New Inmotion V10 / V10F

Pingouin

3 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Looks very well built! Love the gasket under the handle and the general "closedness". And if I ever need a wheel for drug running, I'm going to get the V10:whistling:

Is this a joke/preproduction number?:cry2: This instantly makes the V10(F) go from potential mountain powerhouse to... well, not so much that. Why not 40A (it has a 4P battery after all) or 60A or some better number? Maybe I'm expecting too much?

Marty, consider wearing your full face helmet when you test it on your hill of death, in case you join @Jrkline "Wheel Whisperer"'s club.

Higher voltage requires less current to reach a certain level of power. It also causes less loss in cable runs due to the lower current. 30A @ 84V will be just fine.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Looks very well built! Love the gasket under the handle and the general "closedness". And if I ever need a wheel for drug running, I'm going to get the V10:whistling:

Is this a joke/preproduction number?:cry2: This instantly makes the V10(F) go from potential mountain powerhouse to... well, not so much that. Why not 40A (it has a 4P battery after all) or 60A or some better number? Maybe I'm expecting too much?

Marty, consider wearing your full face helmet when you test it on your hill of death, in case you join @Jrkline "Wheel Whisperer"'s club.

The 84*30 = 2520W should be enough for the announced 2000W nominal. But just not too much room for peak power....

Regarding the 30A having to pass all the internal resistances (battery, mosfets, coils) the announced 2kW could also be quite the peak power? Or the fuse is very very very slow-blow/time lag.

11 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

After completing my mountain stress test, I can say that I love the pedals but dislike the rubber very much. If it were my wheel or I got one, the first thing that I would do is rip off the rubber and install something with grip tape.

I can't speak to slipperiness when wet (I live in Southern California B)), but when riding rough mountainous trials, I was fighting to keep my feet on the pedals sometimes. I had one good fall because of this and a few near misses. It's all on video to be posted in my Tribulations thread.

Same dumb idea as on the gt16. I’m using screw in studs to make sure i have grip. Grip tape works too, but rubber isn’t really the best material to keep them glued on.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

After completing my mountain stress test, I can say that I love the pedals but dislike the rubber very much. If it were my wheel or I got one, the first thing that I would do is rip off the rubber and install something with grip tape.

I can't speak to slipperiness when wet (I live in Southern California B)), but when riding rough mountainous trials, I was fighting to keep my feet on the pedals sometimes. I had one good fall because of this and a few near misses. It's all on video to be posted in my Tribulations thread.

In one of the range test live streams that @Jeffrey Scott Will did I asked about the rubber and slipperiness when wet. He said he hadn't ridden it in the rain but also added that he would look into the option of offering a conversion option for grip tape. Jeffrey? @Bobwheel? Any plans to make this an option for those who dislike the rubber? A swappable insert of some kind?

• Like 1

Just now, WARPed1701D said:

In one of the range test live streams that @Jeffrey Scott Will did I asked about the rubber and slipperiness when wet. He said he hadn't ridden it in the rain but also added that he would look into the option of offering a conversion option for grip tape. Jeffrey? @Bobwheel? Any plans to make this an option for those who dislike the rubber? A swappable insert of some kind?

I don't believe it's in active development - it's just something I noticed could be a possibility considering how the rubber is like an insert that one could easily replace. I would personally love to see it!

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Scatcat said:

Same dumb idea as on the gt16. I’m using screw in studs to make sure i have grip. Grip tape works too, but rubber isn’t really the best material to keep them glued on.

I would remove the rubber and install a new substrate to attach the grip tape to. Doesn't look to be too difficult. If you don't trail ride it's probably not an issue.

Edited by Marty Backe
  • Upvote 1

Trying to think outside of the box here, but why can't someone make a rubber pad with grip material embedded on top?  Would the hard pieces of corundum just fall out?  Or if there is some sort of flexible adhesive that can bond to the rubber/silicone/whatever, maybe attach a coat onto the pad?  It would be nice to get the best of both worlds... for long distance riding comfort and off-roading grip.

Looking at the rubber pad pattern, maybe trying to tape pieces of slim grip tape in between the grooves might work...  I don't know how well the adhesive backing sticks to that material though... plus if the pad is flexing it might detach over time?

Edited by Hunka Hunka Burning Love
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, houseofjob said:

As @Scatcat stated, the same kind of rubber inset pedal cover was implemented on the GT16 prior, except the V10F rubber inset feels much more substantial and thicker than the Rockwheel's.

As for an adhesive, bond, etc. solution, Rockwheel after the inital GT16v1 was out, did just that via adhesive (below).

I'm hoping IM will do a proper inset alternative, preferably with just a flat, ungriptape'd surface bed so we can apply our own griptape (Mob Grip!)

HTB1__lIPVXXXXadXFXXq6xXFXXXo.jpg?size=225399&height=549&width=900&hash=24e608210890beee9cf24dae6db1853c

One of those sit on my right pedal, the left one lies beside the trail somewhere.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, that0n3guy said:

Looks like it would be very easy to 3D print some inserts and then just put griptape on top of that.

That was my thoughts.....but only easy if you have a 3D printer :cry2:. @Duf! :efef6b27e5:

For my kind of riding (commuting) I think the rubber is a better option to take some of the shock out the ride but I can see situations where people will want grip tape instead.

• Like 1

3D print should work but considering the quality of something you stand on a lot with friction, weight and over time I think a solid option could be to laser scan the rubber piece and CNC mill from alu, if no CNC at hand then could just cut out the pieces and tig them together, should also give some options and a fun small lunch brake project.

Edited by Electroman

3 minutes ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

And you can strap carpet to your feet too for around the house...

Even with several extra "pairs" for guests, you can have carpet underfoot through the whole house for only a few $$$ !   :facepalm:

Why stop at the feet? Carpet your whole body for still much cheaper than the whole house :D

• Like 3