New Veteran "Abrams" 22-inch Wheel

xiiijojjo

On 2/7/2023 at 8:57 AM, lirva said:

Just got my Abrams, Motor code was 21120523 which might be ok.

Firmware is 2.0.2, EUC world shows me that 2.0.15 is available, is it safe to upgrade?

Owners of Abrams with motor code of 2111xxxx, and 2112xxxx who have reported said they had no cutouts.

Initially, I was very hesitant to update the firmware from 2.0.2 to 2.0.15 because in a old video, Madpack said that after an update, the pedal sensitivity dropped considerably and he was longer enjoying riding the Abrams. However, the update he used back then was quite old. Firmware 2.0.15 is the last one for the Abrams that came out in June of 2021. 

Also, in the comment section of a more recent video, he said he had heard that the firmware 2.0.15 restored back the pedal sensitivity. But he never tried it himself. 

Long story short, I finally took the plunge because firmware 2.0.15 has the hall sensorless system as a backup to the regular hall sensors, to prevent cutout due to bad hall sensors signals. 

After updating firmware from 2.0.2 to 2.0.15, the motor was less loud, and the pedal sensitivity was fine. There was no lost in performance. I did not experience anything negative.

The firmware update requires you to find and download the firmware from a website. And install it.

You need to establish a Bluetooth connection to your Abrams. 

You need to enable location for both the phone and the app. Don't forget the latter.

To do the update, your Abrams has to be resting on the rear, bottom crash bar. And the Abrams has to be turned on. But there is no kill switch. 

To do this, turn on your Abrams, lean the wheel sideways until self-balancing is disabled. Then get the Abrams to rest on its rear crash bar. The Abrams sitting on the rear crash bar is not stable. You will need to have something to prevent it from falling sideways. 

Best of luck.

Edited by techyiam
  • Like 2

Has anyone had vibration problems on their Abrams, especially while walking it or going slowly? It seems my wheel is starting to lightly vibrate at times on and off, and I even had a few stronger/louder pulses while turning sharply with the trolly handle. It’s still somewhat minor but seems to be getting worse. Any idea what may be causing it?

Edited by InfiniteWheelie

2 minutes ago, InfiniteWheelie said:

Has anyone experienced vibration on their Abrams l, especially while walking it or going slowly? It seems my wheel is starting to lightly vibrate at times. and I even had a few strong pulses while turning sharply when walking it. It’s still somewhat minor but seems to be getting worse. Any idea what the cause may be?

Sorry, I have not experienced any kind of vibrations. 

I walked around with it in a large supermarket, and I have practiced going slow below 4 km/h for miles. Never have I experienced any kind of vibrations. 

20 minutes ago, techyiam said:

Sorry, I have not experienced any kind of vibrations. 

I walked around with it in a large supermarket, and I have practiced going slow below 4 km/h for miles. Never have I experienced any kind of vibrations. 

I didn’t either until the last few days, It was very smooth before that.

Edited by InfiniteWheelie

16 hours ago, lirva said:

Just got my Abrams, Motor code was 21120523 which might be ok.

Firmware is 2.0.2, EUC world shows me that 2.0.15 is available, is it safe to upgrade?

I upgraded without problems and the wheel doesn't grunt nearly as much now.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Jonah Hax said:

I upgraded without problems and the wheel doesn't grunt nearly as much now.

+1.

My update was quick and painless.

It is not like the V12 firmware update, which was very iffy, and painfully slow. What made it worse was that the update was in multiple parts, no feedback nor instructions were given.

30 minutes ago, Jonah Hax said:

Some of you guys are bringing the average way down! Lean forward more ;)

You should tell that to the Master crowd. 

The top speed of a Master is definitely higher than the Abrams.

The real reason is probably because more Abrams riders are riding on roads.

1 hour ago, techyiam said:

The real reason is probably because more Abrams riders are riding on roads.

The real reason will be because there are a lot fewer Abrams than the others and they all rode at higher speeds. The average top riding speed of 1 wheel could be say 40Mph but add another wheel who only managed 15Mph then your average is suddenly 27.5Mph.

With the Master having so many more wheels out there means the top speed of each wheel will vary greater affecting the overall average top speed.

52 minutes ago, The Brahan Seer said:

The real reason will be because there are a lot fewer Abrams than the others and they all rode at higher speeds. The average top riding speed of 1 wheel could be say 40Mph but add another wheel who only managed 15Mph then your average is suddenly 27.5Mph.

With the Master having so many more wheels out there means the top speed of each wheel will vary greater affecting the overall average top speed.

That is the point, though. People who buys the Abrams has a higher tendency to go faster. Not so with the Master. The headroom is there but not enough of them go fast enough to give a higher average speed. But this is what this statistic shows.

50 minutes ago, techyiam said:

People who buys the Abrams has a higher tendency to go faster.

But you don't know that for sure because there is not enough data. As I explained before. Statistics are pretty meaningless at the best of times but certainly are if you have very little data points.

I do appreciate that people buying 22" wheels are likely to use it for on road but if anything with the master and CP being able to get to higher speeds a lot quicker than 22" wheels you would expect them to be higher  and i'm sure next years results will prove it.

56 minutes ago, techyiam said:

Not so with the Master.

Though I appreciate what you are saying re headroom and the Masters battery capacity. The average top speed is only 20Mph so maybe 22" wheels just go on longer straights and streets whilst Masters do this but not for so long and also go off trails more.

19 minutes ago, The Brahan Seer said:

I do appreciate that people buying 22" wheels are likely to use it for on road but if anything with the master and CP being able to get to higher speeds a lot quicker than 22" wheels you would expect them to be higher  and i'm sure next years results will prove it.

Commander Pro is not in stock yet for the international market, so no need to talk about statistics when there is insufficient data.

However, the Master is a different story. It sold very well, in fact much better than the Abrams. 

So, it is a valid comparison. 

1 minute ago, techyiam said:

So, it is a valid comparison. 

except..

3 minutes ago, techyiam said:

It sold very well, in fact much better than the Abrams. 

so it is not a valid comparison. Can't compare results from say 20 wheels verses 200.

But you obviously think different which is your prerogative.

On 2/12/2023 at 6:04 AM, The Brahan Seer said:

Though I appreciate what you are saying re headroom and the Masters battery capacity. The average top speed is only 20Mph so maybe 22" wheels just go on longer straights and streets whilst Masters do this but not for so long and also go off trails more.

This plus there have been people saying that the Master is not for everyone. It can be wobbly.

The Abrams has a heavy motor and 22" tire. It is a wheel that is comfortable at higher speeds. 

Edited by techyiam
  • Upvote 1

Compared an Abrams 2110 motorcode to a newer 2111 motorcode. The only immediate difference is this PCB installed which I assume cleans up and simplifies the installation. 

97C64D83-FEBE-4686-9621-49F8B65148E3.jpeg

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

1 hour ago, InfiniteWheelie said:

@techyiam Weird, I’ve never had wobbles on my Abrams in any pedal mode. I find the wheel to be extremely stable, even more so than the Sherman.

I did however try V13 and had a sudden hard wobble at around 40 km/h or so during hard acceleration. Was worried I might go down but let off and recovered.

Thanks. Good to know.

What was your tire pressure? 

My Abrams is stock except for adding 4 capacitors to the controller board, and adding sealant to the fuse link boxes and tail light.

I get bad wobbles around 50 km/h and above, while not accelerating nor braking.

Pedal mode has big effect. Tire pressures seem to have some effect.

However, when I did a free spin test, the motor noise and vibration was almost nonexistent. The motor was whisper quiet, and the motor was super smooth. It ran monotonically to 98 km in one shot. Then the wheel was slowed to a stop. So I think the tire was mounted properly, and there is nothing odd that I could tell. 

I may have to gradually remove the cap mod and see if if introduced any new symptoms.

I know Chooch got a big wobble when he tried to brake on Jimmy Chang's Abrams. So I thought wobbles was to be expected on an Abrams. 

6 hours ago, Rebelfamly said:

Have you inflate the tire to chek in if you havent hardened slime that unbalance the wheel? Many pple complained about that. Really dangerous.

Thanks.

I have actually inspected the inside of the tire. There is no solidified tire sealant in there. In fact, the inside of the tire is clean of anything. I think they just glued the tire bead directly onto the rim.

4 hours ago, techyiam said:

Thanks.

I have actually inspected the inside of the tire. There is no solidified tire sealant in there. In fact, the inside of the tire is clean of anything. I think they just glued the tire bead directly onto the rim.

My Abrams had no tire sealant applied to it. The bead area was also clean of any adhesive. 

what I did notice … the screw just at the pedal that holds the battery side cover to the frame … the plastic on both side was cracked and sheared off. I used epoxy to reinforce. Having this anchor loose may cause an oscillation. I got vibration when braking hard or taking air off a speed bump and landing. Now seems ok but I also tightened up any loose bolts. 

edit … at the bottom of the battery side cover and the pedal hanger is 1/8” gap. I also added some material here to hold up the weight of the battery cases so not all the weight is on the fasteners. 

Edited by Kekafuch

1 hour ago, Kekafuch said:

My Abrams had no tire sealant applied to it. The bead area was also clean of any adhesive. 

Actually, the tire beads on my Abrams are glued to the rim.

If your tire beads aren’t glued on, does your tire loses air?

1 hour ago, Kekafuch said:

what I did notice … the screw just at the pedal that holds the battery side cover to the frame … the plastic on both side was cracked and sheared off. I used epoxy to reinforce. Having this anchor loose may cause an oscillation. I got vibration when braking hard or taking air off a speed bump and landing. Now seems ok but I also tightened up any loose bolts.

Thank you for sharing your insight. On my Abrams, the mounting holes of the battery cases/side covers don’t line up with the screw holes in the frame. So there are a lot of stresses placed on the plastic covers. Now that I know they can crack, I will have to do something about that.

I will have to look into it more carefully to determine how to best resolve the mounting issues with the battery covers.

How are you liking your Abrams?

I find that the more I ride it, the more I like it.

Other than how refined and planted it feels at speeds, I can’t get over how great it can brake with the front bar.