New Veteran "Abrams" 22-inch Wheel

xiiijojjo

I have the 40th produced Sherman from the factory, and the first 5,000 kms it gave me no issues, not even any squeaks or rattles. After winter riding, I did have to do a bearing change, but the only maintenance I’ve done is replacement tire, and control board burning up (my fault for doing an extreme overlean). The Sherman is rock solid reliable.

I think the Abrams will be the same. I don’t see an issue at all with the supposed use of a square wave controller. These provide more motor torque and don’t require motor tuning, so it is inline with the Abrams ethos of offroading and modularity of components.

Seated riding is easy with practice. I can ride seated on my mten3 at walking speed though not recommended. Haha.

• Like 2

From that limited first information that is out now about Abrams, I like what I see quite a lot. 

I understand it will most likely be one of the top “cruisers”, to use motorcycle terminology. But I really want to see if there’s more. “Off-road” on its side of course is wrong and ridiculous. …Or is it?… :-)

I really want to see a review of how manoeuvrable it really is at low speeds and how it behaves on dirt tracks, and finally how it looks after being dropped 10 times. ;-)

Also I am genuinely curious why Abrams’ battery capacity many seem to be so upset about. And why isn’t this concern applicable to S20 for example?

Edited by That Guy
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, That Guy said:

From that limited first information that is out now about Abrams, I like what I see quite a lot. 

I understand it will most likely be one of the top “cruisers”, to use motorcycle terminology. But I really want to see if there’s more. “Off-road” on its side of course is wrong and ridiculous. …Or is it?… :-)

I really want to see a review of how manoeuvrable it really is at low speeds and how it behaves on dirt tracks, and finally how it looks after being dropped 10 times. ;-)

Also I am genuinely curious why Abrams’ battery capacity many seem to be so upset about. And why isn’t this concern applicable to S20 for example?

The oem pads cover all that “surging passion off road” … I think it’s just a easter egg gag. Or maybe it does ride awesome on service roads. Definitely curious to see more riding videos. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, gon2fast said:

I find it a bit concerning that nobody has produced/submitted a range test yet. 

Hmm... may be because they can't get to the end of it yet? :D

Edited by That Guy
  • Like 2

Damn, I really should stop spending money - but I'm wanting the Abrams even more after watching that video. The stability of the larger wheel appeals a lot to me and the range seems like it would easily be enough for what I'd need/want.  At the speeds I'd ride it should be good for over 100km, I just don't think I'd ride further than that on any ride I'd do.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, KiwiMark said:

Damn, I really should stop spending money - but I'm wanting the Abrams even more after watching that video. The stability of the larger wheel appeals a lot to me and the range seems like it would easily be enough for what I'd need/want.  At the speeds I'd ride it should be good for over 100km, I just don't think I'd ride further than that on any ride I'd do.

Not to push you to spending money but…

With stability inevitably comes being more comfortable at a higher speed. And a higher speed means greater battery consumption. Ideally the best wheel to buy is one that you’d almost get full use out of, but never actually do right? It’s nice to always have a bit more top speed headroom to not worry about beeps; it’s nice to always have a bit more range than you’ll ever use on a single ride… something to grow into, no?

hope you’ve got enough spending cash saved ;)

Edited by Denny Paul
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Denny Paul said:

Not to push you to spending money but…

With stability inevitably comes being more comfortable at a higher speed. And a higher speed means greater battery consumption. Ideally the best wheel to buy is one that you’d almost get full use out of, but never actually do right? It’s nice to always have a bit more top speed headroom to not worry about beeps; it’s nice to always have a bit more range than you’ll ever use on a single ride… something to grow into, no?

Exactly.  I bought the RS HS because I wanted a wheel that was capable of faster than what I would ride - I've never hit 60kph on that wheel.  For range, I rarely use 50% of the battery on my RS in a single ride - typically I'll ride 20-30 km.  There has been a couple rides where I might have tried going a bit further if I had more range, but 80km real-world range would have been enough.

I have enough in the bank to buy 3 of these, but I've been trying to spend less and save more . . . but this wheel is so tempting.  I guess I should pull finger and sell off some stuff I don't need, like my e-scooter that I haven't been using.  If I got a bit of money in from stuff I sell then I would mind less the spending for a new wheel.  I'd be reluctant to sell the RS until I could try out a new wheel and know whether I'd still have a use for the smaller/lighter wheel.

• Like 2

Have just come across another unboxing and first ride video of Abrams. The commentary not in English and the motor cannot be heard because of the music, but the footage is quite clear. Beautiful machine, IMO… :-)

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

Here we call that “a road with leaves”… :P

But man the size of Abrams is just freaking… hilarious! The shell reaches above the adult rider’s knees. He has to spread his knees for turns further than one does when riding a full grown Shire. Shouldn’t the pedals be installed duck footed at 45 degrees?

I really hope the size won’t be as big of a surprise to the ones who buy the wheel online.

Indeed. Kevin is 169cm (about 5’7”), but he looks shorter on Abrams :-).

I noticed though that in one of the comments to this video Kevin said that Abrams cut out on breaking in Medium mode under a heavier and much taller rider… Hmm… Any further info about it anywhere?