THE VIDEO THREAD!

dpong

Inmotion also reduces mandatory tilt back as battery level decreases. It is not a severe reduction though. 30kph at full battery. 25kph (I think) at low battery. Apparently this starts reducing speed at 40% battery but I think it starts at higher levels. When I do a balancing charge to max capacity  the wheel is like a rocket compared to my usual 80% max charge. Also has a high power draw at speed alarm that sounds when you hit a bump near max speed.  No user configurable alarms though. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

Sorry,

but thats just wishfull thinking that you have ;-)

On all GW you can set the tiltback to whatever you like between 3-48kmh...or you can leave it off.

And thats a fixed value then...there is no automatic!

What you mean and describe is just the VERY low battery warnings and tiltbacks that gets you off the wheel to save the battery...These tiltback are also set to a fixed values...

KS has another philosophy, 3d Alarm and tiltback can not be turned off....

For example:

You set last (3rd)Alarm to 38kmh and tiltback to 40kmh...when battery is depleting under 40% these both alarms are automaticily adjusted going down proportional to the battery.

Examples:

on 30% battery the 3rd Alarm comes off at 34kmh and tiltback at 36kmh

on 25% battery the 3rd Alarm comes off at 32kmh and tiltback at 34kmh....and so on and so on...

GW doesn't have that Feature.....

They just have the 80% Alarm, which  is proportional at least

(On older models even that alarm was only set to a fixed kmh value, so they got better here)

i agree. but the fixed tiltback value at low battery definetly saves me from speeding at inapropriate battery level

fixed or automatic 

automatic would be best. but atleast there is something

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, WARPed1701D said:

Inmotion also reduces mandatory tilt back as battery level decreases. It is not a severe reduction though. 30kph at full battery. 25kph (I think) at low battery. Apparently this starts reducing speed at 40% battery but I think it starts at higher levels. When I do a balancing charge to max capacity  the wheel is like a rocket compared to my usual 80% max charge. Also has a high power draw at speed alarm that sounds when you hit a bump near max speed.  No user configurable alarms though. 

Did you remember the 35kmh mod for V8?

This also has proven all you said here. The V8 -with app modification- was able todo 35kmh(more than 35 not allowed by Firmware)...and was was going down proportional to 30 with the battery lower than -i guess- 90%.

So yip, Inmotion also implemented some smart automatics.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

Did you remember the 35kmh mod for V8?

This also has proven all you said here. The V8 -with app modification- was able todo 35kmh(more than 35 not allowed by Firmware)...and was was going down proportional to 30 with the battery lower than -i guess- 90%.

So yip, Inmotion also implemented some smart automatics.

I did apply the wheellog 35kph limit to my wheel (actually I did 33kph). Not so as to ride that fast but to allow riding up to the rated 30kph without the gentle feathering up of the pedals due to stock tiltback limit. The mod made no difference at my usual 80% charge levels so that also confirms a progressive reduction of very high speeds at anything but full battery.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, eddiemoy said:

As far as I know gotway doesn’t do the throttling due to battery voltage.  I know the 80% warning is always there though.  

I'm not positive what's meant by "throttling" but I can say definitively that the Tesla will reduce your maximum speed (via beeping and/or tilt-back) as your battery level decreases.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Shad0z said:

hmm i have been looking at the gotway luffy. Maybe even to get it as a second wheel. cheap. Compact. And if i get the model with smaller battery i could take it on plane.

and also just as a back up wheel.

but it also looks like a blast to ride when its 10 inch and so light

would you reccomend it?

im not only a speed devil

I would stay away from the Luffy. It's a slow and under-powered wheel. The Mten3 is very much like a shrunken Tesla. The Luffy is like a shrunken generic $300 wheel.

• Like 3

Definitely egonomics goes to King Song for the win.  Coming from a Ninebot it's been tough getting used to riding a boxy shaped wheel.  I'm still waiting for my calf guards to arrive to see if that helps.  @eddiemoy you must have legs like mine!  I wish Gotway had more of an inwardly curved top area. 

As Marty has mentioned in past posts you can set the Gotways so they perform relatively safely.  Whether it should be possible or not to disable safety measures is up for debate.  Me, I don't think users should be allowed to set them to allow accidental failure.  The wheel should always have a good amount of reserve torque to keep the rider safe keeping in mind various situations (acceleration, slope, rider weight, etc).  I've got my tiltback set at 45 kph, but I am going to set it lower to test how it feels like just to be prepared when it activates.  I don't know if it's a sudden or gentle ramp up.  I doubt I will ever ride that fast in the future.

Maybe I'll be changing my mind if I end up with blown MOSFETs, but I don't plan on climbing really steep hills any time soon.  I don't like the idea of needing to open up my wheel for repairs either, but something just drew me more towards the Tesla for some reason.  @esaj how are you liking your KS16's?  Would you consider swapping for a Tesla?

I still think though that a simple firmware update and careful settings in the app could address some primary concerns.  Maybe if the wheel was given more of a chance, it might not be that bad.  How many kilometres have you ridden on it?

Edited by Hunka Hunka Burning Love
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, Smoother said:

Nah! I'll leave that to you; besides,you don't seem to need any help;). Kudos, BTW for keeping your cool.

i’m not an attorney but most of my friends for the last fifty years, male and female, have been in that business. flotus is on a campaign against cyber bullying, so i try to be very careful on what i say. i wouldn’t want some forum member to go shoot up his or her high school and blame me because i was mean to him or her.

btw, i had a very nice afternoon yesterday with a very nice washington dc attorney for a few hours. fortunately she wasn’t billing me. i shudder to think what her firm bills her hours at. when she arrived i was playing with this forum and i told her what i was discussing. of course she agreed with everything i said regarding the exposure of riding euc’s. we didn’t talk about that for more than two minutes and then moved to more important stuff.

while touring the ranch, saw the three youths i ran off a couple of weeks earlier trespassing and fishing in the creek next to the water’s edge. called the sheriff on them this time. also saw this guy about a 100 yards from where they were fishing. about an eleven foot bull gator. also, which was really weird, a five foot gator, leisurely strolling through one of my high and dry pastures. the cows chased him off when they discovered him. Bob was going nuts. he wanted that little gator, bad.

20180325_172449

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I would stay away from the Luffy. It's a slow and under-powered wheel. The Mten3 is very much like a shrunken Tesla. The Luffy is like a shrunken generic $300 wheel.

Let’s not forget my old Luffy did make it up a 20 degree grade. She was panting but still alive at the end. :)

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

Let’s not forget my old Luffy did make it up a 20 degree grade. She was panting but still alive at the end. :)

But from what you and others have said, I would never be able to ride the Luffy like I do the Mten3, right?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, KingSong69 said:

Sorry,

but thats just wishfull thinking that you have ;-)

On all GW you can set the tiltback to whatever you like between 3-48kmh...or you can leave it off.

And thats a fixed value then...there is no automatic!

What you mean and describe is just the VERY low battery warnings and tiltbacks that gets you off the wheel to save the battery...These tiltback are also set to a fixed values...

KS has another philosophy, 3d Alarm and tiltback can not be turned off....

For example:

You set last (3rd)Alarm to 38kmh and tiltback to 40kmh...when battery is depleting under 40% these both alarms are automaticily adjusted going down proportional to the battery.

Examples:

on 30% battery the 3rd Alarm comes off at 34kmh and tiltback at 36kmh

on 25% battery the 3rd Alarm comes off at 32kmh and tiltback at 34kmh....and so on and so on...

GW doesn't have that Feature.....

They just have the 80% Alarm, which  is proportional at least

(On older models even that alarm was only set to a fixed kmh value, so they got better here)

This is on my tesla btw, I don't have any stats to back this up, but last week I was leaving the office to head home and I had forgot to charge my wheel as I do every 2-3 days and it was at 30-40% I thought that'll be enough to get me home. I started off fine, about 3-4 mins into my not very long 11 min trip home I can hear the beeps happening a lot earlier than usual, okay not surprising but then the wheel starts feeling like my feet are being pushed up at the toes, a very very weird feeling I might add as i'd never experienced tilt back before and was 99% sure i'd turned it off in the app. Sure enough I countered my speed and slowed down I was only doing around 20mph at the time and it lowered my toes back down, but on every hill on the way home it did the same making me wonder if i'd actually make it, so I spent the rest of the journey going around 10-15 mph to make it back.

I've since gone back in to the app and re-clicked disable tilt back but it definitely did work on the tesla and was definitely related to available battery level/power.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Cannings said:

This is on my tesla btw, I don't have any stats to back this up, but last week I was leaving the office to head home and I had forgot to charge my wheel as I do every 2-3 days and it was at 30-40% I thought that'll be enough to get me home. I started off fine, about 3-4 mins into my not very long 11 min trip home I can hear the beeps happening a lot earlier than usual, okay not surprising but then the wheel starts feeling like my feet are being pushed up at the toes, a very very weird feeling I might add as i'd never experienced tilt back before and was 99% sure i'd turned it off in the app. Sure enough I countered my speed and slowed down I was only doing around 20mph at the time and it lowered my toes back down, but on every hill on the way home it did the same making me wonder if i'd actually make it, so I spent the rest of the journey going around 10-15 mph to make it back.

I've since gone back in to the app and re-clicked disable tilt back but it definitely did work on the tesla and was definitely related to available battery level/power.

I actually hope your description means that GW have cleaned up their act. On a EUC that is reasonably safe to ride, that is the behaviour I would expect: gentle tilt-back to remind you that your batteries are not capable of delivering the energy you're used to have.

If you start your ride at ~35% and go at 20mph, every corner or small incline takes a lot out of the battery. You get voltage drop and the effective power available goes down below that of your charge at rest. The battery controller is of course designed to not let you take more out of the battery than what is safe(-ish) - and while cutouts are scary, you really don't want to know how scary a battery fire is. The risk for battery mishaps is greatest when fully charged and going downhill, overcharging the batteries - or when out of charge and forcing the batteries to give more than they've got.

If your batteries are overloaded, they rise in temperature. If the temp goes beyond ~95°C/~200°F, there is a real risk for a temp/chemical feedback condition where the heat becomes self-sustaining and rise until the batteries start venting. The electrolyte is highly flammable and contains hydrocarbons and pyrophoric metals. If it reaches the flash-point they start acting like a Christmas sparkler burning at temperatures that makes the surrounding batteries light up sympathetically. What is left of your EUC after that happens is probably not even worth saving. And you better hope there is nothing else around that can catch fire.

So be happy is your EUC is smart enough to actually warn you that it won't give you more power. That way you can actually modify how you ride and get home safely without crashing.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

But from what you and others have said, I would never be able to ride the Luffy like I do the Mten3, right?

Luffy lacks power, responsiveness and pedal height so your correct that some of your moves would be a challenge. I may have to pick up Luffy from my grand-daughter and give it a try again. With my luck I would probably break something else.  :wacko:

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Cannings said:

But they let you still have a cut out when the battery is reasonably full?  Strange behavior.  So no restrictions when battery is more than 30%?  Allowing someone to do the most damage at falling off at 35+ mph?  If it is true and @Marty Backe have also  described this behavior, it seems to be a step in the right direction.  But they should do it where it counts on the high speed side where people could die.  

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Scott Henley said:

:furious::furious::furious:

This video is posted all over FB and gaining views on YouTube . I’ve gone on his FB posts and asked him kindly to remove the video. He might see this as “cool” or “informative “ or just a way to get seen, it’s none of these. It’s down right stupidity. FB and YouTube are gigantic social platforms viewed by millions of people . This video paints us all in a bad light . Look at how other countries are already cracking down ! Here in the US we are fortunate to not have any strict laws being imposed upon us right now . But videos like this can make that all change drastically. Blowing through a stop sign while swerving all over the road and damn near crashing into a Porsche is not how I want this sport portrayed to the general public ! I’m so angry right now . This guy has no clue the harm he could be doing . And you know...maybe nothing will come of it . But damn Ron , use some common sense . 

End rant .

I agree with you.  Right now everyone is curious when we ride by and don’t have a bad image of us, but a few can ruin it for us quickly.  I would say that Gotway allowing the users to disable safety features and refusing to limit the wheel at the top end will ultimately put an end to this free riding we are all enjoying.  It just takes one person getting seriously hurt due to a cutout at high speed or dying from it to ruin it for all of us.  Just like when the battery fires started happening on the hover boards.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, eddiemoy said:

But they let you still have a cut out when the battery is reasonably full?  Strange behavior.  So no restrictions when battery is more than 30%?  Allowing someone to do the most damage at falling off at 35+ mph?  If it is true and @Marty Backe have also  described this behavior, it seems to be a step in the right direction.  But they should do it where it counts on the high speed side where people could die.  

It felt to me like a "WE DONT HAVE ENOUGH POWER FOR THIS CAPPPNNN" type situation where as at the top speed cut outs I would suggest aren't lack of battery/power but more of "HOLY FUCK YOUR GOING TO FAS......" and your current goes too high. I mean personally I don't go over 30mph and keep and eye on my speed but I do cruise along with the alarm going off at that speed, but my 30mph stints aren't massively long stretches as usually I come to a turn, bump, crossing that I have to slow for.

35 minutes ago, Scott Henley said:

:furious::furious::furious:

This video is posted all over FB and gaining views on YouTube . I’ve gone on his FB posts and asked him kindly to remove the video. He might see this as “cool” or “informative “ or just a way to get seen, it’s none of these. It’s down right stupidity. FB and YouTube are gigantic social platforms viewed by millions of people . This video paints us all in a bad light . Look at how other countries are already cracking down ! Here in the US we are fortunate to not have any strict laws being imposed upon us right now . But videos like this can make that all change drastically. Blowing through a stop sign while swerving all over the road and damn near crashing into a Porsche is not how I want this sport portrayed to the general public ! I’m so angry right now . This guy has no clue the harm he could be doing . And you know...maybe nothing will come of it . But damn Ron , use some common sense . 

End rant .

i agree.

i ride at high speed too... but not at full speed in the god damn city?? he is a little crazy.. and also "FULL Speed" is supposed to be there is emergency situations.. :facepalm:

i ride high speed. not full speed. i need to be able to avoid sitiuations with a little speed boost at times.

but thats just not possible when the rider decides full speed is cruising speed..  :facepalm:

a well needed rant 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Shad0z said:

i agree.

i ride at high speed too... but not at full speed in the god damn city?? he is a little crazy.. and also "FULL Speed" is supposed to be there is emergency situations.. :facepalm:

i ride high speed. not full speed. i need to be able to avoid sitiuations with a little speed boost at times.

but thats just not possible when the rider decides full speed is cruising speed..  :facepalm:

a well needed rant 

Absolutely! Don’t get me wrong . I didn’t just buy a 2000w msuper because the larger motor is “safer” I bought it Bc it’s FAST and I fully intend to use all of that power and speed . But not like this ! The guy is a danger to himself and EUC as a whole . That’s just my humble opinion though . 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Scott Henley said:

Absolutely! Don’t get me wrong . I didn’t just buy a 2000w msuper because the larger motor is “safer” I bought it Bc it’s FAST and I fully intend to use all of that power and speed . But not like this ! The guy is a danger to himself and EUC as a whole . That’s just my humble opinion though . 

I have ranted about exactly the same as you....

You could see on his first Tesla Review that it will not be Long that he is crashing! And now he is trying to make some bucks of "Respect the beep" Hoodies???

He better should have printed "respect my brain" on it!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

You could see on his first Tesla Review that it will not be Long that he is crashing! And now he is trying to make some bucks of "Respect the beep" Hoodies???

respect the beep is pointless. he needs to put on "respect the sanity"

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

Yeh, trying to monetize on the “accident” kind of makes it not an accident.  Makes it seem like it was staged. 

• Like 3

On 3/25/2018 at 1:04 PM, KingSong69 said:

find a forum for miserable old men who hate everything. This forum is for euc enthusiasts

wait, i thought this forum was for enthusiasts?

ron is certainly enthusiastic.

• Like 2