THE VIDEO THREAD!

dpong

6 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

After seeing this video it's clear that you will never quit riding :thumbup: Good song choice :)

Aren't you glad that the Mten3 exists? Such a fun slow speed (though we both know it's not a slow wheel) wheel.

Yes your correct. Too much fun! The Mten3 is a blast . Or should I say the Mtenesla being I installed Tesla’s pedals.:D

6 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Was this "auto-tracking" or did you convince Mrs Rehab1 to get on the back end of a tripod for you?

Autotracking with the DJI gimbal. If my wife were recording the ride you would only see one scene... the camera flying through the air towards:roflmao:my face.

Edited by Rehab1
  • Like 3

On 3/29/2018 at 8:52 PM, Smoother said:

When a Gotway crash video, or a King Song crash video results in a ban somewhere, it won't be just that brand banned, it will be ALL eucs.  So while the dangers of riding a Gotway at cut out speed do not directly affect owners of other wheels, owners of all wheels will be effected when the ban comes in.  And just for the record, I'm not attacking Gotway in this instance, I'm attacking Mor-Ron's decision to post this video.  Anyone can have a crash, posting it on YouTube is another matter.

Only that not posting a vid doesn't make the problem seen in the vid go away. Censorship (or imposed self-censorship) usually isn't what the good guys have in mind to make the world a better place.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Mono said:

Only that not posting a vid doesn't make the problem seen in the vid go away. Censorship (or imposed self-censorship) usually isn't what the good guys have in mind to make the world a better place.

some stupid person crashes on a euc at full speed with safety features disabled. films it. and it becomes what people know about eucs even though 90% of all euc rider. or more dont act that way. the most stupid gets the most attention. and when talking eucs and bans and rules. its an unfair game

thats why you also hear about ISIS on the news and not about 

• Upvote 1

I've been out of the EUC forum loop for awhile.  I got into mining crypto for the last 3 months and been busy building rigs.  Anyways, went on Spring Break with the family.  Here's a video of Charleston, SC.

I never have time to edit so it is what it is.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Mono said:

The problem remains that (as you call them) stupid people exist and won't go away and hence unicycles will crash at maximal speed with all safety features disabled if they can be disabled. A majority in this forum seems to be in favor to develop an App which can increase a factory-given maximal speed limit of 30km/h. How smart is that, to think that they want it but that they surely would never use it or surely never crash when using it, let alone not considering other people using it? It is the kind of smartness that lets me sadly enough disengage from this forum. But I digress...

There is a big difference between disabling safety

and disabling safety and driving unresponsibly

and then that is the picture that gets painted of what a euc is

yes i can happen

but there is so much more to euc riding than crashes

Edited by Shad0z

11 hours ago, Mono said:

The problem remains that (as you call them) stupid people exist and won't go away and hence unicycles will crash at maximal speed with all safety features disabled if they can be disabled. A majority in this forum seems to be in favor to develop an App which can increase a factory-given maximal speed limit of 30km/h. How smart is that, to think that they want it but that they surely would never use it or surely never crash when using it, let alone not considering other people using it? It is the kind of smartness that lets me sadly enough disengage from this forum. But I digress...

The problem is a bit more complex than that IMHO. It comes with the whole geometry of the concept. The same geometry that makes the 16mph limit for electric bicycles here in Sweden impossible for EUCs. If you "limit" the speed without tilt-back or somesuch, the only result will be a crash.

We can have alarms, we can have tilt-back, but there is absolutely NOTHING that prevents anyone from ignoring either if they actually want to. Even a tilt-back can be more or less ignored if your feet are supple and you learn to "ride it". Ideally a EUC never loses power however much you demand out of it, and however fast you go. In reality the max speed is limited by available voltage compared to induced (counter-) voltage from the motor (generator). And the maximum power is limited by available torque, which is a function of max-power, speed and remaining voltage surplus. So you CAN ignore the safety features at your own peril. I seem to have lost count on the number of people I've seen that seem to think the laws of nature don't apply to them.

Personally I think the "last alarm" when there's less than maybe 10-20% left of max power should neither be optional, nor easy to ignore. The piezo tweeters we use now are far too easy to miss when there's wind and traffic noise. That is the reason I wouldn't even dream of disabling the tilt-back. Rather I've learned to handle it without losing balance.

I have no problems with all the rest of the alarms/tilt-backs being optional, but that last one that warns you that you're really close to the limit shouldn't be.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Scatcat said:

We can have alarms, we can have tilt-back, but there is absolutely NOTHING that prevents anyone from ignoring either if they actually want to. Even a tilt-back can be more or less ignored if your feet are supple and you learn to "ride it".

I don't know, I find "ignoring" tilt-back basically impossible. It may depend on the wheel, but that's the case for me on two different wheels from two different brands whose tilt-back I have extended experience with.

If you have the opportunity, set the tilt-back to a very low speed, say 5km/h. Then try to go faster by all means possible. I would be very surprised if you write back that you had no problem to go above and beyond 10km/h in this setting. In my personal experience this seems just impossible. Tilt-back is just a surprising effective speed limiter.

EDIT: BTW, I can't see any technical reason why tilt-back can only respond to speed. Tilt-back could also set in if the reserve power drops below a certain value. The reserve power depends on the speed and the current power consumption (which depends on gradient, acceleration, rider weight, wind,...) and the battery status. Even better, tilt-back could set in whenever the reserve time drops below some value, e.g. below 2.5 seconds. The reserve time would be the time after which the reserve power dropped below its limit given the current operating conditions remain constant. All this can in principle be more or less trivially obtained and computed.

Edited by Mono
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Shad0z said:

should cars then also be banned because you can drive faster than the speed limit if you want? no

Well imho there is no need for a road car to go 200mph when on public road. On a racetrack it is another matter and if you hold a race licence to verify you understand and have trained to handle the speed and power of a potential deadly weapon. Either for yourself and surroundings. Most seem to forget their surroundings and only think of their own handling. But by surroundings I think of what others expect to happen in their near traffic area around then.

Speed is a dangerous thing beyond 20kmh or 15ish mph. The body is not build for this. What people think of funfactor is a totally different matter.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Unventor said:

Speed is a dangerous thing beyond 20kmh or 15ish mph. The body is not build for this.

so that means its dangerous for me to sprint???

i can run 25-30 kph...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Shad0z said:

i can run 25-30 kph...

Ever considered the Olympics? 2012 100m qualifying average was 33kph. About 8kph faster than most of even the fastest non-athlete mere mortals can attain but only 3kph faster than you.

2 hours ago, Shad0z said:

i can run 25-30 kph...

Well you might easily sprint faster, my point is that most traffic research indicate that accidents above 20 kmh are potential risk to have fatal consequences. This is why in EU discussions are to lower inner city speed limits for traffic (and cars) to 30kmh.

34 minutes ago, Unventor said:

Well you might easily sprint faster, my point is that most traffic research indicate that accidents above 20 kmh are potential risk to have fatal consequences. This is why in EU discussions are to lower inner city speed limits for traffic (and cars) to 30kmh.

i mean yeah sure. but you can also die at 0kph 

you can die at all speeds

12 hours ago, WARPed1701D said:

Ever considered the Olympics? 2012 100m qualifying average was 33kph. About 8kph faster than most of even the fastest non-athlete mere mortals can attain but only 3kph faster than you.

i have always had pretty strong leg muscles. but i think my extreme flatfoot holds me down from running far.. and my weight is 90kg so to go in the olympics is very optimistic for me :P

and olympics its 33kph "average" mine it is "peak" so it was probably only half a second i was able to go up to 30kph i will calculate my average sometime i get enough willpower to go for a run -_-

Edited by Shad0z

10 hours ago, Scatcat said:

Personally I think the "last alarm" when there's less than maybe 10-20% left of max power should neither be optional, nor easy to ignore. The piezo tweeters we use now are far too easy to miss when there's wind and traffic noise. That is the reason I wouldn't even dream of disabling the tilt-back. Rather I've learned to handle it without losing balance.

I have no problems with all the rest of the alarms/tilt-backs being optional, but that last one that warns you that you're really close to the limit shouldn't be.

Preach it brother!