WaveCut

4 minutes ago, Senior Coffee said:

If anybody else has had this happen and has any idea what it may be please let me know. I did not have a chance to react to the fall so I fell quite hard. Usually I can roll myself out of it but I didn't even see this coming.  I'll give it another go tomorrow.

Ouch. 😨 I hope you are ok. Anyway, it sounds like a firmware issue to me... 

8 hours ago, Jpd said:

I think I agree. The more I ride this wheel the more it impresses me. I think INMOTION has a big hit on they’re hands. I would still like to have this wheel without suspension as well. Imagine this wheel 10 lbs lighter and 200dlls cheaper. 

I'd also be more interested in the wheel without the suspension. I'd prefer it if they could lose the turret that sits on top of the wheel and move the motherboard into the space vacated by the suspension. I'd be quite happy with decent LED front and rear lighting perhaps incorporated into kuji pads that also protected the wheel in a fall - it's great that they've produced decent lighting on the V11 but I just don't like the look of the turret and I'd worry about it in a crash. Hopefully all this would make the wheel lighter, more robust and cheaper. It would also be nice if the pedal height was adjustable.

• Like 1

The suspension and the lights are two major selling points of the V11 and appeal to more than the few that would rather not have them. 

Not that I don't understand the points made. I think it speaks to how impressed people are with the build quality and motor of this wheel that they see the other features as extra. Now if they only made a wheel, suspension or not, competitive at speed with Gotway :whistling:

• Like 3

2 hours ago, mike_bike_kite said:

I'd also be more interested in the wheel without the suspension. I'd prefer it if they could lose the turret that sits on top of the wheel and move the motherboard into the space vacated by the suspension. I'd be quite happy with decent LED front and rear lighting perhaps incorporated into kuji pads that also protected the wheel in a fall - it's great that they've produced decent lighting on the V11 but I just don't like the look of the turret and I'd worry about it in a crash. Hopefully all this would make the wheel lighter, more robust and cheaper. It would also be nice if the pedal height was adjustable.

I’ve mentioned this to INMOTION, hopefully they will consider. It shouldn’t be much redesign not much would have to change. 

Has anyone overheated the v11 yet or know at what temp it overheats? I was riding some steep hills today and managed to get the temp up to 179 degrees, which is more than the standard overheat of 80c (176 degrees)

Edited by Jpd

@Jpd, how do you feel the V11 does with cooling? That seems pretty hot but I'm used to seeing low temps that may not be accurate as reported by my gotway mcm5. 

I'm surprised it didn't do an over heat tiltback at over 80c. 

1 minute ago, Flying W said:

@Jpd, how do you feel the V11 does with cooling? That seems pretty hot but I'm used to seeing low temps that may not be accurate as reported by my gotway mcm5. 

I'm surprised it didn't do an over heat tiltback at over 80c. 

It seems to cool down quickly once I stop riding. It would drop 10 degrees in a couple seconds. 
i was expecting a tilt back or a warning of some sort, but nothing and I didn’t really want to keep pushing to find out.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Jpd said:

Has anyone overheated the v11 yet or know at what temp it overheats? I was riding some steep hills today and managed to get the temp up to 179 degrees, which is more than the standard overheat of 80c (176 degrees)

Sound concerning only if you plan to do your local overheat Hill. Should keep an eye on it if you gonna attempt it. 

Oh, do you notice any fan noise…? Does the fan rev up higher when it gets hot, I'll be very concerned if that doesn't happen. 

Edited by onizukagto

Remember that different brands (and sometimes different models from the same brand) locate their temperature sensors in drastically different places, meaning that you can't meaningfully compare temperature readings from one brand to another or even in some cases from one model to another.

Edited by AtlasP
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, onizukagto said:

Sound concerning only if you plan to do your local overheat Hill. Should keep an eye on it if you gonna attempt it. 

Oh, do you notice any fan noise…? Does the fan rev up higher when it gets hot, I'll be very concerned if that doesn't happen. 

I don't believe the fan on the V11 has anything to do with cooling internal components.  I'm pretty sure it's only designed to cool the light when it's operating.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mike Dobbs said:

I don't believe the fan on the V11 has anything to do with cooling internal components.  I'm pretty sure it's only designed to cool the light when it's operating.

I think you might be right, I didn’t hear a fan at all. The fan on the headlight is loud and you definitely know when it’s on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mike Dobbs said:

From how they describe & depict the air flow .. I thought it does.

V11 Air Flow

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, IamIan said:

From how they describe & depict the air flow .. I thought it does.

V11 Air Flow

Hmmm- yeah, that certainly does seem to indicate that the fan is designed to increase air flow over the controller housing.  I guess I thought it was just for the headlight since the pre-production model just had the fan turn on anytime the headlight was on.

• Like 1

Just curious pondering ..

I've read allot about how people 'feel' a wheel does on acceleration , hill climbing , etc ... all of those things seem just like a function of F=MA .. weight (Wheel+Rider) and wheel torque .. and if that's the case .. we don't have to be subjective 'feel' about it .. we should be able to just objectively measure and give a number for each wheel .. Larger diameter or smaller diameter wheel is just like different gears for the same engine (a larger diameter wheel trades some torque for more RPM) .. weight is easy .. torque we can estimate from watts .. but instead of estimating , we can also measure it directly .. in cars they'd put it on a dyno (engine , wheel , or rolling road) , and get a power/torque/speed curve .. I guess technically we could still do that with a EUC .. but given the EUC's smaller size , a full dyno seems kind of like overkill .. I wonder if there is a reasonable way to scale down that same kind of test to EUC size (but still keep the quantified objective measurement of the test) ?

Never mind .. old thought.

Edited by IamIan
already a thread

22 minutes ago, IamIan said:

Just curious pondering ..

I've read allot about how people 'feel' a wheel does on acceleration , hill climbing , etc ... all of those things seem just like a function of F=MA .. weight (Wheel+Rider) and wheel torque .. and if that's the case .. we don't have to be subjective 'feel' about it .. we should be able to just objectively measure and give a number for each wheel .. Larger diameter or smaller diameter wheel is just like different gears for the same engine (a larger diameter wheel trades some torque for more RPM) .. weight is easy .. torque we can estimate from watts .. but instead of estimating , we can also measure it directly .. in cars they'd put it on a dyno (engine , wheel , or rolling road) , and get a power/torque/speed curve .. I guess technically we could still do that with a EUC .. but given the EUC's smaller size , a full dyno seems kind of like overkill .. I wonder if there is a reasonable way to scale down that same kind of test to EUC size (but still keep the quantified objective measurement of the test) ?

You have other variables. Different tyres have noticeably different properties. Where exactly are the pedals w.r.t. axle is important. Center of gravity of the wheel is too. Size of the pedals is important (how far forward you can move the point of contact). How well can you grab the wheel with your legs is important. Just some things from the hardware that you have to take into an account.

And then there is the software side, which can do a lot. For example, how does the firmware reacts to spikes of various sizes? How hard it tries to keep the pedals flat? Is the pedal dip linear or progressive? Etc. etc. So there are dozens of factors and some play together with other factors, while some play against...

It probably could be written all down, but every rider has a different style, body, stance, and those join all the other factors, so at the end you are left with some educated guess works about generic properties (bigger wheel will always behave in a certain way), with a lot of feel for the small details. Even two cars with similar power and in the same category will feel vastly different.

EDIT: TL;DR It's not just about whether it has the power (that's the part you can guess pretty well) but how comfortable/natural it is to tell the wheel what it should do. 

Edited by Zopper
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Senior Coffee said:

One of the first things I checked when it happened was the temperature of the wheel. According to the app it was 40° Celsius.  The hill was 7.4 degrees angle of slope.  This was literally the first ride and I was in the first 5 miles on the wheel.  I had been taking it easy on the wheel before the incident because I was still getting used to it.  I was only going about 7 miles per hour up that hill.  For the people that are wondering I do wear all of my gear every ride. If it wasn't for wearing the gear I would have been hurt a lot worse.

The thought might be how bad can you be hurt going 7 miles per hour.  It was literally completely unexpected and almost a flat face plant. I had just enough time to roll to the side and my shoulder took most of the fall.  I will be practicing my rolls so that it becomes second nature and I'll be able to react faster if it ever happens again.

IMG_20200719_064642.jpg

Screenshot_20200719-062607.png

Maybe bad battery balancing?   Does the battery show 100% after taking it off the charger?