King Song S18 Discussion

Phong Vu

1 hour ago, Tinkererboi said:

@ShanesPlanet haha perhaps I will. From my first viewing the the V11 seemed to absorb impact less dynamically and leave the wheel hanging in the air more often. Also impacts seemed more sharp and jarring somehow.. suspension is a strange topic. In mountain bikes, two bikes can have the exact same shocks from the same manufacturer but react very differently depending on the geometry of its linkage system. Sometimes a well designed system with less travel can even outperform a more badly designed system with more travel. Just thought of that example since I noticed the S18 shock is typical MTB rear shock. 

Like you suggested, hopefully I will find out more and have a change of heart when I have the time to sit down and closely review both side by side again.

Maybe we are misunderstanding. It seems like you agree that the S18's suspension is a bit better, but your previous statement was that the V11 suspension is better. In that case, it would appear that we are all in agreement to that the S18's linkage suspension does appear to be more responsive! I think both will be a much smoother ride, though. 😊

Edited by redfoxdude
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, redfoxdude said:

Maybe we are misunderstanding. It seems like you agree that the S18's suspension is better, but your previous statement was that the V11 suspension is better. In that case, it would appear that we are all in agreement to that the S18's linkage suspension does appear to be more responsive! I think both will be a much smoother ride, though. 😊

They are different and one might be more responsive but there are a lot of other factors to an EUC. Weight distributions in the wheel. Capacity of battery and motor construction. 

Like someone said I think both wheels will be good (at different things) and appeal to different customers. 

Like I wrote some time back It is clear both has pro and cons. In the end I hope what ever you (as in any) as a rider choose to buy or not are happy with your choice of ownership.

I am very much looking forward to getting my V11.

• Like 1

Sweet looking wheel!  :dribble: Didn't get a chance to read all 41 pages, but is that little shock absorber for when people sit on the wheel to absorb bumps?  Pretty cool!

Edit: Ooooh is it like the V11 with chassis suspension?  Very interesting!

Edited by Hunka Hunka Burning Love
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Chriull said:

Btw - was anything announced if the S18 will have some new "smart BMS" with single cell monitoring to increase safety?

I have not seen KS announcing this at all, but I have not followed the S18 closely. Should it be the case that is a first of I think. 

33 minutes ago, Unventor said:

I have not seen KS announcing this at all, but I have not followed the S18 closely. Should it be the case that is a first of I think. 

Afair in the manufacturer interview made by @EcoDrift a couple of month ago KS stated that they plan to use "smart BMS".

On the other side on their website they call the KS16X BMS already "smart" but from all i heard till now the KS16X has a normal BMS as used in the other wheels, too?

15 minutes ago, Chriull said:

Afair in the manufacturer interview made by @EcoDrift a couple of month ago KS stated that they plan to use "smart BMS".

On the other side on their website they call the KS16X BMS already "smart" but from all i heard till now the KS16X has a normal BMS as used in the other wheels, too?

They have refered to smart BMS since KS18L but it isn't smart in the way you hope it to be. Same goes for KS16X. It will only report battery faliure of a full pack not on cell level.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Unventor said:

They have refered to smart BMS since KS18L but it isn't smart in the way you hope it to be. Same goes for KS16X. It will only report battery faliure of a full pack not on cell level.

If the reported battery failure would include single cell undervoltage, too that could already be an improvement?!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chriull said:

If the reported battery failure would include single cell undervoltage, too that could already be an improvement?!

I think that is a question KS will have to answer. But if you go back to KS16X moster threads you will see @US69 answering questions about smart BMS in the KS16X pre launch time.

If @Jack King Song can or are allowed to share details that would be great.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Unventor said:

I think that is a question KS will have to answer. But if you go back to KS16X moster threads you will see @US69 answering questions about smart BMS in the KS16X pre launch time.

Afair @1RadWerkstatt offer(ed?) a real smart BMS with app connection. Did not hear anything about this lateron...

1 hour ago, B08AH said:

Ecodrift just posted that production of both S18 and V11 is delayed for another month, till the end of July.

This is the reason why asking for full price deposit is nonsense.... I wonder if it's only Canada sellers do this :( 

• Like 1

Russian seller does it too. But it kind of makes sense, because currency exchange rate may go up along with the price. And they give us a nice discount for early preorder.

Edited by B08AH
  • Like 2

Some more S18 footage:

• Like 3

Hi everyone,

I am considering the s18 as a first wheel. From what I understand full suspension means that I would not be able to jump up -- assuming I had attached paddings on each side to grab the wheel with my ankles -- because the spring on the wheel will drop down while I am jumping up. Is it kind of like the way airplane wheels are?

2 hours ago, jmsjms said:

Hi everyone,

I am considering the s18 as a first wheel. From what I understand full suspension means that I would not be able to jump up -- assuming I had attached paddings on each side to grab the wheel with my ankles -- because the spring on the wheel will drop down while I am jumping up. Is it kind of like the way airplane wheels are?

The S18 has in-built jump pads. That, and I think you might be able to use the suspension to give you a little extra spring in your jump (especially with the S18, since the more of the wheel's weight is sprung.)

Check it out! Looks super fun. =]

• Like 1

22 hours ago, FreeRide said:

I can't play those videos, can some one repost them on a real video service such as youtube? :D

Yup, this one's worth it :)

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipNEm4dSA7CcEsZe5a0SU6Ta1jRAW2jOB-8B7VqqoYcDw26159mm1aobn14SLDAxog/photo/AF1QipP8WyERenQLxqhjpeuGrxW3u6zHoyB073jRmW1o?key=bkpuMkF3OTA4WGJ0bmw0cURHODNEWlF3ZVVQcHFR

(40ft stairways without a helmet, hmmmm)

• Like 1

For riding on brick pavement at high speed, or for the crossing of railroad tracks again at high speed, would the s18 be the preferred wheel for shock absorption over the v11 or the Gotway with the 22" tires?