New Veteran "Abrams" 22-inch Wheel

xiiijojjo

Hey guys, what firmware do you have listed on Abrams?

I emailed LeaperKim asking about latest updates into the reported cutout issues and bearings. They responded by asking what my motor code is and that they will have a tech report to me. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Silver said:

It's in medium mode but it dips just as much in hard. I probably should have done it in hard mode fore the video I just don't like hard mode I have a harder time balancing in hard mode.

Thanks for sharing, you did a great job with this test, even without proper power pads!
It seems within range for a high speed wheel, when reaching near zero speeds.
And it's the heaviest out here.

Kind of liking how it recoverers however instead of giving up, regaining balance in a reasonable way.
They definitely fixed the issue with the early firmware and some motors, and they did it well.

Plus, it dips in a predictable way before being over powered, which gives you a little bit of time to anticipate and reduce pressure, or even to "feel" where the limit is with your feet. That's a very good characteristic IMO.

All in all, not ideal for low speed technical off-road when you're navigating terrain between roots and rocks and sometimes stop to rebalance and turn, but for other riding conditions, not bad!

Edited by supercurio
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Silver said:

Idk where to check that but looking on EUC world under wheel info it says 2.0.2

Mine was shipped out Mid December 2021 from China. Darknessbot says 2.0.02 for me.

Eevees says they have .03 and updated bearings from manufacturer. 

Only 3rd ride w my Abrams but slowly torquing it more and also surprised to find I can make it dip easier than my Sherman. Slowly working my way harder but so far I haven’t had any cut out issue w a number of jerks. 

Very curious to hear back with what LeaperKim has to say when they get my motor code. They specifically said they will check if firmware update is needed. 

With MadPack saying the firmware changed the ride feel, I am weary of updating without more feedback. 

B0F55246-3ABC-4AF7-A1B5-FF270E188EE8.jpeg

35 minutes ago, supercurio said:

Kind of liking how it recoverers however instead of giving up, regaining balance in a reasonable way.
They definitely fixed the issue with the early firmware and some motors, and they did it well.

Yeah if it this one had the hall sensor or firmware problems I'm pretty sure I would have found out by now.

22 minutes ago, Kekafuch said:

Only 3rd ride w my Abrams but slowly torquing it more and also surprised to find I can make it dip easier than my Sherman

I was wondering how it compared to the Sherman I'm surprised that the low end is worse on the Abrams since I had heard about it not being very good on the Sherman and it had been marked as having more tourqe then the Sherman on ewheels but I guess that is the cost of such a big wheel

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Silver said:

Yeah if it this one had the hall sensor or firmware problems I'm pretty sure I would have found out by now.

Hahaha no doubt!

1 hour ago, Silver said:

I was wondering how it compared to the Sherman I'm surprised that the low end is worse on the Abrams since I had heard about it not being very good on the Sherman and it had been marked as having more tourqe then the Sherman on ewheels but I guess that is the cost of such a big wheel

I understand why many would say that the low end torque of the Sherman is bad but after some comparison I disagree.
Some time ago I tried over-powering all my friends wheels, and after succeeding to do so I was surprised to realize that the Sherman needed the most effort of the bunch.

However, no doubt, it's hard to extract the low-end torque out of the Sherman. Its "throttle response" is very smoothed over time and limited at lowest speeds so it appears sluggish, and it requires good technique and/or pads for climbing, but it's definitely there and not that easy to overpower for a high-speed wheel.

Edited by supercurio
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Silver said:

sorry my bad. What I meant to say is I was surprised to feel the dip on the Abrams while torquing it standing still.

I never got it to dip as much as you demonstrate.  I never paid much attention to this in my EUC journey. Only cause of the reports, I had to “test” it out.

I then did the same w my Sherman. Actually it’s close and I felt the Sherman is easier to dip or looser when it does start dipping. 

Sherman to me feels like it struggles when starting in a steep hill. Abrams wasn’t getting me up a hill any faster at a crawl but it didn’t sound like it was struggling. I will attribute that to me not being able to extract the power. 

Did a 40km familiar path. Average speed was 5kmh faster on the Abrams! Felt much more relaxed not worrying about potholes and more comfortable around traffic.  Carving is fun and feels like the I can stay leaning for long periods of time which is getting addictive. I still feel the Sherman is faster wheel and I got caught a couple times trying to do a 180 at a stop sign but reminded I am on a 100lbs wheel. 

I feel with the bigger wheel, it requires alot of power to feel remotely agile. That’s probably where all the power is going. Curious now about how a Monster Pro compares. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Kekafuch said:

I got caught a couple times trying to do a 180 at a stop sign but reminded I am on a 100lbs wheel.

When I'm just on one pedal standing at a light it's alot of work to balance it with the one leg. And if you lose balance it really wants to fall since it's so tall

On 2/10/2022 at 3:51 PM, supercurio said:

It's in medium mode but it dips just as much in hard. I probably should have done it in hard mode fore the video I just don't like hard mode I have a harder time balancing in hard mode.

I took the abrams out for a longer ride today, trying to get familiar with it. 
after seeing the over powering video I thought I’d give it a try on mine. 
my height is 5’7” and riding weight is 195. I was not able to overpower the wheel, not in soft medium or hard, not accelerating or braking. 
I tried repeatedly and had no dipping whatsoever, I even leaned like kuji a couple times trying to get it to dip. 

maybe the abrams isn’t as well suited for bigger riders as previously thought. Or it might be possible that some wheels are responding differently. 

• Like 2

I think the Abrams has two beepers. I've never heard about that, so does anyone know if the second beeper functions as one final pre-cutout warning? How does it work exactly? Here's a video:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/qvN7tDXjRuEBMEsg6

Edit: By the way, the beeper is a full 10db louder than the EXN beeper from the rider's perspective:

Screenshot_20220211-185640~2.png

Screenshot_20220211-185543~2.png

Edit 2: I'm going to test this again outdoors, I'm thinking I was getting some kind of echo in my basement and there really is just one alarm.

Edited by Dan Hillary
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Dan Hillary said:

I think the Abrams has two beepers. I've never heard about that, so does anyone know if the second beeper functions as one final pre-cutout warning? How does it work exactly? Here's a video:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/qvN7tDXjRuEBMEsg6

That's a great idea if true!

23 minutes ago, InfiniteWheelie said:

The more I see the more I want one, I just wish the battery was bigger. I can't imagine why they made a bigger wheel like this and lowered the range. A few extra kilos is no big deal on a wheel like this.

The only thing I can think of is that there will be a Max Abrams and a good price bump to combat inflation. Sherman Max is more than 25-% more than what I paid for the Sherman with only 8-9% more battery. 

Porsche 911 is not practical vs a SUV or sedan but it stirs the emotions and draws in a crowd of enthusiasts. Abrams is like an enthusiast wheel in its current form.  Carving isn’t much more efficient than the 20” wheels but the feel is dramatically different and not necessarily positive but if you like cornering at speed or want to work the wheel, the Abrams is fun in that sense. 

Seated experience is almost perfect on the Abrams. And because the structure is solid, it lends well to holding the riders weight. The chassis style build lends itself well if there’s any groups wanting to modify the wheel. 

• Like 2

Follow up on emailing Linnea directly from the Leaper Kim website regarding the cut out issue and firmware update … They asked for the motor code that’s printed on the motor cover. 

Today, I got email response back simply stating … firmware update not required. 

I have 2.0.02 and there’s 2.0.03 out there according to eevees. 

There’s video posted here of some dips and I confirm that I can get mine to dip back pretty easily (although not as far back as the other guy here) when jerking it in soft and medium mode while holding a wall for support. It feels predictable and the wheel hasn’t cut out.

Getting more confidence about the Abrams but still waiting to hear and see more updates on the forums. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Kekafuch said:

The pedals and on WrongWay’s Abrams sure do look like they move around quite a bit.

He said he is on the most resent firmware. Is there a problem with it or something? he didn't say anything about the peddle dip being a new problem but my wheel definitely isn't acting like that

1 hour ago, Silver said:

He said he is on the most resent firmware. Is there a problem with it or something? he didn't say anything about the peddle dip being a new problem but my wheel definitely isn't acting like that

I am curious as well. I wonder if it’s something WrongWay can sense and other riders can’t. He seemed to have a huge issue about pedal movements on the custom EXN he reviewed when others swear by the custom program. 

Beginning to think there might even be 2 motors out there. I emailed LeaperKim about any updates information an Abrams user should know about. They asked for motor code and then replied that “firmware update is not required”. I am still weary about my Abrams even though I have been riding it pretty much how I ride 

it would be awesome to have a more detailed answer about what the firmware changes actually do. 

NYC crew looks like they have their demo Abrams finally. So I am sure more opinions will surface this weekend. 

4 hours ago, Silver said:

My wheel doesn’t do that either. It appears that some of the abrams are behaving differently than others.

• Like 1