New Veteran "Abrams" 22-inch Wheel

xiiijojjo

I'm anxious to hear your thoughts, mine is supposed to be here tomorrow but weather here isn't so good and my work schedule sucks so it might be a few days before I get to ride it.  Oh, your outer box looks pristine, FedEx here is pretty rough on my packages, fingers crossed it shows up looking half as good as yours does.

And of course it shows up today with shipping damage, thanks FedEx.  My rear frame above the mudguard is bent down and touching the tire, I hope the frame isn't one piece for ease of repair, just my luck...

C72A2Dc.jpg

0RUBGVt.jpg

Edited by RetroThruster
  • Sad 1

I’m leaning towards the Abrams as well, other contenders being the S20 and V13. Perhaps going to wait for second batch this time around from Leaperkim not be the first to buy like I did for the Sherman.

Wrongway rides his Abrams and posts a lot of IG stories about it. Not sure when his review is coming out, but he’s had issues with the bearings, but otherwise loves the wheel.

Yes, @Jpd and @Kekafuch! :-) Three things I would love to understand about Abrams.

1. One practical aspect for me personally is hill-climbing. I really need to understand how it deals with hills - both going uphill and breaking downhill. I mean, I know, it cannot perform on a par with a 16" wheel... (Or... Can it?... :-))

2. And I know it would be a very unfair comparison, but I would like to understand your subjective impression from how smooth the 22" Abrams is compared to S18 on a paved road and in a moderate off-road. Maybe I am just trying to compare impossible but weirdly, my personal choice at the moment would be between Abrams and S20.

3. And the other thing I would like to understand whether it really feels flimsy? Loose plastic, knocking noises inside? And it's not in terms of the build quality but rather construction, overall shell design, etc.

I am a little bit perplexed with the couple of negative Abrams unboxing videos. The first was by Denis Hagov who rubbished Abrams in strong terms (and then deleted the video and replaced it with a much more positive one). And the second was a somewhat negative unboxing video from WrongWay where Adam's biggest concern was about the flimsy construction. There has never been a following video from WrongWay (maybe it is still coming, of course) but there was a heavy comment about Abrams in another video by WrongWay something like "Abrams feels like a prototype, not a finished product, not clear what LeaperKim were trying to achieve"... 

I am curious whether Abrams is just not yet "understood" and may still be the most underrated of the new EUC's on the market partially because it was introduced too quietly and within a deck of brighter coloured marketing brochures?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, That Guy said:

One practical aspect for me personally is hill-climbing. I really need to understand how it deals with hills - both going uphill and breaking downhill. I mean, I know, it cannot perform on a par with a 16" wheel... (Or... Can it?... :-))

did you mean: a lowly 16x can go up and down this certain street in your town...

• Like 1

On 2/6/2022 at 10:02 AM, That Guy said:

Thank you,@Kekafuch, very comprehensive!
Am I right that you could title it “why Abrams if there is Sherman?” :-)

Took about 10km to adjust to Sherman after riding the Abrams yesterday. The Sherman felt a lot smaller than it is after riding the Abrams.  It was a surreal feeling.

The Sherman Max w the upgraded motor and larger battery should be the  volume seller and better do it all wheel. For someone wanting a big wheel, the Monster Pro has more battery, bigger tire, and is lighter weight?  That’s my thoughts but I haven’t ridden the Monster Pro enough to comment more than it’s listed specs. I have a feeling there should be an Abrams Max… 

Edited by Kekafuch
  • Thanks 1

On 2/5/2022 at 1:08 PM, RetroThruster said:

I'm anxious to hear your thoughts, mine is supposed to be here tomorrow but weather here isn't so good and my work schedule sucks so it might be a few days before I get to ride it.  Oh, your outer box looks pristine, FedEx here is pretty rough on my packages, fingers crossed it shows up looking half as good as yours does.

And of course it shows up today with shipping damage, thanks FedEx.  My rear frame above the mudguard is bent down and touching the tire, I hope the frame isn't one piece for ease of repair, just my luck...

C72A2Dc.jpg

0RUBGVt.jpg

sorry to see this. You kind of predicted it too … I wonder what the solution of compromise is. If you are ok with DIY, I would want a new frame part sent out. Then you can try to fix the bent part yourself and have a new part as back up. The alternative? Ship the entire wheel back for replacement? 

Mine was shipped by UPS. Surprised they just leave a package like this without the need for a signature. 

• Like 1

I got more time on the abrams today. I rode up and down some fairly steep hills, the wheel doesn’t seem to lack any power going up and brakes well coming down. I will say that the power pads it comes with suck, It’s hard to get the leverage needed. Some Clark pads will make a big difference. 

the shell does make some noise but it seems to be just the plastic moving on the roll bars, it doesn’t feel like it’s cheap at all. 

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Kekafuch said:

sorry to see this. You kind of predicted it too … I wonder what the solution of compromise is. If you are ok with DIY, I would want a new frame part sent out. Then you can try to fix the bent part yourself and have a new part as back up. The alternative? Ship the entire wheel back for replacement? 

Mine was shipped by UPS. Surprised they just leave a package like this without the need for a signature. 

Yes I did, pretty much everything I get delivered here thru FedEx is damaged, I'm a carrier for the USPS and see first hand what these guys do here, you're lucky UPS delivered yours, but it would have been nice to ask for a signature for such an expensive package.

Jason is going to be receiving the part later this week and from what I've seen, it's an easy swap so I'll just do it myself, and yeah, I might try to straighten the damaged one to keep as a back up.

13 hours ago, Silver said:

I'm 6'4 and around 250lb so I can over power even my RS HT when I'm braking if I want to.
The Abrams on the other hand is super easy to over power both in braking and accelerating.

Yup.

That gets right to the point: a 100V 60mph EUC simply cannot give as much acceleration as a 100V 48mph EUC.

Freespin speed and voltage are a great way to summarize any model's performance, and let us ignore diameter, power ratings, and other distracting marketing.

Edited by RagingGrandpa
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Silver said:

I could really use some better sidepads as the stock ones really do suck but I did a video of me overpowering it I'll post later.

Screenshot_20220210-122750.thumb.png.9939c7981575e6df6fee8de289c764c0.png

Getting used to how much of a gyro effect it has at high speed will definitely take me a while turning is a very different experience

Wow and that’s on strong/hard mode? That’s nuts! I don’t think I could stand that.  

24 minutes ago, Silver said:

It's in medium mode but it dips just as much in hard. I probably should have done it in hard mode fore the video I just don't like hard mode I have a harder time balancing in hard mode.

Wow yeah that looks like you’re really not putting that much effort to get it to dip pretty crazy.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Denny Paul said:

Wow yeah that looks like you’re really not putting that much effort to get it to dip pretty crazy.

Yeah, At speed It doesn't feel like it lacks power even when breaking but once you get around walking speed it becomes really easy to overpower. I was hoping since it's advertised as having more torque then the Sherman that it wouldn't be so bad on the low end but as long as it's not cutting out I guess it's not a deal breaker.

• Like 1

The low speed grumbles sound a lot like the S18 when it's pushed at low speed.

Q: one one of your braking passes (~1:12) it looked like the wheel held upright until you were almost stopped, then quickly tipped back. Did it feel that way?

21 minutes ago, Tawpie said:

Q: one one of your braking passes (~1:12) it looked like the wheel held upright until you were almost stopped, then quickly tipped back. Did it feel that way?

Yes and no, I pulled back on it again and it felt like it dipped because of that. I think that one might have gotten to the point where it was trying to start going backwards but I'm not sure

• Thanks 1