New Veteran "Abrams" 22-inch Wheel

xiiijojjo

20 minutes ago, Dany FeelGood said:

ABRAMS from a friend 

BEARING Problems after 40km

Wow.  What a mess.  Off road for this wheel must be indoor use only.

I wonder if this new generation of wheels without a shell will have problems with bearings.  The batteries attach directly to the frame providing no protection from water or dirt.  From the video it appears to funnel the dirt and debris toward the bearings. 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Mr Hagov states that he cannot overpower the Abrams. He can overpower the Commander but cannot with the Abrams. 

Feels more powerful than Monster Pro. 

Still feels the Abrams is a failure of a wheel. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Kekafuch said:

Still feels the Abrams is a failure of a wheel. 

I wouldn't say so yet. According to Denis Hagov some tuning is required such as replacement of sensors and hydro-isolation of bearings and motor cable. Factory can (easily if they want!) sort it in the next batch. Also the flimsy plastic overhangs can be upgraded (or even just cut off) and I wouldn't be surprised if Veteran fix or improve that, too.

The only problematic things that will have to stay with Abrams are its tall construction affecting comfort for some riders (depending on the size and shape of legs?) and the steel framing that will be damaged at impact. 

I think, despite the disappointingly avoidable cutout problem, apparent poor hydro-insulation of the bearings and motor cable as well as some specifics of the construction, Abrams (in its improved variations) may still be an attractive option for those who are thinking to get a powerful cruiser without suspension... 

• Like 1

I recently had a chance to try several wheels and undeniably the bigger the wheel the more stable/planted/smooth it feels at speeds above 25kph.

Hey, @Kekafuch, I think eevee's are in Vancouver. Surely you could try their demo?

I haven't given up on Abrams yet especially after watching a few videos and seeing all people get some sort of excitement from riding Abrams that feels genuine, I guess, something they kinda don't really explain, something you can read on their faces or hear in their voice that makes you feel they really really love riding Abrams... Even the apparently negative initial reviews (like the one by Denis Hagov and WrongWay) are followed by clear signs both guys loved riding the wheel (Denis redid his review and WrongWay showed in a few follow-up videos that Abrams is loved and is in use...) Dunno...

I decided to (try to) keep cool and see how the first batches perform before getting my next toy. :-)

P.S. Besides, in that earlier video above the range was 114km... It of course, depends on the size of the rider and it was a 12-day long exercise, not one marathon run. Still, looks impressive despite the "smaller" battery?

Edited by That Guy
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, InfiniteWheelie said:

Has there been any rumors of a bigger battery in the future? It seems like a great wheel but I can't justify a downgrade from my Sherman battery.

Nope.

Curious, what distances are you after? There are multiple reports Abrams does 100km plus of hard riding on one charge and more towards 115-120km in warmer weather and softer riding.

10 hours ago, That Guy said:

Curious, what distances are you after? There are multiple reports Abrams does 100km plus of hard riding on one charge and more towards 115-120km in warmer weather and softer riding.

I've drained my Sherman on a single ride, so I wouldn't want any less range. From experience I consider 3 kwh (the Sherman's actual capacity) to be a good milestone where range basically becomes a non issue. Of course more is always better (for power also), but for me 3 kwh is a good starting point.

If the Abrams has a true 2700 wh (not inflated like the Sherman), maybe I'd compromise a bit on the range just because I want a bigger wheel. The Monster Pro is tempting with it's huge rim and battery, but the layout/design is shit and I don't trust the quality.

Edited by InfiniteWheelie
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Kekafuch said:

Some good shots of the Abrams in this video. Also a decent flip crash and the Abrams looked like it survived just fine. 
https://youtu.be/tesDK0Jgs68?t=254

That crash at 4:15 was the luckiest possible outcome... the EUC flipped in the air and only ever contacted the tire. No indication of durability though.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dan Hillary said:

eWheels shipped my Abrams to me today, should arrive next week. I ride an EXN high speed right now, so I'll be doing plenty of testing and comparison to decide which of the two I should keep.

Looking forward to your review! (Are you planning to publish a video?)

I would love to learn about:

1. How does the torque compare with torquey wheels like KS16x? (Particularly, can it really ride uphill as easily as KS16x?)

2. Is it indeed feels "flimsy" as WrongWay complained in his unboxing video?

3. How easy is it to live with it in urban environment? Can you ride Abrams through town (start-stop at traffic, go next to pedestrians, jump up road curbs)?

• Like 3