King Song S18 Discussion

Phong Vu

On 6/1/2020 at 7:49 PM, jmsjms said:

Hi everyone,

I am considering the s18 as a first wheel. From what I understand full suspension means that I would not be able to jump up -- assuming I had attached paddings on each side to grab the wheel with my ankles -- because the spring on the wheel will drop down while I am jumping up. Is it kind of like the way airplane wheels are?

Preloading a suspension, typically HELPS in jumping.  As for which is better on bricks and railroad tracks..... flip a coin? I have opinions on that, but its all bullshit since a person would have to ride them to really know for sure. I REALLY hope the built in pads on the s18 accommodate decent curb jumps and the like, or I'll be quite disappointed.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, jmsjms said:

For riding on brick pavement at high speed, or for the crossing of railroad tracks again at high speed, would the s18 be the preferred wheel for shock absorption over the v11 or the Gotway with the 22" tires?

If it's your first wheel I would not recommend the 22" Monster. And if that kind of pavement will be majority of your ride then I do recommend a suspended wheel. The difference between the two will be pretty small although the S18 suspension might look better on paper. I would not choose first wheel based only on that, neither will be bad and both will be much better ride than any other wheel. Right now you can only get an answer based on theory and one review. I would suggest buying the one that makes you feel better or suits your need. The other differences will be mainly range and weight. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, jmsjms said:

For riding on brick pavement at high speed, or for the crossing of railroad tracks again at high speed, would the s18 be the preferred wheel for shock absorption over the v11 or the Gotway with the 22" tires?

I do it all the time on my 16x, so it is a safe bet any of those 3 can do it. S18 is the best though. :D

PS 35kmh is my "high speed" though.

Edited by B08AH

16 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

I REALLY hope the built in pads on the s18 accommodate decent curb jumps and the like, or I'll be quite disappointed.

And if I can't ride up the stairs, I am suing.

Edited by B08AH

On 5/26/2020 at 11:46 AM, B08AH said:

Did not KingSong choose black as the main color? This could be fake. I.e. Kuji's test unit wrapped in 16X's box and plastic.

Looks like they chose white with rubberized black being available via special order.  I just got this email from my distributor so I asked him to put my order in as the black.  It's gonna look Bad A$$!

received_256406945463302_2.jpeg

• Like 1

That's interesting, especially given that rumor about them doing away with white. I agree with them that the white accentuates the striking design more than the black, though I certainly understand why people would prefer black.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Excellent! I was on the fence at the beginning, but definitely want white now. I was worried they were only coming in black. It seems the masses have spoken and now white is standard. I guess there is a small fee to special order in black? It is too bad that black is always the fastest color, but I'll get over it.

Zero fee.  It said $0 USD from my seller.  I have a 14S in white but always wanted a black wheel as it stays clean and doesn't show as much wear from crashing.  Kingsomg is aware that there is demand for both and they will accommodate.  Can't wait!

• Like 3

Black looks good, for sure. I'm biased, as I've not had much luck with rubber coatings in the past. Im not saying Kingsong's wont be great, or we'd heard about it already. I do know that rubberized coatings dont like stickers and adhesives on them. That, and ALL my wheels are white already. Good to know the special order for the faster black color is $0usd. Black shows dust, and none of my scratch removers/polishes will probably do any good on it. Again, Im probably justifying an opinionated bias. Choices are great and maybe KS decided having white too, would be different than the v11 in black only.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 2

They list the black as 5mph faster and guarantee that it gets more attention from the ladies 😁😜😁

• Like 2

16 hours ago, B08AH said:

Yeah, I am getting white and doing some red aquaprint, will see who is faster then.

Just put a new high performance integrated Mudguard/Spoiler on it and maybe integrated airfoil grip pads and you'll leave them all in the dust (unless they do the same in black).

• Like 1

Just received an email from Jason at eWheels:

Good afternoon, 

We've just received an update from King Song that they're now in the process of beginning the first S18 production around the 20th of this month. If all goes to plan, it's expected that these first S18s will be completed by the first week of July, with 3 weeks transit to the US. Once this production is closer to being finalized, we'll be reviewing the air shipping option to shave off a few weeks wait—the expected additional cost for air-freight from Hong Kong to our facility will be about $200. 

Upgraded charger: these Wheels will be shipping with the upgraded fanless 2.5A charger for no additional cost.      

It is so nice to deal with people like this!

• Like 3

So....June has become August? Since the original dates are pushed back anyhow, I wonder if we are going to HAVE to pay the extra $200 to get it 2-3 weeks faster. I've resigned to waiting and have lost the excitement now. I'd just about rather save the $200 and get the thing whenever the hell it gets here. I recall it being nearer $1800 in price for a moment. I am curious to see what it will REALLY be in the very end.

Jason is awesome, I appreciate his efforts of course!

Edited by ShanesPlanet

The weight has gone up to 25 kg. That might be a problem as I have preordered S18 for mainly my girlfriend and she doesn't want any heavier than V10F (20.6 kg). Oh well, not going to cancel. Let's see how it feels to ride first, there will be takers if we don't like it. Plus both colors are being produced. Just got this info from eunicycles.eu. 

Dear Customer,

We have some news about S18:

1. The King Song factory decided to produce on first batch Rubber Black and White color. If you want to change the color, please let me know as soon as possible

2. The King Song declare the total weight of S18 will be around 25kg. They have to use more reliable materials and the tire which is more popular but more heavy. If you want to cancel your order because of this, please let me know.

Best regards,

Ryszard

EUNICYCLES.EU

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Phong Vu said:

so... now it's only 2kg lighter than V11, with more awkward pickup handler...

Thats not good to hear from a carrying perspective. I don't know about which handle as I've never carried both, but an increase in production weight, sucks. Of course, the flip side is that it may be being made of better materials. Oh well, I'm still placing my focus on the suspension, but I guess you can't have it all.

DId anyone else watch them play with the s18 in a puddle on facebook? I dont know how to share those, but it looks like MAYBE I wont have to dump mine in a puddle, as someone else is already testing for that. I wont be convinced until I see someone get it muddy and rinse with a hose or drop it IN a puddle. I'd like to see the same thing on the v11, tho I bet that NEITHER would like being underwater for even a moment....

13 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

从便携的角度来看,那太不好了。我不知道该握哪个手柄,因为我从未携带过这两个手柄,但是生产重量增加了。当然,反面是它可能由更好的材料制成。哦,我仍然将重点放在悬架上,但是我想您不可能拥有全部。

有人在Facebook上的水坑里看着他们玩s18吗?我不知道如何分享这些内容,但是看起来我可能不必将我的内容丢在水坑里,因为其他人已经在为此进行测试。在看到有人弄脏它并用软管冲洗或将其掉入水坑之前,我不会说服我。我想在v11上看到同样的事情,我敢打赌NEITHER甚至想在水下呆一会儿...。

The s18 battery is wrapped in an independent aluminum casing and the outside is a semi-nude casing

• Like 1

Short Facebook S18 clip posted by Kuji, entitled:

"Little bunny hops have never been easier"

4 hours ago, Xolition said:

.... The white color is also growing on me....

For some reason white looks better on that wheel than others, maybe because they is less of it and/or it's more matte.

Edited by FreeRide

4 minutes ago, FreeRide said:

For some reason white looks better on that wheel than others, maybe because they is less off it and/or it's more matte.

I would say it looks slightly less crap than on most other wheels.

Facebook source:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ElectricUnicycle/permalink/3000455543385722/

Looks like someone outside of Asia, got the S18 early! 

Jelly! 

FB_IMG_1591755727086.jpg

FB_IMG_1591755732951.jpg

Edit: just realised its someone's mug, the images were posted to a public viewable Facebook group, but if this violates the forum rules, I'll take it down. Cheers

Edited by onizukagto