New Veteran "Abrams" 22-inch Wheel

xiiijojjo

Abrams is a sleeping giant.

Not many people realize how ground-breaking the design and ethos Veteran is bringing to the EUC table. Everyone is too short-sighted focusing on its battery capacity, speed or size. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Mango said:

Not many people realize how ground-breaking the design and ethos Veteran is bringing to the EUC table. Everyone is too short-sighted focusing on its battery capacity, speed or size. 

As much as I want to believe this it's clear it's got some teething issues with their first batch here. Now that I appreciate what a 22+" wheel brings, I feel like the options out there are so limiting. Just the monster pro, v3 or abrams, and the qc issues out of the gate make it a gamble to buy as of right now.

I hope they get them sorted, but they've got their work cut out for them before I buy one now.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Mango said:

4 hours ago, Denny Paul said:

As much as I want to believe this it's clear it's got some teething issues with their first batch here. Now that I appreciate what a 22+" wheel brings, I feel like the options out there are so limiting. Just the monster pro, v3 or abrams, and the qc issues out of the gate make it a gamble to buy as of right now.

I hope they get them sorted, but they've got their work cut out for them before I buy one now.

I agree with you guys, these larger wheels are the future but the quality/consistency just isn't there yet. There are so many benefits to large wheels such as; more range, power, stability, safety, comfort, seated riding etc. 

The Abrams has a 17" rim, Monster Pro 18". There are motorcycle tires widely available up to 19" and 21" rims, so we're not even at the limit yet. I'll be keeping an eye out for high quality large wheels in the future, but I won't be buying the current group.

Edited by InfiniteWheelie

How are you guys finding the pedals? I'm spoiled by spiked pedals as grippy as the Murland Fish plates on my EXN, and I was finding the Abrams spikes grippy ENOUGH...until I tried to ride in snow boots. Then these pedals felt like sheet metal; the spikes didn't make contact at all. 

What can we do? There's no after market support I'm aware of since the pedal axel and pedal hangar design looks unique to me.

The size is great, it's the grippiness I'm having issues with.

Edited by Dan Hillary

41 minutes ago, Dan Hillary said:

What can we do? There's no after market support I'm aware of since the pedal axel and pedal hangar design looks unique to me.

Contact Chris Chaput (abec11@gmail.com). He's making custom machined pedals that have hanger attachments unique to each wheel. I doubt he has Abrams yet, but if there's interest I'm sure he'll get right to work.

5 hours ago, Dan Hillary said:

How are you guys finding the pedals?

I'm really enjoying the spike pedals big step up from my stock pedals on my RS. They are just grippy enjoy that I feel planted but I can still move my feet around when I ride and how big they are is nice too. Road in some rain for the first time today and they are a step up from grip tape for sure.

The more I've been riding it the more I've been enjoying it in general. It's really suited for the 35 and 40mph roads with no bike lanes I'm stuck with where I live. The width has already started to feel fine now that I've taken the stock pads off.

1248981285_PXL_20220221_2249058932.thumb.jpg.da288be0dd5b1df4df22bea4eb8135b1.jpg

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Kekafuch said:

This cut out looks a bit concerning as there wasn’t any warning and the speed was not high.

considering that this youtuber was one of the few with a thoroughly positive review, this is especially disappointing news 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jpd said:

Any word on why the abrams cutout? I was feeling pretty confident on mine, but now I’m not so sure 

I am hoping it was something simple as a rock jammed in the wheel and then it got knocked out when the wheel tumbled so they didn’t see what happened. I would have taken the Abrams out for some quick evening rides but I don’t plan to until we hear back from EUC Adventures. Sounds like they sent the wheel back to the retailer or Veteran today. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kekafuch said:

I am hoping it was something simple as a rock jammed in the wheel and then it got knocked out when the wheel tumbled so they didn’t see what happened. I would have taken the Abrams out for some quick evening rides but I don’t plan to until we hear back from EUC Adventures. Sounds like they sent the wheel back to the retailer or Veteran today. 

Let’s hope it was something like that. I will probably avoid riding mine as well until we have some answers. I’ve had an unexplained cutout before on an exn. I have been a little hesitant to trust a wheel since then, that’s why I bought the abrams thinking it was a better quality wheel 🤞 

• Like 1

Good candidate for a mitigation bumper like Splyce guard I think, it seems it needs a little protection from itself, given its weight?

I got the local blacksmith make up a ‘constructable/adjustable’ variation on this theme for my Sherman, hopefully not too heavy duty, so it ‘gives’ after taking the bump, assuming the velcro will keep it in place, not that I’m a flyer, but anyhow…

D0D99084-13E5-479B-A06C-3080FA7C9DD5.jpeg

Edited by Freeforester
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just a thought on the EUC Adventures cutout…

Veteran Sherman controller would cut out if the 5V power was shorted by pulling/inserting the connector while the power is on. 

There are 2 videos from EUC Upgrades that bring attention that the rear Abrams light is not water sealed. The latest video where he breaks down a crashed Abrams has water inside the rear light.

I am wondering if EUC Adventurers cutout could be caused by water inside the rear light causing a short and the controller to reset? He says the EUC was able to turn on and self balance afterwards. 

Interesting comparison today riding Abrams 2700wh and Sherman 3200wh. Both full charged and riding together. 70km ride at 29.4kmh avg speed. At the end of the ride, Sherman was 85.5V and Abrams 85V. Rider on Abrams is also the heavier rider but close. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mars Bless said:

Daaaammmnnn!!!! Hope your ok bro. That seems pretty bad. 

I'm fine, I had slowed down a lot by the time it cut out. It tore open my back pocket and scraped up my wallet but I was unscathed. The wheel was fine too other then the damage to the back roll bar nothing else on it touched the ground since I was holding on to it the whole time as I slid to a stop.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Silver said:

I'm fine, I had slowed down a lot by the time it cut out. It tore open my back pocket and scraped up my wallet but I was unscathed. The wheel was fine too other then the damage to the back roll bar nothing else on it touched the ground since I was holding on to it the whole time as I slid to a stop.

was this cut out from user error or malfunctioning hardware? Sounds like over torquing the wheel. Did the wheel beep before cutting out? Of course curious about the firmware on the wheel and where the wheel is purchased from? 

44 minutes ago, Kekafuch said:

was this cut out from user error or malfunctioning hardware? Sounds like over torquing the wheel. Did the wheel beep before cutting out? Of course curious about the firmware on the wheel and where the wheel is purchased from? 

Depends if you consider over torqueing the wheel user error. It didn't beep before cutting out and technically it wasn't a cut out in the since it didn't turn off it was just overpowered and dipped to the point that I was touching the ground. It then made the beep for passing the cut off angle and stopped trying to balance. Not that that matters as it was already too late at that that point anyways.

From my tests there is no alarm for over torqueing the wheel it's only based on speed, because nonmatter how much I over power it and make it dip in both acceleration and breaking it doesn't beep. I've tried to use the EUC world safety margin alarm in hopes that it will trigger on over acceleration but I've had no luck with that as well. 

I'm on version 2.0.02 and it got it from ewheels in there first batch.

• Upvote 1

What you describe @Silver is like the Sherman alarms. Only the high speed inverter load or PWM at 70% is implemented.
All the other scenarios: over torque, over current, over temperature scenarios are not there.

Anything else doesn't make the wheel beep, so if you accelerate or brake too hard it'll just dip (or burn) It's fine most of the time on the Sherman which has loads of torque at all but the slowest speeds, but not that great on the Abrams.

Edited by supercurio
  • Upvote 1

On 3/10/2022 at 6:26 PM, Silver said:

Was doing a speed test after printing some new pads in TPU and I decided to do a heavy breaking test from 40mph so I could have a reference for...

Excellent data point, thanks for sharing and glad you're unharmed!

May I ask your riding weight?