New Veteran "Abrams" 22-inch Wheel

xiiijojjo

2 hours ago, yoos said:

Strange that they soldered the motor wires on the controller instead of screw mounts like with the veteran. :(

The battery wires are soldered again, too - directly beside the capacitor as before.

And all this wires are without protective heat sleeves...

• Like 1

I have mixed feelings about abrams.

Size and weight is not problem for me im big person ,well we need all wait to overheat test and incline capability.

I am not on hypetrain about S20 only think i know is i want "new" euc on spring 2022 idealy.🧙🏻‍♂️🔮

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Planemo said:

I'm really liking the 3 bolt axle fastening. Genius. No more shitty single nuts and a nice stout axle diameter and bearings without making a huge hollow bore necessary. Brilliant.

it's the same design used in latest BG wheels ;)

On 12/2/2021 at 6:20 AM, meepmeepmayer said:

Aren't these "small hollow" with no axle?

@meepmeepmayer That was exactly my understanding too, that Begode/GotWay had just downsized to a much smaller, but still hollow bore (i.e. No Axle) IIRC!

Monokoleso-Begode-Monster-Pro-28.jpg?_x_

PXL_20211010_230122362.jpg.fb5909f2eb959

Newer version of the Monster Pro was the first wheel they announced to have the "smaller hollow bore" and went down to a 6012 bearing (60x95x18), compared to the Abrams 6008 axle mounted bearing (40x65x15).

Edited by fbhb
  • Like 2

@fbhbThose are the pictures that I wanted to post but could not find:thumbup:

Unless Begode have something new, this is their current solution. Quite clearly the best overall, in my opinion - easy and robust pedal hanger attachment + no bearing problems + huge amount of space for a motor cable (even if they don't use it for a thicker cable:angry:).

But I guess are seriously thick axle like on the Abrams is the second best.

Edited by meepmeepmayer
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Unless Begode have something new, this is their current solution.

I would confidently say that this is their current system that they have been systematically swapping the original "larger" hollow core set ups to (even though with GotWay/Begode, things can often change from one day to the next!)

I also don't understand the fact they have All that extra space available to allow for much thicker motor cables, but neglected to beef them up to help with safety :rolleyes:

7 hours ago, fbhb said:

@meepmeepmayer That was exactly my understanding too, that Begode/GotWay had just downsized to a much smaller, but still hollow bore (i.e. No Axle) IIRC!

PXL_20211010_230122362.jpg.fb5909f2eb959

Cheers for that guys, I didn't actually know about that move by Begode, I haven't been following their stuff for a while.

Does look good I admit, no reason why that setup couldn't be as robust as the Abrams. As has been clearly said though, why not use the advantage to up the wire size!? Potentially the Begode setup could be better in this respect, even the EcoDrift teardown of the Abrams showed some pretty nasty crimping of the insulation due to the narrow slot in the axle. The Begode allows a lot more room. I do wonder if the bearings will hold out better than the 'old skool' hollow bores though..

• Like 2

14 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Aren't these "small hollow" with no axle? Or was there another change?

yes, basically it's the same "old axle" design with a bigger bearing (compared to old motors) and the axle substituted with a small hollow bore .

super robust and easy to work on, it's used from several months in all motors like rs-exn-m24pro, right now only the commander and the nikola use the old gen axle motor.

4 hours ago, EMA said:

basically it's the same

Ok, I can agree with that:) Stick an axle into the Begode motor and you have something like the Abrams motor. The rest is very similar. I thought you meant that Begode have axles now, so I was confused.

5 hours ago, Planemo said:

Does look good I admit

It is good! Begode are "in the news" when they do some seriously dumb shit, but that sometimes hides their seriously great innovations.

In comparison, the Abrams has an (unneeded) axle and very limited space for the motor cable, while the rest of the setup is very comparable.

-

Anyways, Abrams. The construction seems very heavy. How much weight do you think could be saved simply with a lighter construction (that otherwise does the same)? Do you think it could be a 35kg wheel? 30kg?

The cast metal board casing can't be weight effective. And I wonder if a lighter motor is possible. Any ideas?

6 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Ok, I can agree with that:) Stick an axle into the Begode motor and you have something like the Abrams motor. The rest is very similar. I thought you meant that Begode have axles now, so I was confused.

It is good! Begode are "in the news" when they do some seriously dumb shit, but that sometimes hides their seriously great innovations.

In comparison, the Abrams has an (unneeded) axle and very limited space for the motor cable, while the rest of the setup is very comparable.

-

Anyways, Abrams. The construction seems very heavy. How much weight do you think could be saved simply with a lighter construction (that otherwise does the same)? Do you think it could be a 35kg wheel? 30kg?

The cast metal board casing can't be weight effective. And I wonder if a lighter motor is possible. Any ideas?

The pedals alone must be 2-3kgs, can shave couple of Kgs with better lighter hexpedals (coughclarkcough). 😂

37 minutes ago, Rawnei said:

The pedals alone must be 2-3kgs, can shave couple of Kgs with better lighter hexpedals (coughclarkcough). 😂

lol really ? begode pedals coming at 900g are huge and super robust...

15 hours ago, Eucner said:

The 6012 bearing size is 60x95x18 mm.

Yep, definitely my typo error there! I've edited the original post now, thanks @Eucner.

20 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

:shock2:

Are you sure? >1kg per pedal seems crazy.

Considering begode hexpedals are 1kg per pedal and these are not hexpedals but solid pieces seems pretty a pretty reasonable guestimate.

• Like 1

Interesting… He doesn’t like the quality of the wheel at all. :-) Is in comparison with Sherman or V12?..

The vibration however is most likely not because of the motor - as another Russian team established recently, it was because the excessive blue goo in the tyre.

33 minutes ago, GoldenOne said:

It seems the abrams has something of an issue with cutting out when accelerating or braking in what most people would consider a 'moderate' fashion. Hopefully this gets resolved :(

Vid 1:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CXCI2SzgZ6Y/?utm_medium=share_sheet

Vid 2:

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CXBcqQpluli/?utm_medium=copy_link

Yikes. Not an overlean... a glitch! Hope it's just software.

Hopefully one of these early owners can show a video of some aggressive pendulum thrusting.
Sherman riders get familiar with the lowspeed overlean limits very quickly this way (even lightweight riders can make it dip)... interested to know if the Abrams can take more aggressive shoving, or less shoving, than Sherm.

Edited by RagingGrandpa
  • Like 1

It never fails to surprise me how such obvious issues as low speed cutout or vibration due to incorrectly installed tubeless tyre is not picked up by the manufacturer before the first shipments... :-( C'mon, LeaperKim, you almost convinced the audience you "got it" about how to do things right in terms of built quality?

I hope this cutout is coming out of the controller setup and is an easy firmware version matter... 

• Like 3