The Photo Thread

SlowMo

26 minutes ago, RockyTop said:

Sure! Then the Edison could steal all the good ideas and claim them as his own.

Is anyone else confused that the Tesla runs on DC power? :blink1:

:roflmao:Excellent!

Not that I'm an expert or anything, but I seem to recall that these motors are actually some form of AC.  Three phases, and all that.  So Tesla wins again.  A pity he died penniless.

A quick quote from Wikipedia

"Brushless DC electric motor (BLDC motors, BL motors) also known as electronically commutated motors (ECMs, EC motors), or synchronous DC motors, are synchronous motors powered by DC electricity via an inverter or switching power supply which produces an AC electric current to drive each phase of the motor via a closed loopcontroller. The controller provides pulses of current to the motor windings that control the speed and torque of the motor."

Of course the battery is DC as that's what batteries do.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

New camera?

I was looking at 'open box' deals for Sony AS50 HDR locally.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchpage.jsp?st=sony+-+hdr-as50+hd+action+camera&_dyncharset=UTF-8&_dynSessConf=&id=pcat17071&type=page&sc=Global&cp=1&nrp=&sp=&qp=&list=n&af=true&iht=y&usc=All+Categories&ks=960&keys=keys

A few reviews of the Sony AS50 HDR said :

1_it's digital not optically stabilized

2_it's display screen is a problem

3_it didn't fit my existing gimbal which is based on the YI

4_using it with a GoPro stick camera thread mount would lead to rotating horizons due to changing grips on the stick

I bought the YI because

a_I had an unused 'Amazon gift certificate' covering most of the cost.

b_it fits the YI gimbal for which the gimbal was designed. My old ActiveOn CX barely under the screw bracket if the YI gimbal mount.

c_it has better video quality than ActiveOn CX

d_using the YI gimbal + camera with a chest mount is a hands free camera experience with good app support

e_it's battery life is very good....my ActiveOn CX battery does poorly in cold weather.

f_due to weight differences as compared to the YI, using the ActiveOn CX camera with the YI gimbal produces considerable gimbal motor hum noise in the ActiveOn CX's audio track. The YI 4K camera is YI gimbal motor silent in use.

I read somewhere that the YI camera series is marketed (to some degree) with video making drone fliers in mind...looking for GoPro type camera mount alternatives.

Edited by Bob Eisenman

Yesterday, on a ride, I came across this guy completely by accident.  He's a European Eagle Owl, (the largest and most fierce of all owls, the sigh said)  He's 18 to 20" tall.  He has a very deep call. Magnificent animal.  Shame about the cage, but apparently they live twice as long in captivity (40 vs 20 years) so that's a trade off I suppose. Without the EUC, I would never have discovered him.

IMG_2336IMG_2335IMG_2339

Edited by Smoother
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Other shots from yesterday's trip from Danish Camp, Willington to Bedford and back

The "Great Ouse" river.  That's my anti dog stick

IMG_2332

Same river in the middle of Bedford.  Kayak rapids course

IMG_2331

Weir.  All that water, tens of thousands of gallons a minute, could be producing free hydro electricity.  It's a crime.

IMG_2322

No one around but me and my wheel

IMG_2321

Foot/cycle "Butterfly bridge", Bedford.

iPhone 075

On the bridge.  Where the water changes color, it's ice.  Birds in the distance are standing on it, not floating. (picture from last week when it was colder)

iPhone 079

Edited by Smoother
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Smoother said:

Yesterday, on a ride, I came across this guy completely by accident.  He's a European Eagle Owl, (the largest and most fierce of all owls, the sigh said)  He's 18 to 20" tall.  He has a very deep call. Magnificent animal.  Shame about the cage, but apparently they live twice as long in captivity (40 vs 20 years) so that's a trade off I suppose. Without the EUC, I would never have discovered him.

IMG_2336

That look on his face...Do you feel lucky ...well do you ..wormy? 

In the News, happy EUC rider ninja charged by FEROUCIOUS OWL. EUC wheeel for sale.....the sale goes for the coffin. :whistling:

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Smoother said:

Awesome photos! Curious... how did you come across a caged owl during your ride?

On 2/14/2019 at 7:10 PM, RockyTop said:

@Smoother Are you still in favor of the 2.5” tire mod? I was thinking of doing the same with my KS16S. Any after mod problems?

No.  In reality, the stock tyre size is absolutely fine.  It's a reasonable ride but not worth the hassle.EDIT.  Picked up about 2llb (1kg) of mud the other day riding a farm track outside the house.  There was so much mud the wheel actually struggled to turn.  Every rotation there was a surge and the wheel would dip.  It literally took me longer to get the mud out that my ride.  Haven't ridden that track with the stock tire so can't compare.

On 2/14/2019 at 8:48 PM, Rehab1 said:

Awesome photos! Curious... how did you come across a caged owl during your ride?

The Danish Camp Cafe has a few exotic birds, peacocks, fancy chicken varieties, and this guy.  I was actually rushing a bit as the App said my Amazon delivery was close, and my house is hard to find.  When I go back I'll look around some more. It's called Danish Camp because Danes invaded in 787.

On 2/14/2019 at 6:57 PM, Girth Brooks said:

@Smoother an extreme bummer to see that bird of prey trapped in that cage. Hopefully it somehow ends its life free.

Yeah, sad.   He's safe, fed, and cared for in there, but...It's like the Pink Floyd line "Would you exchange, I walk on part in a war, for a lead role in a cage?"  I don't think he would survive in the wild, if he's used to being fed.  Ironically, this is the 2nd Eagle owl I know of in a cage.  An acquaintance has a small menagerie in his back garden. Here's his picture

IMG_2587

Edited by Smoother
  • Like 3

Right, so I happened to be going near the Danish Camp today, so I detoured to get some more details on "ollie" the owl, and to see him again.  Today he was in the back of his cage, hard to see,:( so I read the sign about him.  He has been raised from an egg in captivity, so at least he has no memory of freedom. 

Sign says they are no longer known in the wild in the UK, but then it said there ARE some in the wild, escapees from captivity apparently  I started looking around, the place, when I heard this whooshing sound.  When I turned around he had flown from the front all the way to a perch at the very front of the cage, so at least he can fly, but I missed it.:(

After a few minutes of twisting his head round and round, He flew back to the back of the cage.  I witnessed that :clap3:.  He made no whoo whoo sounds this time.  I was very luck to hear him the other day. Amazing, magnificent creature.

• Like 1

On 2/14/2019 at 8:16 PM, Unventor said:

That look on his face...Do you feel lucky ...well do you ..wormy? 

It does have the air of dirty Harry about it.  However I'm reliably informed that, that is his happy face.......and his angry face and hungry face and bored face.  I guess hes got the facial movement of Chuck Norris and Burt Reynolds combined (i.e. not much at all).

• Like 2

Ah @Smoother you shame me. I should be defying the cold and ride instead and post nice photos where you see the ice only on second glance:efee8319ab:, just like you do. Because it has been sunny the last few days here as well. But alas, I'm too weak and whiny at the moment. At least I have a work excuse, but only til next weekend. Still haven't broken in my newly installed winter tire. Shame:efeeab781c:

In other words, thank you for encouraging me to stop being dumb and go riding! Because your pictures certainly did that:efeeec645d:

• Like 3

iPhone 042

So Cambridge UK has been famous for hundreds of years (100 at least) for "punting"  The boat above is a punt, and the guy on the back is propelling it with the aluminum pole by "punting" ,pushing off the bottom of the river.  Today. literally hundreds of tourists were out on the water.  Most punts are punted by professionals, like the gondolas in Venice are. This one is being punted by an amateur. 

This is what it is supposed to look like, but stay tuned for the rest of the story.

Edited by Smoother
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

What isn't evident from the photo in my previous post, is the fact that the punter is soaking wet.  And this is why:

iPhone 036

He fell in.:clap3:  The other day I extolled the virtues of sitting a while (while EUC riding) to stop and smell the roses.  Prior to this series of photos, I had a brief chat with a professional punter (literally as he was punting a group past me) He said it was a sure bet that at least one of the amateurs would be going in the water today.  So I hung around this busy area enjoying the activity, when this happened. I missed the fall but I captured the re-boarding.

iPhone 039

iPhone 040

iPhone 041

The other shot I missed was him handing his drowned smart phone to the girl in the jean jacket.  Seriously who tries this with a $600 phone in his pocket?

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

For a moment there I wondered if your 16S had died a watery death.

I don't know, who rides $1500+ wheels near canals and steep cliffs and in rain and whatnot?;)

Meeps, when are you going to share some more photos? You always have some great shots with interesting subject matter. 

22 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

Meeps, when are you going to share some more photos? You always have some great shots with interesting subject matter. 

Thank you. When I'm riding again. I might be afw (away from wheel) for the next two weeks (not sure yet), hopefully then the weather is warmer and I can be arsed to buy some suitable clothes and helmet quickly.