The Photo Thread

SlowMo

18 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Kenda winter/offroad tire on my ACM (2019 version). Works great against the tire slipping when climbing out of a small rut when there's snow, mud, wet grass, etc. - any soft surface where the knobs can dig in.

@winterwheel

Local art.

I went with blue this year.

3.jpg

How it looks at 2am here;)

For comparison, last year's tire. Same thing, but in red. Looks much better, but I wanted to try a different color. Of course it's available in black, too, but the red really looks great.
Photo taken in the same spot!

I have no actual riding photos because the winter dream was over after not even 24 hours, and then it just rained, rained, rained, snowed a little, and rained some more onto the snow. Today was the first mostly dry day:mellow:

It's really great to see your ACM hanging in there. And it looks in really good shape.

24 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Kenda winter/offroad tire on my ACM (2019 version). Works great against the tire slipping when climbing out of a small rut when there's snow, mud, wet grass, etc. - any soft surface where the knobs can dig in.

I admire that tire and color! You are certainly a pro at changing out those Kendra’s. 

Took me like 3 hours. The tire change was relatively quick (as fine as it can be on a EUC, which is always horrible), but so much dust inside, I cleaned quite a lot (and took my time).

Wish there were more colored tires of all types. Purple would fit the ACM so well!

Well, the red really looks great on black wheels, if anybody is looking for a nice color.

38 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

It's really great to see your ACM hanging in there. And it looks in really good shape.

Might be because the photo is blurry and at night;) Also all my highly professional duct taping isn't visible in the photos. On the other hand, good shape is relative, it could be much worse I guess:D How do your ACMs look?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

@winterwheel

Local art.

1.jpg

I went with blue this year.

2.jpg

3.jpg

How it looks at 2am here;)

4.jpg

For comparison, last year's tire. Same thing, but in red. Looks much better, but I wanted to try a different color. Of course it's available in black, too, but the red really looks great.
Photo taken in the same spot!

5.jpg

I have no actual riding photos because the winter dream was over after not even 24 hours, and then it just rained, rained, rained, snowed a little, and rained some more onto the snow. Today was the first mostly dry day:mellow:

The blue is cool,  but I really like the red tire you had on last year. The contrast against the black is on fire and smoking. 😉👍

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, EUC GUY said:

Today i started working on the GW Monster powerpads. Got a working model and will put it on during the night to test tomorrow.. Got more info on this blog section here.
https://www.eucguy.com/blog/gotway-monster-powerpads

3.JPG

I know you probably can't do this now because of this thing I hear about, Winter. But test its effectiveness on that monster sky hill that you were trying the MSX/MSuper on.

3 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I know you probably can't do this now because of this thing I hear about, Winter. But test its effectiveness on that monster sky hill that you were trying the MSX/MSuper on.

I can only do so much testing inside, but Lars Heeneman will help me test it. sending him the first version im happy with. :)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, EUC GUY said:

I can only do so much testing inside, but Lars Heeneman will help me test it. sending him the first version im happy with. :)

Don't know if you have the Monster seat. But when sitting, the Monster can actually climb hills better than any other wheel I've ever seen. I believe that same capability would exist with the proper Powerpads. But in my opinion, for the Monster, these pads need to be designed such that you do not have so squeeze the wheel much if any. That becomes much to tiresome on the Monster.

I have my doubts that this can be accomplished by using the existing pads, molded onto a different substrate like you did for the MSuper V3 Powerpads. The bending of the pad would be too radical.

12 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Don't know if you have the Monster seat. But when sitting, the Monster can actually climb hills better than any other wheel I've ever seen. I believe that same capability would exist with the proper Powerpads. But in my opinion, for the Monster, these pads need to be designed such that you do not have so squeeze the wheel much if any. That becomes much to tiresome on the Monster.

I have my doubts that this can be accomplished by using the existing pads, molded onto a different substrate like you did for the MSuper V3 Powerpads. The bending of the pad would be too radical.

I understand, I'll try with this width first then extend if I see the urgent need.. More info tomorrow 😊👍

• Like 1

For MSX owners,  Off-road tires 

Photo Credit: Jaime Valentin

IMG-20190118-WA0012.jpg

Edited by ED209
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, ED209 said:

For MSX owners,  Off-road tires 

Photo Credit: Jaime Valentin

IMG-20190118-WA0012.jpg

Omg! That looks a beast :o i need to see your off road video with the dirt flying up , get that beast in the snow too , here comes the MSX trail-buster:dribble:

Edited by stephen
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Bigger pedals on the monster also help a lot in climbing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Scatcat said:

I found out! The tire is CST C-803 2.50-14 TT 32J

Great. I've been trying to find out more about the tire - people treat these things like state secrets sometimes, which I don't understand :confused1:

Now need to find a source.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Great. I've been trying to find out more about the tire - people treat these things like state secrets sometimes, which I don't understand :confused1:

Now need to find a source.

Yes, it's logical that at least one of your livery be equipped with a tyre like this, so you can go ride in ice, snow, mud, over dead bodies, over slightly dusty perfectly manicured bike trails. :D

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Scatcat said:

I found out! The tire is CST C-803 2.50-14 TT 32J

Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh, nice:dribble: Good find. I'm tempted. Any 16 inch equivalent?

Since the 18 inch MSX counts as 14 inch rim, what would a 16 inch wheel be? 12 inches? Because I see a 12'' option there. I wonder if it fits the ACM or if the clearance is too tight for this tire.

2 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Yes!! It should not be nearly as hard as it is to find a nice selection of tires or just simple inner tubes. Somehow these seem to be state secrets indeed.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh, nice:dribble: Good find. I'm tempted. Any 16 inch equivalent?

Since the 18 inch MSX counts as 14 inch rim, what would a 16 inch wheel be? 12 inches? Because I see a 12'' option there. I wonder if it fits the ACM or if the clearance is too tight for this tire.

Yes!! It should not be nearly as hard as it is to find a nice selection of tires or just simple inner tubes. Somehow these seem to be state secrets indeed.

Here's what my research has pulled up.

Most of us know by now that bicycle tyres/tires are specified by the total diameter of the tyre, not the rim it fits on, as per the rest of the tyre world.  So for example a 14" EUC actually has a 10" rim.  However things get complicated with machines like the Gotway Nikola which is a 17" wheel, not because the rim is bigger, but because the 16" tyre on it is a fat tyre and is 17" across because of that.  To be clear, it still fits on a standard 16" EUC rim (except maybe the rime is thicker from left to right, I don't know, Ecodrift measured the motor windings at 3cm, but I just measured the motor winding on my 3 year old KS14C.  Guess what! 3cm.  But I have it on good authority the manufacturers do not has the same motor suppliers)

Right, so, here's the skinny:

Most tyres have the actual rim size and width (distance between the rims) in mm, stamped on the sidewall So:

If you want a tyre for your 14" wheel look for a tyre with yy x 254 where "yy" equals the width (yy details below) e.g.47 x 254, 57 x 354, 64 x 354, 76 x 254 and 254 = a 10" rim

If you want a tyre for your 16" wheel look for a tyre with yy x 305 e.g. 57 x 305, 64 x 305, 76 x 305. 305 = a 12"rim

If you want a tyre for your 18" wheel look for a tyre with yy x 355 e.g. 64 x 355, 76 x 355. 355 = a 14" rim

If you want a tyre for your 22" wheel look for a tyre with yy x 489 e.g. 64 x 489, 76 x 489. 489 = a 19.25"rim (not sure if that exists)

So in theory even a 17" tyre will display 305 on the sidewall, because the size of the rim hasn't changed.

"yy" chart

47mm = 1.75"

57mm = 2.125"

64mm = 2.5" (actually its 63.5mm but my 2.5" tyre says 64, so I assume they all round up)

76 or 77 = 3"

If you're looking for a tyre for your 16" wheel anything with a secondary sizing designation of yy x 305 will fit.  However too skinny or too fat could cause problems, both with your rim fitment, and possibly the area in the wheel cavity within the wheel itself.

I hope this helps, and remember, my advice is worth what you paid for it, so verify my finding before plunking down your Sheckles for a shiny new tyre from across the seas.

Edited by Smoother
  • Upvote 3

@Smoother Wow, impressive! Thank you.

I was just too lazy to put a ruler to my wheel (also, the shell is kind of in the way). 12'' is all I needed to know.

Now looking for colored tires. I'd also like some reflective ones (newer bike tires have reflective sidewalls, looks great and makes it safer).