New Veteran "Abrams" 22-inch Wheel

xiiijojjo

4 hours ago, fbhb said:

Abrams Motor cable housing1

This motor cable junction box should make tire changes a lot easier and faster.

Same thing with control board replacements, although I'm going to have to brush up on my soldering skills with the motor cables being soldered directly to the control board. 

10 hours ago, squirrel said:

I agree, the more I see about the Abrams, the more I'm really stoked for it. I need a wheel I can ride in wet weather, T3 certainly doesn't fit that bill.

My preorder has been in for a while, and I'm getting impatient!

However I've never ridden a Monster so I'm a bit nervous about the size/weight, but it really looks like a great cruiser from where I sit.

how can you buy a 22'' without even try it ? crazy !

find a monster and ride it !!

• Like 2

20 hours ago, fbhb said:

Just a few more of the photos of the "Modular" construction posted by Bradley Michael Spence of eevee's on Facebook (for those that don't do Facebook):

Bradley Michael Spence with stripped Abrams

Wait a minute... Are battery compartments just bolted to the frame? I wonder how easy it would be to swap them?

Edited by That Guy
  • Like 1

On 10/17/2021 at 3:06 AM, fbhb said:

Abrams Motor cable housing1

On 10/17/2021 at 7:55 AM, Asphalt said:

This motor cable junction box should make tire changes a lot easier and faster.

Seems like a kluge to me... the cable bundle has to pass thru small openings in the shell, so there's not enough room for a nice inline connector (MT60, etc). So we're stuck with cheap crimp terminals and nuts that can rattle loose.

On 10/16/2021 at 11:50 PM, fbhb said:

Abrams Controller housing2

On 10/17/2021 at 7:55 AM, Asphalt said:

I'm going to have to brush up on my soldering skills with the motor cables being soldered directly to the control board

Seems like a miss here... the large bullet (Gotway) or screw-post (Sherman) connectors could handle larger bursts of current before desoldering themselves. Future revisions get better connectors, perhaps?

And what's going on with these GX16-5 pinouts?
2 pins for battery current and 3 pins for other things? Many secrets remain...

Hmm looks like the battery cables are soldered onto the board or are those some sort of bullet connectors? If soldered will be difficult to swap the board.

15 hours ago, RagingGrandpa said:

And what's going on with these GX16-5 pinouts?

2 pins for battery current and 3 pins for other things? Many secrets remain...

The smaller cables are probably for lights and such, they just go out the same opening.

1 hour ago, fbhb said:

Abrams battery packs are sealed in individual housings and incorporated into the side panels. Photo courtesy of Afeez of e-Rides via Facebook:

Abrams Battery pack-side cover

Very nicely done!

Any idea what the wh per battery pack is? Wondering if it’ll be 4 total or if the weight is going to be off balanced like the exn. 

The move to sealed boxes is awesome, it's just a shame that by doing so it does waste some unused space within the shell. A really good use of available space (like the Z10) could cram in more Wh (and maybe make each pack 4P possibly?) but buyers of this wheel are unlikely to be bothered I am sure. Deffo a good move though, I like it! 

Given that the boxes look well screwed to the panel, lets hope that the panel is well screwed to the shell!

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Mango said:

Imagine buying any modern motorcycle and getting Gotway level of quality build and materials. No motorcycle buyer would support such a company, so why do we vote with our wallets for Gotway quality when such wheels dependability directly affects our well-being. I will support a company that strives for build quality and innovative features. I will buy the Abrams because they are doing the right things that matter. I don't care if it weighs a little more, or if the battery capacity is less than its competitors. It's all noise in the grand scheme of the EUC universe timeline. The Abrams is the closest thing to motorcycle-class transport on one wheel. It's still the very early days...

Guys want to ride 5% faster than the other riders. Nothing else matters. 

6 hours ago, Mango said:

Imagine buying any modern motorcycle and getting Gotway level of quality build and materials. No motorcycle buyer would support such a company, so why do we vote with our wallets for Gotway quality when such wheels dependability directly affects our well-being. I will support a company that strives for build quality and innovative features. I will buy the Abrams because they are doing the right things that matter. I don't care if it weighs a little more, or if the battery capacity is less than its competitors. It's all noise in the grand scheme of the EUC universe timeline. The Abrams is the closest thing to motorcycle-class transport on one wheel. It's still the very early days...

8 minutes ago, GothamMike said:

Guys want to ride 5% faster than the other riders. Nothing else matters. 

Come on guys lets be real for a moment, how many Gotways have you guys owned? Comments like these feel like someone just repeating things that someone else said that wasn't well founded to begin with.

Historically all wheels from all manufacturers have had various limitations and/or problems, Gotway however has set itself apart with superior performance and believe it or not great durability. Like Mango I dare you to go up a long steep incline on your Sherman, will you risk the motherboard burning up? Mike I can go more than 10kmh faster on my MSP High Torque model than you on your KS18 while getting more range at the same time, I've also ridden it in both rain and snow no problems. So why are you guys even bashing on Gotway for? What's your basis for that?

This next generation of wheels coming are like the first generation of wheels where all the manufacturers actually starts to listen to community and take things like waterproofing more seriously and also first generation where we start to see wheels to match Gotway performance (LeaperKim excluded), this hasn't happened before and these wheels aren't even out yet.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Rawnei said:

Come on guys lets be real for a moment, how many Gotways have you guys owned? Comments like these feel like someone just repeating things that someone else said that wasn't well founded to begin with.

Historically all wheels from all manufacturers have had various limitations and/or problems, Gotway however has set itself apart with superior performance and believe it or not great durability. Like Mango I dare you to go up a long steep incline on your Sherman, will you risk the motherboard burning up? Mike I can go more than 10kmh faster on my MSP High Torque model than you on your KS18 while getting more range at the same time, I've also ridden it in both rain and snow no problems. So why are you guys even bashing on Gotway for? What's your basis for that?

This next generation of wheels coming are like the first generation of wheels where all the manufacturers actually starts to listen to community and take things like waterproofing more seriously and also first generation where we start to see wheels to match Gotway performance (LeaperKim excluded), this hasn't happened before and these wheels aren't even out yet.

You just proved my point. I've seen GWs held together with zip-ties and duct tape. Shoddy. Almost all fires are from GW/BG. 

3 minutes ago, GothamMike said:

You just proved my point. I've seen GWs held together with zip-ties and duct tape. Shoddy. Almost all fires are from GW/BG. 

Wow you really live in a bubble.

17 hours ago, Rawnei said:

One. I refrained from purchasing any more Gotway wheels based on teardown videos and photos of its atrocious build quality that’s all over the internet. Do I need to own a Gotway to know they have terrible shells (not great durability, sorry), wood screws and highest rate of fire incidents.

Like Mango I dare you to go up a long steep incline on your Sherman, will you risk the motherboard burning up?

This makes no sense, it’s like me telling you to ride 80km/h with your MSP HT. Will you risk a cut out, dislocate your limbs, and be a meat crayon on the road?

I haven’t seen any latest wheels from Gotway/Begode/EB to believe they have improved their build quality. Have you seen Wrong Ways latest video unboxing of the EXN. Their god-awful electrical connections are a major fire risk, Adam himself pointed this out.

People who can’t debate facts (like high incidence of Gotway fires) but resort to ad hominem attacks already lost their argument.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mango said:

Do I need to own a Gotway to know they have terrible shells (not great durability, sorry), wood screws and highest rate of fire incidents.

Yes actually, first hand experience means a lot, practice weighs a lot more than theory, lots of theorycrafters on this forum that ignore real world scenarios, lots of people ride Gotways for a reason despite all their flaws.

1 hour ago, Mango said:

This makes no sense, it’s like me telling you to ride 80km/h with your MSP HT. Will you risk a cut out, dislocate your limbs, and be a meat crayon on the road?

You're telling me it makes no sense then make a ridiculous comparison, the point is that the Sherman will burn up from things that is normal use in all the other wheels, it's a major flaw, I own a Sherman myself and is very aware of this flaw.

1 hour ago, Mango said:

I haven’t seen any latest wheels from Gotway/Begode/EB to believe they have improved their build quality. Have you seen Wrong Ways latest video unboxing of the EXN. Their god-awful electrical connections are a major fire risk, Adam himself pointed this out.

People who can’t debate facts (like high incidence of Gotway fires) but resort to ad hominem attacks already lost their argument.

Nobody is arguing that they couldn't do better, you don't see me defending those things, I want good build quality from all the manufactures just as anyone else, why wouldn't I? But the fact remains that all wheels have their flaws, how many current wheels do you think are really waterproof? Not many, get water in your wheel and all sorts of bad things can happen, this is regardless of manufacturer. And don't just looking at the electronics ignoring everything else, many wheels have brittle shells that crack or deform over time if you use it heavily like off-roading or skateparks, you mention Gotway have terrible shells this is just not true at all, they hold up very well in a crash or when dropped or what not, why do you think most people choose a Gotway wheel for off-roading? Of course any wheel will probably get damaged if you crash spectacularly at high speed then it doesn't matter if you have an Abrams or whatnot the force of impact will be too great and the whole argument is moot.

Edited by Rawnei
  • Like 1