KingSong 16X 1554Wh 2200W 16*3in (Released July 2019)

Jean eRide.ie Community

6 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

If you're not used to dampening a normal high speed wobble/oscillation with favoring one leg / "carving" (or are a wheel hugger), then you might not be able to tell it apart from that.

It happened for me every time I would ride 25mph+ and try to make maneuvers at speed, especially if riding over rougher terrain.

I’ve never gone 25mph on rough terrain before. 

Should I just ground this thing until they fix it? 

2 minutes ago, Patton250 said:

Hard to say, but I think you're probably fine then.

I've put quite a few miles on the preprod 16X while we were in limbo waiting for the board, etc, so it was feasible to ride, albeit not the exact same setup as the production line coming out now.

Just take precaution, not putting yourself in 'hard braking' scenarios, and wear gear, etc, and I think you'll be fine until they roll out the firmware that finally actually fixes the issue, whenever that's gonna be.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, magicrobots said:

Hey folks, took the 16x on about 30 miles of off road trails and hard riding today.  It was an incredible performer. I had the riding mode in the medium setting for most of the time, and did find that at 25mph and above it had a jittery feel to it.

Then I switched to experient and the wheel feels solid as a rock. I've only gotten it up to about 27mph as I was on a pretty bumpy crushed gravel path but the wheel felt AMAZING.

Climbing very technical trails with large (helmet sized) rocks and huge roots the wheel jumped over them all eagerly. I am absolutely in love.

I didn't try to reproduce Kuji's hard acceleration -> hard deceleration but I did go up and down huge hills and did some drops (nothing huge, maybe 2 - 3 feet tops) and had no issues.

The wheel did make an AWFUL noise at one point, but we found there was a stone stuck between the wheel and the housing so it was going berzerk trying to accommodate the new variable in the system.

Got some nice scratches from crashing into boulders or over stone walls. Developing a nice patina - but the shell held together wonderfully - not fragile as far as I can tell.

If you want to see some footage there's a little bit on my instagram story @magicrobots.

:roflmao:

Loved your report. But if a 3 foot drop isn't huge, then I'm at a loss :)

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Patton250 said:

Ride below 24 mph until they have a fix, enjoy your new wheel.

If you want to go 25+ pull out your KS18xl or Nikola.

• Upvote 1

I wonder what the mechanism behind the oscillation is. The wheel seems to have delayed balancing (possibly aggravated by the softer ride modes with their own delay) in these fringe situations*, which leads to a self-amplifying oscillation instead of to a stable, level equillibrium = self-balancing.

I wonder how Gotway fixed this/never had this (one firmware bug aside) and Kingsong will fix it. Do they know the mechanism that is causing this? Is it fixed by some heuristic attempts, or can they guarantee the problem can't happen again because the exact reason is known?

(* Situations: the accelerate-brake maneuver for the 16X, a bump for the ms3 bug, and also a bump/extra demand on the batteries on the V8)

edit: maybe it's this:

Wikipedia PID controller

The use of the PID algorithm does not guarantee optimal control of the system or its control stability (see § Limitations of PID control, below). Situations may occur where there are excessive delays: the measurement of the process value is delayed, or the control action does not apply quickly enough. In these cases lead–lag compensation is required to be effective.

Some processes have a degree of nonlinearity and so parameters that work well at full-load conditions don't work when the process is starting up from no-load

Or vice versa. Maybe the quick/strong change in lean is what causes the oscillation to start.

Wikipedia lead-lag compensator

A lead–lag compensator is a component in a control system that improves an undesirable frequency response in a feedback and control system.

Edited by meepmeepmayer
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

:roflmao:

Loved your report. But if a 3 foot drop isn't huge, then I'm at a loss :)

I guess coming from onewheeling where people are doing full body height drops like madfolk, I had to include that qualifier. 3' certainly feels big to me!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, magicrobots said:

Here's the included charger spec. Looks like it's 1.5A. It still gets insanely hot.

IMG_2446.jpg

oh lol I was going by mikes video he started the charger was 2.5... guess he read the wrong thing.. well that's lame

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Kuji Rolls said:

So to help clarify from my side, it is limited to HARD acceleration followed by immediate braking. Ive cruised at top speed followed by hard braking without any problems. So, braking isnt the issue, its the hard acceleration (much more preventable). Kingsong has been pushing out new firmware updates and made vast improvements to the motor control in the last month, so i believe that this will be a simple firmware update soon. A hard hill climb demanding the same power didnt result in this problem. 

Other than this motor control problem, the 16X has been a blast to ride. 

@Kuji Rolls  Thank you man for both you work on this, and the clarification.   That video is insane!

(And I'm loving the KS16X so far).

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Mike Paolini said:

Second day of riding the KS16x, and I have to say I'm happy with it.   My plan is not to push it too hard and leave extra room for stopping so I don't have to break as hard as Kuji - at least until we get some official word on this.

Popped a new, short summary with my thoughts from the first 20 miles up as well, and tried to hold it to about 10 mins for those that are inclined.  

If you're a WheelLog user, does it connect to the wheel and does it show the proper battery level?

56 minutes ago, CampDylan said:

I’ve been copying & pasting all pertinent information into my”EUC” folder in OneNote

I had always done something like this and at some point I forgot. :facepalm: Thanks for the memory....I'll start again right away. :thumbup:

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Jon Stern said:

These are exactly the kind of unexpected issues that arise from late changes in a prosuct"'s development process.

When people applauded the change from a 2kW motor to a new 2.2kW one, I warned that this was risky. Maybe this new instability that Kuji has found is not related to the new motor, but certainly the earlier oscillation in the prototypes was.

Absolutely correct.. I made the same comment about the late change the motor. As a Head Of QA, I know first hand the issues that can arise from late scope change, especially to key components.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Unventor said:

A huge thank you for the testing and feedback. 

How you where able to walk off that incident is pretty impressive. 

I suspect you knew it might come to show. But still impressive rider skills (hats off). 🎩😁

Quite the athletic move by him indeed. 

8 hours ago, Mike Paolini said:

Second day of riding the KS16x, and I have to say I'm happy with it.   My plan is not to push it too hard and leave extra room for stopping so I don't have to break as hard as Kuji - at least until we get some official word on this.

Popped a new, short summary with my thoughts from the first 20 miles up as well, and tried to hold it to about 10 mins for those that are inclined.  

Well done.  I agree with absolutely everything you said. I think the pedals are the best of all my of wheels. It’s very fast and very nimble. It does carve very well also. Plus it does look just plain awesome!!!!!   I’ll be glad when they get the battery percentage fixed though. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Kuji Rolls said:

So to help clarify from my side, it is limited to HARD acceleration followed by immediate braking. Ive cruised at top speed followed by hard braking without any problems. So, braking isnt the issue, its the hard acceleration (much more preventable). Kingsong has been pushing out new firmware updates and made vast improvements to the motor control in the last month, so i believe that this will be a simple firmware update soon. A hard hill climb demanding the same power didnt result in this problem. 

Other than this motor control problem, the 16X has been a blast to ride. 

I have a hard breaked mine from 31 mph down to zero also with no problems. Although I’ve never really tried to accelerate like you do. I don’t think I could anyway. You really know how to take off. :-) 

The 16X that wiped out you were using was that a brand new one with the latest firmware like we all got this weekend?  Someone said you filmed that Saturday. Thanks