King Song S18 Discussion

Phong Vu

9 minutes ago, Ben Kim said:

The last few pages are tough to read. Seems enthusiasm for this wheel has hit rock bottom! 

Don't mind me, I'm always quick to react critically. I just want to be somewhat happy with this wheel so badly. If I didnt want it to succeed as much as I do, I wouldn't care enough to be disappointed. There's just so many choices out and more on the way each day. To be fair, I havent given other manufacturers so much s**t because I'm not that interested.

• Like 1

I'm kinda surprised by the reverberations of that speedy feet review.  The only concern I had before that review was the battery size.  After the review?  Battery size.  Nothing else phased my interest in this wheel. 

I think they can figure out a fender.  EUC army showed you can get to the shock air ports by going through an opening in the structure.  I also would think the app support will improve by release.  And why have none of the other reviewers commented on that speed/brake wobble?

Will Kingsong ever send Ian a pre-release wheel again?  No matter how much he has to pay in shipping?

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, FinRider said:

I don’t think so. We are just eager to find out more and while the information is scant we just bs instead.. this thread in itself is pretty useless bc it is just a bunch of speculation on very limited information. The real discussions will begin when the 1st batch is delivered and your everyday ”average joe’s” can chime in with their own 1st hand experience. In the meantime all info here is pretty much hearsay or reviews on pre-production models. 

imho the hype for these suspension wheels are very valid. I see it as adding an extra safety net for when you hit a pot-hole or too high curb drop off that jolts your brain to never-never land. Others see it as the ultimate off-road machines. To each their own. I myself can’t wait to get one, just don’t know yet if I am willing to spen 2 grand on something unknown that we all by now know will have some early batch defects... everyone needs to judge for themselves if they can afford and are willing to take the chance to be one of the early adopters into suspension euc, fully knowing that there will be issues. This will be true for all suspension wheels, as it is an unproven technology. Next year by this time we will know which approach was smarter...

tbh i wasnt thinking this at first, but to me it seems smarter to go for the V11..... because at the worst you still have a traditional 18" wheel, except it is safer, thinner, and more well built than the ones weve had in the past.. with the S18 at worst you have an extremely heavy "less safe" 18L lol, however both of them would require extra maintenance and be more difficult to work on... i think i will have to wait to see a bunch of actual user reviews on production models as well as teardowns and maintenance videos, until then i dont think i want to be an early adopter because i never once even considered suspension, i never once thought it was something that was needed or an issue so for me the overall package has to be as good or better than current wheels with the added suspension as a nice bonus before theyll get my 2k

• Like 3

It feels like I’m living in an alternate reality after watching Speedyfeet and Kuji Rolls reviews of the S18. Do I take the red or blue pill?

I have pre-ordered the V11, but may change to S18 just for the jumping capabilities and superior suspension. First batch quality issues and range are the points holding me back from switching. The choice to switch is made all the more easier with my pre-order for the Sherman, which makes the V11 somewhat a redundant wheel for my needs now.

I really love the selection of EUCS but hate making the hard choices.

I was sad to see the very tight tire clearance with the fender. This will present a real challenge passing debris (mud, mulch, gravel), and is incompatible with the all-terrain tires (K262) we've come to love on the other 18" EUC's.

'Fender delete' sounds quite risky, as the flex cable to the motor needs it for snag protection.

Aftermarket fender business opportunity- go!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, B08AH said:

All that impartial reviewers found so far is panels coming off and fender rubbing the wheel. And Kuji focused on suspension, closed his eyes to those "known defects". That is as I see it.

f52b1f7205a680513f0c907fd7f4a675.jpg

• Like 3

Problem #1 is that tire rub.  The other stuff seemed trivial to me.  In KR's video, sounds like plastic-to-plastic rubbing somewhere with the suspension movement.

I had a DNM AOY-RC36 on my electric scooter, and it was amazeballs.

Edited by xorbe
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mango said:

It feels like I’m living in an alternate reality after watching Speedyfeet and Kuji Rolls reviews of the S18. Do I take the red or blue pill?

I have pre-ordered the V11, but may change to S18 just for the jumping capabilities and superior suspension. First batch quality issues and range are the points holding me back from switching. The choice to switch is made all the more easier with my pre-order for the Sherman, which makes the V11 somewhat a redundant wheel for my needs now.

I really love the selection of EUCS but hate making the hard choices.

I think you want to compare the speedyfeet review of the S18 to a speedyfeet review of the V11, which doesn’t exist yet. It might be when Ian gets the V11 he finds even worse quality issues with it than the S18  

Seems KR didn’t find build quality issues with either wheel, or maybe he did and he’s putting both wheels in a positive light. Either way if it’s between those two wheels makes sense to rely on the reviews from the same reviewer for comparison. Either that or wait until there are more reviews out there. 

Of note, evx and duf don’t seem to have issues with their S18 either so maybe Ian just got a lemon. 

1 hour ago, Mango said:

The choice to switch is made all the more easier with my pre-order for the Sherman, which makes the V11 somewhat a redundant wheel for my needs now.

Why does the Sherman have equivalent ride stability to the V11? Does the 20" tire act like a suspension would over rough terrain? 

14 minutes ago, Daniel Hollinghurst said:

Hi there, 

i cant find any more info on the ewheels "780Wh external battery option" for the s18.

all i've found is the 780Wh 42Volt version, which wouldn't work on an EUC since they're 84V...

This is the response I got from Ewheels.
"We do have a 780Wh King Song battery bank in stock, which if used with the S18 would get you up to 1890Wh, for $650. It would be carried in a backpack and trickle charge the main batteries.  
on some models, like the Inmotion, the moment you plug in the power, it cuts the motor. King Song permits you to charge-on-the-go. 

For the question about the rate of charge, relative to consumption, it's rated for 3A x 84v = 252W, anything excess of this & you'll be operating in 'deficit mode'. It should not affect the battery longevity at all.  "

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, chrisdab said:

Why does the Sherman have equivalent ride stability to the V11? Does the 20" tire act like a suspension would over rough terrain? 

I think @Mango's point was that Sherman can eat up the miles, and S18 can jump and dance. V11 sits in between those two.

(Sherman uses a 14" rim just like S18 and V11, so differences in stability are due to other things- suspension, battery layout, weight, ergonomics, tire type.)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Nic said:

This vid helps. Of course, its so weird how he likes it but others have small issue. FINALLY someone ran it thru a puddle then a SHOWER! Makes me feel a little less worried, tho now I wonder how biased this is? Obviously you cant fake that he was riding the hell out of it. I noticed a double chamber shock, not sure what EUCO was referring to.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mango said:

This might be partially due to a review from a retailer vs a review from an enthusiast.  If I owned a business selling, supporting, and repairing these devices I'm going to have a different lens when reviewing the product.  A retailer is going to see this through a lens of customer interaction, training, support, maintenance etc... but an enthusiast can just evaluate it as a consumer.

• Like 1

Hmm, he talks about lowering the pedals and it did not sound like he was referring to simply setting the preload on the shock.  He make it look very good, but he did comment on wobbles in the comments. He also seems to be taken with the Veteran, and ready to give up the s18 suspension for it... but of course the veteran would be even better with suspension.