WARNING: Gotway Nikola production (assembly) issue [Solved]

2 hours ago, wheelr said:

It's not an either or issue. Glue should NEVER be used anywhere near any MOSFET

I'm simply considering the worst case. That would be: the "manufacturing issue" is them changing to new, TO-247 boards while still happily using glue.

Of course I hope it's no glue + new board. Or at least no glue. Someone just needs to take their glue guns away altogether. And their silicone applicators while we're at it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Dzlchef said:

Looks like I might have a science project in my future. 

Jason is getting a batch of the newly updated control boards. I would just get one of those and be done with it.

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Jason is getting a batch of the newly updated control boards. I would just get one of those and be done with it.

Today is the first day that I’m not riding my Nikola to work or on a long ride.  So sad, now I understand just a taste of what you’ve had to endure @Marty Backe. I feel for you! 

I’ll definitely wait for a replacement board from Jason.  Hope it doesn’t take forever, but done properly with bigger MOSFETs.  We could do a board swap session then take them up overheat hill. 😁

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

The replacement boards the EWheels is getting have the new MOSFETs. EWheels customers won't have to spend any $$$

wow, this is great news!  I have a Nikola that is grounded and bought from eWheels.  Is Jason going to get in touch with us or do we need to reach out to him.  Just sucks having to wait, but hey at least they are doing something about it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jim Martin said:

wow, this is great news!  I have a Nikola that is grounded and bought from eWheels.  Is Jason going to get in touch with us or do we need to reach out to him.  Just sucks having to wait, but hey at least they are doing something about it.

I obviously can't speak for EWheels, but based on previous episodes like this, Jason will send out an e-mail to affected customers when ready. If I were to guess, I would say this will be happening the week of July 8th.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

These are the exact situations why you guys buy from Jason for a slightly higher initial cost. You are actually being taken care of. I adore Jason for what he does!

3 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Someone just needs to take their glue guns away altogether. And their silicone applicators while we're at it.

Referring to the marvellous and professional science based testing made by @Phil McLaughlin (at previous page), I would definitely confiscate all rolls of any kind of tape as well.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Phil McLaughlin said:

Thanks so much for the positive comment! The scotch tape points out just how well any legitimate thermal bonding technique works without surface contaminants. I saved the best test for last and hope to post the video tonight. I promise it will be a shorter video!

Don't promise that Phil! I'm holding out for the three hours director's cut anyway, this is slow TV in my liking.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, erk1024 said:

Great video! It also shows that a tiny modification from Gotway (using a self-adhesive type pad) would make it easy to assemble and eliminate any motivation to use a contaminating adhesive to keep the strip in place during assembly. Obviously somebody at some level should have noticed glue was going on the boards, put a stop to it, and recalled every affected unit. Gotway should hire you Phil.  ;) 

Some how I suspect working for a Chinese company is the last thing on Phil's wish list :)

Edited by Marty Backe
  • Like 1

Wow the thermal paste made a huge difference! I'm tempted to do that to any wheel by default now. Guess that makes sense (in hindsight) with how thick the standard thermal pad is, but I wouldn't have expected such a massive improvement.

How exactly are those insulating plastic pads called?

Thank you for a very good video!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Wow the thermal paste made a huge difference! I'm tempted to do that to any wheel by default now. Guess that makes sense (in hindsight) with how thick the standard thermal pad is, but I wouldn't have expected such a massive improvement.

i was thinking of these... https://www.digikey.ca/product-detail/en/56-77-11G/56-77-11G-ND/1625385/?itemSeq=296706205 i do already have a bunch of 220 specific thermal pads as well as sheets in various sizes, but strongly considering this route.. ill have to wait for sure to know about my nikola they may have switched to 247s dont know yet... hopefully in the next few days

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, Rywokast said:

i was thinking of these... https://www.digikey.ca/product-detail/en/56-77-11G/56-77-11G-ND/1625385/?itemSeq=296706205 i do already have a bunch of 220 specific thermal pads as well as sheets in various sizes, but strongly considering this route.. ill have to wait for sure to know about my nikola they may have switched to 247s dont know yet... hopefully in the next few days

These are the ones tested in the first video:

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/53-77-4ACG/53-77-4ACG-ND/1625215/?itemSeq=295984971

They have a peel-off backing and very slightly sticky so they would not move during installation even when the board and heat sink are standing on edge which I think is the easiest position to mate them up. Assembly would be super easy.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, meepmeepmayer said:

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/53-77-4ACG/53-77-4ACG-ND/1625215/?itemSeq=295984971

The question with the paste/mica job is whether it is really necessary... It did amaze me with its ability to transfer heat though.

• Upvote 3

19 hours ago, Phil McLaughlin said:

Here is the second part of my video discussing the Gotway Nikola control board inspection and rebuild. This includes one more lab test and a detailed reassembly using thermal paste coupled with electrical insulation techniques. @Nils nailed it; I ended up publishing the director's cut.

Most importantly, now that I have finished documenting this thermal issue and its solutions... I HAVE MY NIKOLA BACK:).

Fantastic video again Phil! I think it's safe to say you now have the best assembled Nikola motherboard of any one :thumbup: Very interesting with comparison of heat pads vs the mica wafer. It's fiddly enough that I don't see any manufacturer going for it (or myself for that matter), but nice to see that it works out so well. I can only hope for more similar videos in the future, even though I of course hope you won't have any similar need to do them :)

Edited by Nils
  • Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Phil McLaughlin said:

I wanted to do a thorough coverage of the subject with close to real-life tests to see if practice actually matched theory and myth.

Yeah - Phil "Myth Buster" McLaughlin!

Fibrous Biologic Alignment Drift. :roflmao: 

F-Bad

@Phil McLaughlin , @Chriull good point about the board cavity possibly registering hotter as the heat once localized by the hot glue bottleneck in a few of the mosfets, can now escape into the heat sink.  I wonder if this is why @Marty Backe was getting such low temp. reading.(right before scoring his touchdown)

Edited by Smoother
  • Like 1