New Veteran "Abrams" 22-inch Wheel

xiiijojjo

Finally got some good weather for riding, so I did a mini range test today. I will try to do a full range test soon. 
My riding weight is 200lbs, trail was a flat paved surface temp was mid 50s

4A148307-06EA-4549-94E1-6F24D79EDBBD.png

91BC4B0B-9239-4917-9033-693D563356B0.png

• Like 2

I decided to email Ewheels and get there opinion about the reported cutouts on the Abrams since the have access to alot more data then anyone on the forums. I asked if in their opinion they thought it was a wide spread problem and they responded as following.

This is a tricky question to answer. We've had one cut-out report from one of our customers, - and we're not really sure what caused it. For Wrong Way (Adam), something seems very peculiar with his particular Wheel, and we've followed that one to see if there's any update there (none so far). Veteran did release a firmware update that's meant to stabilize issues like these, but even so, - actually it's been perhaps surprisingly quiet on the Abrams complaints. 

At the end of the day, it's always statistical when it comes to cutouts, and quite frankly - based on only our customers/Abrams batch, this is up there with the best. 

Out of all of the Abrams Ewheels has sold they have only had one reported cut-out so far. Also because I am really convinced that something was wrong with Wrongways Abrams and I really don't buy that hitting a bump the size of that man hole cover would cause a cut out I decided to do some testing on my Abrams. There are some speed bumps that I like to hit on my RS for fun to see how much air I can get, when showing off a bit on group rides with my E-skate friends. I normally wouldn't try to jump them faster then like 25 but for the sake of proving my point I decided to try to hit them going the speed Adam was when he had his cut off. I hit the first one at 32mph (51kph) and the second one at 28mph (45kph)

I had some speed wobbles after landing from the first one so I decided to not push my luck after my first run but it felt rock solid and I didn't get any dip on either. I weigh 250lbs so I don't think most riders have to worry about hitting a manhole cover. With the 22in wheel I can barely even feel stuff like man hole covers. I can't fathom that a bump as minor as a manhole cover would cause any modern wheel to cut out unless you are riding past the beeps (other then on something like the mten3) 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, JoeBean said:

More like 250g of crap with the little bits and puddle of juice

poKsm4wsjpn2sdWwFj

Was your wheel shipped with the tire inflated or deflated? I notice that some wheels on YouTube were deflated out of the box. I wonder if that has any effect in the slime becoming solidified? Mine was shipped inflated and the tire spins up balanced looking. 

52 minutes ago, Kekafuch said:

Was your wheel shipped with the tire inflated or deflated? I notice that some wheels on YouTube were deflated out of the box. I wonder if that has any effect in the slime becoming solidified? Mine was shipped inflated and the tire spins up balanced looking. 

I got it inflated from the retailer but they performed the cut out tests on it before sending it to me so I don't know for sure.

It was extremely unbalanced with that thing in it

Edited by JoeBean
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Silver said:

I decided to email Ewheels and get there opinion about the reported cutouts on the Abrams since the have access to alot more data then anyone on the forums. I asked if in their opinion they thought it was a wide spread problem and they responded as following.

Out of all of the Abrams Ewheels has sold they have only had one reported cut-out so far. Also because I am really convinced that something was wrong with Wrongways Abrams and I really don't buy that hitting a bump the size of that man hole cover would cause a cut out I decided to do some testing on my Abrams. There are some speed bumps that I like to hit on my RS for fun to see how much air I can get, when showing off a bit on group rides with my E-skate friends. I normally wouldn't try to jump them faster then like 25 but for the sake of proving my point I decided to try to hit them going the speed Adam was when he had his cut off. I hit the first one at 32mph (51kph) and the second one at 28mph (45kph)

I had some speed wobbles after landing from the first one so I decided to not push my luck after my first run but it felt rock solid and I didn't get any dip on either. I weigh 250lbs so I don't think most riders have to worry about hitting a manhole cover. With the 22in wheel I can barely even feel stuff like man hole covers. I can't fathom that a bump as minor as a manhole cover would cause any modern wheel to cut out unless you are riding past the beeps (other then on something like the mten3) 

Nice, did you record data to csv maybe? I'm following the issue closely, gathering data, plotting it and comparing to see if maybe there are some symptoms that would signal something is wrong.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mordraug said:

Nice, did you record data to csv maybe?

What's that? I just have the data euc world tracks but I can run another test if you want to add mine to your data

On 3/29/2022 at 11:04 PM, Silver said:

What's that? I just have the data euc world tracks but I can run another test if you want to add mine to your data

Euc World have that little "file" icon in top right with "csv" written on it. You can use it to start recording all the readings to the file, it's separate from the tour recording.

• Like 2

On 4/2/2022 at 6:22 AM, Mordraug said:

Euc World have that little "file" icon in top right with "csv" written on it. You can use it to start recording all the readings to the file, it's separate from the tour recording.

@Mordraug here is a short bit of CSV data from a short ride going up a steep hill and hitting some bumps. It's been hot out so It was a bit slower as I wasn't wearing my motorcycle jacket but hope it helps with your stuff.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/10oAkqDrSI6zUbxqSqqWGiBCfX9ybc-O9/view?usp=sharing

On 4/2/2022 at 6:23 PM, Paradox said:

My theory seems accurate that when we first hear of a new wheel they are never quite available until 9 months has passed, and that’s if you are in on the first batch. Lots of waiting in this game.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I think jpd made a fair assessment. I just hit 150 miles also and haven't had any problems. I did do an update and it made a difference just like he stated.  I'm 265lbs and don't push it as it's my first wheel but I love it 😁

Edited by Brianr058
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

It seems that these abrams random cutouts are due to bad quality hall sensor, according to a video from euc sale. Issue supposedly fixed with a software update but thats just a bandaid. Question:is it possible to replace the hall sensor? And does it need to be one from Veteran? 

At 26:30

Edited by Ronin Ryder
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Ronin Ryder said:

Question:is it possible to replace the hall sensor? And does it need to be one from Veteran? 

Denis said in an earlier video that EUC sale would be replacing there abrams hall sensors with there own sensors. So no, it wouldn't need to be one from veteran. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Now that I've been riding the Abrams for a while I've noticed that when I'm riding near the safety margen alarm in euc world (around 43mph at medium battery) I will sometimes get some type of motor vibration. It goes away if I back off and slow down a little. It's hard to describe but it's definitely not speed wobbles, it feels like the pavement suddenly changed and has bunch of tiny bumps. 

Has anyone else experienced this? Is it something to do with getting close to over powering the wheel? I'm not going fast enough to set off the wheels alarm just euc world's which is more conservative.

20 minutes ago, Silver said:

Now that I've been riding the Abrams for a while I've noticed that when I'm riding near the safety margen alarm in euc world (around 43mph at medium battery) I will sometimes get some type of motor vibration. It goes away if I back off and slow down a little. It's hard to describe but it's definitely not speed wobbles, it feels like the pavement suddenly changed and has bunch of tiny bumps. 

Has anyone else experienced this? Is it something to do with getting close to over powering the wheel? I'm not going fast enough to set off the wheels alarm just euc world's which is more conservative.

Yep, I've felt that. I chalked it up to some combination of the square-wave controller that it's my understanding that the Abrams has and some resonant frequency that the stock tire makes at that speed. I'll be curious to see if it still happens when I change to the Pilot Street 2 street tire.