The Photo Thread

SlowMo

2 hours ago, Smoother said:

You were just trying to see if we were paying attention.  Your list of riders, is actually FROM THE LEFT, i know, I checked :D

So funny, and fixed :facepalm:

Thanks!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Tuesday morning jaunt with the MCM5 and my new padded casual jacket

IMG_20190129_085402_1

You look 7' tall here.  Must be the camera angle.;)

What pressure are you running in that tyre?  Looks a bit squishy, especially for you, "Mr. 65 psi"

And what's up with that hamburger sign behind you?  I think I see the McDonald's golden arches lined out, and a giant single golden arch instead.  Is that the Anti-McDonalds?

And as for MCM5 range, Wow! looks like you rode it all the way to Florida! Way to go dude, literally.:D

Edited by Smoother
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

That is the oldest McDonald's in the United States. It was the 3rd McDonald's, built in 1953, and is still operational. I live about 1/2-mile from the location.

That McDonald's is so old it only has one arch.:blink1:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IRK said:

Which jacket did you go with?

The Viking Cycle Ironside Motorcycle Jacket

I really like it. Holds the padding in position and the jacket fits very nicely (I'm 5'11'' and ~175-pounds and bought the medium). This jacket seems to be an exceptional value at $60.

71EusMK6YfL._UX679_.jpg

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Scatcat said:

I've ordered this one as my new casual:

icon-1000-basehawk-jacket-side.thumb.jpg.b9366ea37e80060e5622e795203d1373.jpg

But that is a motor cycle...:w00t2: Btw looking forward to phones of your spiked MSX

Edited by Unventor

24 minutes ago, Unventor said:

But that is a motor cycle...:w00t2: Btw looking forward to phones of your spiked MSX

Oh, I wish I had ordered that one too, it looks nice. But for now I have to do with just the jacket... :(

Yeah, the skin of my palm and fingers on my right hand is seriously sore. The bloody tool for pushing in the studs is soooooo undersized. I've added 50 studs so far, but they are in two straight rows, which is not ideal since it makes the wheel a bit squirrely. It's not that bad, but enough to be noticed. Basically, running straight you just barely have a connection between studs and ground. So when you turn slightly, the studs start digging in for real, and the movement gets kind of exaggerated. Same thing if you hit uneven slush with hard parts and the studs dig in off-centre.

So I plan to add a second row slightly inside the first, there is enough space in the threads for doing that. That way I will have more grip going straight, and will probably lessen the skewing tendency.

When I bought the MSX I really didn't plan to have a morning commute in slosh, packed snow and ice as my first riding experience. It was slippery as hell, but apart from two short walks I was able to ride through it all, a total of 4 miles - without issue.

Top speed today was a measly 25kph, and the average was below 20kph. But I actively had to keep the speed down, because the bloody thing wanted to accelerate like crazy. :laughbounce2:

I also noted that my hiatus has been too long, as my calves felt a bit strained by the exercise...

Edited by Scatcat
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

The Viking Cycle Ironside Motorcycle Jacket

I really like it. Holds the padding in position and the jacket fits very nicely (I'm 5'11'' and ~175-pounds and bought the medium). This jacket seems to be an exceptional value at $60.

71EusMK6YfL._UX679_.jpg

Have you read the bullet point about this jacket? There are five that end in mid sentence; its as if five different copy writers tried to report the details, and every one was shot in the back before they could finish.:unsure: That's a tough place to work.

Edited by Smoother

1 hour ago, Smoother said:

Have you read the bullet point about this jacket? There are five that end in mid sentence; its as if five different copy writers tried to report the details, and every one was shot in the back before they could fininsh.:unsure: That's a tough place to work.

If the jacket costs $60, they probably couldn't afford to finish the sentences.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Scatcat said:

Oh, I wish I had ordered that one too, it looks nice. But for now I have to do with just the jacket... :(

Yeah, the skin of my palm and fingers on my right hand is seriously sore. The bloody tool for pushing in the studs is soooooo undersized. I've added 50 studs so far, but they are in two straight rows, which is not ideal since it makes the wheel a bit squirrely. It's not that bad, but enough to be noticed. Basically, running straight you just barely have a connection between studs and ground. So when you turn slightly, the studs start digging in for real, and the movement gets kind of exaggerated. Same thing if you hit uneven slush with hard parts and the studs dig in off-centre.

So I plan to add a second row slightly inside the first, there is enough space in the threads for doing that. That way I will have more grip going straight, and will probably lessen the skewing tendency.

When I bought the MSX I really didn't plan to have a morning commute in slosh, packed snow and ice as my first riding experience. It was slippery as hell, but apart from two short walks I was able to ride through it all, a total of 4 miles - without issue.

Top speed today was a measly 25kph, and the average was below 20kph. But I actively had to keep the speed down, because the bloody thing wanted to accelerate like crazy. :laughbounce2:

I also noted that my hiatus has been too long, as my calves felt a bit strained by the exercise...

So I knew you bought a MSX, but is this the first post where you've talked about yours? Maybe I missed where you talked about receiving the big box, etc. :D

I want to know your thoughts on the new wheel, which is your first Gotway, right?

52 minutes ago, Girth Brooks said:

Do you have a link to this jacket you purchased? I really like it.

FYI, depending on your browser, you can right-click on any image and do a "Google Image Search". I just did that and found that it's a Icon 1000 Basehawk Jacket  A bit more expensive than my $60 version. Since I live in California I wanted a mesh jacket to keep me cooler.

icon_jacket_basehawk_stealth_black_750x7

Edited by Marty Backe
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

So I knew you bought a MSX, but is this the first post where you've talked about yours? Maybe I missed where you talked about receiving the big box, etc. :D

I want to know your thoughts on the new wheel, which is your first Gotway, right?

I didn't mention it, because just as I got it there came shitload of white fluffy stuff from the heavens. So I got a bit depressed by looking outside and thinking "there goes my riding"... :D 

Today was the first ride, and it irks me a bit that my first ride is on ice with studs, rather than the pristine feeling of wheel on tarmac. But while I didn't go as fast as I wanted to, I can say a few things about it off the bat.

1. The sidepads V2 is a bit too thick for my liking, it feels like my legs are pushed into them hard, and it hurts a bit more than it should. I suppose this will go away with a wider stance and experience.
  2. The damn thing wants to accelerate like crazy. While the GT16 probably had the same "capacity" for acceleration, it took a lot more effort to push it. This thing forces me to hold back, especially when it's slippery.
  3. The old Gotway app is even more sucky than the Rockwheel app, and takes some doing... As an UX designer, the setting panels gets me close to tears, and not from joy. Does the newer app work right now?
  4. I find myself itching to customize the lights to something else but flashing or my little pony rainbows. A sober blue, yellow or green running light, with red flashing in the back while braking would be wonderful.
  5. It's surprisingly controllable, but when stopping I sometimes get a bit surprised by it's sheer weight. The GT16 I could control with my little toe, this one will fall over unless I have my foot fully on it.
  6. I get what you all mean about a bigger wheel eating bumps that would rattle your teeth on a smaller wheel.
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

FYI, depending on your browser, you can right-click on any image and do a "Google Image Search". I just did that and found that it's a Icon 1000 Basehawk Jacket  A bit more expensive than my $60 version. Since I live in California I wanted a mess jacket to keep me cooler.

icon_jacket_basehawk_stealth_black_750x7

There is a cheaper variant that is better for summer temps, that is called Icon Merc Stealth. They share the All Murdered Out-esthetics.

https://www.fc-moto.de/epages/fcm.sf/en_GB/?ObjectID=136400106&ViewAction=ViewProduct

Edited by Scatcat
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Scatcat said:

I didn't mention it, because just as I got it there came shitload of white fluffy stuff from the heavens. So I got a bit depressed by looking outside and thinking "there goes my riding"... :D 

Today was the first ride, and it irks me a bit that my first ride is on ice with studs, rather than the pristine feeling of wheel on tarmac. But while I didn't go as fast as I wanted to, I can say a few things about it off the bat.

1. The sidepads V2 is a bit too thick for my liking, it feels like my legs are pushed into them hard, and it hurts a bit more than it should. I suppose this will go away with a wider stance and experience.
  2. The damn thing wants to accelerate like crazy. While the GT16 probably had the same "capacity" for acceleration, it took a lot more effort to push it. This thing forces me to hold back, especially when it's slippery.
  3. The old Gotway app is even more sucky than the Rockwheel app, and takes some doing... As an UX designer, the setting panels gets me close to tears, and not from joy. Does the newer app work right now?
  4. I find myself itching to customize the lights to something else but flashing or my little pony rainbows. A sober blue, yellow or green running light, with red flashing in the back while braking would be wonderful.
  5. It's surprisingly controllable, but when stopping I sometimes get a bit surprised by it's sheer weight. The GT16 I could control with my little toe, this one will fall over unless I have my foot fully on it.
  6. I get what you all mean about a bigger wheel eating bumps that would rattle your teeth on a smaller wheel.

Fantastic. Well, at least you have summer to look forward to. Glad I don't have to swap tires for the different seasons.

The latest Android app from Gotway seems to work fine, but it's not going to win any design awards. I still prefer WheelLog for my everyday needs.

12 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Glad I don't have to swap tires for the different seasons.

For city/bike path/road riding it isn't necessary to swap tires for winter. I'm only considering changing tires on the V8 to see if it can handle forest trails any better. 

Edited by winterwheel
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, winterwheel said:

For city/bike path/road riding it isn't necessary to swap tires for winter. I'm only considering changing tires on the V8 to see if it can handle forest trails any better. 

Yet @Scatcat feels it necessary to change his tires for winter. Maybe it depends on the type of riding you do?