King Song S18 Discussion

Phong Vu

@AtlasP

After almost 15 years of riding motorcycles (cross and race bike) I had no more desire and sold everything. I had not planned to start again. Beside cars and jet-ski freestyle there was no time for that anymore.

Some years later a buddy comes to visit me with his new Buell. Wow, it looked great and the sound. The next day I bought a Buell and have it in the house until today (20 years), first in the living room, now in the entrance area. Hardly driven with it and stands around motionless for 6 years. To be honest, it also rides like shit, I knew that. But I didn't care, she looked awesome and sounds mega awesome with the illegal exhaust. Isn't that enough?  :confused1: :efee612b4b:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AtlasP said:

This is preposterous. ...  anyone choosing one over the other based primarily on aesthetics but wherein their use case is the inverse is an absolute idiot.

Yikes.  I knew there was a reason I stepped out of this (and the V11) thread.  Hopefully Kuji posts more on reddit so I can avoid these threads some more.  :-D

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Stillhart said:

Yikes.  I knew there was a reason I stepped out of this (and the V11) thread.  Hopefully Kuji posts more on reddit so I can avoid these threads some more.  :-D

for mine and everyone else's benefit, I shall do the same.. Wise move!

1 hour ago, buell47 said:

Wow, it looked great and the sound. The next day I bought a Buell and have it in the house until today (20 years), first in the living room, now in the entrance area. Hardly driven with it and stands around motionless for 6 years. To be honest, it also rides like shit, I knew that.

*chuckles* I'm not sure if you're arguing for me or against me, but either way your anecdote is illustrative of my point. :-)

1 hour ago, Stillhart said:

Yeah a few of these threads have really started to suck! Everything is a debate and everyone is all of a sudden a suspension expert 🤮

• Like 3

Despite my motorcycle fever lasting for many years, actually getting one never came into fruition. But I have ridden a few for a bit, and drooled over videos for hours on end. For me “motorcycles” and “adventure” sum up to something quite different than a supermoto. I’m thinking Transalp, Varadero, KLE, etc, which are the ones I had on my compare list.

But the supermoto aspect of the S18 is clearly visible, and I can see how it speaks loudly to that crowd. But the aesthetics didn’t speak to me, at all. At least not in a nice way.

8 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

People who prefer the v11 are pretty much against the s18. People who prefer the s18, still entertain that the v11 is nice too.

Really? Sorry but that sounds like a comment from someone who has chosen the S18... The last several pages on the V11 thread are all about bashing the “clearly inferior” suspension of the V11, based on traditional race car suspension dynamics, and disregarding all actual clues we have been shown on video.

I’m satisfied with being able to choose the one that is a better fit for me. But I do take issue wheel people label either or any wheel as inferior, superior, the best of all times, or the worst ever, etc based on wild theories that don’t hold any water from the get go.

It does seem that purely visual buyers will buy more S18 than V11. Remains to be seen how big that crowd was in a year or so.

8 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

And NONE of us really have a damn clue.

We do have a few clues, but that indeed is where it ends.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Stillhart said:

Lucky b*stard....! I'm inclined to step out to, and only check it once in a while, but have to do so from time to time to make sure no death threats are being issued :efee612b4b:

17 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Ask any man who's wife seems ugly to you, what he thinks... 

And I thought discussing V11 and S18 was a dangerous endeavor...you're bringing this to a whole new level of peril :roflmao: 

• Like 1

On 5/20/2020 at 8:06 AM, Unventor said:

That could be a long wait. But I were in the same boat sitting out 1st gen suspension versions. But then I got persuaded and now I am very much looking forward to my V11. 

I can wait. 3" tires and awesome torque are already a great upgrade for me. No hurry...just sore knees :efee612b4b:

• Like 1

On 5/21/2020 at 9:31 AM, B08AH said:

And given that current baseline is "no suspension", the word inferior barely applies.

It is just that S18 suspension is "even better". It will be easier to tune it up for comfort without letting it bottom out. 

This is what I was thinking. The question is whether each wheel offers a superior ride to all the current no-suspension wheels. If these two wheels were identical in all regards apart from the suspension, then this debate would be valid. But they're not.

I suppose this is just how people are on the internet. Take any forum which relates to things people buy or aspire to buy (cars, cameras, probably even kitchen knives, etc.) and you'll see the same kind of debates.

This comes to mind: https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/science-choice/201506/satisficing-vs-maximizing

"Satisficers are individuals who are pleased to settle for a good enough option, not necessarily the very best outcome in all respects. A satisficer is less likely to experience regret, even if a better option presents itself after a decision has already been made. Compared to satisficers, maximizers are more likely to experience lower levels of happiness, regret, and self-esteem."

We should aim to be satisficers (if we are interested in our personal happiness, that is).

Edited by Jon Stern
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, B08AH said:

While V11 is 27kg. No way EUC this heavy can be nearly as successful.

To quote myself:

"The V11 is about the same weight as several of the Nikola+ SKUs. (My Nik+ is within 2 pounds of the advertised V11 weight.) Now yes the Nik+ is heavy, but that hasn't seemed to put a damper on the amount of positive coverage/endorsement it continues to get, especially from several of the top youtubers (including Marty and Mickey). So either someone believes that both the Nik+ and the V11 are too heavy (which is a fair decision based on your context), or else neither of them are, but the V11 is not some new weight category (which some people keep making it out to be)."

• Like 2

23 hours ago, mike_bike_kite said:

The Nik+ offers high speed and a very large battery capacity. The V11 doesn't. It's just a very heavy wheel for what it offers.

It's just a trade-off. The V11 trades a bit of the Nik+'s top speed (~5mph) and range for a much smoother ride (even with his hesitancy to post conclusions, Kuji has already commented that both the S18 and V11 have smoother rides than any non-suspension wheel). If you're utilizing the highest speeds and furthest ranges of the Nik+, then the V11 would be worse in those regards. But if you have a Nik+ (or equiv) but don't quite utilize its highest speed and furthest range and/or only do so rarely, the V11 would be trading those bits at the top end which you're not using (or only using sometimes/occasionally) for a smoother ride all the time. And one could make a similar comparison of the tradeoff for example for an 18XL user (more weight and little bit less range for suspension and bit higher top speed) or other wheels.

Again it all comes down to use-case; I know people who fall into either one of those cases who would make a different conclusion/purchasing decision as a result.

Edited by AtlasP
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, AtlasP said:

But if you have a Nik+ (or equiv) but don't quite utilize its highest speed and furthest range

Then you might choose Nikola 1600 which is lighter.

I see your point, suspension has to add some weight and cost. But there is a limit on how much a person can lift and no amount of vtube endorsements can persuade otherwise. And most people are not powerlifters, therefore weight is a very limiting factor.

I personally owned a Z10 and it was too heavy for me, and 16X is borderline tolerable.

Edited by B08AH
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, B08AH said:

I personally owned a Z10 and it was too heavy for me, and 16X is borderline tolerable.

Well that is alright. But that is not the same for everyone. 

I have no issue with the weight. And we still see 22" GW wheels being talked about as their best wheel. Weight is not mentioned either for those people. 

Now that is not the same that all feel the same way. Far from it. Personally I think it is great there are options for all personal choices. Diversity is a good thing imho. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, B08AH said:

Yes, most people can't lift even that.

Sure they can. And point is you ride it not lifting it. Worse case you trolley or lift it a few steps. 

After a few times you get use to it. 

Anybody know if the S18 is still shipping in time? And as promised in the middle of June? I might get one but need to be sure it comes before july 10th. 

Edited by UniVehje

Maybe my previous post was not quite right, regarding the S18 being delayed!

King Song just teased this image on Facebook:

KS S18 Boxed.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, fbhb said:

Maybe my previous post was not quite right, regarding the S18 being delayed!

King Song just teased this image on Facebook:

KS S18 Boxed.jpg

Which Facebook page? It’s not on their international Facebook page. At least I can’t find it.