KingSong 16X 1554Wh 2200W 16*3in (Released July 2019)

Jean eRide.ie Community

I just received a new KS-16X yesterday. Shortly after I registered it, the app notified there was a new firmwares available and to upgrade it. After the firmware was updated, the version of the firmware went from V1.01 to V1.00. The Kingsong app now displays illegal device on the main screen of the app. I no longer have access to many of the settings and the lights on the wheel remain solid green. I  was able to ride the wheel after this, but it was a little squirrellly. Does anyone have any idea how to resolve this issue?

4 hours ago, Jon Stern said:

I just went for a lunchtime ride. I was getting the random tiltback (and one or two tilt forwards) every couple of minutes. Frequently at very, very low speeds. See the photo for the kind of tilt I'm getting. This is persisting after I stop and on times slowly drifted back to level. Other times, I cycled the power.

I tried changing the riding mode from "Experiment" to "Riding". Same behavior.

I tried changing the "Warping Speed" setting incase the setting hadn't correctly been received by the wheel (I suspect there's no handshaking between the app and the wheel). No difference.

Tried lowing the last alarm and warping speed, but then got annoyed by the alarm and set it back up again. For some random reason, I was able to ride for 10-15 mins without any random tiltback.

I thought maybe the issue had gone away and it was some kind of warping setting reception error, but then while at my desk with no motion, the wheel tilted back once more.

As it is, the wheel is close to unrideable. I suspect it's a firmware-related issue, but I don't know if this is on KingSongs' radar (@US69 @Kuji Rolls?).

IMG_8380.JPG

1. Firmware version?

2. Do you upgrade firmware after you received the EUC? Our engineer carelessly released a test firmware to the server.

3. I rode KS-16X V1.01 firmware at speed lower than 30km/h from our company to my rent house (12.2km) for 5 times. 

4. Speed setting may not be changeable in iphone(new IOS APP version will be released in next Monday or Tuesday to fix this issue),  So when speed reach 20km/h,  the wheel will tilt back(this is normal). I used Samsung NOTE 8 and Huawei Changxiang 9, can change the speed setting.

5. Pedal Tilt back and Tilt forward happen in one wheel, the main factor may be caused by loose connection between pedal cylinder and the motor, or horizontal data is not correct and need to do horizontal calibration.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Micheal Shen said:

1. Firmware version?

2. Do you upgrade firmware after you received the EUC? Our engineer carelessly released a test firmware to the server.

3. I rode KS-16X V1.01 firmware at speed lower than 30km/h from our company to my rent house (12.2km) for 5 times. 

4. Speed setting may not be changeable in iphone(new IOS APP version will be released in next Monday or Tuesday to fix this issue),  So when speed reach 20km/h,  the wheel will tilt back(this is normal). I used Samsung NOTE 8 and Huawei Changxiang 9, can change the speed setting.

5. Pedal Tilt back and Tilt forward happen in one wheel, the main factor may be caused by loose connection between pedal cylinder and the motor, or horizontal data is not correct and need to do horizontal calibration.

1. 1.01

2. No. When I checked the app reported that I was up to date.

4. Good to know, although my tilt back has often happened at close to or at 0 mph

5. I did recalibrate, so maybe I have a lose connection. How do I fix this?

23 minutes ago, Micheal Shen said:

Sorry for this inconvenience, our engineer carelessly uploaded V1.03 test firmware (for Kuji to test extremely quickly accelerate and decelerate), now we received it was more stable during that test from Kuji.

Please send email to support@szkingsong.com, and we will help you to upgrade firmware to V1.01.

Thanks so much for helping me. I just sent you an email.

1 hour ago, Micheal Shen said:

1. Firmware version?

@Micheal Shen

First off I hate the spelling of your first name (the E and A are reversed from my name which I spell Michael -  making it hard to type for me  ;-) )

1. My Firmware is V1.01

2. I tried to upgrade on July 26th, but was told I was at the current firmware already - so no upgrade occurred. 

3. I've only seen this occur at slow/walking type pace or even close to zero myself, it's occurred for me 4 times so far.  So far only going straight.  Twice on starts, once on going up hill at less than 5 mph.  Once on a flat and level road, though I may have hit a bump, at a walking pace.   In all cases so far  it resolved after a few seconds.  When it occurs the peddles tilting back roughly 15 degrees or so.  In all cases the battery was charged above 75%.

4. I have an iPhone, the speed setting are changeable once you log out and log back in.  However there remains some usual behavior from time to time ( https://youtu.be/HFFuGB0btXk
 ). On the advice of US69, I've set mine to 0,0,23, 24 mph - and have not yet recreated (which may mean nothing as the 4 occurrences occurred over about 40 miles of use).

5.  I've horizontally calibrate the EUC now twice.    The Peddles do not feel loose to me.

6.  This rider weighs 220 pounds plus gear. 

Edited by Mike Paolini
  • Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, BleepBloopBlop said:

Second day ever of riding an EUC update:

Well guys I'm experiencing numbness in my feet as reported earlier in this thread... Something must be wrong with the wheel... Couldn't be that I did 64 miles today!!! If @Jason McNeil would get me a fast charger I'm confident I could knock off a hundred miles in a day easily. I dropped the wheel for the first time today. Had a jogger jump out in front of me with an abrupt turn across my path. Luckily I was able to get fully on the brakes and essentially caught the guy while jumping off the wheel. No scraps on either of us, just the wheel. Guess its a good lesson to give people around you lots of space. I was able to hit the tiltback at 50km/h early in the day. Its pretty interesting at speed, but not scary really. I ended up riding the beeps and tilt back at the end of my ride tonight at an indicated 65ish volts while moving at ~35-40km/h. Overall I'm very satisfied with my purchase and intend to keep racking up miles my first week on a EUC. I've covered most of Portland at this point. Lots of exposure and interest from people I've run into in what the hell I'm riding and where to get one. I have a feeling these will be all over in my area shortly. 

20190731_195134.jpg

OK, how about a picture of you and the wheel instead of your feet? :)

4 minutes ago, BleepBloopBlop said:

Here is the best I'll do for tonight hahaha. The shirt gets almost as many comments as the unicycle :)

20190731_211100.jpg

Fantastic. Now we have a face to associate with the skilled madman ;)

7 minutes ago, BleepBloopBlop said:

Here is the best I'll do for tonight hahaha. The shirt gets almost as many comments as the unicycle :)

20190731_211100.jpg

My brother used to be friends with Courtney. Well, as much a friend as you can be without being a fruitbat yourself.

At one point, as she was packing to move from LA to NYC, she handed him a sheet of paper torn from a notebook. It was Kurt's original draft of "Smells Like Teen Spirit".

He had to dump her though because she'd send him long, rambling, insane text messages all the time.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jon Stern said:

1. 1.01

2. No. When I checked the app reported that I was up to date.

4. Good to know, although my tilt back has often happened at close to or at 0 mph

5. I did recalibrate, so maybe I have a lose connection. How do I fix this?

Okay, please keep in mind that better not use hand to balance the EUC when do horizontal calibration.

Can u send email to support@szkingsong.com? I will send steps to you.

9 minutes ago, BleepBloopBlop said:

First to 1000 miles on the 16X wins a prize right!?!

Be careful. I know you're new to all this and don't yet know the various subtleties. For example, when you buy a new car it's recommended not to exceed certain speeds until X number of miles.

Well, for our wheels it's recommended not to fully charge the batteries more than once a day for the first ~1000-miles. It has to do with a break-in period of our large battery packs and the amount of current being drawn. Generally only for the performance wheels like the 16X.

@meepmeepmayer can back me up on this.

I kid, I kid  :-)

Edited by Marty Backe
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Micheal Shen said:

Okay, please keep in mind that better not use hand to balance the EUC when do horizontal calibration.

Can u send email to support@szkingsong.com? I will send steps to you.

E-mail sent!

p.s. I calibrated with the wheel standing vertically and level on the shipping foam which makes a decent stand.

Edited by Jon Stern
  • Upvote 1

@Marty Backe For my electric vehicles I try not to fully charge the pack very often as it reduces the cycle life. Some BMS units are setup to only balance the cells when charged to a full 4.2 volts so that's important to keep in mind. Since I dont have access to the voltage of each parallel cell group its really hard to say what is going on in there. I'll typically only charge the wheel to 82v (4.1v per cell). Every 10th charge I'll take the wheel all the way up to 84V in hopes this will keep the cells groups balanced.

Edited by BleepBloopBlop
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, BleepBloopBlop said:

@Marty Backe For my electric vehicles I try not to fully charge the pack very often as it reduces the cycle life. Some BMS units are setup to only balance the cells when charged to a full 4.2 volts so that's important to keep in mind. Since I dont have access to the voltage of each parallel cell group its really hard to say what is going on in there. I'll typically only charge the wheel to 82v (4.1v per cell). Every 10th charge I'll take the wheel all the way up to 84V in hopes this will keep the cells groups balanced.

Look very closely at my comments - hint, I was trying to keep you from winning the prize :D

Edited by Marty Backe
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Yes, you absolutely must ride defensively around cars and people. Expect them to do exactly what you don't want them to do an any given moment.

I always give people a wide berth or if that's not possible slow to a speed that neither of use would get hurt if they turned into me (usually that means slightly faster than their walking speed).

And please, assume that all children will act completely irrational even if looking directly at you. I've had children stop, look at me approaching, and at the very last second make a dash to cross my path.

Hell, I've even had old people apparently stare towards me for a few seconds and then proceed to turn and walk right in front of me. I have to assume that they were looking behind me and didn't see the object (me) fast approaching.

It's a wild west out there :cry2:

I've faceplanted a toddler when I first started riding back in 2015. He ran out of the store in a bolt right in front of me. That taught me not to ride so close to business doors, go slower, and ride towards the edge of the sidewalk if I must ride on it.

It was some Hispanic kid, father nearby and also mom. Kid was fine.. I made sure.. but then I was about to leave, and some other dude said, "I think the mom is calling the cops.. don't you want to stay?" ... I'm like.. no... 

Edited by TedTheAtheist
  • Like 2