WARNING: Gotway Nikola production (assembly) issue [Solved]

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

I don't agree, but that's me.

Also, this is a new board and Gotway is now using a different type of thermal transfer sheet that would preclude the need for any adhesive.

We know already from other test that scotch tape or hot glue make mosfets burn. So no matter if you use super components if your montage is bad.

Here, I hope with you that Gotway learned from mistake and it won't happen again. For sure they improved control board design...

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, wheelr said:

My point/question is: If a smaller glued MOSFET could burn under little stress, couldn't a larger glued MOSFET burn under slightly greater stress? 

I'm assuming that the MSX is built using the same method since it's control board has the same layout configuration. We know of no failures under similar conditions and of course my MSX went up the same hill with no issues.

However, this is all mute because Gotway has switched to an assembly method that requires no use of an adhesive.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

50 minutes ago, LucasD said:

We know already from other test that scotch tape or hot glue make mosfets burn. So no matter if you use super components if your montage is bad.

Here, I hope with you that Gotway learned from mistake and it won't happen again. For sure they improved control board design...

Of course. Nobody is disagreeing with you.

But they are now using an assembly technique that requires no adhesive. I guess I'll probably have to write this another hundred times :)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

But they are now using an assembly technique that requires no adhesive!

x10 = 100

@Marty Backe There you go, I saved you the trouble :D

Edited by fbhb
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, fbhb said:

x10 = 100

@Marty Backe There you go, I saved you the trouble :D

:laughbounce2:

4 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Then wrap the wheel in duct tape to prevent scratches and also tape rubber padding over the various parts that will hit the ground when the wheel falls.

Seriously Marty? You are actually recommending duct tape now? You've only ever shook your head at my Duct Taped wheels! I actually took most of the tape off my wheels at the worst time possible, when I was on a camping trip teaching some kids. They are all scratched up now :(.

I'm all about the duct tape!

Also, congrats on submitting your paperwork. I would say "join the club" but I think I work more than ever now with honey-dos. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, maltocs said:

Seriously Marty? You are actually recommending duct tape now? You've only ever shook your head at my Duct Taped wheels! I actually took most of the tape off my wheels at the worst time possible, when I was on a camping trip teaching some kids. They are all scratched up now :(.

I'm all about the duct tape!

Also, congrats on submitting your paperwork. I would say "join the club" but I think I work more than ever now with honey-dos. 

:roflmao: Yes guys, only use the duct tape while learning. Don't follow @maltocs faux pas of keeping the tape on indefinitely  ;)

Thanks. I plan on enjoying retirement. We'll see about the honey-dos :unsure:

Maybe we can get some more riding in too :thumbup:

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Love it. So now Brandon is taking over the MCM5. I think you need to get your order in for the Nikola. :)

Speaking of the 100V 1845WH  Nikola Plus ordered direct from China, If it was according to the estimated time the aliexpress page quoted, it would be here already. I emailed them this week and asked about the status. They said it was sitting in HK awaiting the outcome of the Trump/China trade deal. Today's headlines read "Trump says ‘there will be no reduction in the tariffs’ currently imposed against China" Not sure if I should just back out now or keep waiting. 

They said once it leaves HK, it would be 2-3 weeks. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rywokast said:

ouch.. glad theres no trump here lol.. my last euc took two weeks from ali from ordering to at my door, zero tax or fees

The one and only wheel that I ordered direct from China took ~30-days to arrive.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Marty Backe said:

Ah yes, now I remember. Sorry, I follow so much stuff that I sometimes forget who has done what. I'm considering ordering the 2100wh version to one-up you :D

do it.. i cant wait to get mine.. if i can easily get 70 km on my ks16s and about 120 out of an acm2, then i imagine i will be going for a lot of 150 km trips :D

• Like 1

I'm considering ordering the 2100wh version to one-up you :D

Well, since you weight 25lbs less than me, you already one up me, so technically, you'd be TWO upping me in range. But since mine will be a 100V version, I'd be one upping you on the speed at which I hit the concrete.

I'm wondering if they presold the Nikola Plus 100/1845. I haven't seen anything online of anyone actually taking possession of one. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, maltocs said:

Well, since you weight 25lbs less than me, you already one up me, so technically, you'd be TWO upping me in range. But since mine will be a 100V version, I'd be one upping you on the speed at which I hit the concrete.

I'm wondering if they presold the Nikola Plus 100/1845. I haven't seen anything online of anyone actually taking possession of one. 

ive seen people in china not working for gotway.. but i think for north america yes presold.. they should be going out any day now though...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, maltocs said:

:roflmao:

@Mrd777 has a 100-volt Nikola, but I don't recall which version exactly.

didnt they have some early like prototype ones where they were the roomba style? i recall a video of someone riding one very short video i cant remember where it was though, but definitely not china... i think they may have done a very small run of the regular looking ones in 100V configuration before actually coming out with a "V2" which is the current all black one they started pre-selling weeks ago

Edited by Rywokast
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Just now, Rywokast said:

didnt they have some early like prototype ones where they were the roomba style? i recall a video of someone riding one very short video i cant remember where it was though, but definitely not china... i think they may have done a very small run of the regular looking ones in 100V configuration before actually coming out with a "V2" which is the current one they started pre-selling weeks ago

His version is the smaller battery version. It also has white walls which he nicely covered up. I'm hoping the reason they haven't shipped it is because they did indeed presell and it wasn't actually built until they realized the whole glue-gate thing went down. I can't wait out Trump, he's a stubborn man (I think I'm allowed to say that now).

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Chriull said:

+1. GW takes this serious - they are putting much effort in their wheels. Imo that was just some thoughtless assembly simplification, someone without knowledge invented. They know now and the issue is solved!

Just some of these ?600? wheels already produced could have the issue.

Well said! I completely agree with your analysis of the situation. 

41 minutes ago, Patton250 said:

I just joined today. I’ve only been riding for about 6 months. I purchased the Nikola form eWheels and had it overnighted. Jason said they put a new board in it. The same board they use in the monster. I’m hoping this will be ok. I’m excited to get it. I already have the KS16S and KS18XL. Thanks for all the info on this thread. Great stuff. 

wow six months and you will have three amazing wheels in your collection.. very nice :) the new nikola will work out great

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Rywokast said:

wow six months and you will have three amazing wheels in your collection.. very nice :) the new nikola will work out great

Thanks man. I would like to get everyone’s opinion on this monster board that was installed in my new Nikola. Jason’s team removed the factory board before shipping and installed the same board that is in the GW Monster. Problem solved or wait for a Marty overheat hill stress test to be sure? Thanks. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Patton250 said:

Thanks man. I would like to get everyone’s opinion on this monster board that was installed in my new Nikola. Jason’s team removed the factory board before shipping and installed the same board that is in the GW Monster. Problem solved or wait for a Marty overheat hill stress test to be sure? Thanks. 

You should be perfectly fine with the new board.  I suggest taking your time to get the tire pressure correct and you’ll absolutely love the wheel.  I can’t brag enough at how awesome the ride is with this wheel!

• Upvote 1

On 6/30/2019 at 3:50 AM, Patton250 said:

It depends, if the board is old stock from the old 84V Monster, it has the old small MOSFETs. Many people have blown these old boards on camera.

Edited by Michael Tucker

6 hours ago, Patton250 said:

Seems very strange that they would install a Monster board in a Nikola. I have my doubts. Maybe it's just how they described the replacement board?

A Monster has a 22-inch wheel. One immediate problem would be the calculated speeds would be totally wrong which would also mean the alarms and tilt-back would be meaningless.

Nope, I think you just have the latest Nikola control board.

Someone tell me why I'm wrong :confused1:

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Seems very strange that they would install a Monster board in a Nikola. I have my doubts. Maybe it's just how they described the replacement board?

A Monster has a 22-inch wheel. One immediate problem would be the calculated speeds would be totally wrong which would also mean the alarms and tilt-back would be meaningless.

Nope, I think you just have the latest Nikola control board.

Someone tell me why I'm wrong :confused1:

Here are the pictures he sent me. He called it a “monster of a board”. I assumed it came from the monster. I’m probably wrong. Sorry. 

B0F5C980-6C39-4765-B496-BFD239C5B3F0.jpeg

012A01A9-B3BF-4EB1-AD50-8A0A67E3A449.jpeg

• Like 1