do it all ahead of time. Everyone needs to hear a quick three minute saftey briefing (hand signals, best practices, etc.). Let's all be ready to take the first shuttle that arrives after 10 a.m  No one wants to be that guy we're all waiting on so do the parking app ahead of time.  

PARKING APP

App info: 

https://www.visitnewportbeach.com/balboa-peninsula-trolley/

You'll enter the lot code (9736), your license plate (or last four of your VIN) and choose the hours you'll be there and then enter the promo code that's clearly displayed on the pay machine. To reiterate.. even though a credit card is needed for an account the parking is absolutely free and CREATE AN ACCOUNT BEFORE SUNDAY! 

SIDE NOTES

Although on the official ride we'll take the shuttle to Balboa Peninsula @Yellowman and I rode the beach side bike trail there. Not busy enough to be annoying also but not deserted enough to be boring. A good mix of open riding and crowded slow downs. 

Then, again off script, we took the car ferry across just to do a side trip. Although we could have come back across the harbor to go up the trail again since we had already scouted that portion of the trail we chose to tour Corona Del Mar for a bit and then took PCH. Balboa Island and CDM are NOT part of the official ride. 

FROM BALBOA PENINSULA

The shuttle will drop us all at Balboa Peir where we'll take the bike path back. The path will end but it's only just over a mile on a small residential street from 36th St to Seashore Lot 4. From Seashore Lot 4 to the Huntington Beach Bike Trail we'll be on a sidewalk alongside PCH for 8/10ths of a mile. We scouted it with safety in mind for new riders and feel good about it. 

HB AND SUNSET

Once we're on the HB bike path it's bike lanes all the way on up to Sunset Beach. Depending on events (like the surf contest today) it could get crowded right near HB Pier. But even so, it's manageable. Numerous drink and pit stop areas along the way. The more experienced riders might want to cruise Main St in HB. That might be the best pit stop for everyone, some will sit and relax and others can go explore. 20 minute layover? We'll figure it out. Sunset Beach is awesome, of course. Harry's Grill has a good mix of food and booze; a winner in my book.

RETURN TRIP

It seems like a lot of us are on wheels with a good range. I failed in my duties to clock the miles exactly but I'll do it in the Google Maps bike route option tomorrow and update the post. 

On the return trip I suggest taking the trolley at one of the earlier stops, especially for kids and tired adults. No need to go all the way back down to Balboa Peninsula (except for bragging rights). 

I am 190lbs (probably 210 kitted out) and @Yellowman  is somewhere in that range too and our V10Fs did all of the route, plus all of our sidetrips, and blasted my music... all with juice to spare. I feel so good about my real world range test that I won't even be bringing my charger on the ride. Does anyone have less range than the V10Fs?

Early morning tomorrow, so I'm signing off. Let me know if I forgot anything. 

Cheers all.

Tagging SoCal riders for slow ride (take it easy) on the beach this Sunday morning :clap3:

@HeavyGoing @Marvin Ong @Mushuukyou @Tjtripp @Sven @unowheel @Questor @Roll Model @Mike Hanna @Jon Sawa @serfy @swvision @Kimosabi @zentype @ndmcc @Mimir @Josh Morgan @Shawn Johnson @IRK @MikeV @Peter Q @Sketch @captainwells @NBC44 @Stan Onymous @Gizmo Dork @Alsayyad @Chairman S @who_the @Dave Frear  @roghaj @downtown @Yunicyle @Terenig @Dave U @Flying W @Heyzeus @NightRider @Mike Hanna @Klin @3euc @Unosolo @Williepimpin @Heyzeus @JomMas  @BlackOutEX @Freewheeler @TomM @tihoa @Ferreal@Austin @Ben Richards @noisycarlos @Tanabe @Dzlchef @Ando Melkonyan @YoshiSkySun @n2eus @maltocs @1Wheeler @Rama Douglas @Nick McCutcheon @mark chanya @Jrkline "Wheel Whisperer" @Kens @TedTheAtheist @Yellowman

It's gonna be change of scenery, enjoy the breeze, have some lunch, waves to people, go back and go home happy :D

• Like 2