Los Angeles Whittier Narrows Park Scouting

Kens

I've been eyeing this route for the last 2 weeks now. There's a 30 miles bike trails loop that connect Whittier Narrows Recreation Area and Santa Fe Dam.

image.thumb.png.638665b974d83f7fee4eeec960c0c535.png

https://goo.gl/maps/TSwzxEXh6sMLGJdM9

Has anyone try this route before? I plan to try the route myself this Saturday morning 05/11/19 after my oil change and anyone is welcome to join. Unfortunately, the weather forecast said that there's a high change of rain that day. If so I might do it the next Saturday 05/18/19.

Edited by Kens
Embedded map does not work
  • Like 1

I've been riding a route somewhat like that for years, except yours is much shorter. I try and avoid out-and-back rides in favor of loops.

I'll try and post a modified version here that you may want to try, but I do realize that you're a bit range limited with the Z10.

• Like 1

My original plan is to take Arrow Highway after Santa Fe Dam to avoid out-and-back rides, but we need to share a road with cars or ride on the curb for about 2.5 miles before getting on another bike path.

image.png

Can EUC take one car lane here in Cali? Any suggestion to modified the loop are welcome.

image.gif

Edited by Kens
CTRL + Enter messed up my post..
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Kens said:

My original plan is to take Arrow Highway after Santa Fe Dam to avoid out-and-back rides, but we need to share a road with cars or ride on the curb for about 2.5 miles before getting on another bike path.

image.png

Can EUC take one car lane here in Cali? Any suggestion to modified the loop are welcome.

image.gif

Yeah, I've taken Arrow Hwy a couple of times - don't do it - very dangerous. I will post a better and very safe route.

There are areas where you will see bicycle icons painted on the street pavement. When you see those, the city is giving you permission to consume the entire pavement. Otherwise I stay on the side or side-walk.

• Upvote 2

This is the route that I take. I didn't include all the trails in the Whittier park, and I'm starting at the golf course parking lot because I think the Whittier Parking is not free on the weekends. But besides that, this is the route that I've taken endless times. The sections where you are on the road are very bike/EUC friendly.

https://goo.gl/maps/wuBzgTci9XBNh13CA

Screenshot 2019-05-08 12.37.26

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

This is the route that I take. I didn't include all the trails in the Whittier park, and I'm starting at the golf course parking lot because I think the Whittier Parking is not free on the weekends. But besides that, this is the route that I've taken endless times. The sections where you are on the road are very bike/EUC friendly.

https://goo.gl/maps/wuBzgTci9XBNh13CA

Screenshot 2019-05-08 12.37.26

Wow let's go!!! :w00t2:

My Z10 battery should be enough for 30 miles right?

Thanks Marty for the heads up that Whittier Parking is not free on the weekends.

EZxJmGp.png

I really want to go this Saturday but I guess the 18th will be better. SAD!

Edited by Kens
Figuring out IMGUR url..
  • Like 1

Unfortunately I probably can't make it this weekend, but I probably can next weekend.

As long as you don't ride your Z10 very fast, it should have no problem carrying you the 30+ miles.

Edited by Marty Backe
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Unfortunately I probably can't make it this weekend, but I probably can next weekend.

As long as you don't ride your Z10 very fast, it should have no problem carrying you the 30+ miles.

Alright next weekend then! Lead the way!

9 hours ago, Kens said:

Wow let's go!!! :w00t2:

My Z10 battery should be enough for 30 miles right?

Thanks Marty for the heads up that Whittier Parking is not free on the weekends.

EZxJmGp.png

I really want to go this Saturday but I guess the 18th will be better. SAD!

6 hours ago, Kens said:
6 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Alright next weekend then! Lead the way!

Looks like  @Kens is starting up a group ride Los Angeles Whittier Narrows Park Scouting, it will be around 30.5 mile loop. Morning of May 18

@Marty Backe @maltocs Brandon, Donut,  @YoshiSkySun @Dzlchef @Jambo @Jrkline "Wheel Whisperer"  @Rama Douglas @Dave U and anyone else that would like to join this ride is more than welcome.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Dzlchef said:

I hope to attend, must see how coverage works for next week.  Is this ride for 16X testing???  Please!!!

It's not really my organized ride, btw. So no it will have nothing to do with the 16X. I will actually take the 16X on this ride, except it'll be the full distance version, which is 60+ miles.

17 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

It's not really my organized ride, btw. So no it will have nothing to do with the 16X. I will actually take the 16X on this ride, except it'll be the full distance version, which is 60+ miles.

I had to read that 3x before comprehending.  Thought initially that you’d have the 16X for the May 18th ride.  I’m just way too excited!  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Dzlchef said:

I had to read that 3x before comprehending.  Thought initially that you’d have the 16X for the May 18th ride.  I’m just way too excited!  

Yeah, I probably could have worded that better, but I wanted to play with your head :lol:

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

It's not really my organized ride, btw. So no it will have nothing to do with the 16X. I will eventually take the 16X on this route, except it'll be the full distance version, which is 60+ miles.

Fixed! :lol:

Please tag me too when that glorious day comes! :cheers:

• Like 1

It just happens that I’m off on the 18th and looking to join.  Any stops along the way???   30 miles is quite a distance without some downtime and liquid nourishment 😋🍻

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dzlchef said:

It just happens that I’m off on the 18th and looking to join.  Any stops along the way???   30 miles is quite a distance without some downtime and liquid nourishment 😋🍻

Looks like there's a lot of shops in Duarte area after Santa Fe Dams but I'm not really familiar with the area. Pinging mothership @Marty Backe for recommendations :lol:

I like ice tea or ice coffee ❄❄. What you guys like? 

I'm thinking of taking a ride around Whittier Hills tomorrow - around 4:30. This is where Overheat Hill is, but we don't have to ride that particular hill. Guaranteed great trail riding. Anyone want to join me? It's less than 10-miles of riding, but very fun.

Anyone want to join me?

8 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I'm thinking of taking a ride around Whittier Hills tomorrow - around 4:30. This is where Overheat Hill is, but we don't have to ride that particular hill. Guaranteed great trail riding. Anyone want to join me? It's less than 10-miles of riding, but very fun.

Anyone want to join me?

Hey Marty, I’m off today and the misses works til 7pm.  Always down for a nice ride 😎

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Anyone want to join me?

Post stamp time says (8 hours ago) 05/12/2019 - 01:11am,  @Marty Backe is this ride today (Sunday) or tomorrow?

18 minutes ago, Dzlchef said:

Hey Marty, I’m off today and the misses works til 7pm.  Always down for a nice ride 😎

I'm also down for the ride. My ex wife won't be home ever again!:thumbup: :cheers: But I'm getting mixed readings here on the actual date?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Dzlchef said:

3 minutes ago, Dave U said:

Post stamp time says (8 hours ago) 05/12/2019 - 01:11am,  @Marty Backe is this ride today (Sunday) or tomorrow?

I'm also down for the ride. My ex wife won't be home ever again!:thumbup: :cheers: But I'm getting mixed readings here on the actual date?

Cool. We can meet at the golf course parking area (I'm going to ride there) between 4:30 and 5:00 but let's be ready so we can be wheeling no later than 5pm.

And to clarify, we are riding Sunday, May 12th.

This is probably a 15+ mile ride, but it's not a fast ride. Very fun trails.