KingSong 16X 1554Wh 2200W 16*3in (Released July 2019)

Jean eRide.ie Community

50 minutes ago, Nathan Gosamo said:

This thread has got me really worried, should I just cancel my order and get something else ? I really can't afford to waste 2k

Once the firmware and app fix are out, this will be a great wheel. EUCs have teething problems but always end up being awesome in the end. No worries:)

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RoadRunner said:

I did a 60km ride today and experienced the same tire gyro effect, don’t like it.

@eddiemoy @houseofjob what tire was on the pre production model.

Side by side pic with the XL

89ACFC0E-CA42-404A-BF83-9ACDF0EA6A67.thumb.jpeg.9253766ecaae8256359649a8d04b0781.jpeg

@houseofjob still has the tire.  I think he mention it is a nameless brand.  There was a center channel with no tread to it.  

Spoiler
24 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

This one below is the preprod 16X tire

But quite honestly, to me personally, it doesn't hold a candle to the Nikola stock tire in terms of shock absorption.

The below CYT is ver much like the Kenda's they've been putting on the 18XL I believe, just ok, nothing special.

lMNS2Os.jpg2fL5P1G.jpgI2k7ETq.jpgR9eBp5V.jpgfsCmZpq.jpg

@eddiemoy

1 hour ago, Rywokast said:

hmm, aren't you leaning to turn O.o I haven't ever ridden the z10 no, I have no interest in that.. I have never tried riding anything below 40 psi.. personally I don't want more stability.. to me the 2.125 tires on the tesla and gt16 for example feel perfectly stable at 45+ kmph and 50 PSI.. only time I felt any sort of gyro effect was on the mten3 funny enough, such a tiny wheel but the wide and flat tire really fights you.. I also hate that feeling.. from what I've seen of the nikola it doesn't feel like that at all.. we'll see whenever mine gets here but I'd swap out the tire if it did

I like the wheels that lean left to go left, lean right to go right.  These tricky gyro wheel are different.  You have to lean diagonally to turn at high speeds and you have to way out there and committed to fight the gyro.  If you just lean side to side, the body of the EUC wants to stay up and you don't really turn.  You can literally hang off the wheel to the side and it would still stay up if you are going past the lean to turn speed.  

funny thing is with these gyro effect wheels, there is a speed at which you can stay under and it will behave like a regular wheel, above that speed and you need to change the way you lean.  I hate that.  I want consistency.  This is kind of like a motorcycle.  below 10 mph, you can just turn the handlebar to turn, if you going faster than that you cannot turn the handlebar, you have to counter steer.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Daniel-Son said:

I went for a quick ride with tire set at 43 psi. Making sharp turn is a delight but, trying to stay straight is a hard task. It’s stay straight for 10 - 30 feet and then it want to swerve and I have to fight it back on line. Turning at speed feel like it wants to buckle and at the same time erect itself. Weird. If next weeks update doesn’t smooth out this feeling, I’m going to suspect it’s a defective gyro. 

Also note: I’m running V1.01 I didn’t want to update to V1.02 until I knew it was ok. V1.02 say “test 16X’. Some have already done this update. Maybe I’ll try to it tomorrow. 

The gyro effect takes hold at a certain speed X, if you are below that speed, you can turn like any old EUC with a thinner tire by leaning left and right.  Above that speed and the body just wants to stay up and you need a new leaning method to get the wheel to turn.  It is similar to a motorcycle like i mention in the post above.  

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

But quite honestly, to me personally, it doesn't hold a candle to the Nikola stock tire in terms of shock absorption.

The below CYT is ver much like the Kenda's they've been putting on the 18XL I believe, just ok, nothing special.

Couldn’t one just swap the 16X tire with the same one the Nikola uses? They’re both the same size I assume

40 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

which tire is which?  

3 minutes ago, Ben Kim said:

Couldn’t one just swap the 16X tire with the same one the Nikola uses? They’re both the same size I assume

Yes, it's just a matter of the shell clearance, both on the sides and top. But KS doesn't go super close to the tire clearance like an InMotion does, so it *should* be an easy swap 

4 minutes ago, eddiemoy said:

which tire is which?  

That post is all the markings of the preproduction CYT tire.

1 minute ago, houseofjob said:

Yes, it's just a matter of the shell clearance, both on the sides and top. But KS doesn't go super close to the tire clearance like an InMotion does, so it *should* be an easy swap 

That post is all the markings of the preproduction CYT tire.

wonder why they said they were changing to CYT when it was already CYT.  I rather have CYT than the crap that is on the production wheel.

2 minutes ago, Daniel-Son said:

The valve stem is in the correct position but the tire rotation is pointing in the wrong direction. I’m not sure if that’s gonna make a difference in feel but I’m wondering. 

i doubt it.. my first 16S the tire rotation was in the wrong direction.. i had like 3k km on that never noticed any difference

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Daniel-Son said:

The valve stem is in the correct position but the tire rotation is pointing in the wrong direction. I’m not sure if that’s gonna make a difference in feel but I’m wondering. 

you are not going fast enough for the tire rotation to matter.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Rywokast said:

i doubt it.. my first 16S the tire rotation was in the wrong direction.. i had like 3k km on that never noticed any difference

1 minute ago, eddiemoy said:

you are not going fast enough for the tire rotation to matter.

Ok thanks, that’s what I thought but wasn’t sure. 

9 hours ago, Daniel-Son said:

I weigh 215 and I’m 6’2”. I haven’t had the chance to dial in my psi yet because of the rain. I may need to ride more so a can adjust to this wheel. But it’s my honest first impression and I’m not going to sugar coat it.  It all part of being a first adaptor..

I'm 220 and ride at 40 PSI

1 minute ago, Mike Paolini said:

I'm 220 and ride at 40 PSI

It’s really interesting how we are all different and all over the place on this tire pressure stuff. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Patton250 said:

It’s really interesting how we are all different and all over the place on this tire pressure stuff. 

Yup, which is why it always strikes me as odd ppl trade PSI numbers, as if these numbers were hard set to universal levels of comfort for all riders, which IMHO simply isn't true.

Tire PSI wildly varies IMHO, according to: tire type/ composition (thus tire PSI ratings), rider payload, and personal comfort preference.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, eddiemoy said:

stay under and it will behave like a regular wheel, above that speed and you need to change the way you lean. 

Seems safer to me (I've never ridden one yet) in the sense that it would keep you from wrecking by suddenly being able to jerk left or right at high speed.

17 minutes ago, CampDylan said:

Seems safer to me (I've never ridden one yet) in the sense that it would keep you from wrecking by suddenly being able to jerk left or right at high speed.

I rather be in control of the wheel.  What you seem to be describing is if you are inept you want the wheel to save you by staying the course.  If you want to avoid sudden movements at higher speeds, lower the tire pressure.  It gives you more control of the wheel.  There are many more cases where you need to suddenly move left or right to avoid obstacles.  Or to turn sharply at high speeds.  I've not yet been able to do the same level of turning with the 16X and these gyro inducing tires.

• Upvote 1