Los Angeles Whittier Narrows Park Scouting

Kens

2 minutes ago, Dave U said:

First time going to this golf course, @Marty Backe name of the golf course or map link?

I just posted the pin. See above your post.

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

Super short notice, but if you happen to see this and have nothing going on this Mothers Day, join us at ~4:30 for a sharp departure no later than 5pm (we can't wait for you if late - the Sun sets in a couple of hours

Welp too short notice. It's midday and the rest of the day is already set for me.

Let me know how the rides goes. :cheers:

• Like 1

@enigma35 @HeavyGoing @Marvin Ong @Mushuukyou @Tjtripp @Sven @unowheel @Questor @Roll Model @Mike Hanna @Jon Sawa @serfy @swvision @Kimosabi @zentype @ndmcc @Mimir @Josh Morgan

@nbxpq3 @Shawn Johnson @IRK @MikeV @Peter Q @Sketch @captainwells @NBC44 @Stan Onymous @Gizmo Dork @Alsayyad @Chairman S @who_the @Dave Frear  @roghaj @downtown @Yunicyle @Terenig @Dave U @Flying W @Heyzeus @NightRider @Mike Hanna @Klin @3euc @Unosolo @Williepimpin @Heyzeus @JomMas  @BlackOutEX @Freewheeler @TomM @tihoa @Ferreal@Austin @Ben Richards

@csmyers @noisycarlos @Tanabe @Dzlchef @Ando Melkonyan @YoshiSkySun @n2eus @maltocs @1Wheeler @Rama Douglas @Nick McCutcheon @Jrkline "Wheel Whisperer"

Just a reminder folks. This river loop ride is coming up fast; Saturday with departure at 9am. We'll be stopping mid-point so that @Dzlchef can top off his KS16S. So any of you 840wh wheel riders can do the same. Just bring your charger with you. I'm letting @Dzlchef locate the place that he wants to stop to get some electrons. Or maybe someone else has suggestions. Some place in the vicinity of the north end of our loop.

We depart from this parking lot, which has ample free parking: Google Map Pin

Edited by Marty Backe

Hmm ok @Dzlchef, I'll start the suggestion.

McDonald's is RED,  Starbucks is GREEN, IHOP is BLUE, Jack in The Box is YELLOW:

IFvH91f.png

If we stop at McDonald's, I can get my own ice cream that I missed yesterday :efefa6edcf:

Edited by Kens
Moar suggestions
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Kens said:

McDonald's is RED,  Starbucks is GREEN, IHOP is BLUE, Jack in The Box is YELLOW:

IFvH91f.png

If we stop at McDonald's, I can get my own ice cream that I missed yesterday :efefa6edcf:

I’m good with McDs. It’s no Hooters but every ride can’t be perfect 🙃

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Dzlchef said:

Understatement of the century :)

I wonder if they have outlets?

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

I wonder if they have outlets?

That's why 'Scouting' is part of the title :)

There's 2 McDonald's. One is on the north east of Santa Fe Dam (near Costco) and the other one is in Duarte.

The one near Costco should be less busy than the one in Duarte. But there's 3 problem: 1) Can we go out from the trail to Huntington Blvd? 2) Even if we can there is about half a mile sharing road with cars. 3) I wonder if they have outlets?

The one in Duarte will be busier because is in the center area. Good news is I saw an outdoor sitting area (near the children's playground) but I cannot see any outlet from any photos on the internet. Need scouting on the field.

If any McDonald's will not have any open outlet then we go to the next options.. Still open for suggestion...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kens said:

There's 2 McDonald's. One is on the north east of Santa Fe Dam (near Costco) and the other one is in Duarte.

The one near Costco should be less busy than the one in Duarte. But there's 3 problem: 1) Can we go out from the trail to Huntington Blvd? 2) Even if we can there is about half a mile sharing road with cars. 3) I wonder if they have outlets?

The one in Duarte will be busier because is in the center area. Good news is I saw an outdoor sitting area (near the children's playground) but I cannot see any outlet from any photos on the internet. Need scouting on the field.

If any McDonald's will not have any open outlet then we go to the next options.. Still open for suggestion...

But when you're scouting for outlets on a 840wh wheel, it could end badly (Uber). We probably don't want to be riding from location to location looking for outlets. Maybe there's a "Outlet Finder" app out there?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kens said:

:laughbounce2:

6 hours ago, Kens said:

IFvH91f.png

I see a HomeDepot between the yellow and blue next to that super busy 210 freeway!:cheers: Maybe we could unplug their Ice Cream vending machine and juice up?:facepalm:

Edited by Dave U
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Dave Frear said:

I missed it, what is the mileage?  I've done 18 fairly easy miles on my Z10.  Stopping to charge isn't much of an option, that thing charges so slow.

We are looking at around 30.5 miles, complete loop.

On our last group ride @Kens juiced up his Z10 for an 1 hour and completed the 46 mile loop with the group.

Edited by Dave U
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, Dave Frear said:

I missed it, what is the mileage?  I've done 18 fairly easy miles on my Z10.  Stopping to charge isn't much of an option, that thing charges so slow.

The Z10 should have no difficulty with this ride unless your riding weight is very heavy.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

But when you're scouting for outlets on a 840wh wheel, it could end badly (Uber). We probably don't want to be riding from location to location looking for outlets. Maybe there's a "Outlet Finder" app out there?

I cannot find such app. I download the Onewheel app but it does not have such function. It does give locations of Onewheelers tho (suprisingly a lot near us :shock2:)

29 minutes ago, Dave Frear said:

30 miles loop. If you bringing Z10, it should be enough for us to complete the whole loop without charging (still depend on the rider weight and speed). I'm still gonna bring my charger just for trickle charging. 1h charge will add about around 15% to the batteries.

Now to think about it.. @Dzlchef how long you need to charge to complete the 30 miles loop? Are we gonna stay in McDonald's (if they have outlets) for an hour?  :blink:

• Like 1

I haven't done a full range test yet.  Riding weight is about 190ish.  My 15 mile ride last week was about 30% full out with it beeping at me all the way on the Santa Ana trail.  Think I finished with 30% battery left, so I was limited to about 20MPH at that point.

I will try to make it, charger in hand.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Kens said:

Now to think about it.. @Dzlchef how long you need to charge to complete the 30 miles loop? Are we gonna stay in McDonald's (if they have outlets) for an hour?  :blink:

Last I heard he will only need 20 to 30 minute charge with his 5 amp fast charger.

9 minutes ago, Dave Frear said:

I haven't done a full range test yet.  Riding weight is about 190ish.  My 15 mile ride last week was about 30% full out with it beeping at me all the way on the Santa Ana trail.  Think I finished with 30% battery left, so I was limited to about 20MPH at that point.

Great sounds like your in for the ride. Top cruising speed should be 20 - 22 mph on the river bike trails.

I have the 18L so I'll barely be making it myself.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dave Frear said:

My riding weight is in the 175 to 180 pounds. I've ridden my Z10 ~43-miles, but to do so you must not go faster than ~19-mph.

This upcoming riding will not be super fast so you should be fine. Maybe this will be a good opportunity to get to know your wheel better.

Whenever I get a new wheel one of the first things that I do is a full range test.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Kens said:

I cannot find such app. I download the Onewheel app but it does not have such function. It does give locations of Onewheelers tho (suprisingly a lot near us :shock2:)

30 miles loop. If you bringing Z10, it should be enough for us to complete the whole loop without charging (still depend on the rider weight and speed). I'm still gonna bring my charger just for trickle charging. 1h charge will add about around 15% to the batteries.

Yeah, just need 30 minutes or so. Nobody wants to hang at a McDs for an hour.  That's why they have Hooters!

• Like 2

On 5/13/2019 at 4:52 PM, Dzlchef said:

On 5/13/2019 at 5:17 PM, Marty Backe said:

Understatement of the century :)

1 hour ago, Dzlchef said:

Yeah, just need 30 minutes or so. Nobody wants to hang at a McDs for an hour.  That's why they have Hooters!

OK let's do it!!! :angry:

oCTFJq0.png

• Like 3

@Jrkline "Wheel Whisperer", are you going to attend this?

Since this a shorter ride, afterwards I was thinking of switching wheels and do an exploratory ride. I want to test the Glendora Mountain Road. I know you're often up for some additional riding.

So I'm driving to this ride with a couple of wheels. When this is over, if I'm not too tired I'm going to drive to Glendora to do a bit of riding on this road. Bring an extra wheel if you want to join me.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

@Jrkline "Wheel Whisperer", are you going to attend this?

Since this a shorter ride, afterwards I was thinking of switching wheels and do an exploratory ride. I want to test the Glendora Mountain Road. I know you're often up for some additional riding.

So I'm driving to this ride with a couple of wheels. When this is over, if I'm not too tired I'm going to drive to Glendora to do a bit of riding on this road. Bring an extra wheel if you want to join me.

@Marty BackeI'll be rolling around Sonora this weekend so will have to miss this one.Catch you on the next one.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Jrkline "Wheel Whisperer" said:

@Marty BackeI'll be rolling around Sonora this weekend so will have to miss this one.Catch you on the next one.

OK. Thanks.  I only called you out specifically because you usually don't announce whether you are coming on rides, so I wanted to be sure that if you are, you might be interested in some extended riding.

It's Friyay y'all !!! :clap3:

Forecast said there will be no rain tomorrow but the temperature will be sub 70s in the morning before 1pm.

@Marty Backe There is a Bar & Grill attached to Rancho Duarte Golf Course. Have you ever stop there? It's between Las Lomas and Huntington Dr just after the river bike trails.

Link: https://www.yelp.com/biz/duffers-bar-and-grill-duarte-2

• Like 2