WARNING: Gotway Nikola production (assembly) issue [Solved]

18 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Ah yes, now I remember. Sorry, I follow so much stuff that I sometimes forget who has done what. I'm considering ordering the 2100wh version to one-up you :D

Marty, this actually will be released? I'm on the fence of getting one myself... Also wondering if it comes out in either white and black borders... 

Keep us updated:) 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Heyzeus said:

I really wish we could get a company like Honda or Toyota, that follows or atleast attempts to follow industry best practices when it comes to manufacturing/assembly, quality control, software/app development and has ISO standards as part of their normal routine, developing EUCs

Not that there wouldn't still be qc issues or potentially recalls and other problems, but I would just love to see their take on the vehicle and how their development compares to gotway and kingsong.

Unfortunately, i imagine besides not being popular enough there are too many liability issues for Honda/Toyota/etc to get into this business right now

You might not have to wait too long - Ford have recently invested in 'spin' the electric scooter rental business

37 minutes ago, Rudy Sijnke said:

Marty, this actually will be released? I'm on the fence of getting one myself... Also wondering if it comes out in either white and black borders... 

Keep us updated:) 

Absolutely. Jason told me that he was the one to get Gotway to stuff more batteries in the Nikola. He is getting a shipment of the 2100wh Nikola's in. Contact EWheels if you want to be placed on the waiting list.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Absolutely. Jason told me that he was the one to get Gotway to stuff more batteries in the Nikola. He is getting a shipment of the 2100wh Nikola's in. Contact EWheels if you want to be placed on the waiting list.

Good to know and, I know that Jason is topnotch, however: I live in Europe and shipping will cost me a fortune, lol. I think for this I will go for Greenfashion... Dealt a lot with Chen... Thanks for the confirmation, Marty😎👍

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

No. He was just using "Monster" as a descriptor - "Monster MOSFETs".

Those are the replacement Nikola control boards. Look at the bottom picture. See the label on the control board - "Gotway Nikola / 84V"

Cool thanks man. So problem solved? Thoughts? 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Patton250 said:

Cool thanks man. So problem solved? Thoughts? 

I'll get my board Monday or Tuesday, install it, and then start testing.

• Upvote 2

Nihil novi, your burned mosfets had hot glue on top of them. I would say that one newbie mounting person was responsible. Hard to tell exact % of boards v1.

It seems though that they learned they lesson and improve on new boards (v2)...

11 hours ago, wongster said:

After leaving it powered on resting against the wall of an air-conditioned cafe for 3hrs. the power-cut happened 10 minutes into my wheeling session.

Just an (off-topic) thought to this description - leaving a powered on EUC resting against the wall for 3 hours is imho a very bad idea. The manufacturers got the "stand-still" case very good under controll with their firmwares - the times of the burned motherboards/mosfets at (almost) standstill are (afaik) over!

But this could still be some not neglectable stress for the wheel - So maybe this was the "preconditionig" for the "low stress" bailout afterwards?

• Like 2

11 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

I really wonder now if any other non-Nikola boards have glue. It could still be that some have but didn't die due to the bigger TO-247 board (on the MSX or Monster).

It would appear that only boards with 12 mosfets are susceptible because these are the boards with the inaccessable second row of 6.  No glue is used (I would hope) on a row of mosfets that are easy to access and align during assembly.

49 minutes ago, Chriull said:

Just an (off-topic) thought to this description - leaving a powered on EUC resting against the wall for 3 hours is imho a very bad idea. The manufacturers got the "stand-still" case very good under controll with their firmwares - the times of the burned motherboards/mosfets at (almost) standstill are (afaik) over!

But this could still be some not neglectable stress for the wheel - So maybe this was the "preconditionig" for the "low stress" bailout afterwards?

I was wondering about this three hours power-on rest.  A bit weird.  But then I remembered that once I charged my KS14C up to 100% before a ride and then couldn't take the ride.  I left it powered up, light on for hours to reduce the battery charge a bit.  No harm done unless somehow this lead to a cracked axle :facepalm:

And @wongster your post and all the other burn outs clearly prove that the glue is the culprit; only glued mosfets are burning up, so why you back-tracked on the reason for the problem later in your post, is a bit confusing.  Glad you made it through mostly ok.

Edited by Smoother
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 6/30/2019 at 1:14 AM, maltocs said:

Speaking of the 100V 1845WH  Nikola Plus ordered direct from China, If it was according to the estimated time the aliexpress page quoted, it would be here already. I emailed them this week and asked about the status. They said it was sitting in HK awaiting the outcome of the Trump/China trade deal. Today's headlines read "Trump says ‘there will be no reduction in the tariffs’ currently imposed against China" Not sure if I should just back out now or keep waiting. 

They said once it leaves HK, it would be 2-3 weeks.

If this keeps up I guess they might have to implement something similar to what they're doing for Europe destinations, i.e. ship by boat to some other location first and send from there.

Edited by Nils

Hi everybody,

I would like if New MSX (with new rear light) and TESLA V2 (with anti spin and speakers) are affected by this problem.

What type of mothercard and mosfets for this two wheels ? Because i saw that is a problem with Tsla V2 for example..IMG-4066.thumb.JPG.696f2b3b6c87674afd088be1a53d3731.JPG

IMG-4067.JPG

8 minutes ago, kelec_947 said:

Hi everybody,

I would like if New MSX (with new rear light) and TESLA V2 (with anti spin and speakers) are affected by this problem.

What type of mothercard and mosfets for this two wheels ? Because i saw that is a problem with Tsla V2 for example..

In the thread @Topkek says "I don’t know anything about the issue other than hot glue having something to do with it", but I don't where this comes from. There aren't any cases of any MSXs failing due to this issue that I'm aware of.  Some more knowledgeable than me will for sure chime in regarding the Tesla, but as I recall the V2 has the same board as the original one, with 12 MOSFETs and one row in the middle which could be a reason for the same faulty assembly. Still, one should pause before making hasty presumptions, and perhaps @Topkek has more information regarding his faulty wheel?

8 minutes ago, Nils said:

In the thread @Topkek says "I don’t know anything about the issue other than hot glue having something to do with it", but I don't where this comes from. There aren't any cases of any MSXs failing due to this issue that I'm aware of.  Some more knowledgeable than me will for sure chime in regarding the Tesla, but as I recall the V2 has the same board as the original one, with 12 MOSFETs and one row in the middle which could be a reason for the same faulty assembly. Still, one should pause before making hasty presumptions, and perhaps @Topkek has more information regarding his faulty wheel?

I haven’t removed the board to check, so your right I shouldn’t really make hasty presumptions.  Hopefully mine is a one off.  I was playing music at a little less than full volume a lot of the time before cut off, not sure if this is relevant.  

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Topkek said:

I haven’t removed the board to check, so your right I shouldn’t really make hasty presumptions.  Hopefully mine is a one off.

So the board is dead? In the other thread "just" a cut-out was mentioned, which is very often used for an overlean.

23 minutes ago, Topkek said:

I was playing music at a little less than full volume a lot of the time before cut off, not sure if this is relevant.  

No. The speakers have nothing to do with the motor driver mosfets.

Just if they destroy the voltage converters, if the music uses the same as are used for the rest of the motherboard (uC, etc...) the wheel is out of order, too.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Chriull said:

So the board is dead? In the other thread "just" a cut-out was mentioned, which is very often used for an overlean.

Knowing that from another Group...the Wheel cut out while totally normal 15mph riding, no overlean

….and yes, Wheel is dead

6 minutes ago, Chriull said:

The speakers have nothing to do with the motor driver mosfets.

Just if they destroy the voltage converters, if the music uses the same as are used for the rest of the motherboard (uC, etc...) the wheel is out of order, too.

That would be a bummer...to have another bottle neck installed with the Speakers....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, US69 said:

That would be a bummer...to have another bottle neck installed with the Speakers....

It sure would, but let's just have a breather here before we go off on this this more theoretical tangent. Let's just follow the evidence and see where that might lead us.

Edited by Nils
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Chriull said:

No. The speakers have nothing to do with the motor driver mosfets.

From a lot of time on my v8, I would estimate that I was travelling at no more than 15mph; was just maintaining constant speed when it cut out on flat road.

I received the Tesla last Wednesday, rode it Friday night around hundreds of cyclists then Saturday short ride to shops then Sunday morning it cut out.  Didn’t get opportunity to test it off-road or do any high speeds.

Sorry to bring this up in the nikola thread.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Nils said:

If this keeps up I guess they might have to implement something similar to what they're doing for Europe destinations, i.e. ship by boat to some other location first and send from there.

Is THAT how you guys receive wheels in Europe?? So time-consuming! And who handles and pays for secondary shipping?? I would imagine ewheels is suffering the same delays from the trade wars so it would be somewhat pointless for me to cancel and order though jason if my goal is to get it faster. If they ship TODAY, the summer will already be half over before I get it. :(

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, maltocs said:

Is THAT how you guys receive wheels in Europe?? So time-consuming! And who handles and pays for secondary shipping?? I would imagine ewheels is suffering the same delays from the trade wars so it would be somewhat pointless for me to cancel and order though jason if my goal is to get it faster. If they ship TODAY, the summer will already be half over before I get it. :(

Pssst. You only live ~15-miles from me. Where I live, summer is 365-days long B)

P.s. I don't think (but I don't have any direct knowledge) the trade wars add any delays. It's just additional fees (tariffs).

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2