King Song S18 Discussion

Phong Vu

8 minutes ago, redfoxdude said:

It's adorable! Very tempting indeed, ha!
I'm super eager to see reviews on these new suspension wheels soon. Scary encounters with potholes in the city are no fun, man. I really like the way the standard shock can be locked out when you want it stiff, and the dial for adjusting the response is super cool, so you don't need to be adjusting the air pressure when you want to change the feel/response.
My most common use is my ~16-17 mile commute (round trip, but hella hills), so I think the smaller battery would be fine. But I really like doing 30-40 mile rides on the weekends. And even more unfortunately, much of my rides are on hilly areas. We usually do a charging stop tho.
It's a very interesting trade off indeed. The lighter weight of the S18 would be really nice, since I live upstairs 😛 Perhaps fun for small adventures, which I suppose is what they intended. The spring-assisted jumps look super fun!

Ohh boy you are in for a tuff choice. I guess reviews might help to make a choice. Unless you could find a parking space (secure closet in basement or something like that). 

I am living on 4th floor. But I have elevator. Only catch is exit is in between ground floor and basement. Locky I can trolley the 4 steps down into basement. And when elevator is out of order I can park it behind locked doors (outer and storage room) and my 1x1.5 storage lock room that I have padlock on. 

I found after a while you get use to the extra weight.  But it took time from V8 to KS18L. From KS18L to KS16X not so much. But I always goes in and out by basement. The bricks are ground level...

I am fairly wet on the outside after the ride.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, travsformation said:

Check out @SamSuffit's poll: still not too many participants, but current data already indicates that only 20% of users use their wheel for fun only. If you're interested, check it out. If you'd rather stick to your hypothesis without contrasting with other sources...whatever suits your fancy...

In any case, I don't plan on discussing any further with you. You keep over-simplifying others' statements, misconstruing their views (no big deal, we're all different), but more importantly, your overall attitude is condescending to the point it's disrespectful. The same discussions can be had with a more respectful approach that doesn't foster animosity or conflict. Other users have been annoyed by some of your mocking and haughty replies, have taken offence and replied with an inappropriate tone (and have been warned not to do so in the future), but you've actively contributed to that with your derisive comments, so I'd like to ask you to please dial down the tone, measure your words more carefully and discuss in a more polite and respectful manner (Please re-read some of your recent replies (including the one quoted above) and ask yourself if you'd liked to be talked to with that tone and how you'd react if someone else replied to you so haughtily). Written language can lead to misinterpretations. I'm sure you can find a way to express the same ideas in a way that is more conducive to an amicable discussion...

I stopped deading your post at the whole disrespectful part. I’m offended by your post. If you really think I’m disrespectful you must post that same comment to quite a few members and quite often. My friend most of this forum is pretty disrespectful. It’s pushes me away quite often. I’ll come back some other time and check out what’s new with these two new wheels. I had no idea that a cool Unique electric vehicle could draw so many snobs. 

Let me edit this. Not everybody here is a snob but there sure is a bunch. Actually there’s some really cool guys here. You know who you are. 

Edited by Patton250

2 hours ago, Patton250 said:

My friend most of this forum is pretty disrespectful. It’s pushes me away quite often.

Just wonder if you ever feel like "me against the world" beside this forum?
Also, I assumed you must be new to the internet? since you said this forum is "pretty disrespectful".

Back to the topic plz....

It's May 9 already, we need some hand on/reviews :( 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Patton250 said:

My friend most of this forum is pretty disrespectful. 

Well that's hardly going to boost your popularity rating here is it?  :facepalm:

Edited by Gasmantle
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Gasmantle said:

Well that's hardly going to boost your popularity rating here is it?  :facepalm:

The people I’m talking about know. There are lots of great guys here. Here’s the problem

disrespect = You disagree with me

I don’t remember you commenting when null told me to go shove it. Nor do I remember anyone else commenting on that. I believe that would actually fulfill the meaning of the word disrespectful. Do you remember why he told me to go shove it? Because I assumed he didn’t understand the definition of a word because the word he used made zero sense when I applied to my comment. It was natural to assume he didn’t understand the definition. So there’s that.

I said nothing disrespectful on this thread. If my opinion that most people use these things for fun is disrespectful to you or anyone else they need to search their inner self I guess.

Edited by Patton250

12 hours ago, Phong Vu said:

Just wonder if you ever feel like "me against the world" beside this forum?
Also, I assumed you must be new to the internet? since you said this forum is "pretty disrespectful".

Back to the topic plz....

It's May 9 already, we need some hand on/reviews :( 

Ever since I got here there’s been plenty of people who are that my daddy’s truck is bigger than your daddy‘s truck crowd. Then they get around to who can bash king song better than the next guy. You know because these guys are experts more so than the designers. That’s what I meant. I still have a feeling you knew that but you and a couple others are trying to skirt around that fact. That’s fine. If you feel better in the end I’m glad.

Personally, I am looking forward to seeing an S18 in person because here in Brisbane we can only use non-road side bike paths and footpaths other than some lower speed roads. Most of our footpaths are not well designed or maintained for the traffic of PEVs that are coming out and I've had a few spills that a suspension equipped wheel would likely have better resolved.

I was looking into an MSP for my next wheel, but the S18 is also catching my eye.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, travsformation said:

@Patton250, you've replied to the people who have quoted or mentioned you. Your position is clear. Feel free to user the report function to report any content you find offensive, but know that users who have crossed a line have already been warned by mods. 

Everyone else: your position is likewise clear. 

Now can we drop this? I don't see any point going down this road any further or escalating....

Sounds good. By the way I’m not offended. I have thick skin and it never bothers me when people have a different opinion than I do. I also don’t report people to moderators. Ever. 
I will stay on topic after this post even if someone comments negatively toward me. 

• Like 2

On 5/9/2020 at 10:27 PM, stanislav777 said:

Finally it is ready to share, result of two weeks work printable model of S18 with working suspension. More information on  Youtube_link

baYma2E.jpg

Oh...:shock2:  the more I see it, the more I want it. :thumbup:

I think it's really well-made. :clap3:

I'd like it.:efefa6edcf:

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Lindsey said:

Oh...:shock2:  the more I see it, the more I want it. :thumbup:

I think it's really well-made. :clap3:

I'd like it.:efefa6edcf:

Yeah, and with functional suspension and folding pedals! Quite the feat!

Not too sure about the range on that thing though...does anyone know what batteries he's fitted? :efefa6edcf:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, EUChristian said:

I’m a casual reader and have had a wheel for two years (KS16). My 10 yr old(V8) and 6 yr old(Mten3) have wheels. I research wheels with them all the time and we have no brand loyalty. Instead we buy for purpose as you can see. Each wheel fits us. My oldest and I like the idea of suspension and we are engaging in lively banter between these two new offerings. We have been following this thread and many others of interest. In fact my 10 yr old learned how to ride backwards two weeks ago thanks to tips from this very forum. Thankfully (and probably 40 falls later) I can ride backwards to as of two days ago (the verbal beating from friends drove me to keep going after an ankle/pedal/smash/wound). 

I’m thankful my kids don’t have huge egos yet, but when they do I’ll explain to them the ouward effect of it like this:

“Two people get into an argument. Neither is completely correct and no further current information is clear so instead of agreeing to wait for more information, they start questioning each other’s speculation. They begin to apply intentionality where it may or may not exist. They question the other persons motives, and may question their integrity. This is followed by questioning what the other person’ words mean (the best part, sounds like two 6 yr olds with PHDs arguing), which is followed by hostile Ad hominem comments barely and ever so discreetly basked in a disgusting false sense of trying to legitimately listen to anything the other person says. This devolves into complete offense and sometimes loss of friendship. On forums it’s even better because you are in front of a group of peers and thus no one can back down because they fear being portrayed as weak or the bad guy, and if you mention this they will huff and puff about how wrong you are and go back playing to sticks and stones break my bones.”

Here’s the answer; not the easy one but the hard one: just walk away from every ridiculous argument in this thread fueled by ego completely. Completely stop posting in these personal ego arguments about what the exact definitions of words are. I know it’s a forum, I know it’s the internet, but I’d like to think we are professional on this side of the wheel. I’ve been passionate needlessly defending my beliefs, we all have. Just. Stop. Posting. About. It. 

Very important - if you are about to respond and defend yourself in anyway, please read above again since you completely missed the point. See I’m trying to kill my ego, it’s caused me more grief than happiness in my life and I’ve never gained a piece of bread, a dollar or a good nights sleep from being correct on an Internet forum. 

My daughter’s next wish is to learn to jump on her V8 and today we discovered Kuji pads. Not sure how we missed that. Thank you guys so much for everything you do and I look forward to lively debate which only goes so far. 

- Meant sincerely and respectfully from a Family of Unicyclers (we are determined to get Mom involved too) in Pittsburgh, PA (we have never seen another unicycler is person in two years). 

Thanks for the excellent comment! 

giphy.gif

• Like 2

5 hours ago, EUChristian said:

I’m a casual reader and have had a wheel for two years (KS16). My 10 yr old(V8) and 6 yr old(Mten3) have wheels. I research wheels with them all the time and we have no brand loyalty. Instead we buy for purpose as you can see. Each wheel fits us. My oldest and I like the idea of suspension and we are engaging in lively banter between these two new offerings. We have been following this thread and many others of interest. In fact my 10 yr old learned how to ride backwards two weeks ago thanks to tips from this very forum. Thankfully (and probably 40 falls later) I can ride backwards to as of two days ago (the verbal beating from friends drove me to keep going after an ankle/pedal/smash/wound). 

I’m thankful my kids don’t have huge egos yet, but when they do I’ll explain to them the ouward effect of it like this:

“Two people get into an argument. Neither is completely correct and no further current information is clear so instead of agreeing to wait for more information, they start questioning each other’s speculation. They begin to apply intentionality where it may or may not exist. They question the other persons motives, and may question their integrity. This is followed by questioning what the other person’ words mean (the best part, sounds like two 6 yr olds with PHDs arguing), which is followed by hostile Ad hominem comments barely and ever so discreetly basked in a disgusting false sense of trying to legitimately listen to anything the other person says. This devolves into complete offense and sometimes loss of friendship. On forums it’s even better because you are in front of a group of peers and thus no one can back down because they fear being portrayed as weak or the bad guy, and if you mention this they will huff and puff about how wrong you are and go back playing to sticks and stones break my bones.”

Here’s the answer; not the easy one but the hard one: just walk away from every ridiculous argument in this thread fueled by ego completely. Completely stop posting in these personal ego arguments about what the exact definitions of words are. I know it’s a forum, I know it’s the internet, but I’d like to think we are professional on this side of the wheel. I’ve been passionate needlessly defending my beliefs, we all have. Just. Stop. Posting. About. It. 

Very important - if you are about to respond and defend yourself in anyway, please read above again since you completely missed the point. See I’m trying to kill my ego, it’s caused me more grief than happiness in my life and I’ve never gained a piece of bread, a dollar or a good nights sleep from being correct on an Internet forum. 

My daughter’s next wish is to learn to jump on her V8 and today we discovered Kuji pads. Not sure how we missed that. Thank you guys so much for everything you do and I look forward to lively debate which only goes so far. 

- Meant sincerely and respectfully from a Family of Unicyclers (we are determined to get Mom involved too) in Pittsburgh, PA (we have never seen another unicycler is person in two years). 

I don’t think you have to worry about that because after reading your entire comment I’m not really sure who you were specifically lecturing. Perhaps you were lecturing everyone? It doesn’t really matter. Welcome to the forum. Very cool about your kid learning to go backwards. My son can too. Around the entire block 10 times over.  My turn to learn. The Mten is easiest to learn to go backwards on I suppose. I know I’ll finally pick it up. I’ve been doing this for three years and I expect that I should’ve already learned to go backwards.

3 hours ago, Patton250 said:

I don’t think you have to worry about that because after reading your entire comment I’m not really sure who you were specifically lecturing. Perhaps you were lecturing everyone? It doesn’t really matter. Welcome to the forum. Very cool about your kid learning to go backwards. My son can too. Around the entire block 10 times over.  My turn to learn. The Mten is easiest to learn to go backwards on I suppose. I know I’ll finally pick it up. I’ve been doing this for three years and I expect that I should’ve already learned to go backwards.

Hey man I guess I was lecturing. Sorry for that. It’s comes from some deep part of my heart because argued like this for years on many forums. I’m 38 now and feel like an old man. This “old” man has busted up both wrists, both shoulders, I bruised a rib, both ankles damaged at various points etc. from this hobby I’m now addicted too. This has become the best hobby of my life. I am not athletic in the least but my god this is fun. We need to focus on that!

I can only ride the 16s backwards...I have problems on the MTen3 going forwards. We just purchased the 67volt with lower battery option for my daughter (she had a IPS, complete crap, broke after a couple rides). Was going to wait for the higher battery but we couldn’t lol and my daughter weights 35 pounds so range isn’t an issue. This one has the new bigger pedals retrofitted.  The angle of these pedals is nuts for a kingsong rider. Unsure if this is all Gotway cycles or this specific set up but I’m going to have to file them down to a better angle. I have researched this helps keep the MTen planted between the legs but it’s like riding a bucking bronco. Every time I apply just a tad of pressure to a toe the leverage of the angle translates into a full turn. I cannot go over 11 mph on it yet. 

The best advice I can give on going backwards from watching tons of YouTube videos and then finally experiencing it:

-learn to pendulum from front to back vs holding on to something and letting go - you have to learn the transition anyway.  Took 2 hours to not immediately fall off on reversing  

-the stance I have backwards is peculiar. I heard someone on YouTube describe the same thing. Basically I use the heel of my right foot and the toe of my left foot. It’s almost like my stance could be called “perching” on the wheel like a bird. 

-the wheel will wiggle a ton once you get going backwards (you will be forced to carve backwards)  I was convinced riding backwards and doing it straight was nearly impossible. I was wrong, this just came from practice.  

I can now confidently reverse on the Ks16 about 70% of the time and once reversed have no problem going backwards or turning. I can reverse once going backward to a forward roll around 30% and I am working on that.

Please excuse any late night grumpiness. I was just tired of reading pages of garbage. Cheers!  

And excuse my now off topic post!

Edited by EUChristian
  • Like 3

39 minutes ago, Kuji Rolls said:

I'm still waiting on the wheels to arrive. I like to ride the wheel around for a week or two to get a good feel for many different use cases before i even start filming and editing so... probably at the end of the month at the earliest. 

Very commendable but we're absolutely starved of independent information at the moment. Any chance you could at least give an idea of the range and speed a little sooner? Perhaps also mention the battery percentage when speed throttling occurs? Maybe even how easy or confusing it is to set up the suspension? I'm definitely looking forward to watching your big review though.

3 hours ago, Kuji Rolls said:

I'm still waiting on the wheels to arrive. I like to ride the wheel around for a week or two to get a good feel for many different use cases before i even start filming and editing so... probably at the end of the month at the earliest. 

It makes sense as there is a short adaption (for me at least) period before you can really push a new wheel. and now I guess it is also about getting the suspension feel on top of that.

Anyway I have my Oled Tv ready for cycle run YouTube when you publish videos. I love those visit China tour videos you made.

It is close to old school TopGear BBC show level entertainment. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, mike_bike_kite said:

Very commendable but we're absolutely starved of independent information at the moment. Any chance you could at least give an idea of the range and speed a little sooner? Perhaps also mention the battery percentage when speed throttling occurs? Maybe even how easy or confusing it is to set up the suspension? I'm definitely looking forward to watching your big review though.

Agreed. Looking to possibly preorder but the throttling matter more to me than the range. i too am looking forward to a thorough review!