New Veteran "Abrams" 22-inch Wheel

xiiijojjo

The only other 22” wheel is the Monster V3 at 1845wh or 2400wh at 84v. 2700wh competes with the EX.N.

Veteran Sherman used to be the reigning champ of battery size/form factor so the Abrams is a step backwards here. If they could fit 3200wh or made it 126v then it would be the best wheel of 2021/2022.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mango said:

L'unica altra ruota da 22" è la Monster V3 a 1845wh o 2400wh a 84v. 2700wh compete con la EX.N.

Il veterano Sherman era il campione in carica della dimensione della batteria / fattore di forma, quindi l'Abrams è un passo indietro qui. Se potessero montare 3200wh o renderlo 126v, allora sarebbe la migliore ruota del 2021/2022.

3500 watt motor with 2700 wh battery ... 22" wheel..I am afraid it will have autonomy on 90-100 km at the very limit.

My real range

my average speed is 25+-

MSP2500w speed limit 40km/h 50km 

ks16x 65km

Sherman V2 speed limit 43km/h 95km

Abrams i am very scary/curious about real range i hope biger diameter help with range positively.

S20 only belive in miracle realisticaly i expect under 50km range for me.

ExBull future tell i think be ralisticly under 95km but i hope.

Next spring maybee new euc.

If Abrams outperform or same range like sherman is instabuy for me.

(and i hope all new euc have working overheat protection)   

47 minutes ago, supercurio said:

The thing tho... Sherman has 240 cells, each with 12.42 Wh capacity. Total: 2976 Wh.

I always thought it was 3108Wh (240 x 3.7v x 3500Mah).

It's splitting hairs over the difference, but was just curious.

1 hour ago, Planemo said:

I always thought it was 3108Wh (240 x 3.7v x 3500Mah).

It's splitting hairs over the difference, but was just curious.

https://lygte-info.dk/review/batteries2012/Sanyo NCR18650GA 3500mAh (Red) UK.html

Measured capacity:

• 3345 mAh at 0.2A (12.275 Wh / 2946 Wh total)
  • 3264 mAh at 1A (11.850 Wh) - more realistic for an EUC chill ride on Sherman

Then the Sherman discharges the cells only down to 3.15V, so that's even less capacity.

No 3500 mAh cell type, including Samsung 35E and LG MJ1 store 3500 mAh in tests, it's mostly a marketing name it looks like, not representative enough to get a sense of the actual capacity.

Same with the 2700 Cells called 50 something, like the Samsung 50G: closer to 4800 mAh in practice, 50E does slightly better.

I noticed that it's also most interesting to check out the Wh measured instead of mAh as the Wh value take into account voltage sag, therefore represents the actual amount of energy delivered best.

Edited by supercurio
  • Like 3

49 minutes ago, supercurio said:

Measured capacity:

• 3345 mAh at 0.2A (12.275 Wh / 2946 Wh total)
  • 3264 mAh at 1A (11.850 Wh) - more realistic for an EUC chill ride on Sherman

Yeah I was aware that the Sanyo cells rarely (if ever) hit 3500mah, but I assumed that none of the other wheel *batteries would hit spec either (as you have alluded to in your post), so it effectively keeps the goalposts the same distance apart I would have thought.

*edit: I appreciate that those which run down to 3v moves the goalposts quite a bit, but that isn't many 2700wh wheels afaik...

Edited by Planemo
  • Like 2

One thing that I'm really impressed with on the Abrams is the 15A charging capability, officially stated by LeaperKim.

I love long distance road-trips on my Sherman. On the road (like at home) I always charge at 10A, which is the recommended max by LeaperKim. I know some people charge at 13A, but I prefer to be extra careful with my V1. It's my baby.

A full charge on the road takes me 2h 45m to reach 99.5V. I never balance on a charge stop, only at the end of the ride. Would take forever, and it's not necessary. 

I calculated that at 2700 Wh / 15A, that same full charge to 99.5V would take just over 1h 30m, almost twice as fast!

So even though the Abrams might only give me 85% of the range of the Sherman (all else being equal, the Abrams goes down to 3.10V instead of 3.15V, and a torque motor could be more efficient), it charges in an hour and a half! Which is a decent stop by the way: it's the last hour of charging that seems to last forever on the Sherman!

The Sherman lets me go 85 km on a mix of 40 and 55 km/h, and then I have to charge for 3h. I think I'd kind of prefer to stop every 72 km and charge for only an hour and a half! 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Patrick Robert said:

One thing that I'm really impressed with on the Abrams is the 15A charging capability, officially stated by LeaperKim.

Agreed, a 15A charge is very handy, and could be brilliant on long rides but I have to question just how big a 100v 15A charger will be. My 6A is big enough to carry as it is!

That said, I find the Sherman will give me a nice (meaning not at 10mph) 100 mile ride with one charge stop of around 2 hours or 2x 1hr which I can kinda live with. Stopping twice during the day for an hour a time is OK with me, but I can appreciate that if you are doing a lot more than that in a day you could be sitting around a lot.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Planemo said:

My 6A is big enough to carry as it is!

I always carry both 5A chargers, the J1772 adapter, an extension, and a 1.4 kg foldable high chair to recharge the rider as well. Bought a trek bag with hip support 🤣

It's actually not bad!

I've done a few 1, 2 and 3 charge rides this summer. My best one was around Lac St-Jean, 245 km. On the Véloroute des bleuets (blueberries, common in that region of Quebec). 

Edited by Patrick Robert
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Patrick Robert said:

One thing that I'm really impressed with on the Abrams is the 15A charging capability…

Exactly! I’d rather have a lighter wheel that I can charge fast! Abrams isn’t light tho… :-(

22' wheels usually has a bit less range of the same battery on 19'

it's nice to have a 22inch with 2700wh battery but i'm still wanna see this thing on a scale, if it will be into the 34-37kg range it will have a place in the market, otherwise i really  don't see a reason to buy it

Die cast from the looks of it? That process has come a long way from when I used to get die cast toy cars for presents. Other than it being a bathtub, it sure looks pretty. I wonder how it handles altitude changes—remember the early Pelican cases that you couldn't get open if you went from Denver to LA?

I agree, the more I see about the Abrams, the more I'm really stoked for it. I need a wheel I can ride in wet weather, T3 certainly doesn't fit that bill.

My preorder has been in for a while, and I'm getting impatient!

However I've never ridden a Monster so I'm a bit nervous about the size/weight, but it really looks like a great cruiser from where I sit.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, fbhb said:

Just a few more of the photos of the "Modular" construction posted by Bradley Michael Spence of eevee's on Facebook (for those that don't do Facebook):

Bradley Michael Spence with stripped Abrams

Abrams Motor cable housing

Abrams Motor cable housing1

Abrams Motor bolts

Abrams Roll bar bolts

Thank you for sharing!! I'm glad I put the deposit down day 1.. the Abrams is going to be a beast!!!!!!!!!!!  look at that damn wheel clearance it brings a tear to my eye

1 hour ago, fbhb said:

Just a few more of the photos of the "Modular" construction posted by Bradley Michael Spence of eevee's on Facebook (for those that don't do Facebook):

This is very impressive. It’s almost like that dream design we thought would come from Europe or States… :-)
Hmm…Very curious! :-)