WARNING: Gotway Nikola production (assembly) issue [Solved]

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

I mounted the fan that I had already bought and took a 20-mile ride. It's working but the temperature is still higher than I'd prefer. Will have to buy one that moves more air.

You should know that the fan Gotway uses is very impressive and move a lot of air. I really wouldn't see the point of doing what you are planning on unless your fan doesn't work.

really? did they change to a centrifugal fan in all of them? because ive seen both.. i know they can move a lot more air than a standard fan especially directly what theyre pointed at.. i was just saying that because if it was already open and your fan is loud then its not like a bigger fan would be worse air flow, and there are ones that are totally silent, i recall the fan in my ACM2 being loud enough for me to hear it while standing on it lol

1 hour ago, Dave U said:

I don't own a Nikola yet, but reading this thread since the beginning. Why is no one mentioning or advising an antistatic wrist strap, ESD wrist strap, or ground bracelet is an antistatic device used to safely ground a person working on very sensitive electronic equipment, to prevent the buildup of static electricity on their body, which can result in electrostatic discharge (ESD), resulting in further damage to a unit in which will shorten the life/falter or simply fail at start?

or did i just miss something?

idk ive built like ten computers and never worn one while doing that.. i think as long as youre not on a carpet with socks youll be fine but its possible.. no harm in wearing one if you have it but i wouldnt go out and buy one

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Dzlchef said:

Nope, no additional fan, I'm to reuse the current fan.   Line 5 of the instructions is a bit fuzzy for me but hopefully it makes sense when I get everything pulled apart.

My board just arrived, with fan installed and connected, but without BT board so still have to move that over.

nikola-board.thumb.jpg.91caaeb44218e84370b66694f4927e83.jpg

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Chriull said:

I have no special ESD equipment and also build up some computers and similar things successfully.

As you said - one should stay away from carpets and similar(and maybe not wear 100% synthetic cloth), additionally I "ground" myself before starting (at some grounded metal chassis or the ground "pin" of a socket.

And then, imo the most important part - one should only look with the eyes and not with the fingers! I've seen many people saying "look what's this" and in the same moment they touched the mainboard/graphics card/etc... All the "sensitive" PCB can be nicely held just at the outside cirumference, preferably there places with some ground planes (near the holes for the mounting screws), etc. imo many small (some maybe important, some not so..) points that happen just subconsiously by beeing careful.

EUC mainboards can easily handled with just touching them on the aluminium heatsink - no contact or even getting near anything sensitive is necessary...

Ps.: And since most/all EUC mainboards have quite some coating they should be relatively safe/unsensitivy anyways...

i guess if youre new to this these practices probably arent at all common sense.. i can picture someone picking up the board by a capacitor or fondling it nonchalantly while walking across the carpet with it to get a screwdriver or something lol

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Rywokast said:

i guess if youre new to this these practices probably arent at all common sense.. i can picture someone picking up the board by a capacitor or fondling it nonchalantly while walking across the carpet with it to get a screwdriver or something lol

Lol - and one should not forget to caress ones long hair cat often inbetween :P

Ps.: To write something usefull too - i like to use the foam pieces/plastic bags from the PCBs as underlay, as they all should be (a bit) conductive to prevent static electricity.

• Like 1

The Nikola Plus has a nice fan that blows air where it should go (over the heatsink and between board and heatsink). I still wonder if this is 100V only or if all 84V Nikolas will be "Plus" in the future. Someone tell plz:confused1:

Also the side-mounted board has a much smaller heatsink now. I guess the big mosfets allow for this.

(OriginalPicture credit: EcoDrift)

Monokoleso-Gotway-Nikola-Plus-13.jpg

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Rywokast said:

really? did they change to a centrifugal fan in all of them? because ive seen both.. i know they can move a lot more air than a standard fan especially directly what theyre pointed at.. i was just saying that because if it was already open and your fan is loud then its not like a bigger fan would be worse air flow, and there are ones that are totally silent, i recall the fan in my ACM2 being loud enough for me to hear it while standing on it lol

I don't know about the newest versions of all their wheels, but the Nikola has the cage fan and it directs the air over the MOSFETs. The older box fans that Gotway uses don't focus the air as well. It's certainly not a silent fan though.

My replacement box fan is allowing the wheel to run about 8-degrees Celsius warmer than the stock fan. It's moving 9.5 CFM of air. I think I need to double the air flow.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

My replacement box fan is allowing the wheel to run about 8-degrees Celsius warmer than the stock fan. It's moving 9.5 CFM of air. I think I need to double the air flow.

Maybe it's reading the correct temperature now and the old board gave false lows?   How does it compare with the temperatures on the MSX 84V?

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Dzlchef said:

Maybe it's reading the correct temperature now and the old board gave false lows?   How does it compare with the temperatures on the MSX 84V?

Don't know. Haven't experimented with anything else (I just installed it last night). But my gut tells me that I need more airflow. When we ride tonight I'd like to compare temperatures a few times to get a proper calibration.

Edited by Marty Backe
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Dzlchef said:

I swapped boards today and everything went very smooth. The lights, fan, Bluetooth, and motor work properly.  Definitely need to pay close attention to the instructions but it wasn’t difficult.  It took me 1.5 hours and I felt comfortable with every part of the process. It’s nice knowing that I have a proper board with larger MOSFETS 

I totally forgot about the new board tiltback setting in Wheellog, after testing softly, took off and tiltback!  That got fixed quick! 

Cheers!

And now your wheel has 0-miles again :D

• Like 1

On 7/13/2019 at 2:07 AM, mrelwood said:

Gotway should definitively annouce how to know the caracteritics of their new batch of boards. 

I want a new Nicola but how do I know that my board is the new one or is the old one?

Edited by Eliran

16 hours ago, Dzlchef said:

I swapped boards today and everything went very smooth. The lights, fan, Bluetooth, and motor work properly.  Definitely need to pay close attention to the instructions but it wasn’t difficult.  It took me 1.5 hours and I felt comfortable with every part of the process. It’s nice knowing that I have a proper board with larger MOSFETS 

I totally forgot about the new board tiltback setting in Wheellog, after testing softly, took off and tiltback!  That got fixed quick! 

Cheers!

It would be really interesting to see what your original board looks like underneath. If your MOSFETs were slathered with glue and you managed 1000 trouble free miles anyway it would be a very interesting data point. I am guessing that the Nikola boards fail readily only when both MOSFETs in at least one pair are contaminated. Great to hear you are up and running with the new board!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wheelr said:

@Eliran All replacement boards I've seen have a build date / serial of 190609.. or June 9th 2019. So that's one way to check.

Where on the board to check this? Sorry technoob here😊

On 7/13/2019 at 5:20 AM, Nils said:

nikola-board.thumb.jpg.91caaeb44218e84370b66694f4927e83.jpg

8 minutes ago, Rudy Sijnke said:

Where on the board to check this? Sorry technoob here😊

On the white sticker next to "Code:"

Edited by wheelr

1 hour ago, Phil McLaughlin said:

It would be really interesting to see what your original board looks like underneath. If your MOSFETs were slathered with glue and you managed 1000 trouble free miles anyway it would be a very interesting data point. I am guessing that the Nikola boards fail readily only when both MOSFETs in at least one pair are contaminated. Great to hear you are up and running with the new board!

I’m planning on pulling it apart to look, just wanted to get some distance on the new board first to be safe.  I don’t have a lot of house space and my garage is 100 years old so there’s not much “clean room” to leave something disassembled.  I’m not ready to follow Phil just yet but soon I’ll rebuild the original. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, wheelr said:

@Eliran All replacement boards I've seen have a build date / serial of 190609.. or June 9th 2019. So that's one way to check.

Actually mine is stamped June 4th 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Dzlchef said:

Actually mine is stamped June 4t

Go figure, that's the date of Marty's initial post. I would however still go with June 6 as most replacement boards appear to have been built from that date onwards.

Edited by wheelr
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, wheelr said:

Go figure, that's the date of Marty's initial post. I would however still go with June 6 as most replacement boards appear to have been built from that date onwards.

And I let Jason know of the failure a bit before I posted. He immediately contacted Gotway. So they were on to a solution very quickly.

• Like 1