KingSong 16X 1554Wh 2200W 16*3in (Released July 2019)

Jean eRide.ie Community

@US69 I am far from an expert and only have the 18XL, but for whom, and why are you making excuses for Kingsong, do you have some personal interest? In my opinion their quality control as far as my wheel is concerned leaves a lot to be desired. Regardless of Kuji's weight or his aggressive riding, this should not happen.

Regards - Bruno

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

14 hours ago, Kuji Rolls said:

So to help clarify from my side, it is limited to HARD acceleration followed by immediate braking. Ive cruised at top speed followed by hard braking without any problems. So, braking isnt the issue, its the hard acceleration (much more preventable). Kingsong has been pushing out new firmware updates and made vast improvements to the motor control in the last month, so i believe that this will be a simple firmware update soon. A hard hill climb demanding the same power didnt result in this problem. 

Other than this motor control problem, the 16X has been a blast to ride. 

The behaviour shows more on Hard as controller is faster to respond. 

Not sure what they use,  but at least PID or some quadratic regulator.

It goes into oscillation mode and boom. So they need to tune parameters...

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

If you're a WheelLog user, does it connect to the wheel and does it show the proper battery level?

Yes it connects to WheelLog and Gyrometrics.  Neither show correct voltage or battery levels - and I trust neither to adjust settings.

Darknessbot would not connect.

• Like 1

@The Fat Unicyclist

On 7/26/2019 at 4:14 AM, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Hey @Gaz Bon - I have some 16X units leaving Shenzhen on Wednesday.. And one unit will become a demo unit (which is code for "my wheel"). I hope to post feedback from a range of users as well as my take on it.   :D

And before everyone else asks... Yes, it if it possible, we will be manufacturing an EUC Bodyguard for it too!   ;)

Can I get an order in for the EUC Bodyguard for the KS16x?  Happy to work with prototypes if you like.    

(Also maybe send one to @Kuji Rolls it looks like his test wheel could really use it!! Kuji The Force is with you man, no idea who you do what you do, I'd be a lump of road rash.  And thank you, not just for the testing, communications, but also for your videos too!).

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Mike Paolini said:

Yes it connects to WheelLog and Gyrometrics.  Neither show correct voltage or battery levels - and I trust neither to adjust settings.

Darknessbot would not connect.

Interesting. So it's not an issue with the app. The firmware has to be updated.

Looking at kuji video it looks like he new the problem was there that's why he filmed it that way and that's why he set off like a nutter and brakes hard , was he testing it for KS maybe , i think he'd of come off worse if it was a suprise

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, stephen said:

Looking at kuji video it looks like he new the problem was there that's why he filmed it that way and that's why he set off like a nutter and brakes hard , was he testing it for KS maybe , i think he'd of come off worse if it was a suprise

This has been a known issue. @eddiemoy first reported on what was then a subtle wheel rocking behavior during regular riding. Seems like Kingsong has been fine tuning it to the point where it now only occurs during abrupt decay in acceleration.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, wheelr said:

This has been a known issue. @eddiemoy first reported on what was then a subtle wheel rocking behavior during regular riding. Seems like Kingsong has been fine tuning it to the point where it now only occurs during abrupt decay in acceleration.

Yes i know that's what i was trying to say

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, US69 said:

No other Driver uptodate was able to reproduce this extrem behavior...or better lets say: Nobody has run into such a Wheel Feedback!

This sounds like an excuse to me trying to downplay the issue with the 16X. If it can happen to Kuji, it can happen to anyone. A wheel with this sort of behavior should never have shipped in the first place. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, US69 said:

Such overhefty lean in and acceleration,  followed by crazy overlean braking, just for the Purpose of doing it...is and will be NEVER RECOMMEND! On NO brand Wheel!

I can only appeal to a healthy common sense!

Couple important points I need you to reflect on and deeply understand:

1.  There are multiple paths (repro steps) to an error state. Who's to say this won't repro under the right combination of ordinary parameters? 
  2. "healthy common sense" - that's what's known as a thought terminating cliché. It's dismissive.
4 hours ago, US69 said:

This may have Worked out -until now- for Kuji….as he is perhaps about  65kg!?

Didn't realize Kuji was such a fat ass ;)

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

On a different note, the efforts around EUC production is amateurish, focusing too much on aesthetics, and not enough on bread and butter research and testing. 

I'm in the minority, but if Toyota were to produce a wheel, I would happily burn $10k, because their engineering process is something else. They make Germans look like amateurs.

Before you balk at that notion, take a moment to consider how EUC manufacturers can't even give us a MTBF or even a maintenance interval. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, chrisjunlee said:

Before you balk at that notion, take a moment to consider how EUC manufacturers can't even give us a MTBF or even a maintenance interval. 

That's because a lot of buyers never get to a maintenance point.

If you only ride your wheel on smooth pavement, in dry weather, what maintenance would it need?

Or you just buy a wheel that has been on the market for a while. If even the multi-billion dollar car industry has these issues with new models, what do you expect from EUC's.

Pretty sure that if you buy a Gotway MSX today you get a bullet proof wheel. But we always want the new thing that just hit the market :) 

Edited by ir_fuel
  • Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Anagnorisis said:

I also have a stinking suspicion that these companies don't really care about MTBF, reliability or even your safety unless it impacts sales.

You think that only applies to EUC companies?

As fictionalized in Fight Club:

Narrator:
A new car built by my company leaves somewhere traveling at 60 mph. The rear differential locks up. The car crashes and burns with everyone trapped inside. Now, should we initiate a recall? Take the number of vehicles in the field, A, multiply by the probable rate of failure, B, multiply by the average out-of-court settlement, C. A times B times C equals X. If X is less than the cost of a recall, we don't do one.

Business woman on plane:
Are there a lot of these kinds of accidents?

Narrator:
You wouldn't believe.

Business woman on plane:
Which car company do you work for?

Narrator:
A major one.

Edited by Jon Stern
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, gr8ps said:

This sounds like an excuse to me trying to downplay the issue with the 16X. If it can happen to Kuji, it can happen to anyone. A wheel with this sort of behavior should never have shipped in the first place. 

That’s a little dramatic isn’t it? 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, chrisjunlee said:

On a different note, the efforts around EUC production is amateurish, focusing too much on aesthetics, and not enough on bread and butter research and testing. 

I'm in the minority, but if Toyota were to produce a wheel, I would happily burn $10k, because their engineering process is something else. They make Germans look like amateurs.

I’m starting to think some of you guys take this hobby really seriously. 

• Upvote 2