WARNING: Gotway Nikola production (assembly) issue [Solved]

4 hours ago, Arbolest said:

Also, from the way it appears in the photo it seemsĀ like it might have actually come OUTĀ of the packages of the blown MOSFETs, which means it almost certainly happened post-failure

Would be my best guess to. A bit could be the "glue" or whatever reflecting the flash, but some pieces definitely look like molten metal. This should come from the ?inside of the mosfets?, the vaporized mosfet leg and some vaporized solder.

So all "post mortem stuff"

4 hours ago, Arbolest said:

That all makes sense to me and tells me why and how the MOSFETs might have failed, but not the underlying reason,

It's overheating by beeing thermaly insulated from the heatsink. @Phil McLaughlin made a nice test series shown in his youtube videos (i put a link to both in the first post of this topic).

Without a proper cooling this Mosfets can just disspate a couple of Watts without melting - while EUC operation they have to disspate more something like 20-30 Watts, maybe even a bit more.

2 hours ago, Planemo said:

I always thought that the casing of the mosfet was a common ground (also linked to the centre pin) so it would make no odds if the metal back came into contact with the heatsink, ground, negative or whatever. Also the reason why the fixing bolt doesnt need to be insulated either.

Thats certainly how I have always wired fets. Maybe GW wire them differently...

The mosfet drain (pin 2) is mostly connected to the metal plate of the mosfet. Since in EUCs the mosfets are used for 3 H-Bridges (for the three motor coils) the drains of the "upper" mosfets are at battery voltage, the drains of the "lower" mosfets are connected to the corresponding motor coil. So different potentials and a massive short if not insulated from the heatsink.

Even if all were at battery voltage one would want to insulate the 100V(84V,67.2V) from the heatsink....

Edited by Chriull
  • Upvote 3

30 minutes ago, Chriull said:

It's overheating by beeing thermaly insulated from the heatsink. @Phil McLaughlin made a nice test series shown in his youtube videos (i put a link to both in the first post of this topic).

Without a proper cooling this Mosfets can just disspate a couple of Watts without melting - while EUC operation they have to disspate more something like 20-30 Watts, maybe even a bit more.

Sorry, maybe I should have clarified here. I know that the MOSFETs on the Nikola boards are failing due to over-heating because of the hot glue used to hold the thermal pads in place during assembly, but what I meant by "the underlying reason" in that postĀ was more like "the root cause of this particular failure". I'm interested in what caused the MOSFETs on this board to blowĀ (which uses the 247 package MOSFETs, unlike the 220s on the other Nikola boards) because based on the poster's description of the incident it doesn't seem like it had anything to do with themĀ overheating. It sounds like one or both of themĀ shorted.

Edited by Arbolest
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Arbolest said:

Sorry, maybe I should have clarified here. I know that the MOSFETs on the Nikola boards are failing due to over-heating because of the hot glue used to hold the thermal pads in place during assembly, but what I meant by "the underlying reason" in that postĀ was more like "the root cause of this particular failure". I'm interested in what caused the MOSFETs on this board to blowĀ (which uses the 247 package MOSFETs, unlike the 220s on the other Nikola boards) because based on the poster's description of the incident it doesn't seem like it had anything to do with themĀ overheating. It sounds like one or both of themĀ shorted.

Ups - sorry too from my side - i did just look at the pictures and not get, that is a new case of a new replacement board....

Maybe one can see something once @Jim Martin posts the pictures of the heatsink and the thermal pads...

Somehow the mosfets have "something" on them - one sees this "pointy pattern" reflecting from the flash, most "again" on the blown mosfets?! - or is this just that the had the best angle for reflecting?

Ā 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Chriull said:

The mosfet drain (pin 2) is mostly connected to the metal plate of the mosfet. Since in EUCs the mosfets are used for 3 H-Bridges (for the three motor coils) the drains of the "upper" mosfets are at battery voltage, the drains of the "lower" mosfets are connected to the corresponding motor coil. So different potentials and a massive short if not insulated from the heatsink.

Even if all were at battery voltage one would want to insulate the 100V(84V,67.2V) from the heatsink....

Thanks for thatĀ explanation, helps a lot.Ā I have never used fets in either the quantities or voltages that eucs work at.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

That really sucks. This highlights the fact that I don't believe Gotway tests the boards in any meaningful way. If they did my fan would be working and your board wouldn't have fried.

Now on the other-hand, boards do fail and have been known to fail when the wheel is first turned on. KingSong, Gotway, Ninebot, etc. It happens. You just got unlucky.

My board didn't even have the jumper wire so no way they could have tested it.Ā  I had to do some research to make sure it needed the jumper wire and had to create my own (as seen in the image).Ā  Well, I will see what Jason says, hopefully he can get me another one to try.Ā  I guess I'm down for a couple more weeks.Ā  I've had this wheel since day 1 and ridden it once :(

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, pico said:

In my daysĀ :roflmao:Ā QC PASSED meant: burn-in at maximum load at maximum operating temperature for 48 hours. Ahhh... progress...:whistling:

QC stickers are meaningless when it comes to Gotway. I'd love to how they test the boards and/or wheels before shipping. I doubt there's anyĀ burn-in involved.

• Like 1

I also sell Rolexes and other hi end watches as a hobby. Rolex (for exemple), tests their watches for 1 (ONE) year each watch before they go to the streets. Then you'll ask me: bu6r Rolex makes very few watches a year, so, they can have a very detailed and afficient QC. And I'll answer, No, they make around 800.000 watches per year.Ā :rolleyes:

4 minutes ago, Eliran said:

I also sell Rolexes and other hi end watches as a hobby. Rolex (for exemple), tests their watches for 1 (ONE) year each watch before they go to the streets. Then you'll ask me: bu6r Rolex makes very few watches a year, so, they can have a very detailed and afficient QC. And I'll answer, No, they make around 800.000 watches per year.Ā :rolleyes:

Ā Rolex makes more watches than anyone else every year. Ā About 1.5 million. ToĀ put that in perspective AP makes 35,000 watches the year. ALS makes 5000. Patek Ā around 75,000.Ā 

21 minutes ago, Patton250 said:

Ā Rolex makes more watches than anyone else every year. Ā About 1.5 million. ToĀ put that in perspective AP makes 35,000 watches the year. ALS makes 5000. Patek Ā around 75,000.Ā 

Perfect.Ā  So, I think we have other things in commom ,:)

Edited by Eliran
One lacking word
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Arbolest said:

Ā 

I was examiningĀ the high resolution versions of the photos and noticed some weird silvery stuff around the left two MOSFETs on the upper row in the first picture.Ā 

Well spotted my vote is glue reflecting light as mentioned above byĀ  @Chriull

But since you forced me to examine the picture more closely, it does look like all of them have some amount of this woven pattern effect; but none as much as on the two blown fets.Ā  It might just be possible that the heat caused the transfer of material (more where hottest) rather than the other way round as we are speculating. And the materiel is simply the insulation sheet partly decomposing from being outside its design temperature range.

Edited by Smoother
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Rywokast said:

what in the F#CK!?!??!!! why is it missing screws? did you remove those?? are you planning to take it apart and inspect it? this is extremely disappointing........

eehm... my guess is that the big brown capacitor made the short directly on the pins of the mosfets. The capacitor is only coated and under the coat they are electrically conductive. This would explain why the both outa mosfets blew up. Look at the pictures...

1 hour ago, Lukas83 said:

eehm... my guess is that the big brown capacitor made the short directly on the pins of the mosfets. The capacitor is only coated and under the coat they are electrically conductive. This would explain why the both outa mosfets blew up. Look at the pictures...

I don't know, the capacitor looks intact. Though if you lookĀ on the side where the capacitor is connected, one can observe an irregular pattern in the board. I'm not sure if this isĀ  part of its design or a defective PCB.

Edited by wheelr
  • Like 1

All in all Iā€™m still (somehow) really trusting my 100volt Nikola. Ā I ordered the speaker mod, so I will open it up this week and also examine my board as I replace the speaker.

Ā I will remind everyone that this wheel is truly a blast, and the acceleration is fabulous, so letā€™s not give up on the Nikola just yet. Gotway will work this out.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Jason is still missing in action and my wheel continues to be sidelined. Frustrating to see the various owners having a blast with theirs while mine collects dust.

Hmmm. Iā€™m sorry to hear this Marty, I thought Jason was on it..

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mrd777 said:

Hmmm. Iā€™m sorry to hear this Marty, I thought Jason was on it..

Last I heard from him was July 3rd. I think he's so busy keeping EWheels running that he's not keeping it running, if you know what I meanĀ :lol:Ā  It's been weeks since he got his big wheel shipments in but his e-mail auto-reply makes it sound like they just came in.

When you're running a business but have to resort to e-mail auto-replies, you know that you're losing the battle. Let's hope it turns around for himĀ :thumbup:

But it's not his fault that I'm having the Gotway problems. It'll get resolved one of these weeks ...

Good to hear that your wheel is still spinning and you're still lovin itĀ :)

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Topkek said:

Excuse my ignorance of electronics. Ā  WhenĀ I fit my new board, is there some way I can test it without riding - leaving it on all day leaned up against a wall for instance?

Ā 

The way the Kingsong testersĀ do it. Between two ramps. Making violent tic tocs. You hold onto the ramps... and use wheelog to check the temperature...

Use Wheelog to check the temps. If you hear a warning at low temperature, say before 50 deg C (correct my valueĀ those that have the wheel), you STOP.

Not the video I was thinking about, but you get the idea of the ramp...

Ā 

Edited by pico
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1