THE VIDEO THREAD!

dpong

Any plans to pick up a Pebble watch?

@novazeus You definitely have a good point, and I totally understand where you're coming from.  These wheels are in their infancy, and our actions can help dictate what third party observers think of them and how law-makers want to determine their legality and place in society.  Gas powered 1000 cc motorcycles are forbidden to be ridden on sidewalks and pathways.  That makes sense.  What if there was a single wheeled, self-balancing, gas powered singlecycle invented by Kawasaki?  Should they be allowed to ride on sidewalks and pathways?  What if there was a Ninebot Z with a tire that looks like it was taken from a mini-motorcycle coming out soon - where should that be allowed to be ridden?  The lines are not always clear.  I think if these were ridden with care and consideration of others then sure, but you know there's always going to be that one guy... :rolleyes:

I'm not going to judge Ron's choice of riding area since I don't know the circumstances where he lives.  Like in NYC, traffic apparently goes pretty slowly so people can ride around in the middle of the streets?  Maybe that's normal and accepted practice there.  We see tons of videos with skateboarders and EUCs zipping around everywhere, even riding backwards on the sidewalk close to pedestrians.  Maybe in Miami late at night when there's no traffic, it's similar to NYC?  I suppose it's similar to how drones are starting to become regulated.  The tech came out so quickly that people didn't realize the dangers that they could pose.  Soon came the brainiacs who wanted to fly them close to airports, and the near misses were reported.  Here they are illegal to fly anywhere near an airport, over traffic, in parks, etc.

I can see how poor judgement and accidents can lead to a crack down occurring which we all want to avoid, but you know sooner or later it's inevitable.  Fun's fun until someone wants to prohibit this tech and define where they are forbidden.  Hopefully Ron and any of us will not make that mistake and be the straw that breaks the camel's back.

Edited by Hunka Hunka Burning Love
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

What if there was a Ninebot Z with a tire that looks like it was taken from a mini-motorcycle coming out soon - where should that be allowed to be ridden? 

yeah i think segway with as much skin as they have in this game, definitely see what’s coming, as i posted in another topic i started, “the future of euc’s”, where they are marketing the z10 offroad and their urban wheel is a 12.4 mph powerhouse s1. 

without the government getting their cut, ie tag registrations, taxes on fuel, licensing etc, there’s zero incentive for a politician to care. euc’s will never have a lobby like the nra, and many in my country want to change our constitution because of a bunch of crazy people killing people with guns. killing people with vehicles and alcohol is ok though. 

all u gotta do is follow the money. our little group has none.

i can’teven buy a noise suppressor for my 45 without waiting a year and paying a $200 tax stamp for it. all it does is keep my ears from ringing for a week if i pop a coyote or something. still pretty loud.

• Like 1

You want to know what Mor-Ron's motive was? It was to provide more content for his "Mor-Ron's World" YouTube channel. and drive up the hit count and subscribers.  He is a self-promoter.  Nothing special about that on YouTube, it's the new gold rush, but just like in a real gold rush, 95% of people make nothing.  Mor-Ron's trying to be in the 5% so he's putting out sensational video to boost him up the scale.  Did he plan that fall? No way.  If you've ever come off an EUC at speed, you would never intentionally do it again.  He dislocated his left shoulder.  Did you notice how he couldn't use it in the closing scenes?

He was filming a high-speed pass, not unlike many others on YouTube and/or posted here.  But he messed up.  Anyone with a bit of dignity and sense would have left that part out, but seeing as Mor-Ron sees fit to post in the same video, riding the wrong way down one-way streets, and running stop signs, his determination to post content overrides his sense of propriety, if he even has any.

If you don't think the actions of one idiot can ruin it for everyone, think again.  As I mentioned in another thread a while back; another Moron, named Dell Schantz was so reckless as a powered paraglider pilot (still is) that he single-handedly got Powered paragliding banned from the entire Oregon coast. When I flew in Texas, flying at the coast was 98% of our flying, because sea breezes are the best air to fly in (no bumps).  If that had happened in Texas, people would have been looking for him with guns.  I knew no pilots from Oregon, but I bet they were very unhappy.

Mor-Ron is our Dell Schantz (or at least one of them).  If you haven't given him a piece of your mind, you're part of the apathetic crowd, that waits for someone else to do what needs to be done.  If you haven't told him off, don't whine when EUC are banned where you live.

Edited by Smoother
  • Like 3

17 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I think we need to take a step back, take a breath, and realize that this was a terrible accident that could happen to anyone (where are @nomad and @EUC GUY:whistling: ).  Ron admitted to his mistake in the video, and he was well geared up thankfully.  The difficulty hearing beeps at high speed is one of the reasons I think having a gentle/moderate tiltback can still be useful in these situations.  I'm sure he's learned his lesson the hard way.  Maybe if the people at Gotway see the video they might be more inclined to revamp their app and firmware to incorporate more safeties for those people who just have to test the limits of their wheels.

What do they say, those who live in glass houses should not throw stones?  :innocent1:  I'm just glad he's alright, the Porsche was unscathed, and lessons were learned.  It could have been worse like ending in a death, permanent disability, damage to expensive property, injury to a child bystander watching the Tesla careening towards them out of control... :blink:  Gotway really needs to work on some sort of permanent, difficult to pass speed barrier to keep the rider safe by default.  It always seems like Gotways are the ones failing when you do a search, and that has given them a bad rep.  I tried searching for a King Song faceplant / top speed fail video, but guess what?  There are none.  Well, except for that one Russian dude, but we won't mention him.  :whistling: 

I think Gotway in their attempt to stay on the cutting edge of producing speedy EUCs should improve on their mandatory safety protocols in their firmware rather than relying on users to set limits prudently.   There's a reason why I can't turn off the tiltback on my Ninebot.  They want to keep me as safe as possible within the wheel's capabilities.  The average rider may not know about torque curves, reserve speed requirements, basic physics, battery characteristics, etc so they may not know that a bad setting could be disastrous.  Gotway needs to ask themselves do they really want to be known as the brand that has the most dangerous crashes on Youtube?  How many more videos or stories do we need to hear before they wake up and emphasize safety over speed?

Reveal hidden contents

But you have those riders who threaten to never buy a Gotway if they implement anything that resembles a restriction on the wheel, like @Marty Backe.   Jason’s poll was good on if you would buy gotway if they restricted the speed.  It shows the majority 90% feel restriction is a good thing.  I think gotway should go with the majority and try to keep their riders from hurting themselves.  

I don’t see it as being a restriction and I don’t see it affecting how Marty rides. He rides below 25mph anyway, why would you care if gotway restricted it to 30mph if you only ride at 25mph.   I don’t get it.  

There are reasons for protective measures.  There is a reason we require people to wear helmets while riding a motorcycle or seatbelts in a car.  We protect the stupid.  There are always those who think they are invincible and it will never happen to them.  

I don’t know who the other handfull of people are who are opposed to any restrictions on the wheel but I think if gotway makes their wheels safer, they would get more people buying their wheels.  That is the only reason I don’t buy more of there wheels.  I’m sure others choose kingsong because of the same reason.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, eddiemoy said:

I don’t know who the other handfull of people are who are opposed to any restrictions on the wheel but I think if gotway makes their wheels safer, they would get more people buying their wheels.  That is the only reason I don’t buy more of there wheels.  I’m sure others choose kingsong because of the same reason.  

I wouldn't mind safer speed.  Maybe a KS18s is in my future.  That's safer speed right?  King Song philosophy and Gotway speed.  Ruling out the 18L because like @Marty Backe desires in a wheel,  my next wheel will be first cousin to the Energizer Bunny, it will just keep going and going.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Smoother said:

I wouldn't mind safer speed.  Maybe a KS18s is in my future.  That's safer speed right?  King Song philosophy and Gotway speed.  Ruling out the 18L because like @Marty Backe desires in a wheel,  my next wheel will be first cousin to the Energizer Bunny, it will just keep going and going.

The KS18S has a good max speed of 50kmph.  More than most would use.  

4 hours ago, Smoother said:

You want to know what Mor-Ron's motive was? ...  If you haven't told him off, don't whine when EUC are banned where you live.

I can't speak for what his motivations are, but it's no crime to want to have a popular Youtube channel.  I just think differently that maybe he felt it important to show others what can happen when you turn off tiltback and can't hear the warning beeps on a Gotway wheel.  I think it takes a big man to confess to his mistakes and show the humiliation of his accident to others so that they might learn from it.  I didn't watch his entire video very closely, but at one point I saw that he in no way was blaming the wheel for the failure.  I think he likely was quite relieved that his wheel didn't hit the Porsche or injure a bystander.  The cup is half full!  :efef927839:  Stop drinking it.  It ain't a smoothie, Smoother.  I do recall someone trying to ride up over a sidewalk who ended up almost crashing into a tree or garbage container.  :whistling:  Accidents do happen.

All I'm saying is give the guy a break and maybe the benefit of a doubt.  It's easy to jump all over someone without getting to know who they really are or what they are about.  You never know, he might one day join this forum, be one of the nicest guys, and end up becoming your bestie.   But who knows, maybe you're right - he could be the next Dell Schanze of the EUC world ruining it for everyone.  I just see that he was well geared up and followed some general guidance commonly mentioned on these forums to turn off the first two alarms and disable tiltback.  He failed in hearing the third alarm which was basically his downfall (pun intended).  I've seen other riders in NYC, San Fran, etc riding through red lights, dodging around cars, and riding pretty recklessly :blink:, but I don't know their area.  After watching Casey Neistat's videos, it seems like the streets are people's playgrounds to do as they wish for the most part since it's all concrete and asphalt there.  Haven't you seen people blowing by pedestrian crosswalks making people stop in the middle of the road while the EUC rider rolls by?  I think that sort of thing is more of a red flag as it shows no respect for people crossing the street in a crosswalk.

Burn that bridge if you must, but think about how many people he likely has saved working as a paramedic.  And trust me - that job is not one you want.  :shock2:  First responders to any accident, fire, crime scene, murder, assault, ugh... they deserve our respect.  Where's the love?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I didn't watch his entire video very closely,

I did.  From the macho  "look at me I'm bad ass" intro all the way to the "buy my meaningless hoodie" ending,  I suggest you do the same.

EDIT.  Let's say he is a really nice guy and his intentions were only good.  Now that more than one person has explained to him the harm this kind of video will do, don't you think "Mr. Nice Guy" would take it down immediately?

Edited by Smoother

1 hour ago, GoinPostal said:

Woo Hoo!

Great video!  Nice neighborhood! Wished you would have paused at the corner of the FJ Cruiser. I miss that car! 

40374035174_94b120e9c7_b.jpg

Edited by Rehab1
  • Like 1

Okay, I watched Ron's video again in its entirety, and it didn't really change my opinion that much.  The merch stuff is pretty standard, and I think you mentioned before that you've never heard of Logan Paul so that could explain the anti-merch stance.  :rolleyes:  It's what Youtubers do.  Logan's videos, while entertaining on a pretty low level, are just one big commercial plug for his merch. 

The riding on the wrong side of the road in front of the police car - yeah that's just bad form, but it's not the first time I've seen people do some crazy things.  It looked like he was just doing circles around the block somewhere late at night where there weren't many people so he took some liberties.  Yes, zooming through stop signs is a low brainer, but I've seen some San Fran riders and NYCers blow through red lights so I guess it depends on the area?  Maybe the crossroad was blocked off, or he knew there would be no cross traffic.  In any case, I could be making up excuses for his actions and trying to defend his character all day, and while arguing on the internet is very rewarding for me :w00t2:I'll concede that you could be very right in your position and judgement, but I'm probably even righterMore right.  And rightly so!  :sleep1:

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I can't speak for what his motivations are, but it's no crime to want to have a popular Youtube channel.  I just think differently that maybe he felt it important to show others what can happen when you turn off tiltback and can't hear the warning beeps on a Gotway wheel.  I think it takes a big man to confess to his mistakes and show the humiliation of his accident to others so that they might learn from it.  I didn't watch his entire video very closely, but at one point I saw that he in no way was blaming the wheel for the failure.  I think he likely was quite relieved that his wheel didn't hit the Porsche or injure a bystander.  The cup is half full!  :efef927839:  Stop drinking it.  It ain't a smoothie, Smoother.  I do recall someone trying to ride up over a sidewalk who ended up almost crashing into a tree or garbage container.  :whistling:  Accidents do happen.

All I'm saying is give the guy a break and maybe the benefit of a doubt.  It's easy to jump all over someone without getting to know who they really are or what they are about.  You never know, he might one day join this forum, be one of the nicest guys, and end up becoming your bestie.   But who knows, maybe you're right - he could be the next Dell Schanze of the EUC world ruining it for everyone.  I just see that he was well geared up and followed some general guidance commonly mentioned on these forums to turn off the first two alarms and disable tiltback.  He failed in hearing the third alarm which was basically his downfall (pun intended).  I've seen other riders in NYC, San Fran, etc riding through red lights, dodging around cars, and riding pretty recklessly :blink:, but I don't know their area.  After watching Casey Neistat's videos, it seems like the streets are people's playgrounds to do as they wish for the most part since it's all concrete and asphalt there.  Haven't you seen people blowing by pedestrian crosswalks making people stop in the middle of the road while the EUC rider rolls by?  I think that sort of thing is more of a red flag as it shows no respect for people crossing the street in a crosswalk.

Burn that bridge if you must, but think about how many people he likely has saved working as a paramedic.  And trust me - that job is not one you want.  :shock2:  First responders to any accident, fire, crime scene, murder, assault, ugh... they deserve our respect.  Where's the love?

Reveal hidden contents

It looked like a well made video, two police cars for safety, the streets closed down.  Stuntman filming a scene, so what?

• Like 1

Sure, I'd show it as an example of what irresponsible riding and poor settings on a Gotway while accidentally pushing it beyond its limits can lead to, but I would first show some of the fine examples of respectful riding as the counterpoint.  I would emphasize that the context of the location needs to taken into consideration.

Riding on the wrong side of the street, blowing through stop signs, and losing control of one's vehicle and endangering pedestrians or property would be grounds for fines just as it would for cars, motorcycles, bicycles, etc.  City council would then have both sides to reflect upon and create appropriate guidelines for enforcement.  There's usually more than one side to an issue so why not present them all?  I think thoughtful consideration of the various issues at hand would be seen as a responsible, thorough presentation.

Maybe the mods can move these "Ron" related posts to The Off-Topic forum so we do not unintentionally emasculate the original intent of this thread.  :whistling:

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, eddiemoy said:

But you have those riders who threaten to never buy a Gotway if they implement anything that resembles a restriction on the wheel, like @Marty Backe.   Jason’s poll was good on if you would buy gotway if they restricted the speed.  It shows the majority 90% feel restriction is a good thing.  I think gotway should go with the majority and try to keep their riders from hurting themselves.  

I don’t see it as being a restriction and I don’t see it affecting how Marty rides. He rides below 25mph anyway, why would you care if gotway restricted it to 30mph if you only ride at 25mph.   I don’t get it.  

There are reasons for protective measures.  There is a reason we require people to wear helmets while riding a motorcycle or seatbelts in a car.  We protect the stupid.  There are always those who think they are invincible and it will never happen to them.  

One of my primary guiding principles in life is liberty. Let me do what I want as long as I don't infringe upon the liberties of other people.

So don't tell me that I have to wear seat belts, where a motorcycle helmet, etc. I don't need the government to protect me. And certainly don't tell Gotway to make their wheels slow like KingSong :D

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

One of my primary guiding principles in life is liberty. Let me do what I want as long as I don't infringe upon the liberties of other people.

So don't tell me that I have to wear seat belts, where a motorcycle helmet, etc. I don't need the government to protect me. And certainly don't tell Gotway to make their wheels slow like KingSong :D

And definitely don't tell him how to use his grammer... She's even more vocal than Marty!   :D

Edited by The Fat Unicyclist
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

The liberalist/libertarian principle is: freedom up to the point where other peoples freedom or safety from harm is infringed upon. That is how i try to look at the world, and why I'm allergic to the knee-jerk reaction to prohibit or limit stuff.

OTOH I'm also a realist and pretty pragmatic: 

Our place in this world as EUC-riders have not been firmly established - which is a problem.
Only personal experience of how easy things go from exhilarating to bloodcurdling will make you realise for a fact the dangers of riding on the limit - that is also a problem.
A single accident at the wrong time, in the wrong place, where bystanders are seriously hurt, may well be the tipping factor - that is a huge problem.

So if all makers built final warning security features into their EUCs that couldn't be turned off or circumvented, I would not exactly cry my heart out.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Don’t tell gotway to make their wheels safe like king song’s? Now that they have implemented some throttling when the battery is low, are you never going to buy another gotway ever?  

How dare gotway throttle their wheel when the battery is low?  They should just give their riders a healthy dose of faceplantitis.

If I was gotway, I wouldn’t care what one percent of their riders want.  I would care what the bulk of the riding community wants.  If companies did business to please the 5 people and neglect the other 95, they would be out of business.  Not good business practice. 

Not everyone gets into an accident.  But we don’t need everyone to get into an accident to learn you need safety.   

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I watched a 360fly video of a Blue Angels flyby. The short video is impressive

I went out for a sunset ride with my 360fly.....and was passed by a bicycle rider. The too low light video shows the bike rider passing me on the Gotway Monster....if you look hard the bike is behind....then aside....then in front of the camera:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Well, When something bad happens and they outlaw EUC's; that will be infringing on my liberty to own one. 

• Like 2