WARNING: Gotway Nikola production (assembly) issue [Solved]

On 7/8/2019 at 7:38 AM, Jim Martin said:

My board didn't even have the jumper wire so no way they could have tested it.  I had to do some research to make sure it needed the jumper wire and had to create my own (as seen in the image).  Well, I will see what Jason says, hopefully he can get me another one to try.  I guess I'm down for a couple more weeks.  I've had this wheel since day 1 and ridden it once :(

So am I the only one that thinks it’s possible your rigged up jumper wire that you made yourself could be the cause of your short out and blown board ????  I’ve got over 400miles on my first gen board . I put over 20 miles on it a day and I absolutely love my nikola.  It’s the most comfortable and most powerful wheel I’ve ridden.  Sooo damn much fun .   I’m really sorry you haven’t been able to ride yours. I know how frustrating that must be .  I truly hope you get it all worked out so you can actually experience how wonderful this wheel is. 

@Marty Backe   Thanks so much for the idea of the 3m tread safe strip.  I changed out the pedals on my Nikola and omg it feels sooooooo much more secure. Acceleration and braking is so much easier and I don’t worry about slippage at all. Best 12$ mod possible. Thanks man !!!!  

I’ll be finished with all my planned upgrades by the weekend and will post pics.  I’m still waiting on my side pad material to get here. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Lucas Alexander Oliver said:

So am I the only one that thinks it’s possible your rigged up jumper wire that you made yourself could be the cause of your short out and blown board ????  I’ve got over 400miles on my first gen board . I put over 20 miles on it a day and I absolutely love my nikola.  It’s the most comfortable and most powerful wheel I’ve ridden.  Sooo damn much fun .   I’m really sorry you haven’t been able to ride yours. I know how frustrating that must be .  I truly hope you get it all worked out so you can actually experience how wonderful this wheel is. 

If he has the knowledge and tools to create the missing jumper wire and connectors, I'd be confident that he did not cause the issue. It's just a jumper. These things aren't magic :)

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Nils said:

+1 (but personally I wouldn't go for the mica wafers but individual TO-220 pads - the mica pads as used by Phil are definitely better but not better to a degree that I would invest in the work.. :P)

Yes I fully agree with you; the TO-220 self adhesive thermal silicone pads worked very well in testing and are easy to use. I demonstrated the application of thermal paste and mica insulators because otherwise there would have been many comments about how much better thermal paste is. Yes it is better but it is my belief that the silicone pads are probably good enough for any use of the Nikola and A LOT less messy!

• Like 2

nik.thumb.jpg.6061063ad9f5ecef09035ae14430bd5b.jpg Hello guys!

2 days ago I got my Nikola, everything works fine, got 100 kilometers on it already. Decided to open it to fix the glue just to be sure but then i realized mine is different because it only has one silicone pad for the mosfets combined instead of 2 seperate for the 2 row of mosfets. the number is 190604176 so i guess it was made after they realized the issue. Do you think it still has a chance for glue? I don't really want to mess with it if it's not necessary.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Bluelizard said:

2 days ago I got my Nikola, everything works fine, got 100 kilometers on it already. Decided to open it to fix the glue just to be sure but then i realized mine is different because it only has one silicone pad for the mosfets combined instead of 2 seperate for the 2 row of mosfets. the number is 190604176 so i guess it was made after they realized the issue. Do you think it still has a chance for glue? I don't really want to mess with it if it's not necessary.

cant see it can you get a pic of the mosfets at all to be sure its the new ones? the single large thermal pad is the new one though so 99% chance its all good either way just want to make sure they arent skimping with just swapping out the pads on old boards or something lol can never be too sure

• Upvote 2

@Mrd777 had his 100v Nikola since before Marty's failed and it used the larger single thermal pad. Logically and from an assembly point of view they [Gotway assemblers] should have been able to align it with the MOSFETs without using any glue, but I believe it is fair to say we simply don't know whether they used glue on those or not.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

It is the 84V variant, I think it is still the old board, can't really say. I'm going to check it again from the other side and attach a picture. Don't think I can get the new board since I ordered from Ali and when I asked he didn't know anything about this.

From previous photos, it seems the 84v boards go in the upper cavity above the wheel. The 100v boards go in a side cavity on the wheel. So it probably is the 84v one.

Edited by erk1024

39 minutes ago, Bluelizard said:

nik2.thumb.jpg.2bf14004a1cc88876bfa792e99b82c23.jpg

I measured the width of the mosfet from here it was around 15mm. also the side of the pads come up easily so there is no glue there.

That are the big 247 Mosfets….not the small one...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

40 minutes ago, Bluelizard said:

I measured the width of the mosfet from here it was around 15mm. also the side of the pads come up easily so there is no glue there.

Great! This is the new board with the larger MOSFETs so you have nothing to worry about.

• Upvote 1

You have the new board. You're good to go. Now go enjoy your wheel :thumbup:

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Bluelizard said:

Big MOSFETs, Big thermal pad. Looks great! Does the fan spin?

i wonder if the battery being at the top if there is a discernible difference in the weight distribution in how it turns.. strange to see a battery up there lol like a V8.. nikola plus has 1600 wh of batters in the centre and the other 500 wh at the bottom which i would imagine would give it a very grounded feeling similar to an ACM? havent got mine yet will have to see @.@

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Jake Yau said:

this is Nikola plus 100V 1845wh

Thank you for the pictures! Nice to see it has three standard 100V batteries and no strange layout.

Can't wait to see the 2100Wh 84V version! They can't use three standard 84V batteries (they're longer), but maybe the third battery on top is simply the Tesla battery. It also look like there is enough space up there so you could build a 2400Wh custom Nikola!

9 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Thank you for the pictures! Nice to see it has three standard 100V batteries and no strange layout.

Can't wait to see the 2100Wh 84V version! They can't use three standard 84V batteries (they're longer), but maybe the third battery on top is simply the Tesla battery. It also look like there is enough space up there so you could build a 2400Wh custom Nikola!

66271939_10219765927439968_8750427637131771904_o.jpg

Monokoleso-Gotway-Nikola-razbiraem-7.jpg

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dzlchef said:

I received my new Nikola board today.  Looking forward to the install when I return from San Francisco.  The instructions are a bit wonky but I guess that's what's needed to properly build a Gotway?!?

What you're in SF, let's ride! :)