The Photo Thread

SlowMo

8 hours ago, Bob Eisenman said:

31 kph....a winter speed record.

When I'm sharing the road with cars on these miserable days I go as fast as possible so as not to hold them up; they are grumpy enough without some nut on an electric unicycle getting in their way.:wacko:

Edited by winterwheel
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, winterwheel said:

they are grumpy enough

The people from 'block heater' territory....

http://knowhow.napaonline.com/how-to-use-a-block-heater-to-survive-the-winter/

A couple of guys with out of doors recreation interests that I was friends with in the 70s we're studying at Jefferson Medical College. They used to talk about 'Yellowknife' as an ideal travel destination.

I'd never heard of Yellowknife.

One of them was the editor of the yearbook. Journalism was his passion  before studying medicine (heart surgeon later on) took over his life.

@winterwheel

He gave me a copy of the yearbook where he was one of three editors. 

Jefferson Medical College yearbook

Edited by Bob Eisenman

@winterwheel

Back in the 1990s I took one or more weekend trips to Montreal. Crossing the border back into the states felt intimidating when the border crossing official asked me 'what is your purpose in the US'? When I responded that I was employed as a research tech at a hospital in Boston he didn't seem phased by my response but allowed me to pass.

Odd that they would want to know your the purpose of your trip home, glad you didn't say "to get the heck out of that frozen wasteland". :) Montreal is actually quite nice although I've only been there a couple of times myself, you are far closer than me.

48 minutes ago, winterwheel said:

you are far closer than me

Long story....

My sister married the son of an optometrist. He talked often (now deceased) about Lake Louise (family trips?) in his youth. After their third and last kid was born they went out west for a teacher's summer vacation to Jasper

Jasper - 1985

Date: July 9, 1972
Jasper National Park, Alberta, Canada

From an elevation of 7400 feet, near the top of Whistler's Mountain, is a magnificent view of the Athabasca Valley and the town of Jasper.

These days 'Rebecca is in NYC'  having lived in both Africa and Prague.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/AdMarketplace

Their first born, graduated from Middlebury College - now father of 3, worked a long time for 'QLF'

@winterwheel

https://www.qlf.org

My Dad liked Ottawa, the changing of the guard ceremonies, etc.

Edited by Bob Eisenman
  • Like 1

On 1/29/2019 at 8:13 AM, Marty Backe said:

Our biggest Los Angeles group ride yet. 13-people. @IRK had to leave early so he didn't make it into the group photo.

Here we are atop the highest peak in Griffith Park, overlooking downtown Los Angeles (in the background).

From the left: @Mimir, @Klin, Klin's friend, @Tanabe, Klin's friend and his dog, Klin's friend, @csmyers, me, @Dzlchef, @Jrkline "Wheel Whisperer", @Nick McCutcheon, and @Terenig

DSC06509-2.jpg.e788d7914fd028548338eac4c0483295D

so relieved to learn that the helmet virus hasn't infected all of the LA riders :thumbup: and even better none in Arizona:

On 2/4/2019 at 1:28 AM, Master Ong said:

Phx AZ

DA6123ED-826D-422A-BB39-0F906CE8F337.jpeg

29 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Yeah, one is ~22 and the other is 58 with a recently broken shoulder. Lets see if the 22-year old is wearing anything different in 30-years.

What a contrast. I bet the 22 yr old adopts safety gear within a year. Your his mentor. 

32390332177_a648ee55e0_b.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

Yeah, one is ~22 and the other is 58 with a recently broken shoulder. Lets see if the 22-year old is wearing anything different in 30-years.

Wait what? You broke your shoulder? What did I miss?:blink1: The Tesla crash back then when you started wearing your armor?

1 hour ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Wait what? You broke your shoulder? What did I miss?:blink1: The Tesla crash back then when you started wearing your armor?

Yes, after 3-months of pain I finally went to the doctor. I posted the x-ray in some thread here (I lose track of what I write, where :unsure:). I had a break in my humerus bone, just below the socket. I'm in physical therapy now.

Thus I'm forever going to be wearing armor

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

What a contrast. I bet the 22 yr old adopts safety gear within a year. Your his mentor. 

32390332177_a648ee55e0_b.jpg

You crack me up as usual :lol:

:cheers:

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

58 with a recently broken shoulder

scarily popular, this broken shoulder thing, and also quite difficult to prevent with the appropriate safety gear.

20 hours ago, Bob Eisenman said:

Long story....

My sister married the son of an optometrist. He talked often (now deceased) about Lake Louise (family trips?) in his youth. After their third and last kid was born they went out west for a teacher's summer vacation to Jasper

Jasper - 1985

Date: July 9, 1972
Jasper National Park, Alberta, Canada

From an elevation of 7400 feet, near the top of Whistler's Mountain, is a magnificent view of the Athabasca Valley and the town of Jasper.

These days 'Rebecca is in NYC'  having lived in both Africa and Prague.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/AdMarketplace

Their first born, graduated from Middlebury College - now father of 3, worked a long time for 'QLF'

@winterwheel

https://www.qlf.org

My Dad liked Ottawa, the changing of the guard ceremonies, etc.

That’s a great place to vacation. Went there about 19 years ago and the mountains there make Colorado mountains look very small. 

9 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Yes, after 3-months of pain I finally went to the doctor. I posted the x-ray in some thread here (I lose track of what I write, where :unsure:). I had a break in my humerus bone, just below the socket. I'm in physical therapy now.

Uh wow, I missed that update. That fall wasn't that bad, one would think. Well, looks like at least you need no crazy surgery like certain other people here:efefc8626c:

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Good move. Glad you know what is exactly the matter. And are in the road to recovery. 

• Like 3