WaveCut

26 minutes ago, UniVehje said:

Sure there are many scenarios where this feature could be useful. But these are really extreme rare in real life.

1 minute ago, mrelwood said:

Sustained/average 1000W would be pretty crazy. I don’t know how anyone could achieve that, other than on a hill that takes an hour to ride up.

Yup, I agree. I just wanted to give a specific example where it would be useful. But I agree that in reality it's a rare case.

4 hours ago, mrelwood said:

Sustained/average 1000W would be pretty crazy. I don’t know how anyone could achieve that, other than on a hill that takes an hour to ride up.

4 hours ago, Zopper said:

in reality it's a rare case.

I disagree.

Cruising at 30+mph is >1kW.

As a fun challenge- try to complete a 30 mile route on level ground in 1 hour.
I think you'll find it is not possible with less than 2000wh; and certainly not possible in 1hr with charging stops.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, RagingGrandpa said:

I disagree.

I think you'll find it is not possible with less than 2000wh; and certainly not possible in 1hr with charging stops.

Exactly! My estimations for 30 mph (48 km/h) are ~1,3kW - without accelerations/inclines/power for balancing.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, RagingGrandpa said:

I disagree.

Can be. My current V10 can't even go that fast. :P

11 hours ago, Seba said:

I plan to write an article in next few days about my long-distance V11 test. In general I can say that V11 can compete with the XL as a long-distance wheel. The V11 has about 20% less range than the XL and in general XL handling is better due to lower pedal height and narrower tire. But with its wider tire and suspension, V11 can in general handle uneven terrain, roots and rocks better. It also has a much better lamp. While there are some drawbacks associated with higher pedal clearance in V11, it helps to avoid hitting some obstacles like roots, stones etc. V11 also behaves differently in low-battery mode, so it's something to get used to.

What surprised me was that riding the V11 was no less tiring than riding the XL. I didn't notice any difference in this respect. More, the foot pain was a little bit greater with the V11. This however may be explained by the fact that the pedals on the V11 are angled, while on the XL they are horizontal. So it is rather a matter of getting used to it. Anyway, not a big difference. XL seems more stable, while V11 seems to me slightly nervous. Again, I contribute it to wider tire and higher pedals. V11 turns much tighter at low speed that XL.

Of course the XL is a mature wheel, proven in battle. The V11 is still a novelty, so its longevity and reliability in the long run is a big unknown. We will be able to discuss this not earlier than next year. Definitely there are no winner in "V11 vs XL as a long-distance, touring wheel" contest. Both wheels have their "pros and cons" and overall result is that both are great.

Is there a way to address the angle of pedals?  I come from Kingsong wheel (flat) and I’ve never understood the angle thing...I ride with the wheel floating between my legs so I don’t need the angle. Perhaps to get a little more clearance on turns?  Regardless I am a fan of flat pedals and if there is a way to change that (MTen3 you can file down the metal crease to allow the pedal to be less angled) that would be awesome. 

THANK YOU!

Edited by EUChristian
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, EUChristian said:

Is there a way to address the angle of pedals?  I come from Kingsong wheel (flat) and I’ve never understood the angle thing...I ride with the wheel floating between my legs so I don’t need the angle. Perhaps to get a little more clearance on turns?  Regardless I am a fan of flat pedals and if there is a way to change that (MTen3 you can file down the metal crease to allow the pedal to be less angled) that would be awesome. 

THANK YOU!

I know what you mean. I am not a fan of high angled pedals either. 

The KS16X pedal angel has been really great imo. The V11 is just a little bit more angled. I am very sensitive to this because I easy get inflamed joints when stressing/overloading these (my medical issues). 

But I am sure the angle of the V11 is perfect nevertheless. I made a post in my review thread on my tour to IKEA the other day. The pedal angle helped out a lot in this situation ("high" speed turning and then a drop in road elevation like going down from a yard long speed bump that compressed the suspension while turning by leaning maybe 20 degrees).

I am developing a new feet stand that helps me out to have the wheel floating between my legs eith out the need of pads. Right now it feels like extreme duck feet because it is more that I did on my KS16X.  But this new stance is so much more beneficial in maintaining control and it helps me to dampen any wobble fast too once me feets and legs get tired (another side effect I am battling of my medical conditions).

I will made some sort of vlog about this. Once weather improves. I know we all have different preferences and styles and how we use our wheels. 

But this is clearly a next level wheel to me. And I mean that in any positive way I say. Yes there are pros and cons. 

But right now I can only see season weather (winter/slippery leaves/ice/snow) that would make me ride my old wheels or a breakdown/puncture of the V11. 

It is already after 200km by far my main goto wheel if my 4 wheels. Even if I have to carry it a few stairs. 

I do know where @Seba is comming from with his post above of his long multi day tours. But I would any day pick the V11. The KS18L/XL might feel more stable. But I really think the nimble slow walk speed and the slight gyro feel of 30kmh+ speed makes the V11 superior. The ride to IKEA described here is just an example of this. 

But again personal preference. I hope I can get this vlog done soon (in 1 or 2 weeks) then I think I might be able to explain why I am so fund of the V11 already. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Unventor said:

I totally agree with you and the rest of your post. 

Another this that is comming is the hex design pedals option. We have not seen these yet in a final version. Pictures just show a 1 off interest prototype test. 

You both are awesome!  Great encouragement!  I will hold off changing the angle for a break in period. I wonder if the hex design pedal will allow for a flatter pedal...if so I will pick up immediately. If the design is close to other wheels filing down the bottom ridge of the pedal will alter the angle. 

Then you get to play the “get the angle of each pedal to match” game - ok this pedal is a little lower...uh oh now this one is a little lower...anybody doing this remember remove a little at a time!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, EUChristian said:

You both are awesome!  Great encouragement!  I will hold off changing the angle for a break in period. I wonder if the hex design pedal will allow for a flatter pedal...if so I will pick up immediately. If the design is close to other wheels filing down the bottom ridge of the pedal will alter the angle. 

Then you get to play the “get the angle of each pedal to match” game - ok this pedal is a little lower...uh oh now this one is a little lower...anybody doing this remember remove a little at a time!

if I can't access the camera equipment I wanted to use, for vlogging I will get something else. I am going to explain this on standstill as it is easier to do controlled I think.due to my medical issues I can sense very fast if I am not standing right on the pedals. 

Every wheel I had I have changes feetplacement for different reasons. But the V11 reassemble my KS16X compared to my other wheels. There are 3 slight differences though. The V11 have slight higher angled pedals, they are higher especially to step up on, but also while riding, and might seem only a bit but the wheel housing is much slimmer.. This last part I thinkis much more important now than in the begining.

I really would think twice and then another time before modding this. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ben Kim said:

the purpose of angled pedals is to mitigate pedal clipping; also it makes carving much more pleasant. 

I’ll agree to disagree. It makes carving much more twitchy, and if you would like to term that as pleasant, so be it.  I’ve clipped my flat pedals KS16 hundreds of times and only a handful of them resulted in falls and all of those falls were due to my own stupidity.  Perhaps some of those would not have happened with angled pedals, but the trade off to being forced to clench a wheel between my legs and the associate pain isn’t worth it. 

Completely subjective and I’m sure part of it is which style you started with.  I’ve ridden angled pedals and I find them absurd <——my subjective opinion. 

I will listen to these learned gents and try to get used to it though. 

Edited by EUChristian

I think you'll find it is not possible

I think I’d find that it’s practically not possible, perioid. I guess one could leave the city and choose a road with as little disturbances as possible, but in the rural area where I live, an average of just 20mph for an hour would require quite a bit of senselessly reckless riding.

I’ve ridden angled pedals and I find them absurd

I don’t think you need to worry. Every single EUC has some angle on the pedals, and the exact amount of angle is unique to almost every wheel. 16S for example has a decent amount of angle already.

The width and side profile of the wheel also affect the angle that your feet sense in relation to your legs. The angle on the V11 (10•) feels perfect to me, and enables very tight maneuvers. The MSX/P angle (15•) is what’s ridiculous.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Ben Kim said:

my first wheel was a Kingsong 18S, that had flatter than flat pedals. Then I got a Nikola (decent angle) and Monster (very minimal angle) and adjusted to them. Now I own an MCM5 (decent angle) and Sherman (very minimal angle) and can ride them just fine. Honestly, if you can ride one wheel you can ride them all. Adjust your stance to best suit the angle offered and make the most of it. 

This is simple and absolute bollocks. I bought and have put going on 1k miles on my 100v Nikola+, and to this day I still absolutely hate the severe pedal angle which still limits how many miles I can ride it before it causes me pain, compared to InMotion and later King Song wheels with flatter pedals which I find infinitely more comfortable and can ride for way more miles at once. I have kept pushing through with the original Nik+ pedals because everyone parrots the same nonsense about "getting used to it", and its all just completely bollocks. There must be physiological factors at play which vary person to person and which have absolutely nothing to do with technique (in 1k miles I've tried them all) or "getting used to it".

Edited by AtlasP
  • Like 2

I've got the 16x which i love the angles of the pedals then i bought Nikola+ pedals for the msx which give it even more angle than the standard ,,,, absolutely love em ,, great for control and carving , and keep you locked in for carving or hitting bumps I'm also glad the V11 pedals are angled ,i much prefer than flat pedals

It always seemed weird to me that pedal attachments weren't standard across manufacturers and that pedals could then be bought separately that both matched your feet and preferred angle. If angles were adjustable then people could adjust to suit. If your paying this kind of money for a wheel then you kind of want it to fit. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, AtlasP said:

This is simple and absolute bollocks. I bought and have put going on 1k miles on my 100v Nikola+, and to this day I still absolutely hate the severe pedal angle which still limits how many miles I can ride it before it causes me pain, compared to InMotion and later King Song wheels with flatter pedals which I find infinitely more comfortable and can ride for way more miles at once. I have kept pushing through with the original Nik+ pedals because everyone parrots the same nonsense about "getting used to it", and its all just completely bollocks. There must be physiological factors at play which vary person to person and which have absolutely nothing to do with technique (in 1k miles I've tried them all) or "getting used to it".

Don't we have to acknowledge that we're all different? I can ride 50-miles with the severe angle on the the MSX/MSP pedals. Yet for other people they can't ride 5-miles, so they modify the pedals.

So you are correct and so is @Ben Kim.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Vagrant Sneaker said:

Yesterday I realized that you cant turn on the light from the app or use the horn to honk at people while riding. Is this normal?   

Depends what app you are using. The Inmotion app can engage the string light by swiping if you have day light running on (DLR) on. If it is off I have not tested this. 

As of the horn it depends of the system volume you set. 

Me being tired yet can't sleep (2:20am my time) I can't recall which activates when swiping up or down. 

In EUC.WORLD you have similar function if you set it up. But here it is my tapping or double tapping or using flic buttons or smartwatch as source. Here you can use internal wheel horn. Or by BTspeaker a app bell or custom sound of your own choosing. 

As of wheelog I don't use this, same goes for DarknessBot as I don't have Apple phones.