WARNING: Gotway Nikola production (assembly) issue [Solved]

42 minutes ago, stephen said:

Be nice to see how it does on over heat hill with the new motor 👍

I think the faceplant will be always be in the back of his mind now though on the newer wheels , 

@Marty Backe are you getting the wheel still if so when ,,ish😊

I'm not buying one right now, if that's what you're asking. If I'm getting the demo unit I'll know when it arrives at my front door. Otherwise I have no idea.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Phil McLaughlin said:

It looks like the pictures did not attach on my last post so I am trying again...

Third time's the charm! :) After uploading the pictures, I believe you need to click on them as well for them to appear in your post.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Phil McLaughlin said:

It looks like the pictures did not attach so I will try again with help from Nils!

Here is the middle thermal pad in position:

With the thermal pad removed showing the glue running under the other side of the pad:

Showing the MOSFET side of the thermal pad surface. Clearly shows the squeeze out of the glue from under the pad.

A macro photo of the MOSFET thermal contact surface showing the exposed metal:

P6251069.thumb.jpg.c3f4a6b6ccaae45c9be2197e2070812e.jpg

Great follow-up Phil. This story just keeps getting more interesting. I do take this a good news, but unfortunately it's still a bit of a roll-of-the-dice as to whether any particular Nikola owner has an issue. Looks like it depends on the assembler and how much glue/adhesive they squirt on the MOSFETs during assembly. Wonderful :unsure:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Nils said:

We'll it's actually a good case for bigger margins over all - typically I'd assume you'd worry about the electrical/physical properties of the design but the actual assembly plays as much a part as anything else so not only add some margins for the physical properties of the design, but add some for the Joe (or the overseer/manager) at the assembly line as well. Assume gross negligence across the board and plan for that and it might work out well!

Absolutely. I'll probably only recommend that people buy the 100-volt version because of this.

• Like 2

I can't say I've read all the posts on this subject but there doesn't seem to be much factual (with references) based discussion about what actually thermal past is and how many different verities there are.  So I looked it up

Edited to remove unnecessary conjecture

https://www.techpowerup.com/articles/overclocking/134

EDIT I had this thought a wile ago when Marty was describing the specific location of the substance and someone might have mentioned it).  It would appear that this dab of hot glue or whatever,  might be placed where it is to hold the thermal strip in place on this inaccessible row of mosfets long enough for the assembly to be completed. It's placement (only in the middle) suggests it is there merely to aid the assembly process and not to enhance the finished product.  I often apply a dab of something sticky to the end of a screwdriver, etc,  when assembling things in inaccessible places, like deep in the dashboard of a car, or fairing of a motorcycle.  Of course my applications are never thermal or electrically sensitive, with face plant consequences

Edited by Smoother
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Chriull said:

I would not recommend anyone here to mess with the heatsink or try to "improve" it obeselves, if one has not the knowledge and experience! It's very easy to mess things up...

Next detail would be how to isolate and fix the screws, which hold the mosfets down....

You can use loctite for this... holds pretty good. 

The electrical conductivity is a real problem...in my gaming pc I have liquid metal as a cooling paste, but in this case even non electrical cooling paste wouldn't help bc its to dangerous to get a short. I would try to change the mosfet to  to247 or even bigger ones and seal the little legs with clear coat - like nail polish. 

then build up the cooler wit some good quality thermal pad and fix everything tight together... get rid of the cheap fan and buy one from Noctua. Thermals should get a lot better and the reliability as well... 

2 hours ago, Phil McLaughlin said:

Following the closer examination of my board I believe that it is not necessary to change out my MOSFETs. I have not tried removing the glue yet but as you stated it is not possible to just peel it off. I will try some things and report what seems to work best.

Small nozzle heat gun quickly softened the glue enough that I was easily able to peel the layer off with a bit of patience. Surface comes clean. I have saved the peeled paste for further inspection.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Great follow-up Phil. This story just keeps getting more interesting. I do take this a good news, but unfortunately it's still a bit of a roll-of-the-dice as to whether any particular Nikola owner has an issue. Looks like it depends on the assembler and how much glue/adhesive they squirt on the MOSFETs during assembly. Wonderful :unsure:

I see it the other way round. If the blob of glue was clearly prohibiting cooling on all inspected devices, I think it would be easier to get proper call-back and repair systems in place. Currently one can still shrug at the issue like Gotway themselves seem to, thinking that it may not cause every Nikola to fail. Which is of course true, but nobody wants to buy a $2000 ticket to participate in russian roulette.

Every current Nikola owner must hear about the issue!

I also wouldn’t advise to purchase the 100V Nikola (or any other Gotway for that matter) until the specific model and version is checked for this issue.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, Dzlchef said:

so far with success

Unfortunately that doesn’t mean that it can take the same stress the next time. Or after a week. Or month.

This girl is a back-stabber, don’t give her your bank credentials!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Dzlchef said:

I’m in love with this magnificent supermodel that has a couple weird visual flaws but is absolutely the best girl I’ve ever met. I only wish that I could trust her, but it hasn’t stopped me for going along for the ride!

I hope that girl doesn't bitch slap 👋 you one day and send you to the ground 😁

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Dzlchef said:

I feel like maybe my Nikola is going to be okay but who really knows

Why don't you take her to over heat hill to watch the sunset? :unsure:

• Like 3