WARNING: Gotway Nikola production (assembly) issue [Solved]

30 minutes ago, Nils said:

Yeah, that's just cruel.. Its the ultimate anticlimax, getting your brand new fantastic wheel and still not being able to ride it even when it's right there. Well, one can at least bring it into bed and whisper sweet nothings to it at night while waiting for the charger.

lmfao

12 hours ago, Jia Liu said:

Everything looks great, except...there is no charger in the box :confused1: now contacting the seller. I plan to buy a fast charger anyways, does the ewheel one work for Nikola?

Just ordered the fast charger from @Jason McNeil, it should be here in couple days. If I knew he will ship the 100v version next week, I would’ve ordered the wheel from him, instead of waiting for one and half months from AliExpress, and....without charger :(

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Dzlchef said:

That’s akin to a man getting married to his virgin bride only to let the king sleep with her on the wedding night.  @maltocs is a much bigger man than me.  No matter how much I like and respect another, there is only one person unboxing and deflowering my virgin wheels! Me!!!

:roflmao:

• Chriull unpinned this topic
  • 2 months later...

Hi Marty, I really appreciate your tests that is a big caution and awareness for Nikola riders.

I've just bought an used Nikola which is an old version of the mainboard. During the weekends and today I ran 3 trips and about 5km/trip on flat terrain.
However the max temperature read from DarknessBot is 44.6 which is almost at the burning point in your test (46).
That brings me a huge concern if the motherboard can be burnt if I run more or not (because I can notice that the temperature just keep going up as I run, it seems never go down)

Can you share with me about the condition (your weight, the speed, the slope, distance/time taken by the moment of burn) of the tests you have made to push your Nikola to the limit (I remember you get burnt twice and the first one with face-plant while climbing up hill was super scary to me 😱...)

Thank you so much!

1 hour ago, michaelbui said:

However the max temperature read from DarknessBot is 44.6 which is almost at the burning point in your test (46).

Unfortunately, if you do have glue between the Mosfets and the cooling plate preventing any meaningful heat transfer, the mainboard temperature doesn’t tell you much about the temperature on the Mosfets, which are the ones that’ll blow first. 46•C is nothing to any part of the mainboard, and a typical overheat limit is 80•C.

I don’t think there is any other way for you to know if your wheel is safe to ride other than to carefully remove the mainboard for a careful inspection.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, michaelbui said:

I've just bought an used Nikola which is an old version of the mainboard. During the weekends and today I ran 3 trips and about 5km/trip on flat terrain.
That brings me a huge concern if the motherboard can be burnt if I run more or not (because I can notice that the temperature just keep going up as I run, it seems never go down)

Can you share with me about the condition

If there is some of this plastics between the mosfets and heatsink there is no way of telling which burdens will fry them.

Best to get a new MB!

• Like 1

@michaelbui This is not a vague issue. There are two cases here:

1. You are 100% sure your mainboard is glue-free (the old mainboard with the smaller mosfets is no problem by itself).
  2. You need to check and, if necessary, get a new board or fix it in some other way.

Since you aren't 100% sure, you need to do something. Hoping "it will be ok" is a really bad idea, the glue (if there) can strike at any time, unpredictably. I wouldn't even ride a questionable Nikola until this has been clarified.

Easy solution is to put in a new board, that will not only be glue-free, but also with much stronger mosfets. Or you disassemble your board and have a look, which is a bit of work.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

Hi everyone.

I've been reading some of the reports on this forum about nikola issue with the glue between mosfets. I recently bought a second hand 84v 1600wh Nikola from a guy in Spain (he did 1900km with no problems) and I wanted to ask you guys if there is a way to check if mine is also affected, maybe by the serial number or something as I've never opened a wheel and don't know how to check if my board has this issue. 
Thank you in advance!