New Veteran "Abrams" 22-inch Wheel

xiiijojjo

maxresdefault.jpg&cfs=1&ext=jpg&_nc_oe=6

In the thumbnail/start of @Afeez Kay's video it is clear just how huge the Abrams is in comparison to the Sherman, so unsurprisingly the weight increase to 45kg is understandable although not a very welcome increase to many.

The very tall metal frame construction, alloy control board housing, that massive wheel/motor assembly just has to be more solidly built than the Sherman's traditional plastic shell construction, so it should All add up to a step forward/construction advancement hopefully

Edited by fbhb
  • Like 3

Well, I think what Kevin was trying to say through all this horrible wind noise is that he liked it ("nimble" (really?), "fantastic machine")... :-)

95kph cut off though? Is it because the "learning mode" wasn't disabled?

From the build quality I picked three main negatives: plastic trolley handle holders, metal that will rust (and had some rust marks already if I understood right), and the battery connectors that are exposed to the water from the wheel and need to be further waterproofed. Plus some not very critical wood screws.

Also nice detail that the alarm speaker is integrated in the front light (so it actually could be heard when riding).

Edited by That Guy
  • Like 1

@fbhbI saw a blue material between the mosfet and the larger aluminum cast heat sink, can you take a close up picture of this ; I want to know if it’s blue silicone TIM or actually a proper Thermal pad of quality.51596907372_3744bb708f_o_d.jpg

@houseofjob do you see this?

Edited by JD212
  • Like 2

On 10/29/2021 at 12:33 AM, nowjoel said:

TIM or actually a proper Thermal pad of quality.

Interesting observation. I'd love to know the answer to this question as well.

Does anyone know the size of the thermal pad (1mm? 0.5mm? ) that is currently on the Sherman? I don't know if anyone else has tried changing the thermal pad to a better one, or use thermal paste/glue as a substitute for better temp control?

I have been known to ask dumb questions... so here we go!

With a metal box to encapsulate the mother board and metal panels with batteries attached to them, how is this wheel going to do in hot/humid environments? 

I am still getting one as that does not affect me, but dumb question off and away...

1 minute ago, That Guy said:

Unavailable.. :-(

What was in the video? Was it a review?

Plays for me.  I will try it again.

3 hours ago, Paradox said:

New video from @Afeez Kay.

I really wonder what's up with this mainboard / firmware.

It sounds like a cheap squarewave controller as soon as there's any acceleration: not a fan.
Then @Afeez Kay tries to hype it up as a feature, a mark of "Good work by Veteran".

Hoping it's not gonna become a trend, that would be so dumb - especially at the expense of a few efficiency %.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, supercurio said:

It sounds like a cheap squarewave controller as soon as there's any acceleration: not a fan.

I don't like the sound on the video either.  His response to one comment  is "The sound of the motor is sweet in person".

I hope it really sounds better in person.  If this is a sound effect that can be turned off then it's ok.  It would be a problem for me if the sound is coming from the motor and can not be adjusted.

I personally don’t mind the sound if it is not a design flaw of either the motor or the controller.

I am very curious whether Abrams is robust to handle its own huge weight. For example, will a fall on its tail bend the fender bar? And will the battery compartment not crack after just the first or second drop on the top right corner?

There's a lot of great features on this wheel. The fan-less metal heat sink compartment, large tubeless tire, sealed battery compartments, height for sitting, roll cage, overall build quality etc. That said there's some room for improvement, I'd want to wait for a gen 2 version...

As others have pointed out, the motor sounds like it's using a cheap square wave controller. That's not a good thing for efficiency, and the noise sounds horrible. The battery connector isn't waterproof according to the tear down video. The soldered on wires would preferably be connectors. Also, if they really want to increase the quality in wet weather, they could give all the steel parts an ED coating to totally prevent rust.

Edited by InfiniteWheelie
  • Like 1

I've seen videos of people riding seated on EUCs, but I just can't do it on my RS, I would have to lower my butt down way too low.  I'd really like to have an EUC that I could ride seated some of the time, this is a big plus of the Abrams.

I'm not too bothered about the noise, especially when those that have ridden it say that it sounds fine in person.

I'd like to see some full reviews and some testing on the weather resistance, I'd really like to own a PEV that is fine to ride even if there is a possibility of rain or if there might be an occasional puddle along the way.

I know there are people that have bought the very first Shermans that came out and never had any problem with them, hopefully this wheel will also turn out to be reliable from the start.

• Like 1