WARNING: Gotway Nikola production (assembly) issue [Solved]

2 minutes ago, who_the said:

What you're in SF, let's ride! :) 

I was trying to figure out how to make that happen but I have an hour before my friend's retirement party then a flight at 9pm home.  

12 minutes ago, Dzlchef said:

I received my new Nikola board today.  Looking forward to the install when I return from San Francisco.  The instructions are a bit wonky but I guess that's what's needed to properly build a Gotway?!?

So that means you're definitely not attending our night ride

1 minute ago, who_the said:

Shoot had a wheel for you. Next time hit us up! Some great riding up here. :) CHEERS

Yeah, moved away about a year ago, just before learning of EUCs. I'd like some riding time in the Bay area for sure!

Just now, Marty Backe said:

So that means you're definitely not attending our night ride

I'll be back tonight so don't give up hope. My wife didn't seem overly receptive to the initial news today but I've got over 48 hours to convince her. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dzlchef said:

Yeah, moved away about a year ago, just before learning of EUCs. I'd like some riding time in the Bay area for sure!

I'll be back tonight so don't give up hope. My wife didn't seem overly receptive to the initial news today but I've got over 48 hours to convince her. 

:thumbup:

Just tell her that I won't be there ;)

Edited by Marty Backe

14 minutes ago, Dzlchef said:

Or tell her you're just going out for a stRoll :efee612b4b:

3 hours ago, Jake Yau said:

this is Nikola plus 100V 1845wh
 1467525392_nikola100v01.thumb.jpg.4ab420820dd7b6a4068bf703df98a67b.jpg

nikola 100v 02.jpg

nikola 100v 03.jpg

3 hours ago, Jake Yau said:

this is Nikola plus 100V 1845wh
 1467525392_nikola100v01.thumb.jpg.4ab420820dd7b6a4068bf703df98a67b.jpg

nikola 100v 02.jpg

nikola 100v 03.jpg

I notice they've completely covered/sealed the axle/motor wire entry point... Why? :huh:

5 minutes ago, Arbolest said:

I notice they've completely covered/sealed the axle/motor wire entry point... Why? :huh:

Maybe it has something to do with the board being placed right next to it?

2 minutes ago, Arbolest said:

Why? :huh:

Gotway Glue and Silicone Compulsion (GGSC). It's a recognized disorder, affecting certain workes and their instruction givers in China;)

In earnest, I also don't understand it. It makes no sense. The axle nut doesn't need protection.

I file it under "Don't try to understand this, like many other manufacturer decisions, or you'll eventually go mad".

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, wheelr said:

Maybe it has something to do with the board being placed right next to it?

nope, been there since the start.. good thing it at least looks professional.................. not

1 hour ago, Arbolest said:

All the Nikola versions have that. I think it's just a safety mechanism to keep the outer shell from potential touching and damaging the wires.

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

All the Nikola versions have that. I think it's just a safety mechanism to keep the outer shell from potential touching and damaging the wires.

Yes, the cable is bent and under tension. Vibration over the shell would cause abrasion. High frequency vibrations can also cause a failure of the cable.

The silicon dampens those vibrations. 

Our wheels operate in a VERY hostile environment vibration wise.

Edited by pico
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Ohhh, another reason you see silicon on screws is if a screw losens you don't want it to fall and cause a short and start a fire.

Ideally you pot electronics in epoxy in this environment. But in this application you cannot for heat dissipation, weight and cost reasons.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, pico said:

Ohhh, another reason you see silicon on screws is if a screw losens you don't want it to fall and cause a short and start a fire.

I rode for a few weeks with what I tought to be a small pebble moving inside one of my MSX pedals. At one point i realized it came from inside the shell. When I opened it up, it was one of the shell screws I thought had dropped on my workshop floor the last time I opened it up. The screw had been dangling right next to the control board the whole time. Man it gave me the chills... :wacko:

1 hour ago, pico said:

Ideally you pot electronics in epoxy in this environment. But in this application you cannot for heat dissipation, weight and cost reasons.

KingSong uses a thick layer of laquer on their control boards to seal it from moisture and dust.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, mrelwood said:

KingSong uses a thick layer of laquer on their control boards to seal it from moisture and dust.

EcoDrift's latest factory visit photo's of the Nikola Plus shows that GotWay have also started to laquer the New control boards!

Gotway-Nikola-Plus.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

hello good, I own a gotko nikola, and I'm pretty concerned with the issue of the plates, this is my plate

does not have the famous glue

brings a silicone sheet between the mosfet and the plate
I would like to get a new ed plate, since my seller does not provide it to me, could someone tell me where to buy it?

42 minutes ago, fbhb said:

EcoDrift's latest factory visit photo's of the Nikola Plus shows that GotWay have also started to laquer the New control boards!

Gotway-Nikola-Plus.jpg

I've had that stuff on both of my Gotway control boards (including my MSuper V3S+ from more than a year ago), so they've been doing it for a while. Also, I can pretty definitely say it's not lacquer. It's a type of clear silicone or some kind of conformal coating that they brush on. Works great for waterproofing and preventing shorts. :thumbup:

Edited by Arbolest
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Fco Javier Padilla Jimenez said:

hello good, I own a gotko nikola, and I'm pretty concerned with the issue of the plates, this is my plate

94.27 kB · 0 downloads  

does not have the famous glue

I would like to get a new ed plate, since my seller does not provide it to me, could someone tell me where to buy it?

Wellcome to the forum. Please check how the text formatting of your post looks before replying.

Based on the photo you attached, you indeed have a dangerous version of the control board. Glue remains can be seen at the mosfet edges.

At least the Aliexpress seller Twheels has Nikola control boards for sale.

3 minutes ago, Arbolest said:

I've had that stuff on both of my Gotway control boards (including my MSuper V3S+ from more than a year ago), so they've been doing it for a while. 

On and off it seems, as my MSX bought new exactly a year ago does not have any coating on the control board.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Dzlchef said:

Imagen de mi tabla de reemplazo. Hay una hoja completa debajo de los MOSFET más grandes. 

Instrucciones enviadas: 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1oSCz_JBK7ZAp6hASQN1-fLLUq7vrULVo/view

ABED24D4-94CA-474E-8D62-79D960AF2403.jpeg

I am trying to get the new motherboard but my seller does not provide it to me. How can I get it on my own?

2 hours ago, Dzlchef said:

Picture of my replacement board. There is a full sheet under the larger MOSFETs. 

Instructions sent: 

You should feel comfortable riding with that board installed. The installation instructions are actually well written. Slicing through the gobs of silicone surrounding the connectors without nicking a wire is most tedious part. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, fbhb said:

Gotway-Nikola-Plus.jpg

Yes, my replacement Nikola board is lacquered

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Dzlchef said:

Picture of my replacement board. There is a full sheet under the larger MOSFETs. 

Instructions sent: 

It's interesting that Gotway still doesn't include the 10-cent bluetooth board. And I was a little confused with the instructions regarding the fan. Did you board assembly include a fan?

Of course I don't have a new control board, I'm just reading the instructions for entertainment :D

This repair sounds ridiculously complex to a complete layman like myself.. I have absolutely no experience with any sort of electronic repair .. I had a hard time replacing the interior structural supports on my v8.   

So needless to say I am hesitant to disassemble my very expensive and very important machine ..  I can’t believe I’m expected to do this on something I paid 2000$ for .  I’m glad they provided the board.  That’s great.   I still feel like we got screwed a bit ..  I wish there were more repair shops than just me having to pay for shipping it to Arizona and back. 

Any suggestions??

• Upvote 1