KingSong 16X 1554Wh 2200W 16*3in (Released July 2019)

Jean eRide.ie Community

4 minutes ago, ir_fuel said:

Other question: I received 2 small fuses in the box. Where are those supposed to go? Where are there accessible fuses that could pop?

On the main board under the handle. Look up videos of opening the wheel if you ever need to fix something. 

5 minutes ago, ir_fuel said:

Other question: I received 2 small fuses in the box. Where are those supposed to go? Where are there accessible fuses that could pop?

on the board.. they dont make them accessible anymore

32 minutes ago, ir_fuel said:

First question:

I have been charging the wheel for about 9 hours. When I came back to it there was a red glow inside with a blue pulsating light (could be seen through the case) and the fan was going full chat. The case felt warm. Since I want to go to bed I unplugged the charger. At that point the speakers went "pop", the headlight flashed a split second and the fan and the internal lights went off.

It was as if the wheel was in some kind of semi powered on state.  Is this normal for a KingSong wheel? This is my first one btw.

FYI I never turned on the wheel. I just put it there and plugged the charger. Charger is still red, so not at 100% charge.

It is normal for this wheel.

2 hours ago, ir_fuel said:

First question:

I have been charging the wheel for about 9 hours. When I came back to it there was a red glow inside with a blue pulsating light (could be seen through the case) and the fan was going full chat. The case felt warm. Since I want to go to bed I unplugged the charger. At that point the speakers went "pop", the headlight flashed a split second and the fan and the internal lights went off.

It was as if the wheel was in some kind of semi powered on state.  Is this normal for a KingSong wheel? This is my first one btw.

FYI I never turned on the wheel. I just put it there and plugged the charger. Charger is still red, so not at 100% charge.

It's normal, although sloppy for Kingsong to not add in a depopper circuit.

Anyone live near Toledo that would be gracious enough to pick up my 16X at the local FedEx office and then starting charging it for me? :crying:

Edited by Rehab1
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Mike Paolini said:

When you trigger Horizontal Calibration in the App, it turns the KS16x.  You'd positing it then, and do a long press to turn it on in calibration mode, after which you turn it off again.  Also made a video showing how to do it using the packing materials:  

@Mike Paolini Have you had a chance to ride it? Is the tiltback still happening?

12 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

THAT WAS A JOKE. THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE WHATSOEVER BEFORE OR AFTER 1000 MILES. CHARGE WHENEVER YOU WANT TO.

Rules for batteries:

• Do not keep them very full or very empty for a long time (~weeks). Ideally, store your wheel at maybe 90% and top up the day before a ride or so. But even that is almost overly careful. Charging to 100% by default if you use the wheel regularly is no issue either.
  • For long term storage, start at something like 70%. As long as they don't go lower by themselves into "very empty" territory (e.g. vampire drain on the Z10), you can keep them like this forever, months and years. No maintenance needed besides being sure they don't discharge for some reason.
  • Regularly (maybe once a month) charge to 100% and keep the charger in and give the cells some time to balance. This prevents subtle differences piling up into something that degrades the battery life or even damages the cells in the extreme case.
  • Use them! EUCs are not for standing around or babying the battery. Never ever do not charge if you might need the charge. In doubt, charge!
    By the time you notice any battery degradation (which would only be a small loss of capacity = range anyways), your wheel is old and beat up and you will have a new one already. For reference, 200 charge cycles on the 16X (when maybe the degradation slowly starts) is 16000km/10k miles (80km range for the 1600Wh * 200). 500 cycles (a reasonable number where you might have 80% of the original capacity) is 40000km/25k miles. Those are huge numbers.
    These batteries are much more robust than everyone believes. And the are meant to be used anyways.
  • Do not run the battery down (only charge when it gets empty). It is always safer for you to ride with the highest possible battery charge (the batteries themselves wouldn't care). E.g. if you ride to work every day, charge to 90% or 100% every day, instead of riding for 3 days and then only charging when the battery is empty.
    (This mainly goes for smaller batteries and as a general rule, the huge 16X battery has so much reserves, it will allow high performance even at very low charge. But there's simply no reason not to charge.)

Totally agree.   I can’t get all technical but I had my wheel cutout on me because I wasn’t paying attention and the battery got low enough for there to be performance throttling and when I tried to ride like it was at 100%... faceplant!   So yes!! Always charge up fully as often as possible so that doesn’t happen to you :) 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Harvey Pooka said:

@Mike Paolini Have you had a chance to ride it? Is the tiltback still happening?

I know you didn't ask me, but it didn't work for me. I've calibrated several times (I've always used that packing material as a stand) and I still get the tilt back.

I'm hoping this gets resolved in the firmware update that's coming on Wednesday.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Rules for batteries:

(... snipped the generally accepted best practices for EUC battery usage.)

I don’t know why, but the mentioned practices do not seem to have worked very well for me. The only thing I’ve perhaps done differently is balance charging more often than suggested.

First time my 16S developed a dead cell was at around 5000km. I replaced the dead pair. At around 9000km the wheel was mostly unused for a full year at 60% charge, during which a second pair of cells had died.

7 hours ago, Jean Dublin said:

and get a Gotway to KingSong adapter from Chris@1RadWerkstatt@1radwerkstatt

I urge everybody who plans on using a charger not included with the wheel, to measure the charger polarity and compare it to the original charger before connecting the new charger for the first time!

Too many boards have gone toast because the inverted polarity KS uses for these wheels.

A suitable multimeter can be had for $20, if not less. If you feel overwhelmed by all the whatts, ants, and the ”volts for hours” and do not wish to learn how to look for a minus sign on a display, ask for help. Ask at a group ride. Ask here. Ask your high school friends. It is the simplest thing to measure.

7 hours ago, Jean Dublin said:

But use the slow charger as many times as possible, only use the fast one when really needed. Slow charge is better for the battery long term. 

A 5 amp charge is a slow charge for a 1000kw+ battery pack, and I haven’t heard an even slower charge to be considered beneficial. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, BleepBloopBlop said:

Day 3 Update:

Miles for the day: 63 miles

Total miles on 16X: 165 miles 

New PR top speed: 31.8 mph

I'm getting super comfortable on the wheel and can basically cruise consistently near the tilt back on a full charge. Its not as relaxing to ride the tiltback so I try to hang out just below it. I really can't imagine owning a wheel with less battery capacity as I like to maintain 25+ mph sustained for long periods. I'm really thinking my next wheel needs to be a MSX 1845 or Nikola 1845. I wonder if Gotway will refresh the MSX 100V over the winter and release an official 1845wh version?

Screenshot_20190801-224503_Kingsong.jpg

The MSX has the disadvantage of not having as much interior shell space as the Nikola. I wouldn't hold your breath for an 1845 MSX.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

The MSX has the disadvantage of not having as much interior shell space as the Nikola. I wouldn't hold your breath for an 1845 MSX.

Where there's a will there's a way. This is not the first time we have put large objects in small spaces. The case looks stock but you never know.

Today I am metting my friend Tobbe for a ride. MSX 84 1600Wh and Nikola+ 100v 1845Wh. I will post back with impressions.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33053195036.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.2f373c00QCK3BP

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BleepBloopBlop said:

I really can't imagine owning a wheel with less battery capacity as I like to maintain 25+ mph sustained for long periods. I'm really thinking my next wheel needs to be a MSX 1845 or Nikola 1845. I wonder if Gotway will refresh the MSX 100V over the winter and release an official 1845wh version?

I think a 100v 1845wh may even do less range than the KS16X 84v 1600wh. 

Saying that because the MSX 84v "1600wh" does about 60km range while the KingSong 18XL 1554wh does 90-100km range.

My 18L 1000wh does 55-65km. 

That is why I'm asking for a KS16X range test, to know if it is as efficient as the 18L/XL.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Anyone else running firmware 1.02?  This is what mine updated to last night when I was setting up my wheel.  I rode a few miles on it without any issue.

Also, has anyone ever achieved a green light on their brick while charging?  I've had it on for about 8 hours and still red.