THE VIDEO THREAD!

dpong

6 hours ago, Trevor Phillips said:

Can you ride a Gotway Mten3 with a seat?

the answer is yes!

49332933126_5ab48d5e32_b.jpg

Nice but my hemorrhoids as yelling “don’t you dare!” ;)

• Like 3

The Oculus Quest is a good VR setup if you don't want to go too high end, (around $399) it doesn't need a powerful PC, all self contained with pretty good performance, but the Valve Index is about the best on the market currently if you want a true room-scale VR experience If you can drop a cool grand on it. For enthusiasts like myself it's worth it, but it isn't for everyone.

I'd steer clear of the Vive, I have one and it's been upgraded with the 'pro' version, but the Index is still far superior. VR has finally started to come out of the early crappy period and mature into some amazing experiences. Google Earth in VR is incredible.

Google cardboard is a neat toy, while a true VR headset puts you 'there' with full 6 degrees of motion, haptic feedback, individual finger tracking and 3d positional audio. There is no comparison @Marty Backe If you're interested and a little disorientated over all the various options, try watching some of Mike's videos 'VR Oasis' on youtube.

Don't listen to luddites claiming VR is 'strapping a screen to your face', it's very cool. Watching movies in 3d or videos like yours is just the start.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Hatchet said:

I'd steer clear of the Vive, I have one and it's been upgraded with the 'pro' version, but the Index is still far superior.

I haven't really been following VR technology since I helped the Scientist set up his VR system a couple of years ago. Back then the Vive was the best option.

He uses it to visualise the high-res X-ray models that he produces. Because I helped him set it up, he lets me use it. I play Skyrim VR occaisionally when I can sneak a couple of hours. I also sometimes bring my daughters in on a weekend to spin their little heads. "When are we going to do the headset again Dad?"

Looks like you're up to speed @Hatchet. Linus would agree with you on the Valve index.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hatchet said:

The Oculus Quest is a good VR setup if you don't want to go too high end, (around $399) it doesn't need a powerful PC, all self contained with pretty good performance, but the Valve Index is about the best on the market currently if you want a true room-scale VR experience If you can drop a cool grand on it. For enthusiasts like myself it's worth it, but it isn't for everyone.

I'd steer clear of the Vive, I have one and it's been upgraded with the 'pro' version, but the Index is still far superior. VR has finally started to come out of the early crappy period and mature into some amazing experiences. Google Earth in VR is incredible.

Google cardboard is a neat toy, while a true VR headset puts you 'there' with full 6 degrees of motion, haptic feedback, individual finger tracking and 3d positional audio. There is no comparison @Marty Backe If you're interested and a little disorientated over all the various options, try watching some of Mike's videos 'VR Oasis' on youtube.

Don't listen to luddites claiming VR is 'strapping a screen to your face', it's very cool. Watching movies in 3d or videos like yours is just the start.

I certainly assume that all the VR sets you mentioned are much better than Cardboard. But if my primary use case (for now) is viewing 360 YouTube videos, the 6-degrees of motion doesn't come into play, right?

Thanks for the notes - I'm going to take a look at the Valve.

1 hour ago, Aneta said:

What's the best headset for just watching 360 videos? (Not interested in playing games or other VR stuff.)

Maybe Oculus Go

Also @Marty Backe, if you are not into high end gaming, go for Oculus Quest or Go. You don’t want to be strapped on a high end PC all the time. 

• Like 2

Quickly cut together a lil terrible video showcasing the sound of my KS-18XL 2000w legacy motor ting, with the new sound after the 2.0 update. I have to say, i'm surprised. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aneta said:

What's the best headset for just watching 360 videos? (Not interested in playing games or other VR stuff.)

I'd personally go for the Quest (I own one and its fantastic) over the Go. It has a much nicer display, being OLED over the LCD of the Go. Plus, if you ever did change your mind, the Quest is not only a capable little device, but can be plugged into a PC and used as a full VR headset. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Retrovertigo said:

I'd personally go for the Quest (I own one and its fantastic) over the Go. It has a much nicer display, being OLED over the LCD of the Go. Plus, if you ever did change your mind, the Quest is not only a capable little device, but can be plugged into a PC and used as a full VR headset. 

Yeah i'll just comment once more on it so as not to derail the thread, but the Quest is an excellent option, you can take it with you and share with friends, no PC required, but can now be connected to one if you want that. It's pretty great.

Also, just like EUCs, once you get a taste of real VR, you want more, it's quite incredible for chatting etc online with avatars, playing with friends, etc. Much more than gaming.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Flyboy10 said:

Here is the same type of video but with a 2200w convert with the v2.00 firmware. My video compares the whine of the 2000w v1.13, 2200w v1.00, and 2200w v2.00 variations.

Its crazy that they were able to do this, but here we are, haha. Nuts. Btw, may i ask, at that speed you were going. You dont have any trouble with road imperfections? In the start, the road you were tackling wasnt exactly smooth, and we dont have that chunky msx tire.