WARNING: Gotway Nikola production (assembly) issue [Solved]

Thanks for all replies guys, but physiccally, whats the difference? A bigger capacitor, different resistor, better heatsink? I mention it because a poor QC (read as I don´t the whole company is that serious) can easily just put a fake "transitory" stamp of their future boards just to don´t make a propper recall. 

2 minutes ago, Eliran said:

Thanks for all replies guys, but physiccally, whats the difference? A bigger capacitor, different resistor, better heatsink? I mention it because a poor QC (read as I don´t the whole company is that serious) can easily just put a fake "transitory" stamp of their future boards just to don´t make a propper recall. 

the actual problem was using glue in between the the thermal pad and mosfets.. they upgraded to better mosfets and used a much large single sheet for the heatsink to avoid any possible use for glue and still have an easy assembly.. faking it would cost you just as much lol, not to mention it isnt like people wouldnt know almost immediately

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Anagnorisis said:

@Nils Did you paint your Nikola or is that the Plus?

@Nils has one of the first Nikola's. He's been riding it while we were dreaming of getting one. So yeah, it's painted. Notice that the pedals are black too - Gotway has never provided black pedals.

I was going to comment that your all black Nikola looks good @Nils. Maybe I missed it or forgot, but I didn't know that you had painted yours. It's a good look :D

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

@Nils has one of the first Nikola's. He's been riding it while we were dreaming of getting one. So yeah, it's painted. Notice that the pedals are black too - Gotway has never provided black pedals.

I was going to comment that your all black Nikola looks good @Nils. Maybe I missed it or forgot, but I didn't know that you had painted yours. It's a good look :D

Yeah, I did! Much better, but I was a little bit disappointed with the resulting finish, since the wheel was scuffed from before and this came through with the new paint.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Nils said:

Yeah, I did! Much better, but I was a little bit disappointed with the resulting finish, since the wheel was scuffed from before and this came through with the new paint.

Looks like maybe you didn't use a gloss finish for the shell? But it certainly looks nice in the video.

1 hour ago, Dave U said:

I pulled the trigger and ordered the Nikola 84V / 2100WH, :thumbup: ETA 3rd week of August. This is an EXPENSIVE ADDICTION! :dribble:,but well worth it! :roflmao:

Congrats, that should be a long range beast of a wheel :) Hopefully you'll enjoy the Nikola as much as I (and others) do!

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

Looks like maybe you didn't use a gloss finish for the shell? But it certainly looks nice in the video.

No, I went with your recipe and used high gloss for the shell and matte for the pedals. Thanks, it's a lot nicer than before 😁 Will have to find something nice for the center rings later also

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nils said:

Congrats, that should be a long range beast of a wheel :) Hopefully you'll enjoy the Nikola as much as I (and others) do!

Thanks, I hear all good things about this wheel, well almost except for one but should all be good by the time i receive it in late August. Yeah i want to do 11 hour rides with 30 river crossings :facepalm: .  Good video by the way.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Nils said:

Replaced my board yesterday, and shot some video during the process. My board came with the fan, so if you get a board without a fan (e.g. eWheel customers) the process will be slightly different as you'll have to move the old fan over as well.

Didn't open up the new board since I'm away from home and didn't have any thermal pads available, but I'd be very surprised to see a repeat of the earlier mistake. Might still open it up later though

Went for a nice ride earlier today, the first real ride with the new board - such a great wheel :thumbup:

Fantastic video. I think this will be the go to video for people looking for guidance. I'm impressed that you really did not want to cut any of those cable ties :D

BTW, I now only apply silicon to the hall sensor connector because that's the only one that could cause a faceplant if it worked itself loose. All the other connectors would just be an inconvenience.

:thumbup:

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Fantastic video. I think this will be the go to video for people looking for guidance. I'm impressed that you really did not want to cut any of those cable ties :D

BTW, I now only apply silicon to the hall sensor connector because that's the only one that could cause a faceplant if it worked itself loose. All the other connectors would just be an inconvenience.

it is quite hilarious and not at all surprising that that would be the single connector they failed to put silicone on xD

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Rywokast said:

it is quite hilarious and not at all surprising that that would be the single connector they failed to put silicone on xD

I'm not sure I understand :confused1: Just to be clear, I was not implying that Gotway did not put silicon on this connector.

Just now, Marty Backe said:

I'm not sure I understand :confused1: Just to be clear, I was not implying that Gotway did not put silicon on this connector.

you werent, @Nils in his video did

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Thanks! For the cable ties.. well, you don't always think rationally, some part of me wanted to keep them it seems :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Great video @Nils. Nice move on teaching the ones (like me) that power on the unit after disconnecting the batteries results in a capacitor energy drainage, avoiding electric problems while you deal with the electronics. By the way, you´ve paid for this new board or eWheels just sent you the new one to avoid problems?

ATB.

30 minutes ago, Eliran said:

By the way, you´ve paid for this new board or eWheels just sent you the new one to avoid problems?

@Nils is in Sweden and for that reason bought his Nikola directly from China via one of the Ali sellers so definitely not from eWheels!

Edited by fbhb
  • Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, Eliran said:

Great video @Nils. Nice move on teaching the ones (like me) that power on the unit after disconnecting the batteries results in a capacitor energy drainage, avoiding electric problems while you deal with the electronics. By the way, you´ve paid for this new board or eWheels just sent you the new one to avoid problems?

ATB.

Thanks! As @fbhb said l bought mine of Ali (wheeltech store). I paid the shipping (and VAT) myself but otherwise got the board for free. I'm happy with how Gotway and the seller handled it.

• Upvote 3

39 minutes ago, Nils said:

Thanks! As @fbhb said l bought mine of Ali (wheeltech store)

I had a feeling you may have bought it from @wheeltech's store.  I too have had very good dealings with this seller and can highly recommend the service that is offered to their customers.

Edited by fbhb
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Nils said:

Thanks! As @fbhb said l bought mine of Ali (wheeltech store). I paid the shipping (and VAT) myself but otherwise got the board for free. I'm happy with how Gotway and the seller handled it.

Here in Brazil we say something like: better late than never ;-)