New Veteran "Abrams" 22-inch Wheel

xiiijojjo

My controller after 4000km. Not a speck of dust or water ingress. My chassis is flexing where the tire will easily rub the inner fender. It does seem the flex is from the bar that spans the axle to the front/back but I am not sure. 

D64E0273-9D5F-4A83-AEDB-D60AA7B5A46C.jpeg

• Like 3

15 hours ago, kiitick said:

I LOVE the abrams.  I've been tempted to buy another one from eevee's because that is such a great price. I'd for sure sell my sherman to get another abrams.

Riding on main roads at 50+ mph, going over potholes, how would you rank your 3 wheels : Abrams, Sherman, and S22?

Those that have the Abrams, what siliconing do I need to do. In the reviews it looks like I need to plug the holes by the tail light, but anything else? I don't ride in bad weather so I am not too concerned, but I would like this to last. I have had my MSX 100V for 4 years and it is still going strong. Anything I need to do to make it better? I don't know if anyone has a recommendation on pedals or if the stocks are okay.

4 minutes ago, Fuerte said:

Abrams, what siliconing do I need to do

Take some time to study the teardown, I think the ingress points become clear from it.

https://ecodrift-ru.translate.goog/2021/11/30/veteran-abrams-razbiraem/?_x_tr_sl=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en&_x_tr_pto=wapp

@techyiam

I would rank the wheels on main roads going 30 mph (that's about as fast as I ride) in this order. S22, Abrams, Sherman.  Although the abrams FEELS more massive, it has SO MUCH extra power behind it. But it is a tall sucker. It's too tall for my little brother, who is 5'8". It took me some time to get used to feeling the wheel against my knees and I'm 5'11". With the price of the abrams on eevee's, I've been seriously tempted to try and sell the sherman. It's a better ride, higher pedals, bigger tire.  But again, it's huge. 

17 minutes ago, kiitick said:

@techyiam

I would rank the wheels on main roads going 30 mph (that's about as fast as I ride) in this order. S22, Abrams, Sherman.  Although the abrams FEELS more massive, it has SO MUCH extra power behind it. But it is a tall sucker. It's too tall for my little brother, who is 5'8". It took me some time to get used to feeling the wheel against my knees and I'm 5'11". With the price of the abrams on eevee's, I've been seriously tempted to try and sell the sherman. It's a better ride, higher pedals, bigger tire.  But again, it's huge. 

If you don't  mind sharing your thoughts, what would be some of the reasons why you ranked the S22 higher than the Abrams.

Does the Abrams have more perceived power than than the S22?

Between the S22 and the Abrams, which one has better emergency braking at 30 mph?

Both the S22 and the Abrams sale prices are looking rather attractive. I'm trying to figure out which one would be better for riding on main roads.

Thanks.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Fuerte said:

I am excited to be able to sit on a wheel.

From what Bradley said in his Sherman-S tear down video, the upper sub-structure is not that rigid, and over time, it will become loose. Others also commented on that. You may want to do a little digging to see whether the Abrams is suitable for seated riding. 

7 minutes ago, Fuerte said:

I am going to be building a seat on the roll cage so it should be just peachy!

I can't be sure, because I haven't seen the Abrams that have this issue. But from what I have read or heard, that roll bar is not that well anchored to the pedal hangers. 

Structurally, the largest load on an euc is the rider. And in the past, typically riders stand on their pedals. The shell is only for holding the controller, and battery packs, primarily. So that structure doesn't have to be that strong. In the Abrams case, it isn't a shell. Instead, there is a piece of sheet metal that runs up the center, on either side, and the roll bars, that support the controller module up top.

You may want to contact Bradley at EEVEES to see what he recommends. 

The Abrams ranks lower for one simple reason, suspension. I've got mine dialed in for bumps in the road, I don't jump at all. It is a smoother ride. The pedals are higher on the s22, which makes it a bit more comfortable for my knees. Practice emergency braking on the Abrams. Eventually you'll be able to reach down and grab the frame and really yank back. It took me a few weeks, but having something to grab into made me feel safer in emergency braking. But the Abrams weighs more, so it doesn't quite stop as quickly.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Fuerte said:

I thought it was more structurally "Beefy".

Sitting on it should be fine but it is not beefy, it's just heavy. The frame is not strong and bends easily, every time I put my weight on just one foot it would cause the whole body to flex and scrape on the wheel. I've never had that problem with my RS or Master. 

10 hours ago, techyiam said:

Traveling at 60+ km/h (37+ mph) speeds, is the Abrams difficult to stop when compared to a Sherman? 

For experienced riders, does the Abrams have a wobbling issue under hard riding?

It's the only wheel I have ever ridden without at c38 motor but it's pretty easy to over power. It stops ok especially if you grab on the roll bar so you can pull harder. Be carful though it's really easy to over power it while breaking. Most of the time It would just dip but while testing to see if I could stop as fast as my RS HT I overpowered the wheel and ended up sliding on my ass for a few meters.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Good information Silver, could you share if this was recently or when it first came out? Also, was it with the new firmware or original? I don't know if the body is the same or not, but the EEVEE's Abrams have a new motor, so I don't know if anything else was changed.

1 hour ago, Fuerte said:

Good information Silver, could you share if this was recently or when it first came out? Also, was it with the new firmware or original? I don't know if the body is the same or not, but the EEVEE's Abrams have a new motor, so I don't know if anything else was changed.

The design of the frame on the Abrams was good in concept but implemented very poorly the flat metal bar on the bottom bends side to side very easily and there is alot of flex in the frame due to this design. As far as I'm aware it was never changed (I don't think it was selling well enough to justify them putting anymore money into) so the new motor is probably the only difference. The Sherman S looks like it takes what they were going for with the Abrams frame and improves on it but it's really bad on the Abrams. Alot of reviews described it as feeling really well built but also feeling very cheep at the same time and once you get it you under stand why. 

I had one of the earlier Abrams from Ewheels and had about 500 miles on it with no problem (other then overpowering it on breaking) I installed then new firmware to "fix the hall sensor problem" some time over the summer and 1 or 2 rides later it cut out on me and gave me a hall sensor error. Jason was really fed up with how Veteran was handling the whole situation and he gave me the option to just return it for a different wheel I got the Master and haven't looked back.

It was a nice riding wheel, the feeling of throwing it around and grabbing the front handle was a lot of fun. It was the most stable I have ever ridden too. But, after everything that happened with the Abrams and how Veteran responded to the problems I'm never buying another LeaperKim wheel again.

Razbiraem-monokoleso-Veteran-Abrams-6.jp

• Upvote 1

Spoiler

Might it be possible to strengthen the cross plate on the lower part of the chassis of the Abrams? Would there be space to do this between the chassis and battery packs? Or to strengthen the battery packs across where they meet this plate, my thoughts are toward reducing any potential for twisting or flex, though not being an owner, I have to flag up that this is purely conjecture on my part and this may not be the main source of problems. An alternative solution might be an aftermarket replacement flat plate, made of stronger material?

1 hour ago, Freeforester said:
  Hide contents

Might it be possible to strengthen the cross plate on the lower part of the chassis of the Abrams? Would there be space to do this between the chassis and battery packs? Or to strengthen the battery packs across where they meet this plate, my thoughts are toward reducing any potential for twisting or flex, though not being an owner, I have to flag up that this is purely conjecture on my part and this may not be the main source of problems. An alternative solution might be an aftermarket replacement flat plate, made of stronger material?

EUC you, found on Instagram have been making High Quality upgrade/tuning parts for EUC's for years, such as raised height pedal hangers, pedals, fibreglass shell covers etc.

They Also have an upgraded Veteran Abrams reinforced frame/pipe/arch holder that would address the flimsy, damage prone offering supplied by Veteran/Leaperkim themselves:   EUC you (@eucyou) • Instagram photos and videos

Edited by fbhb
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Fuerte said:

I am having a hard time understanding the EUC stuff, do they have a website where they sell or ?

It seems the best way to contact/order is through his Instagram, although there is Also an EUC you Facebook page: Euc You | Facebook

He is based in Saint Petersburg, Russia, so for obvious reasons there is that fact to be aware of!

4 hours ago, Fuerte said:

FBHB,

I am having a hard time understanding the EUC stuff, do they have a website where they sell or ?

Contact via DMs. They currently request crypto. 

On 11/8/2022 at 4:47 AM, techyiam said:

Did you gave to have to seal the tail light with silicone yourself? 

Plan on breaking the wheel down over the winter. Will be sure to seal up the rear light as per EUCUpgrades.

Will also try Kevin’s parallel capacitor mod. 

The axles being similar to the Max, I also think all Abrams owners should follow the Sherman Max axle hole sealant thread. 

Then on my Abrams, the plastic spacer at the pedal hanger on both sides has cracked off. The battery case maybe could use a shim between its bottom and where it sits on the Pedal Hanger. Mine has about 1:8” of space so the weight might be held on that one bolt. 

E0B6F7BB-2536-4FB5-9C81-31D9EFA65345.jpeg

Edited by Kekafuch
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1