WaveCut

27 minutes ago, Seba said:

I've edited my post to add more data, as conclusion is quite interesting - regardless of ride distance, average riding speed is only about 20 km/h (13 mph).

Could it be possible to find out an estimation of average cruising speed, once the acceleration is done and the wheel is cruising for at least 5 minutes and before braking. I think stop-and-go city traffic influences the result. I typically only ride fast when the road is clear and I’m not heading to another crossing soon. That’s when a slower wheel would start to annoy me.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, UniVehje said:

Could it be possible to find out an estimation of average cruising speed, once the acceleration is done and the wheel is cruising for at least 5 minutes and before braking. I think stop-and-go city traffic influences the result. I typically only ride fast when the road is clear and I’m not heading to another crossing soon. That’s when a slower wheel would start to annoy me.

I'm not sure 'stop and go' is quite the same as 'cruising'. I think average speed on longer trips is about as reliable as we can get. Not including the time sitting at a stop, is already calculated. Like it or not, the stopping in traffic IS part of your 'cruise'.  What idea are you trying to support with the request? Not being an ass, just trying to figure out where you're going with that train of thought. I would think that a stop or two even DURING a 5-10 minute trip, wouldnt lower the average by much,? Where I ride, its easy to go 24 miles and not ever stop. I consider that cruising. :)

Edited by ShanesPlanet

26 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Like it or not, the stopping in traffic IS part of your 'cruise'.  What idea are you trying to support with the request?

Yes, that is clear from above. I think my post is clear already. The point is to analyse the data and filter out only the parts when people ride for a long time on an open road. And this in relation to the discussion at hand about how these polls and average speeds reflect to the specs being enough for majority of riders. It's really just a few parts of the rides when it's even possible to utilise the higher speeds available and can be lost in the data even when looking only at longer tours. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, UniVehje said:

Could it be possible to find out an estimation of average cruising speed, once the acceleration is done and the wheel is cruising for at least 5 minutes and before braking

5' doesn't seem feasible. A full minute of sustained speed and current is already a lot, IMO. I have the impression that even 30" of zero acceleration/deceleration isn't all that common. Maybe it would have to be studied within speed ranges rather than constant speed (a variation of up to 5 km/h maybe?)

6 hours ago, buell47 said:

Of course, if everything is perfect in your case, we have clarified this and similar issues and can finally close this chapter.

You don't need faster or more range and it is not allowed to ride faster anyway, so even in the middle of the wilderness between owls and bears you would definitely not ride faster than the law allows, even if there is a bear chasing you. :facepalm:

Now feel how you like about my opinion, I couldn't care less, honestly, I really don't care. But I don't mock you on your opinion.

That said how many times have you been chased by a bear? Because next time I love to see how fit it is compared to here in Sweden.

But I rather ride within the limits I am allowed and be allowed to ride, that get a total ban that is heavily enforced, with fines, confiscation of wheels and all that hassle.

We have many countries that are moving towards a ban. It might be the case where you live @buell47 but since it is inside EU I think you still need to consider what an EU ban would mean to you and requesting longer range and faster wheels. I don’t want to end up as we have heard about both from Germany and UK.

I would rather get our wheels accepted in general and then it becomes easier to get allowance to go faster, just as it happened for e-bicycles. Going from assisted max 25kmh to fully self-propelled up to 45kmh.

I do think it is interesting data that @Seba listed above. In general I just thing people are too focused on speed. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Asphalt said:

This is great data.

It would be interesting to compare it to car data.
Apparently the average speed of a car in mid-town Manhattan is 4.7 mph.
Source: https://www.theverge.com/2019/5/14/18623149/uber-movement-average-car-speed-data-cities

I wonder how many car manufacturers make their design decisions based on average driver speed?

It depends what cars you are looking at and what other options fitted around this. Technically we see cars going 1000kmh but are they practical? it isn't that it cannot be done....

Looking at electric cars you will see they are not in general made to super fast compared to cars and range is the huge issue vs price too. So they are trying to find a balance in this. The goal here is to make it cheap enough to sell and since there is a upper limit to how fast yu are allowed to go it doesn't make sence to pass that with a huge margin. Yes the tesla cars are very fast in accelerations, but between gass sports car and tesla versions they are still not high speed cars. 

No matter what product you are to launch you have to look at expected value to the buyer and how much they will spend. It does not mean you cannot push that limit but you still need to consider it. I recall the first reaction here that both S100 and V11 were too expensive. Yet we see several have still placed pre-orders.

The speed and range complains will never end, there will always be someone want more than what's been offered.

If the max speed is 35mph, people will ask for few more mph "for safety buffering", like Gotway.
If the battery is 1800WH, people will ask for some more, like 2000WH or 2500WH, "for safety buffering", like Gotway.

:D 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Unventor said:

I ride my EUC because it is more convenient than taking my car. Price has nothing to do with it. In fact, in many occasions getting around at my speeds on an EUC is just as fast or faster than in my car. If you take your EUC to an area by your car then you might not need to use it on public road. But the area your ride might still be considered a public area. 

It has also proven to be exceptional well to keep my rheumatic pain and stiffness of my joints at bay (knees, hips, feet and back). As soon as I do not ride a week, I am back to be a frozen fish stick. But just riding 5-10km a day makes me back to a normal person again. So, I use this as a "medical" device. It is not about being cool. 

I doubt many forest trails are made for 60-70kmh rides unless it is on a road. Now in the EU the battle is still ongoing to get this accepted as proper and safe vehicle to be allowed in road traffic. Now this is just from the other day: 

https://translate.google.se/translate?hl=sv&tab=TT&sl=fr&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.anumme.fr%2F2020%2F05%2F02%2Fcompte-rendu-de-la-reunion-avec-la-commission-europeenne-du-24-04-2020%2F

This well be affected by people and their ride behaviours. 

If you drive Nascar it is a sport, but it is not meant for public road. I have no issue with people racing on a racetrack. But when they take their Nascar attitude to the public roads and disregard road traffic laws it is a quite different matter. A full out public ban in the EU would hit any brand. 

To put this in same context but in a much more extreme version. Guns, some think they are fun and cool. But in many countries there are laws on how you can handle these. Some think it is cool to have higher fire rate and higher calibre. Yes, they too are used in sports, but they are in many countries not allowed in public. And you normally need to hold a permit and have them registered. 

I am advocating EUC as a public transport. I see huge benefits in this. But to do this first step is to be road legal. Next step is to be able to take out an insurance. And that one incident it not reflected to the type of vehicle but down to the incident circumstance and the rider. 

I will argue to any day still that 50kmh is more than fast enough with the risks and designs we see right now. As there are limited redundant systems and how an EUC basic function is. I do think that the V11 is one of those steppingstones to get better safety when riding. 

And this is also why I don't buy GW. I am not suporting these high speed wheel design.

I can testify to this living in the UK, the last thing we need is riders creating bad publicity riding like idiots when legislation is on a knife edge as it is...

• Like 2

21 hours ago, mrelwood said:

The polls were very nice, and I think they do tell us a lot as is. But I wanted to point out that when reading into the stats, one has to consider a few aspects not entirely obvious at the first sight, in order not to get a wrong idea. The notion that people would be happy and satisfied with specs that meet their own answers just isn’t correct.

I completely agree :)

Scrutiny time! ;) 

1) How one measures range. When @Marty Backe measures range, he rides  at a steady pace basically until the wheel won’t budge. When doing so, a big chunk of the trip (that while being consistent, doesn’t reflect anyone’s real life riding in the first place) is limited in speed, and much bigger yet is limited in acceleration. A distance one can ride comfortably is maybe something like 2/3 of the maximum range. This brings a 90km range down to 60km of practical distance. Have a heavy gas foot? 40km. Weigh a bit more? 30km. Suddenly even a measured range is very far from the practical distance that one wants to ride on a daily basis. And the above example doesn’t even require an enthusiast to plummet 90km of “range“.

2) Tour vs charge-to-charge. I‘m sure that for most commuters and leisure riders the rides start and end at a place where a charger is located. Mine sometimes doesn’t though. I can ride up to 25km per side to a friend or a meet, hang out for a while, and only then start the actual tour. Back home the same way. At worst I might want to use a whopping 50km just for commuting to the actual tour. I’m ok with riding back home on fumes, but even still, even my now 1850Wh MSX doesn’t spare much range for the actual tour.

A rare example for sure, but just one where consuming a long range doesn’t require near Sebaman level stamina.

Very good points. Just before checking your reply I read @Mike Sacristan's comments on FW 2.02 for the 16X, where he's experiencing decreased range, possibly because the pedals are stiffer. Comes to show how even the slightest change (wind, tire pressure, etc.) can affect range. The conclusion being expect 1/2 the announced range, demand double! :D

About charge-to-charge riding, you're right that's probably the case for most users. If I were you, I'd probably top up at my friend's before setting off :)

A crucial amount of the practical range is up to how the manufacturer decides to throttle the top speed, and how far it allows the cells to deflate. The V10(F) for example, I’m sure the top speed would serve much more users if it didn’t start to throttle already at 70% battery. And allowing to gently ride down to 3.0V per cell also gives a significant boost to the maximum range. A 70% throttle threshold and 0% at 3.3V would make for an exceptionally poor practical range, regardless of the maximum range. The 2000W 18XL approach (25% thr, 0% @ 3.0V) OTOH makes for one of the best real life ranges in the industry, from a 1554Wh wheel. I’d be perfectly happy with the latter, while I could be selling my V11 a month after receiving if they go with the 70% and  3.3V combo.

I entirely agree, the 2000W 18XL's throttling approach is exceptional. You can get an idea of my priorities based on the wheels I own (excluding the V8). :D

The 18XL is hard to beat in terms of range, but I'm also very pleased with my 16X's range, although it's much more susceptible to being halved by my... enthusiastic riding:whistling:

I refrained from commenting on throttling because I personally don't like IM's approach at all and I'd rather stay clear of topics I have a strong opinion on... :whistling:

(also, I haven't been following this thread closely enough to know how the V11 throttles, so no knowledge, no opinion)

if the V11 speed is inflated by 10% and greeted with a jerky, sudden and loud tilt-back, it wouldn’t cut it for me.

That was smooth! ;)

And benevolent: inflation has been known to be more than 10% on these hypothetical wheels of which you speak...:efefa6edcf:

@Unventor has been open about being in numerous talks with several Inmotion employees. If he passes along a message that “based on a forum poll most riders would be satisfied with...”, he would be wrong in reading the results that way, and if Inmotion ends up making decisions based on that, they will limit the V11 sales much more than they intend to. That is why I started dissecting the poll data in the first place.

Good point. I'm really not serving my own best interest am I? :facepalm:

The more they base decisions on that, the more GW sells. Simple as that. Personally I wouldn’t mind Inmotion stealing a good chunk of those sales.

:thumbup:

Or KS. Or anyone...My current wish is for something with the aesthetics and suspension of the S18, the range (and pedals) of the 18XL, the torque of the MSP and the headlight and weatherproofing of the V11. Is it really that much to ask for? :efee612b4b:

Edited by travsformation
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, travsformation said:

Or KS. Or anyone...My current wish is for something with the aesthetics and suspension of the S18, the range (and pedals) of the 18XL, the torque of the MSP and the headlight and weatherproofing of the V11. Is it really that much to ask for? :D

...and the speed from the MSS. :thumbup:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, buell47 said:

...and the price from a ninebot one A1:roflmao:

And, can hold my beer to 'watch THIS'!

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

On 5/16/2020 at 6:31 PM, mrelwood said:

has been open about being in numerous talks with several Inmotion employees. If he passes along a message that “based on a forum poll most riders would be satisfied with...”, he would be wrong in reading the results that way, and if Inmotion ends up making decisions based on that, they will limit the V11 sales much more than they intend to. That is why I started dissecting the poll data in the first place.

I have stated different things to IM. Some as I see this as a frequent request. So as this in my view. 

Example of frequent request: more battery capacity. Build in sound (added I don't see it as a huge issue) build in light (another added I don't see it as huge issue). Suggestions of tire choices (bought in the tire guru @mrelwood)

Personally wish: better weatherproofing , easy maintenance screws that don't damage wheel the each times you open it. I don't see a need for faster than 50kmh. I hope they don't do what KS did to KS16X.

I have been linking to forum posts too. Made a list of possible after-sales improvement/suggestions. 

This has been going of for some time [months) now. I don't hold an illusion I can shape the V11. But I have tried to make easy to add suggestions in hope we get a product that we will love and become a new hard not to own wheel. I could see this as a new modern KS18XL wheel with added comfort and safety. I don't see the S18 going to achieve that. 

As it stands right now the V11 looks to me to be a commuters dream. I don't see it as hard core extreme riders would buy it. And due to this I see still little need to raise speed. 

I have given feedback and communicate on different platforms as I didn't want to end up in a S18-like shitstotm thread. 

In the end the profit for a brand is to sell many unit of a model. Making something for super extreme riders are hardly a huge profit market especially when we saw the reaction to initial price. 

I can only say IM have listen a lot. I have huge expectations for this to become an exceptional wheel. Not in terms of range or top speed but more as the goto daily wheel. And this is why I buy a wheel. Unfortunately my choices in KS has not been the best due to 1st batch issues. I hope the quietness from IM is due to making sure there are now 1st batch mistakes.

Last I heard is though they are on track to make promised launch date to customers. (This was about 2 weeks ago now). It should also mean reviewers should start to recieve sample wheels any time now. 

• Like 1